Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

BizarroAzrael posted:

Neither Vidar nor the Vidar disappointed, that fight was great and it's a really cool suit, possibly my favorite so far in the series, along with the Rebakes and Kimarises.

I think it's interesting that every time Julieta makes an observation about Vidar/Gali's behaviour or personality he says "oh really?" like he doesn't really know himself or something, or that he's playing a part some of the time. Or maybe it's something about his state of mind, perhaps memory loss from being beaten by McGillis.

I think that Vidar, if he is supposed to be Gaelio, is playing the long game when it comes to his revenge against McGillis. He's not going nuts and seeking out McGillis to get his vengeance as fast as possible. Instead, I'd say that when Vidar can't actually do something to McGillis, he is actually trying his best to be what Gjallahorn is supposed to be: a force that keeps things peaceful when someone tries to start poo poo, without excessive cruelty. The "oh really"s are in a "is that what you're getting from these conversations?" tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Something that's kind of been put to the side given McGillis being creepy and all the SHOCKING REVELATIONS this episode?

Man, Akihiro's had some character growth. Look at him talk with Ride, and then compare it with where he was at in episode one. Mr. "I am human debris, and therefore am not allowed free will or happiness" is now going out and telling Ride to come on in and eat with everyone else. He's willing to get attached to people, despite his losses, and he even loving smiles. Hard to imagine him doing that early season one.

Not that I'm surprised it's gotten mostly ignored because, holy poo poo, everyone gets scenes this episode. Some more than others, but there's at least a small character beat for the overwhelming majority of the cast, including the most Chad's ever gotten to do and a pretty decent action scene. All without being confusing or stopping the plot dead in its tracks.

We're about a third of the way into the second season, and things are looking pretty good. I mean, wheels could come off at any time, but right now IBO season 2 is looking confident.

Maybe this will finally convince him to complete the last missing he wanted in a family but never had, a fiancee/wife and tells Lafter how emotionally vulnerable he feels. Maybe this will give us a proper backstory for Lafter and Azee

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wow, geez, I stuck my head outside this thread for a bit, and while the greater internet is always lined with dumb/weird opinions, this episode has brought it allllll crawling out. :barf:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Wow, geez, I stuck my head outside this thread for a bit, and while the greater internet is always lined with dumb/weird opinions, this episode has brought it allllll crawling out. :barf:
You can't drop a post like this and not tell us more.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

You can't drop a post like this and not tell us more.

Let's just say that a lot of dudes don't see what's wrong with McGillis's scene with Almiria and leave it at that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Let's just say that a lot of dudes don't see what's wrong with McGillis's scene with Almiria and leave it at that.
Oh jesus. Yeah let's just leave it there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

Oh jesus. Yeah let's just leave it there.

Dont leave it in the thread, take it outside and burn it! :barf:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Like, it's not even just the (overt) paedophiles. People are going 'he's being nice and supportive to the small child he's been saddled with, how is that bad?'.

Some people just don't get subtext, I guess. Or context. Or most other forms of text.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, is there anyone who still thinks this season isn't going to end with Tekkadan getting its poo poo kicked in and an obscene amount of deaths?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who still thinks this season isn't going to end with Tekkadan getting its poo poo kicked in and an obscene amount of deaths?

Me, because I'm pretty sure that'll happen around the halfway/two-thirds mark. poo poo is coming to a head fast, and we're not even ten episodes into the season.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Me, because I'm pretty sure that'll happen around the halfway/two-thirds mark. poo poo is coming to a head fast, and we're not even ten episodes into the season.

I'm idly wondering if we'll see another timeskip at the halfway mark between cours, just to settle in things like Tekkadan being the Sovereigns of Mars before it all goes right down the toilet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Like even if I'm being exceedingly generous to the people not getting it, I'd have to presume they're just really loving stupid and/or very naive.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm more certain of it now at least than I was like...I dunno, five or six episodes ago. Then again we kept saying that it would happen in season 1 as well.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 29, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Gaelio more like the Count of Montecristo.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This will happen, but I think most of the deaths won't be Tekkadan members, based on last season.

Ka0 posted:

Gaelio more like the Count of Montecristo.

