Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
This is basically worthless coming from a Boston fan but even despite 'the curse' the cubs had that 'team of destiny' stink all over them for the whole playoffs, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

So Jackson's a top '14 prospect who struggled in single-A? I guess I'm fine with that. Seems like one of those trades where the most likely outcome is no one remembers it at all in a few years.

Probably. At best, you probably get a couple decent years out of the group as a whole. I get the trade since the Mariners seem to have a glut of outfielders (among other things released my high school coach's son due to "medical concerns" after drafting him as a late round pick with a ceiling as org guy outfielder) and the Braves have too much pitching reaching the upper minors so they needed to make some decisions on who among the non-MLB ready guys could stick around. It's just funny to see minor league trades like this outside of fantasy/sim leagues.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
There's beat-writer speculation the Braves might try Jackson behind the plate, since catching is definitely the org' weakest point. I also just think Coppolella gets itchy if he goes too long without making some sort of trade.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

elentar posted:

There's beat-writer speculation the Braves might try Jackson behind the plate, since catching is definitely the org' weakest point. I also just think Coppolella gets itchy if he goes too long without making some sort of trade.

He was a good defensive catcher as a college player. I always just worry about players trying to adjust back after being away from it, especially players with :airquote:makeup issues:airquote:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bilirubin posted:

Its clearly a ripped off site, but I don't own the IP. I ordered one thing, but got another. However, its probably worth what I paid for it? So I kind of think I owe Visa for the cash they are out in all of this. OTOH, I acted in good faith, and never expected this loving thing to arrive.

I think Visa will be fine, don't lose any sleep over it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jerry Dipoto has more or less said he's good with the starting position players. He will probably obtain more pitching via trades, but who knows how much. This is the roster now:

C: Zunino / Ruiz
1B: Vogelbach / Valencia
2B: Cano
3B: Seager (the older one)
SS: Segura
OF: Leonys Martin / Guillermo Hereida / Seth Smith / Ben Gamel
DH: Cruz

A starting 1-2-3-4 of Segura, Seager, Cano and Cruz sounds amazing. Not sure if this is WS material, but maybe AL west winning material.

Starting pitching still looks weak, since it's Felix, Iwakuma, Paxton, Ariel Miranda and who the hell knows at 5. First 3 all had injury concerns last year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Jerry Dipoto has more or less said he's good with the starting position players. He will probably obtain more pitching via trades, but who knows how much. This is the roster now:

C: Zunino / Ruiz
1B: Vogelbach / Valencia
2B: Cano
3B: Seager (the older one)
SS: Segura
OF: Leonys Martin / Guillermo Hereida / Seth Smith / Ben Gamel
DH: Cruz

A starting 1-2-3-4 of Segura, Seager, Cano and Cruz sounds amazing. Not sure if this is WS material, but maybe AL west winning material.

Starting pitching still looks weak, since it's Felix, Iwakuma, Paxton, Ariel Miranda and who the hell knows at 5. First 3 all had injury concerns last year.

Having CoFers and a first basemen that are going to OPS ~80 are not really avenues to winning. Their holes are ridiculously huge.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

Having CoFers and a first basemen that are going to OPS ~80 are not really avenues to winning. Their holes are ridiculously huge.

This past season Valencia was a top-20 1B by OPS and wRC+, his platoon split has disappeared over the past two years.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 29, 2016

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

So does makeup issues just mean you're an rear end in a top hat or what?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Speaking of the Cubs, when's the last time the team with the best record won the WS? I could look it up but :effort:

Paul Zuvella posted:

Having CoFers and a first basemen that are going to OPS ~80 are not really avenues to winning.

Well poo poo :(

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Intruder posted:

Speaking of the Cubs, when's the last time the team with the best record won the WS? I could look it up but :effort:

Well poo poo :(

In the past 20 years it has happened in:

1998: Yankees
2007: Red Sox
2009: Yankees
2013: Red Sox
2016: Chicago

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

2013, 2009, 2007 were the last three

efb with better info

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Huh, way more often than I thought

thanks fam

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It's kind of funny, if you google for information about this you see an article from journalists covering the the team with the best record every year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheChaosPath posted:

So does makeup issues just mean you're an rear end in a top hat or what?
Pretty much, or at least to the point where it becomes a problem with your career

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That Eric Thames contract is hillarious but he's a cool dude so good for him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's kind of funny, if you google for information about this you see an article from journalists covering the the team with the best record every year.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

CubsWoo posted:

Especially other playoff team posters, did the Cubs feel like an unstoppable juggernaut or did you always have a sort of quiet confidence that the curse was real or the Cubs would just Cubs it up like they always used to?
(Cleveland fan)

They felt unstoppable once they evened the WS at 3-3. In the regular season they won 103 games in a league where 9 of the 15 teams posted a losing record. Cleveland won 9 less games, but only 5 teams in the AL were below .500.

Coming into the WS I saw them as good but beatable. I think if Cleveland had a healthy Carrasco or if Salazar was able to start, it would have been a 4-1 series win. That's obviously not how it turned out and even though I had to watch Cleveland lose a second one in Game 7 extra innings, it's hard to be salty because the loving Cubs won a World Series.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Paul Zuvella posted:

Seth Smith hasn't posted an OPS+ under 100 since 2010, and Danny Valencia was pretty good at hitting the last two years. The big question marks are Heredia, Vogelbach and Gamel (I suppose you could ask if Leonys Martin's power was real last year, but he's also CF and pretty drat good at that too).

