Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mishaq posted:

wot does this mean

if you can figure it out, there's a hell career of frustration, computers, and "this is fine dot png" waiting for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

dev crops

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the narrator in phenix project def came off as a whiny martyr, and it sometimes lacked self awareness, but the book did have some good stuff in it. not narrative wise really - the book isnt really about characters. its just a way to lay out how to improve on a situation

mishaq posted:

wot does this mean

devops means to loving work together to deploy poo poo instead of siloing stuff. Developers ship, deployers deploy, and everyone is feeding info back to each other so they know what the gently caress is going on or coming up

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

devops means to loving work together to deploy poo poo instead of siloing stuff. Developers ship, deployers deploy, developers get paged, and everyone is feeding info back to each other so they don't know what the gently caress is going on or coming up

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

devops means to loving work together to deploy poo poo instead of siloing stuff. Developers ship, deployers deploy, and everyone is feeding info back to each other so they know what the gently caress is going on or coming up

i mean i hear the term "devops" all the time but it doesn't seem to have any agreed upon meaning so i am curious what the gently caress a company that sells "devops" to other companies sells it as

i like your explanation

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

mishaq posted:

i mean i hear the term "devops" all the time but it doesn't seem to have any agreed upon meaning so i am curious what the gently caress a company that sells "devops" to other companies sells it as
this is true. its even looser than scrum/agile/kanban

mishaq posted:

i like your explanation
namaste

The money shot of the book is if you get your middle and higher managers to read it, then hopefully they'll start making the org run smoother. the book also re-affirms that developers are spineless pussies and should buck up a lil

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 24, 2016

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
devops means whatever it needs to for you to sign a 3 million dollar deal for products and services

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Just ask the one and only Devops Thought Lord, our own Jon Hendron

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mishaq posted:

i like your explanation

atlassian reseller

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
this is devops

https://twitter.com/tsantero/status/793566153138245632

Graff
May 10, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

devops means to loving work together to poo poo up the world instead of siloing stuff. Developers poo poo up the world, deployers dick up the world, and everyone is feeding info back to each other in one big poo poo loving piss dick feedback howl of desperation and futility forever

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

KoRMaK posted:

this is my understanding of what it means with the caveat that the developer and the deployer are the same person and they're paid like a developer but expected to be on call like an sre

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the great part is that devops is viewed as distinct from dev, immediately self-defeating

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Corla Plankun posted:

this is my understanding of what it means with the caveat that the developer and the deployer are the same person and they're paid like a developer but expected to be on call like an sre

the pay jump happens when you take your next job because now you have the word devops on your resume like some sort of lovely recruiter catnip

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

what the gently caress is going on when regarding people who volunteer to wear a pager on their awful obese 20th century hip?

blargh

idiots

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bulgakov posted:

what the gently caress is going on when regarding people who volunteer to wear a pager on their awful obese 20th century hip?

blargh

idiots

they're probably using "pager duty" as a quick way to say "my personal cell number is entered into rotation on the webapp that routes alerts according to an on call schedule that is literally called pagerduty.com"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*clips pager next to android phablet in otterbox case and hefts hidden belt in desperate attempt to avoid full fat suspenders*

yep *waits for gut to reshape*

looks like im on pager duty this week

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'what do you call that act?'

i lean across the table

'devops'

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

Share Bear posted:

lmao if you ever hear someone outside your org get fired on a conference call for being incompetent

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Share Bear posted:

lmao if you ever hear someone outside your org get fired on a conference call for being incompetent

lol storytime

back in my Ops days, they called an emergency, we all hopped on the bridge. it was an LDAP issue at one of our subsidiary locations, a small spot. their AD had gone offline somehow and nobody could log in to their workstations and poo poo. i got dismissed from the call since it wasn't my area, but i hung on cuz it sounded weird. all our AD guys agreed that the server was unreachable, but it was in their remote tiny datacenter so they had to have the single local IT guy check it.

except he wasn't there. the director of that location was called in and said he'd run to Staples and wasn't sure when he'd be back. they had to patiently explain to him that until the guy got back, nothing could happen, because we couldn't touch the server from corporate while it was offline. so the director kept calling the guy's cell.

after like half an hour he called into the bridge from the parking lot, tons of noise, said he was buying a network hub and he'd call back in when he got back to the office, and hung up. a little while later, boop, the AD server comes up and everything seems ok.

