Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LingcodKilla posted:

A friend of mines dad is a pretty good wood carver. He made me a pair of fish I can't wait to hang in my office. They are not trophy sized examples just nice carvings and anatomically correct with nice coloring.

Yeah, but I bet they don't sing and dance, do they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WC6EbRQmJ0

Check and mate. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

PCOS Bill posted:

One of our local grocery stores had black Friday deals so I filled half my chest freezer with $3 frozen pizzas (Not quite as good as DiGiorno but almost) and $1.99/lb ground beef.

Why do you eat like a poor person

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I had a rough day, so I cashed in on some Cyber Monday deals to furnish my new apartment and for vidya:

Klipsch Icon Series speakers were on sale at Newegg for like oodles off:

x2

VESA mount:

For this guy:

Wasabi Mango UHD 490 - supports 4k60 and 10 bit color, so it'll last a long long time, and at 49 inches will be my TV.

I may not have money (anymore), I may not have friends, but goddammit will I have pixels and decibels.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Dick Trauma posted:

Please tell me you'll make a thread for this project. :ohdear:

Done! Just the basics of the plan so far.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, but I bet they don't sing and dance, do they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WC6EbRQmJ0

Check and mate. :smug:

Your talking fish doesn't tell you the weather? Sad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBqiW1R5_JM

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gynecolojustice posted:

Why do you eat like a poor person

Because I have the luxury to if I feel like it. A stack of frozen pizzas in the chest freezer in the basement for days I don't give a gently caress about cooking is really nice.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

Your talking fish doesn't tell you the weather? Sad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBqiW1R5_JM

Oh god I need this who do I give my money too?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Spent the past year with the low-end Infinuvo Hovo robotic vacuum cleaner, and the results were mixed, but better than expected. Battery died, and Christmas is coming up, so I'm upgrading as a gift to my wife:

iRobot (makers of Roomba) Bravaa 380t. Has sweep, vacuum, and also a mop function. The only drawback is that its not programmable, so to run it you have to physically press the start button, and fill it up for mopping/change out the pad before you run it. Since we always found the hovo dead somewhere in the house before it could get back to its charging station, it won't be any extra effort.

With 1,800 sq ft, the net result is that we have to vacuum the house less often. The difference is going from vacuuming three times a month to just once. Hopefully with a higher-end model, we will get the same performance, and lose one mopping session a month as well.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

blarzgh posted:

Spent the past year with the low-end Infinuvo Hovo robotic vacuum cleaner, and the results were mixed, but better than expected. Battery died, and Christmas is coming up, so I'm upgrading as a gift to my wife:

iRobot (makers of Roomba) Bravaa 380t. Has sweep, vacuum, and also a mop function. The only drawback is that its not programmable, so to run it you have to physically press the start button, and fill it up for mopping/change out the pad before you run it. Since we always found the hovo dead somewhere in the house before it could get back to its charging station, it won't be any extra effort.

With 1,800 sq ft, the net result is that we have to vacuum the house less often. The difference is going from vacuuming three times a month to just once. Hopefully with a higher-end model, we will get the same performance, and lose one mopping session a month as well.

Cool! I've got an older roomba discovery, and I'd love to upgrade. I'm always amazed at how much crap it picks up, even running immediately after I vacuum. How does the mapping work out for you? Does it always make its way back home?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

PCOS Bill posted:

Because I have the luxury to if I feel like it. A stack of frozen pizzas in the chest freezer in the basement for days I don't give a gently caress about cooking is really nice.

I normally just go out to a restaurant if I don't want to cook. You should try that instead of a gross frozen pizza. Applebees and TGI Fridays have really affordable meals for people like you so you don't feel guilty splurging

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gynecolojustice posted:

I normally just go out to a restaurant if I don't want to cook. You should try that instead of a gross frozen pizza. Applebees and TGI Fridays have really affordable meals for people like you so you don't feel guilty splurging

He'd just get his steak well-done if he went out.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Cool! I've got an older roomba discovery, and I'd love to upgrade. I'm always amazed at how much crap it picks up, even running immediately after I vacuum. How does the mapping work out for you? Does it always make its way back home?

I'll post a trip report after Christmas. The old Infinuvo never ever made it back to the dock. It was always annoying when it died under one of the couches.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gynecolojustice posted:

Nah, I don't like going out to eat unless forced to be "social", usually at my wife's behest.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

PCOS Bill posted:

Nah, I don't like going out to eat unless forced to be "social", usually at my wife's behest.

Shocker of the thread.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

treiz01 posted:

Shocker of the thread.

I don't like people, this is not something I keep secret, at all, ever.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't like people

The feeling is mutual.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PCOS Bill posted:

Putting social in quotation marks makes you even more insufferable.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Bought some postcard books through Better World Books' Cyber Monday sale as well as a copy of the documentary Sing Faster! to give as a present.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Finally got a tie I've had my eye on for a while. It reminds me of some of Motoi Yamamoto's pieces.

Lapel flower:

The order above came with free socks. I've never tried this place's socks, so it's not a bad way to give 'em a shot.

