Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Just got a few hours in. Beat one of those level 12 rhinos and got A+ on everything and one of the guys, pompis started singing the final Fantasy victory theme. Put a big grin on my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Wow the Japanese really hate this game dont they. Those amazonjp reviews.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm watching Kingsglaive and it is so weird hearing Lena Headey sound like she doesn't actually want to burn the kingdom alive at any given opportunity.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ntan1 posted:

Oh hey it's this comment I was wondering when it would show up in this thread

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ntan1 posted:

Amazon.jp reviews are largely worthless because they just get spammed by mega-otaku mad about something (maybe the 'they ruined Nomura's vision' thing or the delay in this case?) that has nothing to do with the actual quality of the game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So they're exactly like US Amazon and Metacritic user reviews?

I just looked at the Metacritic user reviews for kicks and there's literally one review that isn't either 10 or 0

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Preeeetty much.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Somewhat worse. Otaku are extremely fickle.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Was anyone who preorded via amazon able to get their DLC codes for the Mage Mashers etc. from the road trip promo? I saw that the Redeem DLC button is now active, and hit it, but nothing's popped up in my email inbox for 20 minutes, and I can't re-send the email because the website won't allow it. They're not in spam, either.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Was anyone who preorded via amazon able to get their DLC codes for the Mage Mashers etc. from the road trip promo? I saw that the Redeem DLC button is now active, and hit it, but nothing's popped up in my email inbox for 20 minutes, and I can't re-send the email because the website won't allow it. They're not in spam, either.

I was just wondering the same thing. My Redeem button is greyed out and I have a message indicating the code was sent to my email, but it was not.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Levantine posted:

I was just wondering the same thing. My Redeem button is greyed out and I have a message indicating the code was sent to my email, but it was not.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting too. Hopefully it's a somewhat widespread issue, as that means they'd be sure to fix it sooner than later?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just in case anyone wants to share their day one FFXV experiences, here's my stream I recorded for my friend
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ieSYL3PsrA

(Warning, this game has a lot of walking)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CuddlyZombie posted:

Levantine posted:

Same. I hit the redeem button about an hour ago and still nothing. I'm guessing they'll just blast these out in waves in the morning.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Prompto took a picture of Noct flying through the air after a level 20+ NotARhinoThing charged past literally everyone else to hit him specifically.

This is a good Final Fantasy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Road Trip DLC codes showed up.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Yeah, just got mine. PSN is erroring out when I try to redeem the third though. Oh well, I can't play til tonight so it hardly matters.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

fwiw I got my amazon dlc code via email out of the blue a few weeks ago, maybe it's buried in your inbox?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

free hubcaps posted:

fwiw I got my amazon dlc code via email out of the blue a few weeks ago, maybe it's buried in your inbox?

Different code, that code you're talking about lets you do the Road Trip DLC stuff to begin with. You complete the stuff there and you get 3 more codes for weapons and other stuff.

Edit:

Levantine posted:

Yeah, just got mine. PSN is erroring out when I try to redeem the third though. Oh well, I can't play til tonight so it hardly matters.

Yeah the third code just shits out an error in the web store. Works fine on the PS4 itself however.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 29, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
hows the eff eff?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

hows the eff eff?

*waves hands above a crystal ball, uttering arcane incantations*

It's good.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Figured I'd look at the price for this in the download section.. it's 70 euro's? For the base version? What?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's just what digital games cost in Europe

E: actually maybe you're getting shafted extra hard it's £50/€59 in the UK.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 29, 2016

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Guess I never looked at a recent triple A digital release on the sony store before. :shepface:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

I just looked at the Metacritic user reviews for kicks and there's literally one review that isn't either 10 or 0
well the american game has twice as many positive reviews and is only 1s and 5s as opposed to the japanese which has scores in each category at least (but more 1s than 5s)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The retro style beat em up game is more fun than the actual game IMO

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Game is fun so far. Combat flows nicely and there's a lot more depth to it than it appears at first glance, though big fights with lots of enemies are kinda annoying sometimes because you'll be setting up for a parry or trying to maneuver for a blindside strike and get knocked out of it by some enemy rushing you from off-screen, especially if they can knock you down.Timed dodging with that skill that replenishes a bit of MP every time you do it is neat, though the timing can be pretty tricky since you can't dodge if you are in an attack animation and there doesn't seem to be any way to cancel out of one.

I've mostly just been doing sidequests and hunts and exploring so far. Also I camped out and the little scene that played out on the EXP screen was Prompto jumping around like a dumbass and making action movie poses with his gun, and then he tried to do a dive and hurt his back and just laid there writhing in pain while Noctis laughed at him. GOTY.

Quick question for people that are much farther along: is it safe to sell all the stuff in the "treasure" tab? I know someone said not to sell the rusted bits / chrome bits because you need them for weapon upgrades later, but is everything else fair game? If not, is there a spoiler-free list of things to hold onto?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I want to like this game, and I kinda do, but I feel like it is actively trying to get me to quit playing. I was doing some level 7 sidequest and a dropship full of level 16 snipers showed up and just destroyed me in about a second and I lost progress to before the side quest started. Did it again, got to the same spot and the dropship spawned again but this time I managed to barely survive by burning most of my potions... and after about 20 paces another dropship spawned full of level 16 guys. Later on I stopped my car to take a picture that prompto wanted to get and ran into 2 more dropships. The combat is fun, but the difficulty is all over the place even when I'm not randomly walking into some giant creature 30 levels above me. I literally walked out of a level 5ish quest and a level 35 monster pounced on me and I only survived by running my wounded rear end out of the combat range. Am I doing something wrong or is this game just kinda... weirdly punishing?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Been playing all night, lots of fun. (Chapter 2) The boss fight at the end of Ch 2 is alright mechanically, but the presentation with the music and Cor is so badass.

Agreed with the above point that the dropships containing level 15-17 enemies kinda suck if encountered too early in the story. I just get mowed down. Feels like I'm being punished a bit for overleveling, but thankfully those enemies can be avoided. Presuming there'll be unlocks later that'll help.

*edit -

Skeezy posted:

So how's the frame rate on the regular PS4? It wasn't so hot in the demos but I'm assuming it's more stable now? Not expecting 60 or anything tbh.

It's fine so far, but I might pick up a Pro anyway.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So how's the frame rate on the regular PS4? It wasn't so hot in the demos but I'm assuming it's more stable now? Not expecting 60 or anything tbh.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Digital Foundry says it's fine on regular PS4 and Pro on lite mode. Small issue with frame pacing on high quality mode the Pro. Most won't probably notice it.

https://youtu.be/nANRQ-NGPZQ

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's stable 30 from what I've seen.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I like the game so far. Only done a couple of the first main quests, did a few hunts, also some of the dog tag side quests. The combat system is weird, but once I fully grasp it I think it will be bad rear end. Sometimes I pull of cool poo poo on accident, sometimes intentionally, and sometimes I feel like I flail around not knowing what I'm doing. Barely getting a grasp on magic. It's not as simple as drawing the elements then putting them in a flask, as in that part you can combine different elements with items to make stuff. Made a Fira spell and accidentally nuked the whole battlefield. I find it's really hard to cast a magic spell accurately and it go the way you want. I'm sure I just need a bit more time playing. Toward the end I'd get a full A report card here and there.

As far as techniques, when you enter battle can you only use the one each character has equipped? Or can you change it in the menu? I'm playing on wait mode. I dunno, I was playing the whole time being pretty tired, should make more sense when I'm feeling fresh tomorrow.

So far the gameplay is really fun. I think the map and general sense of direction on what you can all be doing, while keeping up with it (like what hunts you pick up where, etc) can be pretty confusing. I just need to play more, I felt the same way about Witcher 3 the first several hours playing and wound up really enjoying it.

e: also i equipped ignis with one of my magic spells, and he never used it, nor did I see a way to make him use it. I thought I read there was a sort of pseudo gambit system in this game where you can set behaviors like that?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 29, 2016

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Game is fun so far. Combat flows nicely and there's a lot more depth to it than it appears at first glance, though big fights with lots of enemies are kinda annoying sometimes because you'll be setting up for a parry or trying to maneuver for a blindside strike and get knocked out of it by some enemy rushing you from off-screen, especially if they can knock you down.Timed dodging with that skill that replenishes a bit of MP every time you do it is neat, though the timing can be pretty tricky since you can't dodge if you are in an attack animation and there doesn't seem to be any way to cancel out of one.

I've mostly just been doing sidequests and hunts and exploring so far. Also I camped out and the little scene that played out on the EXP screen was Prompto jumping around like a dumbass and making action movie poses with his gun, and then he tried to do a dive and hurt his back and just laid there writhing in pain while Noctis laughed at him. GOTY.

Quick question for people that are much farther along: is it safe to sell all the stuff in the "treasure" tab? I know someone said not to sell the rusted bits / chrome bits because you need them for weapon upgrades later, but is everything else fair game? If not, is there a spoiler-free list of things to hold onto?

This is one of the more frustrating parts of the game. A lot of "treasures" are "safe" to sell in that they're not actually used for item upgrades (and there are only a handful of weapons that upgrade anyway, it's not everything). The game is really bad about telling you which is which, though. On top of that, treasures are also the best components for magic crafting - so particularly rare monster bits are useful for crafting the most powerful magic bombs, which have limited uses (so you'll want to craft them multiple times).

For concerns regarding higher level monsters: first, the airship drops only start after a certain point in the main chapter - if you started them too early, then you have two options: outlevel them (you'll do so pretty quickly by doing side content), or just run away. They are really, really easy to avoid. Just run outside of the red ring. Same thing goes for higher level monsters - almost anything that jumps you is very easy to run away from, just spring in the opposite direction to get out of the red ring. I have yet to encounter any enemy that is overly aggressive about chasing you, and it's pretty clear that the devs made it easy to escape conflict on purpose (this can actually lead to some frustration if you get out of combat accidentally). That stuff is intended for you to come back to later, and you'll hit a bunch of points like that. Just like you will find level 50 dungeons out there that you can wander into at any time.

Also, protip for fighting literally any magitech enemies: spears and lightning. Noctis has an AOE sweep with his spear that does a decent job of killing them when they're bunched. Alternately, just lob a multi-cast thunder or Thundera into the middle of the troop after it drops off the airship and laugh as you one-shot them.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Digital Foundry says it's fine on regular PS4 and Pro on lite mode. Small issue with frame pacing on high quality mode the Pro. Most won't probably notice it.

Honestly I can't see the frame pacing issue or whatever.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Honestly I can't see the frame pacing issue or whatever.

Pretty much why I said most won't notice it. If you can't see it, go high quality mode. You really have to look for it to notice I suppose which is what DF does exhaustively.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

By the way, make sure you talk to NPCs multiple times and seek out and listen to radios scattered around multiple times as well. There's quite a bit of worldbuilding out there if you seek it out.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Pretty much why I said most won't notice it. If you can't see it, go high quality mode. You really have to look for it to notice I suppose which is what DF does exhaustively.

Can't even do that because I don't have a Pro or 4K TV yet. Not till next year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The high quality mode on Pro is absolutely worth it. Neither the Youtube videos or screenshots show off just how big of a difference there is.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Mostly 30FPS. There are a few dips in combat but it's hard to notice with everything else going on.

Also anyone got their road trip code from amazon yet? It says it emailed me the codes, but I've been waiting for 20 minutes and nothing is showing up in my email...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Bought lunch meat at Cid's place. Ignis invented mystery meat sushi.

Game is great so far

• Locked thread