Oh good it's not just me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Akihiro's going to have to kill his girlfriend; hopefully the result will be another Meat Loaf video like we got when it happened in Victory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Akihiro's going to have to kill his girlfriend; hopefully the result will be another Meat Loaf video like we got when it happened in Victory.

If When Naze makes good on his promise I could see the Turbines making a suicide revenge run against Tekkadan.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If When Naze makes good on his promise I could see the Turbines making a suicide revenge run against Tekkadan.

To be honest I think it'd be far more likely for Naze to fall on his sword (or be straight up murdered before he has the chance to on his terms) and for Tekkadan and the remains of the Turbines to team up to go to war against Teiwaz. Orga's loyalty is to Naze, not Teiwaz as a whole. Naze dying for him is pretty much a one-way ticket to "burn it all to the ground" town and I can't really see the rest of the Turbines not wanting in on that.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bloody Pom posted:

Jesus christ McGillis. :catstare:

It's really hard to read that as not being :aatrek: as gently caress.

I blame Japan not considering how creepy that is to a western audience.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm pretty sure they know exactly how creepy it is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

It's really hard to read that as not being :aatrek: as gently caress.

I blame Japan not considering how creepy that is to a western audience.

lol

No, Japan and most writers of Japanese fiction aren't cool with grown men seducing nine-year-olds either. This was supposed to be seriously uncomfortable- IBO is all about the horror of children being exploited by cynical adults, so to remind us that McGillis is a seriously bad person, they had him cynically exploit a child in the most direct and creepy way possible.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
On a different note, I really love the new mech designs this season. The Shiden has an almost Leo-like design, looking jankier and with segmented armor and sharped lines, compared to the sleek armor of the the Grazes, it gives a nice contrast between the factions that I feel like we don't usually see

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

lol

No, Japan and most writers of Japanese fiction aren't cool with grown men seducing nine-year-olds either. This was supposed to be seriously uncomfortable- IBO is all about the horror of children being exploited by cynical adults, so to remind us that McGillis is a seriously bad person, they had him cynically exploit a child in the most direct and creepy way possible.

Yeah. I'd feel more ill at ease if we hadn't just had Galan showing off how good the writers are at "You know how we said this bad person is charismatic and likable when he wants to be, despite not caring for any of the people he's exploiting? We can actually do that."

I'm pretty sure this is something we're supposed to be skeeved by.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My basic problem with reading the writers is that they want to keep convincing me Naze Turbine is a better person than he is and that colors a lot of my feelings on "am I reading this right?"

Regardless, yes, McGillis was supposed to be creepy in that scene.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zebulon posted:

To be honest I think it'd be far more likely for Naze to fall on his sword (or be straight up murdered before he has the chance to on his terms) and for Tekkadan and the remains of the Turbines to team up to go to war against Teiwaz. Orga's loyalty is to Naze, not Teiwaz as a whole. Naze dying for him is pretty much a one-way ticket to "burn it all to the ground" town and I can't really see the rest of the Turbines not wanting in on that.

Amida's conversation with Yellow Coat in this episode pretty clearly states that, much like Orga, the Turbines' loyalty is also to Naze and not necessarily to Teiwaz; in fact, Amida sounded pretty much disgusted with your average Teiwaz mafioso. In the event that Naze bites it, I seriously doubt the Turbines would be willing to side with people like Yellow Coat who they detest versus siding with their hubby's beloved little brother.

I can see Yellow Coat and possibly a coalition of other disaffected Teiwaz bosses who resent Tekkadan's rise putting together something on the down low to make Orga seriously stumble and force Naze to live up to his (incredibly stupid) promise, which would then leave Tekkadan without a friend at the Old Man's side and make them far more vulnerable. A huge amount of Tekkadan's military power is based on them getting repairs and upgrades and mobile suits through Teiwaz pipelines so if they suddenly fall out of favor or come into conflict with their parent organization their only options at this point are going to be either to become totally dependent on McGillis or to die.

ImpAtom posted:

My basic problem with reading the writers is that they want to keep convincing me Naze Turbine is a better person than he is and that colors a lot of my feelings on "am I reading this right?"