Edit: since Alex Jackson was traded, there's only 2 first round draft picks in the Mariners system now: Mike Zunino and DJ Peterson. Look at this tire fire:

2009: Dustin Ackley and Nick Franklin
2010: Taijuan Walker
2011: Danny Hultzen
2012: Mike Zunino
2013: DJ Peterson
2014: Alex Jackson
2015: None, since we signed Nelson Cruz

Did Jack Z get picked up by an FO? Even Bill Bavasi got a job after getting canned.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 29, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Boy are the white sox dumb as poo poo

Like I get not wanting to trade with the Cubs. But jesus christ do you not literally tell them that. The Cubs are one of the few teams in MLB who's farm system and MLB squad has the resources to offer for a realistic shot at Sale.

Even if you know you won't trade him to them, you should at least keep them around as leverage to the other NL teams.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

This past season Valencia was a top-20 1B by OPS and wRC+, his platoon split has disappeared over the past two years.

Roster Resource projects their lineup against RHP to be something like:

Segura
Smith
Cano
Cruz
Seager
Zunino
Martin
Vogelbach
Gamel

The problem for the Mariners is the unknown offensive production from Gamel and Vogelbach plus the aging Seth Smith. Segura isn't really the ideal leadoff hitter unless he can continue to cheat BABIP. The middle of that lineup is strong, but the downside to Segura/Vogelbach/Gamel is cavernous. I can definitely see a learning curve year for Vogelbach as he adjusts to MLB pitching and they adjust back. I think it's fair to expect peaks and valleys since he's got a good eye but some swing and miss and he hasn't hit tons of home runs in the minors even though he's got the strength to do it.

Also, after two years of very good production, Valencia's splits were an issue again last year, when his overall wRC+ was lower than John Jaso.

What I like about the Mariners is that they bear Jerry DiPoto's mark. I think this is him working without the bad directives of Moreno and he's made a lot of smart small pickups. I expect he'll continue to make tons of trades and waiver pickups and make incremental improvements between now and the end of 2017.

Even if some of their major leaguers fail, I think the nice surprises for the Mariners would be if post-hype D.J. Peterson starts to hit again and Kyle Lewis recovers well from his ACL tear since he was seen as someone who could have moved quickly through the minors. I don't know his exact scouting report but I know he was popular in large roster keeper fantasy leagues as someone to go ahead and pick up.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Paul Zuvella posted:

In the past 20 years it has happened in:

1998: Yankees
2007: Red Sox
2009: Yankees
2013: Red Sox
2016: Chicago

Howdy, being in the AL East sucks really bad.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Chexoid posted:

Howdy, being in the AL East sucks really bad.

Alternatively, when you're the Yankees it's pretty good.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, but for a dude that plays horrible defense, he super sucked in the second half last season.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/803677430078550016

That's cool.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Hell yes. 4/$110 million apparently.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Mets.... spent money?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Dexo posted:

Boy are the white sox dumb as poo poo

Like I get not wanting to trade with the Cubs. But jesus christ do you not literally tell them that. The Cubs are one of the few teams in MLB who's farm system and MLB squad has the resources to offer for a realistic shot at Sale.

Even if you know you won't trade him to them, you should at least keep them around as leverage to the other NL teams.

I've been annoyed with how bad and dumb the White Sox have been, but this is especially frustrating. They care more about the success of the team across town than do about making themselves better. That is such petty small time bullshit. I loving hate this team.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Julio Cruz posted:

Hell yes. 4/$110 million apparently.

And full no-trade clause. Pretty sweet.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Wait, is that less AAV than the contract he just opted out of?

I mean I guess he gets the extra years, just a bit surprising given the season he had

e: No it's not and I'm dumb

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Is this supposed to be good? This year the 20th best qualified 1B in baseball by wRC+ was Yonder Alonso with 88. #19 was Hosmer with 101. Both players were worth negative WAR. Those are not the kind of numbers you want from a 1B on a contending team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'd take those numbers in a heartbeat

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bawfuls posted:

Is this supposed to be good? This year the 20th best qualified 1B in baseball by wRC+ was Yonder Alonso with 88. #19 was Hosmer with 101. Those are not the kind of numbers you want from a 1B on a contending team.

Yeah, "Bottom 3rd in the league" is not exactly a great position to be in.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

Wait, is that less AAV than the contract he just opted out of?

I mean I guess he gets the extra years, just a bit surprising given the season he had

He had 2/$47.5M left on his contract, so he's got the extra years and the AAV's gone up a bit.

e: by AAV he's now the 6th highest paid player in baseball and the 2nd highest position player.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

That's basically what you got with Marwin Gonzalez at 87

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying watching Justin Smoak try to dig to china on every breaking ball for a good 500 ABs.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Intruder posted:

I have a feeling you may see a lot of Mark Trumbo next year.

I'm very sorry for this.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Good job resigning Cespedes, boys.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man that's the big money.

Cespedes is probably worth it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU