Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Time posted:

I just looked up SRS and it seems like its a good stat. does it have any real problems?

It's simple rating system so for what it does I think it's great.

Two weaknesses:

-Pace isn't taken into account. SRS = MOV + SOS. MOV = Point scored - Points allowed / games played. So great teams that play at a faster pace will be rewarded more than slower ones.* Or imagine an average team speeding up their pace against weaker opponents and slowing it down against better teams.

-Doesn't take lineups into account. A team could incidentally play the Warriors twice while they were resting all their best players and it counts just as much as a team facing the Warriors twice at full strength.

*NRtg takes pace into account: http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016_ratings.html

Lockback posted:

It's pretty good, though I feel like it penalized teams for strength of schedule a little too much, which is a factor teams can't control.

Last year it seemed mostly right, but it did say Indiana was better than Miami and Portland was under +1.0 which seems very low to me. Yeah, some of that is a little problematic. I tend to think Wins is actually a really good way of telling how good a team is and MOV is maybe a bit better than SRS too, but SRS is reasonable.

Teams can't directly control their SOS but they can strongly control it indirectly by dominating their opponents. If you look at the best teams in a given year they nearly always have negative SOS because they themselves are the strongest team. MOV has a strong negative correlation with SOS.

As far as IND, MIA, POR they're all close enough that I wouldn't read much into it. It's not a hard scientific measurement so a decimal point difference won't be significant.

But yea wins are supreme.

chilihead posted:

I'm calling it right now, Westbrook will go down as the best player never to win a championship. Also Durant, Harden and Westbrook will go down as the three best players on one team to never win one!

If Karl Malone signed contracts with GSW, CLE, SAS and LAC it'd go a long way to ensuring he got a ring this year.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

John Wall is like the only big name player in the NBA who would be unperturbed by the Sacramento Kings Experience.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/SynergySST/status/803481400959791104
Dude wants that DPOY so bad

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Too bad he will probably kick it all away again.

Also, I can't take issue with Rick's ranking, because the schedule has been easy as poo poo. But I'll be damned if I'm not enjoying the fireworks.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I was working on some stuff and tried to watch the Memphis Game. Why is this puke from LSU, Jarrell Martin, starting in place of my beloved Jamychael Green, while the nation greaves the loss of Zbo's fine mother

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
does that mean they're not trading Cousins?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
All the Kings stuff is wrestling dirt sheet level rumors and is probably 100% false in reality, but basically the latest group of rumors suggest it's a Blazers Rasheed Wallace situation, wherein the organization finds Cousins impossible to work with and would love to get rid of him if they could do it while not getting laughed at, but they want him to ask for a trade so they can do it and paint him as the bad guy, but Cousins likes Sacramento and never asks for an out so they're "stuck with him."

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Should have already won it.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
It's too early to call Dante Exum a bust, but can we say he's two years away from being two years away?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/803481948379348992

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jack's Flow posted:

It's too early to call Dante Exum a bust, but can we say he's two years away from being two years away?

In his defense he really has only had one healthy offseason, but if he doesn't make a leap this summer he probably won't ever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is anyone still talking about trading klay for a center .

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Rick posted:

All the Kings stuff is wrestling dirt sheet level rumors and is probably 100% false in reality, but basically the latest group of rumors suggest it's a Blazers Rasheed Wallace situation, wherein the organization finds Cousins impossible to work with and would love to get rid of him if they could do it while not getting laughed at, but they want him to ask for a trade so they can do it and paint him as the bad guy, but Cousins likes Sacramento and never asks for an out so they're "stuck with him."

THe Kings management regarding someone else as impossible to work with is some high level poo poo

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

So, how many games does OKC have to win for Russ to win MVP?

edit:

His numbers are just crazy. Triple doubles are supposed to be hard. "Jason Kidd had 14, 12, and 10? Unbelievable!"

Also, could you please grab that rebound, Russ? Thanks.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 29, 2016

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Zogo posted:

The Cavaliers are looking good so far. #1 3P team in the whole league. GSW is tied for #2 with HOU. It appears two teams might meet in the finals for three straight years for the first time ever.

1+ in all five categories (since 1984 regular season):

Dear Zogo, may I ask how many of these games Wade has racked up? I am surprised not to see him on the list since he has always been a prodigious shotblocker for a guard.

I hope everyone had a relaxing Thanksgiving weekend.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Jack's Flow posted:

edit:

His numbers are just crazy. Triple doubles are supposed to be hard. "Jason Kidd had 14, 12, and 10? Unbelievable!"

The scripture foretold this. He is Risen

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jack's Flow posted:

edit:

History says if he isn't playing for a top-2 seed he won't win the MVP.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

History says if he isn't playing for a top-2 seed he won't win the MVP.

I think given the narrative and his stats, Russ could get serious consideration if they are a 3rd, 4th, or even 5th seed. If they are lower than that I seriously doubt it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

His agent was asking for a trade and doing all the leg work like two summers ago

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do you really think cousins is good enough to win a title even if they had some better players .

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Do you really think cousins is good enough to win a title even if they had some better players .

PPG RPG BLKPG PER
28.7 10.4 1.1 28.55

And he shoots 39% of 3 pointers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is that his best PER . God drat.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Is that his best PER . God drat.

He's had a season at 25 and a season at 26. He's lead the league is usage. He's really, really good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Need to watch west coast games I guess.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I was on the DMC hater train for many years but watching him at the Olympics this summer was really eye-opening. And yeah he seems like he's coming into his full form now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wasn't hating on him.

Tons of guys are hofers and never win a finals or even make it to a finals.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

I wasn't hating on him.

Tons of guys are hofers and never win a finals or even make it to a finals.

He's really good, but he also needs.to lose 20-25 pounds.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Can someone tell me why the new stats.nba site has little play arrows that aren't links? Is this a problem with my browser or is it genuinely trying to gently caress with me? Like putting "CLICK HERE" in plain non-linked text.
I just want to watch Melo's defense on Noah's shooting four a at 4:10 in the second quarter, then the final possession of the 4th quarter
http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0021600228/playbyplay/

warcrimes posted:

Should have already won it.

I agree with warcrimes :wth:

Redgrendel2001 posted:

he's beautiful at any size don't fat shame

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If Russ gets okc to the playoffs and averaged a triple double I don't see how he doesn't win mvp unless Lebron has something close

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really hope the Sheed rumors about DMC are true cuz the idea of him just being like "why would I eeeeeeever want to leave Sacramento? :twisted: You guys ever thought about getting John Wall? We'd play great together" while the Kings organization squirms makes me happy

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB0XidFNns4

It's interesting to see how refereeing changes for different players or situations. For most guys in most situations this is a foul. He doesn't stay squared up and he floats to his right in to Bazemore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How the gently caress could Sacramento get Wall.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

euphronius posted:

How the gently caress could Sacramento get Wall.

Him and Boogie are soulmates, the rest writes itself

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean, there is almost nothing the Kings can do on that front. They have almost 0 assets that are worth trading for outside of Demarcus.

Rudy Gay has his own value, but not that kind that gets you a star.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Skal Labrassier and a fat greek guy, who says no?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sacramento doesn't have much on the books long term. I'm thinking a Cousins, Wall, and Bledsoe reunion in Sacramento ala Miami Heat.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He actually is probably better off at his current weight than way lighter. It lets him move guys around at will and his game isn't predicated on him getting vertical.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Sacramento shouldn't have lost faith in Sauce Castillo after year 1. His jumper has risen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sauce can't defend a dead horse so it's pretty meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Sauce can't defend a dead horse so it's pretty meaningless.

Having a guy who can shoot like that on the floor for 15-20 minutes a game is really useful. It just is not what the 76ers need at all.

• Locked thread