We've already had multiple opportunities for the show to take a more critical turn about the Turbines and they've never taken it, so it's not going to happen at this point. Naze has pretty consistently been shown by the writers to be so nice and pure and selfless and good that doves nest in his fedora. The closest thing to Naze actually demanding anything from Tekkadan in exchange for his tireless support was him saying "OK, Orga, I smoothed over you embroiling your organization in a massive power struggle in the government of the solar system without discussing it with any other member of the organization you're supposed to be a part of by promising to kill myself if you gently caress it up but I swear guys next time you do that you're grounded young man!!!"

I actually dislike Naze specifically because the show has basically portrayed the man as so weirdly spotless he might as well be Jesus H. Christ, Mafioso Harem Master.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Kanos posted:

We've already had multiple opportunities for the show to take a more critical turn about the Turbines and they've never taken it, so it's not going to happen at this point. Naze has pretty consistently been shown by the writers to be so nice and pure and selfless and good that doves nest in his fedora. The closest thing to Naze actually demanding anything from Tekkadan in exchange for his tireless support was him saying "OK, Orga, I smoothed over you embroiling your organization in a massive power struggle in the government of the solar system without discussing it with any other member of the organization you're supposed to be a part of by promising to kill myself if you gently caress it up but I swear guys next time you do that you're grounded young man!!!"

I actually dislike Naze specifically because the show has basically portrayed the man as so weirdly spotless he might as well be Jesus H. Christ, Mafioso Harem Master.

To be fair he hasn't had much screentime in S2 yet, and the dumber parts of his character are from after S1 took a nosedive into The Adventures of Princess Kudelia and her Noble Knights.

Given the direction S2 has taken with re-framing things from S1 I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and suspect that we may start seeing a monster beneath the nice guy facade.

I wouldn't put money on it though. This is a Gundam second season of a show that's known for starting strong and then falling apart.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Microcline posted:

To be fair he hasn't had much screentime in S2 yet, and the dumber parts of his character are from after S1 took a nosedive into The Adventures of Princess Kudelia and her Noble Knights.

Given the direction S2 has taken with re-framing things from S1 I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and suspect that we may start seeing a monster beneath the nice guy facade.

I wouldn't put money on it though. This is a Gundam second season of a show that's known for starting strong and then falling apart.

We're not going to see a monster. What we are going to see is what he's always been - an older Orga, a good, well-intentioned person who took way too much upon themselves and was naive and weak-willed enough to accidentally turn their movement for liberation into a personality cult that cannot exist without them. He tied himself to the worst deal in history, and that one mistake means that he'll die and his girls will be right back to square one all over again, being abused and fought over by a bunch of petty, cruel warlords.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tekkadan goes co-ed if that happens and Orga is still alive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frankly that would be a step up as Orga presumably does not have sex with the people under his protection and employ.

No, shut up, your fanfiction isn't canon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

Tekkadan goes co-ed if that happens and Orga is still alive.

Almost certainly - the problem is that Naze would only get executed if (when) McGillis starts loving Tekkadan over or turning them into monsters for his goal of interplanetary conquest. If things get that bad, there may not be much Tekkadan left to go co-ed, and they'll be an even less safe home for the Turbine girls than the wreckage Naze left behind.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

We're not going to see a monster. What we are going to see is what he's always been - an older Orga, a good, well-intentioned person who took way too much upon themselves and was naive and weak-willed enough to accidentally turn their movement for liberation into a personality cult that cannot exist without them. He tied himself to the worst deal in history, and that one mistake means that he'll die and his girls will be right back to square one all over again, being abused and fought over by a bunch of petty, cruel warlords.

You're probably right. You can only walk back so far without completely disowning season 1 so we're most likely going to end up with Space Pirate Mobster Polygamist: Too Pure for this Sinful Galaxy.

It's a shame because even if season 2 ends up being good the advice for season 1 is going to be "watch the first few episodes and pretend there's a time skip".

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Microcline posted:

It's a shame because even if season 2 ends up being good the advice for season 1 is going to be "watch the first few episodes and pretend there's a time skip".

Except season 1 is good?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think Tekkandan and the Turbines would be totally hosed over if they lost their respective leader. Amida defiinitely has a good head on her shoulders, and Eugene would probably manage with a little help form assistants. The big question would be if the relationship between the two groups would be wrecked in whatever would cause Orga and/or Naze to die, preventing a merger from being on the table.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tekkadan's Mobile Armor is really weird looking

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Tekkadan's Mobile Armor is really weird looking

I kind of like how alien that appears to be.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kuroyama posted:

I don't think Tekkandan and the Turbines would be totally hosed over if they lost their respective leader. Amida defiinitely has a good head on her shoulders, and Eugene would probably manage with a little help form assistants. The big question would be if the relationship between the two groups would be wrecked in whatever would cause Orga and/or Naze to die, preventing a merger from being on the table.

