Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Rephrasing it as "whether or not breaking the law is good depends on whether or not you do it for the right reasons" doesn't actually change the substance of your argument.
I was going to write a bunch of sarcastic poo poo about how gay marriage is not a matter of personal belief, it is a matter of protecting a traditional institution thousands of years old, but mostly I'm just hoping that the light will come on and you'll realize that declaring your personal beliefs to be inarguable moral truths does not actually make them so. Also, I can't tell if you're saying that you know Kim Davis' mind and are certain that she is some sort of whitebread Cruella DeVille for gay weddings instead of spotted puppies, or you're just declaring that anyone who subscribes to a belief system in conflict with your own is a bad person.

Becoming a government official means accepting a responsibility to execute the law irrespective of your personal feelings about it, because not everyone agrees with every law and civilization is about agreeing to follow a set of common rules. It turns out that the proper role of government in respecting competing rights and interests while guaranteeing the security of its citizens has been a contentious topic for the whole of human history, so maybe you should take a step back from declaring that you, personally have deduced the one true answer.

You realize those are the exact same rationalizations used to argue that free states must return escaped slaves?

Returning escaped slaves is not a matter of personal belief, it is a matter of protecting a traditional institution thousands of years old.

Becoming a government official means accepting a responsibility to execute the law irrespective of your personal feelings about slavery, because not everyone agrees with every law and civilization is about agreeing to follow a set of common rules. It turns out that the proper role of government in respecting competing rights and interests while guaranteeing the security of its citizens and their chattel property has been a contentious topic for the whole of human history, so maybe you should take a step back from declaring that you, personally have deduced the one true answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No, he does not realize that, because he about as self-aware as a bag of nails.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dead Reckoning posted:

mostly I'm just hoping that the light will come on and you'll realize that declaring your personal beliefs to be inarguable moral truths does not actually make them so.

Someone treating their moral judgments as moral judgments? Well, I never! Haven't they heard that only the status quo is defensible?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dead Reckoning posted:

I was going to write a bunch of sarcastic poo poo about how gay marriage is not a matter of personal belief, it is a matter of protecting a traditional institution thousands of years ol--

You realize you can't un-assert an argument by tacking "I was going to write a bunch of sarcastic poo poo" in front of it, right? Your argument is dumb and wrong and your Trumpian mindset may have won most of the country, but it lost the West Coast, bigly.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah my favorite part is the very Trump-like assertion that "I was going to say" and then saying it anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

laws are legal

opinions are all equally valid, there's no such thing as one opinion being better than another

marriage is ruined if the gays get to have it

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Slicing the foreskin off little boys is 100% ok because grandpa's grandpa did it. Removing the clit from teenaged girls is ok because grandma's grandma ruined her clit with a knife. Thousand year old traditions are 100% immutable and can never ever be challenged or changed, true fact.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Leperflesh posted:

laws are legal

opinions are all equally valid, there's no such thing as one opinion being better than another

Psh, you only say that because you disagree with them. If you asked them, they'd say their opinion was better than yours!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a topic other than concern-trolling the thread, apparently Newman's leading over Chang now, and it's been sloooowly growing. We may well have a Democratic supermajority for the state.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I voted for Newman but man I got shitloads of mailers from some oil company superpac against him.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Roland Jones posted:

On a topic other than concern-trolling the thread, apparently Newman's leading over Chang now, and it's been sloooowly growing. We may well have a Democratic supermajority for the state.
Does that mean we could pass that law about 50% fossil fuels in the state or whatever (can't remember exactly what it was) that failed last time around?

edit: apparently it was a section of a bill; section got struck out and rest of the bill passed

quote:

The third major component of the bill -- a target to reduce oil use in cars and trucks by 50 percent over the next 15 years -- was struck down earlier in the week. The measure was strongly opposed by oil industry groups, including the Western States Petroleum Association, which insisted that the target would cripple California’s economy and even lead to bans on SUVs.
https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/california-bill-50-percent-renewables

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cicero posted:

Does that mean we could pass that law about 50% fossil fuels in the state or whatever (can't remember exactly what it was) that failed last time around?

edit: apparently it was a section of a bill; section got struck out and rest of the bill passed

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/california-bill-50-percent-renewables

quote:

and even lead to bans on SUVs.

Jesus Christ, I wish.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Roland Jones posted:

In less-great news, it looks like Applegate's challenge to Darrell Issa is going to fall juuuust short. Dammit.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Jesus Christ, I wish.

:same:, they make it sound like a bad thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FMguru posted:

In less-great news, it looks like Applegate's challenge to Darrell Issa is going to fall juuuust short. Dammit.
Pills. I was so happy when the early results said Issa was out on his rear end.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
Issa went on Breitbart news saying he's down with Trump draining the swamp. Issa is literally the picture definition of The Swamp. You'd think with him narrowly winning this time around he'd soften some of his shitbaggery but nope.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
This might be a shot in the dark, but does anyone here know something about the history of Mormonism in California? Specifically Sam Brannan, early Mormon settlers, the Gold Rush era. I am looking for some sources outside of Wikipedia...

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Fall Sick and Die posted:

This might be a shot in the dark, but does anyone here know something about the history of Mormonism in California? Specifically Sam Brannan, early Mormon settlers, the Gold Rush era. I am looking for some sources outside of Wikipedia...

I don't know poo poo about Mormons in California, but there was one particularly unique episode that I got to learn about when I worked in San Diego's Old Town -

See, in 1846, some ultra-nationalist by the name of Polk goes to war with Mexico for about 90% of what is today known as the American West. The Mormons, who had been living as a quasi-fiefdom state for a while decided they would do their part, as good Americans. One problem though: Iowa is today -charitably- the middle of loving nowhere, and this was even more so back in 1836. So the Mormons raised a brigade (or a platoon, it wasn't that many but it was in the triple digits I think) battlion of militia, and had them march off for California (no kidding, a 2000 mile march). Along the way they braved the harshest of the Mojave, the Sierra Nevadas, and worst of all, *the Central Valley* before they arrived in San Diego, looooong after the Mexicans had surrendered the state to the Americans. They helped build some buildings in Old Town, including a church which is still standing today, and then they took John C. Fremont (a major in the US Army who dared to take put our Beautiful Bear Flag Republic under US occupation) back east.

I believe the vast majority of the men that came with him stayed in California, having some pivotal influence when the Gold Rush began in earnest the next year.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 27, 2016

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
San Bernardino was to be the second largest outpost of Mormons outside of Deseret, due to California's comparative non-shittiness in relation to Salt Lake, Utah.

Joseph Smith called all of the Mormons back from California in in like 1860ish though, fearing that they would break off and become a more proposerus Mormon community, again due to California's comparative non-shittiness in relation to Salt Lake, Utah.

That's a pretty lovely summation but it is why to this day there is a huge concentration of Mormons in the Inland Empire.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
I had done some reading about Sam Brennan, a Mormon newspaperman in San Francisco, and how he'd tried to convince Brigham Young to settle in California rather than Salt Lake City but the guy would have none of it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

jeeves posted:

California's comparative non-shittiness in relation to Salt Lake

I didnt even really read the rest, but sometimes true truths need quoting.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fall Sick and Die posted:

I had done some reading about Sam Brennan, a Mormon newspaperman in San Francisco, and how he'd tried to convince Brigham Young to settle in California rather than Salt Lake City but the guy would have none of it.

Thank you brigham young

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
What's this poo poo I'm hearing about, "Oh prop 57 makes assault on a cop a misdemeanor!"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What's this poo poo I'm hearing about, "Oh prop 57 makes assault on a cop a misdemeanor!"

Sounds related to the poo poo about how it would flood the streets with kid diddlers, arsonists, and whatever else you can come up with that sounds awful.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Where should I be watching for updates on the Newman-Chang race?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

fronz posted:

Where should I be watching for updates on the Newman-Chang race?

http://sos.ca.gov

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Aeka 2.0 posted:

It doesn't make it a misdo, but the language of the proposition would appear to consider it a non-violent felony.