but our network guys start interrogating him before closing out the bridge to find out what had happened. they were eventually and reluctantly told that their switch had run out of ports. rather than contact them to make arrangements for a new one (which is part of what they handle on behalf of the subsidiary locations like this), he just went and got a little D-Link hub, plugged it into the switch, and moved a few cables over to it. and it turns out the AD was one of those. the whole emergency was caused when that little 4 port (FOUR. PORT.) hub had finally died.

and god bless the mute function because i was laughing my loving rear end off while our network guys tore him a new rear end in a top hat about it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium posted:

lol storytime

back in my Ops days, they called an emergency, we all hopped on the bridge. it was an LDAP issue at one of our subsidiary locations, a small spot. their AD had gone offline somehow and nobody could log in to their workstations and poo poo. i got dismissed from the call since it wasn't my area, but i hung on cuz it sounded weird. all our AD guys agreed that the server was unreachable, but it was in their remote tiny datacenter so they had to have the single local IT guy check it.

except he wasn't there. the director of that location was called in and said he'd run to Staples and wasn't sure when he'd be back. they had to patiently explain to him that until the guy got back, nothing could happen, because we couldn't touch the server from corporate while it was offline. so the director kept calling the guy's cell.

after like half an hour he called into the bridge from the parking lot, tons of noise, said he was buying a network hub and he'd call back in when he got back to the office, and hung up. a little while later, boop, the AD server comes up and everything seems ok.

but our network guys start interrogating him before closing out the bridge to find out what had happened. they were eventually and reluctantly told that their switch had run out of ports. rather than contact them to make arrangements for a new one (which is part of what they handle on behalf of the subsidiary locations like this), he just went and got a little D-Link hub, plugged it into the switch, and moved a few cables over to it. and it turns out the AD was one of those. the whole emergency was caused when that little 4 port (FOUR. PORT.) hub had finally died.

and god bless the mute function because i was laughing my loving rear end off while our network guys tore him a new rear end in a top hat about it.

loving Lomarf

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Captain Foo posted:

loving Lomarf

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

the great part is that devops is viewed as distinct from dev, immediately self-defeating

read "self-defecating" and agreed

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
there are two women i work with that, on a conference call, apparently sound similar enough that my boss can't tell the difference between the two. so roughly once a week he'll launch into a robust round of mansplaining aimed at the wrong person.

you can generally hear people cringing as he does so.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
1 - "... so I can set up the scripts to..."
2 - "I'm sorry, can someone mute their phone? There's a lot of background noise here."
1 - "Sorry, that's me, a group of people just walked in to the lab and are making a lot of noise."
2 - "Ok can you mute please?"
1 - "But I'm trying to answer your question, there's nothing I can do about it..."
2 - "I think if you hit star six..."
like four people at once - "But he's trying to talk to you."

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
shout out to the olds whose webcam feeds show up as a solid bright color because they taped paper over their webcams

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
this thread owns

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Podima posted:

shout out to the olds whose webcam feeds show up as a solid bright color because they taped paper over their webcams

lol if u allow ur corpulent mass to be seen thru a webcam

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i used to work with a guy who'd install skype every night to talk to his wife and then uninstall it cause "that's how isis gets in"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cat Face Joe posted:

lol if u allow ur corpulent mass to be seen thru a webcam

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

graph posted:

this thread owns

Yeah it keeps delivering

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

just had a webex where someone glitched out and dialed in / immediately hung up in rapid succession for about thirty seconds. it had perfect comedic timing when it started too:

boo-beep
> hello who joined?
bee-boop
> oh haha guess he's having problems too-
boo-beep
> ... are you in now-
bee-boop
> this is ridicul-
boo-beepbee-boopboo-beepbee-boopboo-beep going on forever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dos a conference line with one weird trick

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

management all hands meeting today had most of the presenters very quiet except for the main one who introduced each of the others, who was intent on making us all deaf

"thanks very much and looking forward to working with you all"
"OKAY THANKS BILL NOW WE'LL HEAR FROM ZANE"
"hello everyone my name is zane"

on and on for an hour and a half

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

zane

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Now Zane i can get into

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maniacdevnull posted:

Now Zane i can dial into

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

can i get a screen wobble?

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Agile Vector posted:

Now Zane i can dial into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm up on support rotation this week so i get a bug for every failed call anywhere in the entire company. nothing quoteworthy for the thread yet tho.

• Locked thread