We literally just had an entire plot arc devoted to how even loyal first-generation members of Tekkadan revert to gullible children when divorced from Orga's guiding hand. Eugene is good at relaying orders and handling minor stuff, but his response when asked by Orga for input about the deal with McGillis basically boiled down to "I dunno, lol, whatever you think is best man"; he would be about a mile out of his depth if plunged into the shitfest Orga has tied them to with McGillis and that's not even counting the impending Teiwaz shitstorm. If Tekkadan were just a tiny mercenary company they might figure it out if Orga was removed, but they've become a fairly major player that has made a ton of very powerful enemies in a very short period of time. There would be no time for training wheels for a new leader.

The Turbines would probably handle the death of Naze better than Tekkadan would handle the loss of Orga because they have more individuals we've seen who are used to independence and command roles, and that's only including the very tiny subset of the organization we've actually spent time with. Amida, Lafter, and Azee are all competent leaders who are used to giving orders, and all of them are seasoned enough to see through bullshit. The issue with the Turbines that would arise isn't one of competence so much as they're incredibly tightly bound to the Teiwaz command structure and Teiwaz looks to be a very chauvinistic organization. Would it be possible for someone like Amida, in the case of Naze's death, to swear a blood oath to Teiwaz to take over for him? Would Teiwaz even allow it? Would the Turbines be able to survive in their current state cut off from Teiwaz support if not?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To nobody's great surprise, the Flauros will be the third suit in the Ryusei-Go line.

Also, we have manual scans for the Vidar - interesting details are that the rapier's blades can be detonated, the control system is unique and does not use the Alaya-Vijnana System, and while that is a third reactor on the back, its true purpose is mysterious - mobile suit frames, even Gundam-types, can barely contain the power from two reactors, so a third one should by all rights be unnecessary.

Maybe it has some sort of Trans-Am mode?

EDIT: Someone who could read Japanese said that the third reactor disrupts the Vidar's unique signature, making it impossible to tell which of the seventy-two Gundams it is. Guess that answers that, then - it's there to disguise the fact that Gaelio and the Kimaris are still up and running. There's still decent odds on it having something to do with that mysterious control system, though.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 3, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Wouldn't it be more likely it's Ein's reactor? Possibly still attached to him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Belzac posted:

Wouldn't it be more likely it's Ein's reactor? Possibly still attached to him.

The problem is they're not just plain old power reactors, they work like Gundam 00's in that they need to synchronize to function properly. Getting two to work in tandem is something obscenely complex, and just bolting a random third one onto a 300-year-old Gundam simply should not work.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is they're not just plain old power reactors, they work like Gundam 00's in that they need to synchronize to function properly. Getting two to work in tandem is something obscenely complex, and just bolting a random third one onto a 300-year-old Gundam simply should not work.

Well, Gaelio has one of the best R&D departments in the solar system working with him to make it work, so getting all three reactors to power the Vidar at once is theoretically plausible. However, when the manual itself says that would accomplish little other than making the suit fly apart, that's probably a sign that it has some other purpose, whether it be as a simple disguise or something grander.

As for it being the reactor from the Graze Ein, that seems unlikely but not totally implausible. It's much smaller than the standard Graze reactor, and a different colour - dull red rather than bright yellow. That probably means that it's a special custom unit, but it may just mean that they stripped down the Graze Ein's reactor until it was nothing more than an electronic noisemaker - the change in colour might be because of its far weaker output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

The issue with the Turbines that would arise isn't one of competence so much as they're incredibly tightly bound to the Teiwaz command structure and Teiwaz looks to be a very chauvinistic organization. Would it be possible for someone like Amida, in the case of Naze's death, to swear a blood oath to Teiwaz to take over for him? Would Teiwaz even allow it? Would the Turbines be able to survive in their current state cut off from Teiwaz support if not?

For what it matters there was at least one woman at the table of Teiwaz seniors though she appeared to be quite a bit older than Amida is.

• Locked thread