Audiobooks and lectures:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I wore their socks for my wedding and they were pretty good. Didn't have to pull them up or anything.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

calandryll posted:

I wore their socks for my wedding and they were pretty good. Didn't have to pull them up or anything.

But how did you get them on your feet?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Spent way too much money.

Bought 2x:

and

x500
x2

For plinking

and

for a GTX 1070
240mm

x4

Everything should arrive this week and keep me fairly busy.

e: fixed images to thumbs

PerrineClostermann has a new favorite as of 06:37 on Nov 30, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This cloudflare fuckery is making me double post :argh:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

logical fallacy posted:

But how did you get them on your feet?

Very carefully. Forgot a word or two, the ten hours or so I wore them I didn't need to continously pull them back up unlike some of the other pairs of dress socks I have.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I ordered a bunch of :nws: gay-rear end postage stamps because they were back in stock and I guess I might send some Christmas cards who knows?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jerry Cotton posted:

I ordered a bunch of :nws: gay-rear end postage stamps because they were back in stock and I guess I might send some Christmas cards who knows?

You've got to be kidding me. I might need to go back to mailing my bill payments.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Bought some snuff. It's been years and years. Uffda that's strong.

It's gonna live in my center console.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
For FREE I picked up a pair of Bang & Olufsen Beolab Penta Mk1 for my vintage stereo.

They'll need some TLC to be their old selves again, but you can't beat $0.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

evobatman posted:

For FREE I picked up a pair of Bang & Olufsen Beolab Penta Mk1 for my vintage stereo.

They'll need some TLC to be their old selves again, but you can't beat $0.

Pictures of the watches please.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

NewFatMike posted:

I had a rough day, so I cashed in on some Cyber Monday deals to furnish my new apartment and for vidya:

Klipsch Icon Series speakers were on sale at Newegg for like oodles off:

x2

I loaded pretty much all of those onto one of our UPS trucks early monday morning... you in CNY by any chance? (No, the dates don't match but that was an odd coincidence.)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Merry Christmas to me!

It's hard to overstate how excited I am for this thing to get here. Been looking at pictures of steaks all week. :dance:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Literally everyone I know with those won't shut up about how much they love them. I'm totally not bitter and envious!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They're pretty rad but I never use mine for steak.

Chicken breasts, short ribs, pastrami (smoked first finished in the sous vide), butter poached shrimp etc sure.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

Merry Christmas to me!

It's hard to overstate how excited I am for this thing to get here. Been looking at pictures of steaks all week. :dance:

Good purchase. Come by the sous vizzling thread in GWS if you have questions or want suggestions, etc.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640

FishBulb posted:

Chicken breasts, short ribs, pastrami (smoked first finished in the sous vide), butter poached shrimp etc sure.

I've only started using them for steak in the last 6 months or so but I'm hooked. No accidentally overcooking a really good steak, don't have to worry about steaks of different thicknesses coming out differently, etc. And of course no temperature gradient.

Flash Gordon Ramsay has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Dec 1, 2016

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Do you still sear the steak? if so before or after? To me the best part is the seared outside of a good steak. And it needs to be on a fire grill not a frying pan or George Foreman grill. That poo poo just doesn't compare.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Trastion posted:

Do you still sear the steak? if so before or after? To me the best part is the seared outside of a good steak. And it needs to be on a fire grill not a frying pan or George Foreman grill. That poo poo just doesn't compare.

Actually the meat doesn't loving know what seared it and it's all the same you're just a nerd :smugmrgw:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

Absolutely. I have a charcoal grill that I get up to 800f or so and sear it for maybe a minute on each side. Gets the grill marks and flavor from the charcoal. I've also seared on cast iron taken to a similar temp to get a good crust, but you miss out on the charcoal flavor that way. But I'll do that if I'm cooking tenderloin and serving it with a sauce (ie steak au poivre or bernaise)

edit: Sear after it cooks. Because the proteins have already denatured somewhat and there is a little exterior moisture loss, it sears quicker. Which lets you get a good sear without cooking the inside any more.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Trastion posted:

You still sear it. You just have to do it fast so the inside doesn't cook more. Some people use a blowtorch.

Or deep fry it

(Actually I dunno if people do that with steak, I've heard of it for hamburgers)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

You still sear it. You just have to do it fast so the inside doesn't cook more. Some people use a blowtorch.

Or deep fry it

(Actually I dunno if people do that with steak, I've heard of it for hamburgers)

Cryofrying is where it's at.

Sous vide your steak, then dip it in liquid nitrogen, then deep fry it. So simple. I think all home cooks will be doing it soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_tgxzXmpKQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FishBulb posted:

I'm gonna use this for everything.

Trastion posted:

You still have to sear afterwards. Well, you don't have to but they come out of the sous vide process lookin' pretty weird. The Gizmodo review I saw mentioned the filet they made came out looking like a "big pink pillow".

After searing though? :nws: http://i.imgur.com/4SLlHt8.png :nws: (NWS because you will be hungry for days. Also not safe for wallet, because you'll wanna drop $130 on this like I just did.)