Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah but you can customize the response going through the range so I might try it out.

I was sitting basically upright at a desk with my pedals and trying to get the appropriate response felt terrible so I'm at least used to everything feeling like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I've played Dirt Rally and other racing games with the Steam Controller with no trouble. My recommendation is double check there's nothing bound to the soft pull on the triggers. Steam picks the most popular configuration when you first run the game with the controller, so sometimes the community config it downloaded has some action bound to the soft pull which may throw you off when using them.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The LMP1 Porsche having a map of Le Mans in it makes me slightly angry there's no official Le Mans in AC.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AC having an official Le Mans but no support for 24h races would be as hilarious as iRacing having Le Mans but no day/night cycle.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I'd love both Le Mans and Laguna Seca to be laser scanned for this. I imagine Le Mans has the difficulty of using real streets that might make doing this somewhat time sensitive.

So are the Porsche packs top quality? I do love me some Porsche, though having my favorites all spread out makes it costly.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yes the two Porsche packs are pretty great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

njsykora posted:

AC having an official Le Mans but no support for 24h races would be as hilarious as iRacing having Le Mans but no day/night cycle.

What would AC do with 24 hour races? Who is going to run a 24 hour race in AC?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

It would be nice to have a proper night setting at least?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Leagues. At the very least it'd be nice for the game with the all the modern and historic GT and LMP cars to have some endurance racing features.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't been paying attention, is AC's flag rules still dogshit?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I had to put socks on amazon subscription. End up with holes from my pedals constantly.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If anybody is buying the Fantaec CSL black Friday deal, be sure you add that to the shopping cart and then go back and add any other items (pedals, etc) you might be adding separately. If you use the configurator as the site suggests to add them, it strips out the bundle savings. It's not a big deal, as it shows you that the price has changed and you aren't getting your bundle savings, but I figured I'd mention it in case someone wasn't paying close enough attention.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Here's a quick rundown of sim racing game deals on right now.

F1 2016 is $40 and Dirt Rally is $30
RaceRoom's Steam packs are all 50% off, everything in the in-game store is discounted as well.
Automobilista is $20, the Brit Pack is 50% off and the season pass is 25% off too. Stock Car Extreme and Formula Truck 2013 are both super cheap as well.
Assetto Corsa is $21, and a few of the DLC packs are half price as well.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Think I'll grab the Automobilista season pass.

Told myself I wasn't going to buy anything on this steam sale. gently caress.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The MotoGP games are all under $10 on steam too (the 2016 release is Valentino Rossi branded). Hard to sell them as sims but good loving luck accurately simulating a motorbike on a PC. Upside is the best way to play them is with a joypad. :v:

Nailing corners on a bike is a heap of fun once you figure it out.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

xzzy posted:

The MotoGP games are all under $10 on steam too (the 2016 release is Valentino Rossi branded). Hard to sell them as sims but good loving luck accurately simulating a motorbike on a PC. Upside is the best way to play them is with a joypad. :v:

Nailing corners on a bike is a heap of fun once you figure it out.

How deep do these get?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Norns posted:

How deep do these get?

I like them for checking out/reminding myself of each track on each race weekend. They are pretty much fluff games, but they can be fun.

They are made by the same people that used to make the WRC series, Milestone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I wouldn't call them deep. They do have a pretty good career mode but there's not much tuning to be done.. you can adjust a few sliders and that's about it. The AI is pretty stupid too.