57 offers early parole for anyone convicted of a non-violent felony, but does not at any point define what constitutes a "non-violent felony." The only way the term is defined in CA law is PC 667.5, which reduces parole credits for persons convicted of certain specific crimes. The argument is that the proposition purports to offer early release for non-violent criminals, but that due to the authors' failure to identify what constitutes a non-violent offense, the law makes eligible for early release people convicted of crimes like assault w/ a deadly weapon on a peace officer, regular ADW, battery w/ serious bodily injury, solicitation to commit murder, or exploding a destructive device with intent to cause injury, all of which are violent felonies by any normative definition.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
All that voter fraud is paying off

https://twitter.com/passantino/status/803410122844180480

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Vote fraud failed to boot Issa, though. We need to fraud harder.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

maybe the close election in his district will cause him to moderate his posit-ahahahahahahaha who am i kidding.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Dead Reckoning posted:

It doesn't make it a misdo, but the language of the proposition would appear to consider it a non-violent felony.

57 offers early parole for anyone convicted of a non-violent felony, but does not at any point define what constitutes a "non-violent felony." The only way the term is defined in CA law is PC 667.5, which reduces parole credits for persons convicted of certain specific crimes. The argument is that the proposition purports to offer early release for non-violent criminals, but that due to the authors' failure to identify what constitutes a non-violent offense, the law makes eligible for early release people convicted of crimes like assault w/ a deadly weapon on a peace officer, regular ADW, battery w/ serious bodily injury, solicitation to commit murder, or exploding a destructive device with intent to cause injury, all of which are violent felonies by any normative definition.

To expand on this, they are eligible for parole once they serve the full length of their primary sentence.

So let's say you get three years for hitting a cop, plus ten more years for the dozen or so enhancements put on (extra years for gang affiliations or prior convictions or whatever else the DA can tack on there). Under the new law, you are eligible for parole in three years because that's what the primary charge called for.

And you only get out if the parole board agrees that you're not a risk to the community. Granted, the parole board is pretty lenient, but the nonsense about cop killers flooding the streets is the usual BS you get whenever something like this passes.

And nothing in prop 57 changed what is or isn't a misdemeanor or felony, so if you hear anyone saying that you know they don't actually know what the law says.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, unironically, the cops need to be hit more.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Leperflesh posted:

Also, unironically, the cops need to be hit more.

A good post. I'm quoting it because I normally get probated when I express a similar sentiment so I'll let you say it instead.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I'm kind of glad Newman won aside from the supermajority. He's an endearingly weird guy who clearly put together large parts of his campaign website personally.

I mean look at the picture his campaign gave the LA times.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Well, it looks like Rep. Xavier Becerra is going to be the new Attorney General to replace Harris.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Well, it looks like Rep. Xavier Becerra is going to be the new Attorney General to replace Harris.

I wonder if he'd consider running for governor against Newsom?

Mind you, I still consider myself a part of the Chiang gang.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Bizarro Watt posted:

I wonder if he'd consider running for governor against Newsom?

Mind you, I still consider myself a part of the Chiang gang.

I think it's more likely that he runs for reelection as AG in 2018, but who knows.

Also he's already made a "come at me bro" statement towards Trump.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

I think it's more likely that he runs for reelection as AG in 2018, but who knows.

Also he's already made a "come at me bro" statement towards Trump.

Been real proud of CA the past month

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Becerra's pretty cool (at least in the active in the community outreach and appearing to be available to constituents part) but what are his leanings?

I'm asking because we've had like the assistant DA or something come to a local school here in LA and basically say "Pot has no medicinal value and we are going to close down all these shops, especially the ones by schools". So I'm wondering how much of that is repeated in the LA politics circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FCKGW posted:

Been real proud of CA the past month

Yeah sweeping in a democratic super majority and having the collective state government flip the double bird at Trump has cheered me up considerably. For the most part we also nailed it with the propositions, the results of which I was absolutely dreading given the sheer number of them. The whole "let's accelerate the death penalty and make death row inmates slaves" vote still stings but this election made it clear that as a nation we're just not quite there yet in regards to abolishing the death penalty so maybe it was unrealistic of me to assume California would be so drastically ahead of the curve :shrug: