Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Unless there's another ricochet room I'm forgetting, Han did that.

I forgot that it was Han who shoots because he's frustrated with Chewbacca's cowardice. Instead, we can talk about how Chewbacca blunders into an incredibly obvious trap with the ewoks. The point is that the things characters do in a film contribute to their characterization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Luke comes off just as whiney in A New Hope and spoiled enough to question Yoda again and again in Empire.

Yeah, well, they did it right back in '77 and '80.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, well, they did it right back in '77 and '80.

But that's kind of the point, isn't it? The OT characters have their share of flaws and make some missteps, but ultimately they make good choices, trust in the right people, fight for solid principles, and develop into more complete human beings along the way. The prequel heroes don't do those things, and they all pay dearly for it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We all did.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I'm sorry George Lucas decided to hurt you instead of personally funding the movies you wanted.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

But you can feel bad for them.

Like Walter White at the beginning of Breaking Bad is a nebbish, sad character who's at the lowest point of his entire life. He then decides to take charge for once, and you're with him. But as the show goes on, he becomes a worse and worse person, until you straight up hate the guy and re-think your entire perspective on him.

That's one of the reasons that show works. It drags a sympathetic character through the mud, and they come out a monster. Some people are dumb, yeah, and like the guy. But it's an effective way to make a character arc like that work.

To be fair, even in just the first season Walter White has a lot more time to be developed than Anakin ever does. There's room for a very gradual transition from "this is a man pushed to do bad things" to "he was always kind of a stubborn rear end in a top hat" and so on until he's actively murdering people. Star Wars has to work in broad strokes.

And even then people sometimes don't get it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gatts posted:

SMGs posts are fuckable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shiroc posted:

I'm sorry George Lucas decided to hurt you instead of personally funding the movies you wanted.

Well, he did make the movies I wanted, but then Thing Prequeled them somethin fierce.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

CelticPredator posted:

Well, he did make the movies I wanted, but then Thing Prequeled them somethin fierce.

You can just ignore them. I don't like Force Awakens so I just disregard it and don't plan to see any of the future ones.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Serf posted:

It turns out people don't actually want what they think they want.

As SMG once wrote:

quote:

Obsessive fandom (of the sort that results in Wookiepedia) is fueled by fantasy of total positive knowledge. Star Wars fans desire 'answers' that will provide a complete picture of the Star Wars virtual universe, so that its entire teleological design can be fully comprehended. (What are the clone wars, how did Yoda use a lightsaber, etc.) Since no such design actually exists, the point of fandom is the desiring itself. Fans do not 'actually' want these answers. It's just endless desire. And Lucasarts has gladly catered to with the endless supply of tantalizing 'Expanded Universe' materials cataloged as Wookiepedia.

With the midichlorians (and showing the 'actual' Clone War, and showing the 'actual' Jedi Order, etc.) the prequels confront fans with their desire, fully materialized in a horrifically literal fashion. The point is to break them away from the fantasy of total knowledge and (hopefully) spur them towards authentic appreciation of the original films as pop mythology.

The true lesson of the midichlorians is that Qui-Gon is a lovely Jedi and that the true path of the Jedi is in belief in the force, not in vulgar knowledge of it. The message to fans is, likewise, that Wookiepedia is garbage and anathema to what Star Wars is actually about.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shiroc posted:

You can just ignore them. I don't like Force Awakens so I just disregard it and don't plan to see any of the future ones.

I'm gonna be salty forever about those Special Editions.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

INT. GANTRY - OUTSIDE CONTROL ROOM - REACTOR SHAFT

THE PREQUELS
Plinkett never told you what happened to Star Wars.

A FAN
He told me enough. He told me you killed it.

THE PREQUELS
No. I am Star Wars.

A FAN
That's not true! That's impossible!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

CelticPredator posted:

That's fair, but the original versions still exist, just not in Ultra Deluxe Trilogy Three Packs available now at your local retailer.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

You're salty because you know you have value, courage, and skills you could contribute, but your clumsy arguments and awkward dialect keep causing people to dismiss you as a fool.

It's you, you are the Jar Jar.
The prequels are within you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't give a gently caress about the prequels.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Some of the Special Edition changes were clearly made solely for technical reasons - just to see if they could, in anticipation of needing to do something like that in The Phantom Menace. They mostly succeeded form a technical standpoint, but some of them - most notably the restored Jabba scene - are pretty disruptive. (The Jabba scene was also a bit of a mixed bag technically. Totally replacing an actor with an effect in post-production without chroma key, and manipulating the position of another actor, was pretty state-of-the-art at the time. But the texture on the Jabba model is just a mess.) Others, like the lighting and backgrounds on Cloud City and the montage at the end of Return of the Jedi, serve to pivot the aesthetics and tone toward what was coming, and are appreciated. From the rest, the last time I compared the editions, I didn't notice much in the way of narrative significance to them. Even the shooting in the cantina mostly serve to make Greedo look dumb without having that much of an effect on Han (who is still quite clearly planning on icing him from the word go).

Well, that's what I think, anyway.

Jedi Rocks is better than Lapti Nek.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really don't like the added Jabba scene for the most part, especially the Boba Fett staring at the camera bit. Somebody in this thread pointed out that it makes it very clear that Han would have been fine if he paid off Jabba with his reward for saving Leia, but it also seems like he could have immediately left to pay him after the Death Star was destroyed, so eh.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The MSJ posted:

This reminds me, there's inter-species romance in Star Wars but there are no hybrid characters. That's surprisingly realistic.

UmOk posted:

Why didn't Gender Master Yoda go with him?
The Gender Bendu Order

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 29, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Barudak posted:

Wait a slave is fuckin spoiled because he is hopeful that a force of good as he understands it will free other people like him and then risks is life in a lethal racing competition to get them a part for their spaceship with no request or bargaining for anything in return?

Like he literally asks for nothing from them, and in fact offers them everything he has.

The thing is that people can't separate their intrinsic reactions to a character as presented and acted and the character as specified in the plotting.

What you say about Lil an akin is true. At the same time, I didn't like the actor and found every scene with him a teeth gritting slog.

There are reasons in the text and subtext for adult anakin to act like he does but holy poo poo he's also hitting every lovely moody teenager trigger I have and dammit I don't wanna spend time with this guy.

There are also ideas I like when viewed at a distance that the way the film handles on screen in a way I just do not believe for a moment.

The doomed romance? Doesn't work for me. I love the concept, but I don't believe those characters actions and I camt standthe acting.

The failures of the jedi and the republics rush into the arms of fascism is some interesting poo poo until the movies actually take a look at it and it all comes across as such outrageous contrivance that again I can't get behind it.

Hubris? Cool. Acting against your own principles as you head into war? Interesting. Just accepting the billions of clone troopers some assholes handed to you at face value with a shrug? This is a level of stupidity I cannot get behind or believe.

It seems to me that most defence of the prequels takes that kind of broad strokes view of the themes and while I agree there are interesting ideas and a wonderful narrative sweep here it just doesn't hold up to me moment to moment, whether it's because of bad dialogue, acting or a reliance on idiot ball decisions throughout.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cardboard Box A posted:

The Gender Bendu Order

???

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hybrid

I'd actually take this mention of wookiepedia to introduce one of the stupidest time wasters I've ever invented. Visit wookipedia, hit random article and post your new Liquid DNB / Cloud Rap / Vaporwave Artist and Album name.

Fabrin - Novolek Beacon
Ketter Yaaran - Atmospheric Dampener

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I forgot that it was Han who shoots because he's frustrated with Chewbacca's cowardice. Instead, we can talk about how Chewbacca blunders into an incredibly obvious trap with the ewoks. The point is that the things characters do in a film contribute to their characterization.

Yep, didn't mean to take away from the point you were making.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

The Gender Bendu Order

Those are kids from a previous marriage, not hybrids. Clones can't reproduce, except for maybe Boba.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MrJacobs posted:

Clones can't reproduce, except for maybe Boba.

They can't? I'd never heard that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I would think a more workable argument would be that those kids are definitely older than two years, which is the oldest they could possibly be if their dad was an AWOL clone

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Super Fan posted:

Ford, Jones and Guiness still act circles around everyone in the PT.

Ian McDiarmid in the PT acts circles around everyone in the OT. .

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Davros1 posted:

Even Ian McDiarmid?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Even Ian McDiarmid?

Especially Ian McDiarmid.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Davros1 posted:

No, he goes so far it's comical and not in a good way. That hammy acting he does when he's electrocuting himself is just the worst

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ham is delicious.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
UNLIMITED POWER

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

No, like Guiness and Cushing, McDiarmid recognized that the Star Wars were nothing more than a pulpy genre, and played it accordingly.

Serf
May 5, 2011

McDiarmid crushed it every time he appeared in the movies but in the prequels he was at the top of his game. Too bad he and McGregor didn't get more scenes together because they were fantastic.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Davros1 posted:

No, like Guiness and Cushing, McDiarmid recognized that the Star Wars were nothing more than a pulpy genre, and played it accordingly.

I don't recall Guiness and Cushing saying "NO NO NO" like a petulant kid, but it's been awhile since I've seen the OT. McDiarmid shoulda shown a little restraint.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at people finding another minor detail to complain on and on about. It's the definition of missing the forest for the trees.

"Thes are the worst movies ever. In this scene, this guy reads a line like a child! Like a child! It's bad. It's bad!"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yaws posted:

No, he goes so far it's comical and not in a good way. That hammy acting he does when he's electrocuting himself is just the worst

We'll just have to disagree.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

UNLIMITED POWER

Unlimited HAM!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Why do some fans jerk off all over Guinness? He seems genuinely bored in a lot of scenes. Especially when he's a ghost in Empire

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alec Guinness has phoned in better performances than some actors have ever given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
On the whole I really don't like the prequels, but if they want to make a movie where palatine just chews the scenery for a for hours and freaks out about his unlimited power id buy 5 tickets

• Locked thread