But like I said before, nailing a series of curves on a bike is fun in a way that a car could never touch. The final left-right zigzag on Mugello in particular is one of my favorite.. taking that section flat out is a gently caress yeah moment.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I always enjoyed dirt bike games to circuit bikes. I haven't looked but if the MXGP games are on sale those are real good. Have a bit of a dynamic track thing too where you'll wear a groove into the dirt and can then use it to go through turns faster.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So I bought project CARS because Steam sale and I really wanted a new racing game. The cart races are hard as gently caress on a controller and I don't think I can fit a wheel anywhere, should I just turn difficulty down until I can finish in the points and hope I get some offers for cars before I can turn it back up?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
project cars is basically undrivable no matter how you slice it. the karts are the worst of it though. god help you if you haven't even made it to superkarts yet.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Well that sucks to hear. The superkarts were the real inspiration for that post traction is like an on off switch with them.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

finally have Assetto Corsa DLC other than Dream Pack 1 :toot:

Having a job that gives me more than 3 hours a week is great in some respects

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

KidDynamite posted:

Well that sucks to hear. The superkarts were the real inspiration for that post traction is like an on off switch with them.

Yet the AI can fly through corners and tap the rumble strips without having the same limitations you do. And they still manage to drive like idiots and crash everyone around them.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
There are controller setup guides for Project Cars that help improve the feel a lot. The default settings are pretty terrible. Someone linked them a long time ago itt but you can probably just google it

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
If someone finds them PM them to me in case I ever get around updating the OP.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Kilonum posted:

finally have Assetto Corsa DLC other than Dream Pack 1 :toot:

Having a job that gives me more than 3 hours a week is great in some respects

JDM car pack is the tits :rice:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Just got Assetto Corsa in the steam sale. I went with it over P.Cars because of the mod support. Any goon recommended essential mods I should be on the lookout for?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Gramps posted:

Just got Assetto Corsa in the steam sale. I went with it over P.Cars because of the mod support. Any goon recommended essential mods I should be on the lookout for?

Same question but Automobilista. I already went and got CART Extreme though.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Same question but Automobilista. I already went and got CART Extreme though.

Patrick's track pack for sure, and CART which you have. I also like Empty Box's DynHUD but I modded it to include the track map so I can see where everybody is.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
There are some recommendations in the MODS section of the OP. Not quite up-to-date, especially most cars are currently broken because of the 1.9 fmod update.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I finally picked up the first Dream DLC on sale for Nurdburgering alone but the extra cars are okay. Love how they actually have all the spraypainted road stuff on there.

Gramps posted:

Best mods are user created tracks.

If you like drifting they have a few iconic Ebisu Circuit options:

http://acmods.net/?s=ebisu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPgG45lEDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elNHyORnzjw

There are also a bunch of wide open tracks - one especially that surrounds a lake and has highway style driving. ( http://acmods.net/tracks/lake-louise-loop-road/ ? )

When it comes to car mods a lot of them feel like like poo poo compared to the ones the devs put out. The official JDM DLC car pack covers a lot of the great sports cars I wanted but could only find in mods. But mods are also free so just browse one of the sites that has a bunch of them and try them at random until you get bored of it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Oh boy AC is now unplayable for me because every time I try to start a session it crashes back to the menu. Verifying files does nothing.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Reset your resolution.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Thanks for that, somehow it got set to trying to render on a Rift. I don't have VR of any kind. :wtf:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It likes to change resolution to the strangest things. Always check that first if it won't load into a session without any error message.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

The Science Goy posted:

Patrick's track pack for sure, and CART which you have. I also like Empty Box's DynHUD but I modded it to include the track map so I can see where everybody is.

Post plz.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Thief posted:

Best mods are user created tracks.

A lot of AC mods are quick ports over from rFactor and generally they're pretty ugly and sloppy so give those a miss.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The absolute must-haves for me are Virginia, Bridgehampton and Riverside for tracks, and the XJ13 for cars. All in all there are maybe a dozen good cars and tracks each, the rest is subpar or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Ziploc posted:

Post plz.

posted

Drop into your AMS installation folder, that should be it. The Boxman designed it for 1920x1080, I don't think I needed to modify anything for it to cooperate with triple monitors. I just added the track map code from the stock DynHUD overlay, otherwise I believe it's the same as his original version.

Also give this one a shot, I just found it today and want to try it out. It also has tire temps (and a colorful track map, fancy)