Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
oh, i didnt remember that you were at intel now. well good luck with that, maybe they'll make yall do the crazy acpi cppc stuff next instead of good ol p-state control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
c terrible programmer s: spent a whole day tearing my hair out about why none of my log statements were being hit, turns out the code I was editing was not the code I was running.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i spent an hour or so today trying to figure out why something wasn't working and the reason was that i put an @ on the wrong side of a {

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

here's my tiling-within-iterm setup on osx:

emacs on top, shells on the bottom. then more shells inside of iterm tabs, with shell things going on inside them.

it works for me.

you seem like an incredible nerd

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
loving christ this project, there is nothing i can take a look at and have it make sense, it's a fractal of terrible

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Jabor posted:

c terrible programmer s: spent a whole day tearing my hair out about why none of my log statements were being hit, turns out the code I was editing was not the code I was running.

sympathies

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jabor posted:

i've done this with trying to fix a failing test before

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Jabor posted:

these days this is one of the very first things I verify before starting work on anything, just because of how many times I've made that mistake

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

loving christ this project, there is nothing i can take a look at and have it make sense, it's a fractal of terrible

i'm doing a 3-way compare with version control - testing - production and i just found a file that was altered in production in 2013 that had over 100 lines of sql added to it.

it was never copied to version control and one developer made some changes a few months ago. those changes have been tested and are ready to deploy to production.

i shudder to think what would have happened if i had just deployed the version from testing to production without checking. :stare:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

qntm posted:

these days this is one of the very first things I verify before starting work on anything, just because of how many times I've made that mistake

same

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Jabor posted:

:same:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
there is a file that is found both on the test and production servers, but is not in version control.

the test and production version have some slight differences.

i think my ruling is "the production version is de-facto the correct one and will be committed to version control"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jabor posted:

only programmers will know this feel

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Wheany posted:

there is a file that is found both on the test and production servers, but is not in version control.

the test and production version have some slight differences.

i think my ruling is "the production version is de-facto the correct one and will be committed to version control"

there's no other option. nuke the test one and commit the prod one and fix your loving deploy so this can't happen again. i've done exactly this before

there is a slight exception if you can find a person who is familiar with both and can attest that the test version is a non-breaking improvement on the prod one but that will never happen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

that's one of the things eclipse always handled better than VS. in vs you have your currently running project which only ever has one entry point. in eclipse you can easily just run whatever you're currently looking at.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Just spent a while trying to work out why some code was working perfectly on QA but crashing on production and eventually working out it's because the account id was being cast to a short at one point and all the QA accounts being tested with had low account ids. This isn't the first time we've had this either, for such an obscure bug I'm surprised how often the scenario has come up.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Chalks posted:

Just spent a while trying to work out why some code was working perfectly on QA but crashing on production and eventually working out it's because the account id was being cast to a short at one point and all the QA accounts being tested with had low account ids. This isn't the first time we've had this either, for such an obscure bug I'm surprised how often the scenario has come up.

lol

(not saying that's dumb, it's not, it's fairly understandable. but it's still amusing)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

only programmers will know this feel

one of my non-programmer friends said to me once: "all you do is stare at the same line of code all day and then add a semi-colon and then call it good."

he knows me too well

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

had my first ever white board interview after 7 years of programming. they loving suck massive dicks

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

bone app the teeth posted:

had my first ever white board interview after 7 years of programming. they loving suck massive dicks

Was it bad because you were nervous or because they asked stupid questions? pls post questions if they were stupid

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i3wm is probably the best programmer window manager but i run os x for everything

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

Was it bad because you were nervous or because they asked stupid questions? pls post questions if they were stupid

questions were easy but stepping up to a blank white board while 6 people watch you. ugh, my nerves

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i3wm is probably the best programmer window manager but i run os x for everything

same and same

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I hope the next version of C has something like gcc's cleanup function attribute for local variables because I am being tempted by that particular siren song and it seems rly cool

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

bone app the teeth posted:

questions were easy but stepping up to a blank white board while 6 people watch you. ugh, my nerves

If it makes you feel better, when we're doing whiteboard interviews we definitely take nerves into account, and it's usually obvious when nerves are big factor.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i3 rules and so does linux, I can't imagine spending another second of my life fighting against subtle osx fuckery

pls ignore the fact that im traveling with 2 laptops because I can't webex with silly clients on linux

at least i know i'm retarded I guess?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i use linux for a lot of things but macbook pros are the only good laptops. that was pretty much the deciding factor.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i use linux for a lot of things but macbook pros are the only good laptops. that was pretty much the deciding factor.

no joke, they literally don't have enough ram for what i do :eyepoop:

pretty much stuck with thinkpad p-series, or dell precision

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

what are you doing on a laptop that requires more than 16gb of ram?

EDIT: not saying you shouldn't, im just curious

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

hm i just use my laptop for office and web browsing and all my actual work runs remotely on a real computer

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I really hate mac keyboards and am gonna be real sad when Lenovo inevitably decides to ruin the ones in T/X/W-series thinkpads

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

My work laptop has 32gb because I do a lot of mesos dev stuff w/ lots of containers

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i dunno about them but we develop an on-prem system that runs on servers with like 96gb+ of ram (or clusters of those servers) in production, but for dev we have the entire system with like 12 different services + artificial data generation + dev tools squeezed into a single vm that can run on a laptop. it can run on a laptop w/16gb of ram but barely. it's super nice though because you can essentially run production system locally with the only change being a reduced workload by typing "vagrant up" (and the sales guys love this too for demos)

if we didn't have people who insist on running macbooks we would probably require 32gb

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 29, 2016

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

kubernetes clusters of vm's :2bong:

of course most stuff can run in a lot less than 64gb, depending on the system and how complicated it is -- the biggest thing i work on regularly has a minimum footprint of 40gb of crap, though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chalks posted:

Gotta optimize

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

gonadic io posted:

fix your loving deploy so this can't happen again. i've done exactly this before

yeah, i'm pretty sure the deploy process is "someone copies some files with winscp to the production server"

then again, now that i've said that, i will find out that it's something dumber.

maybe i have to copy the files with ftp on some other server and then run a script on the production server that downloads the files from a hardcoded ip address and path. who knows! every day is like a new adventure! :dance:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

C.H.O.M.E posted:

an x86 emulator done right is kinda our job
lol no it isn't. the product is a chip with all errata documented, an emulator is a nice-to-have. never gonna do CV on a sim.

also why can't you crack open the simulator and figure out the hang??

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

here's my tiling-within-iterm setup on osx:

emacs on top, shells on the bottom. then more shells inside of iterm tabs, with shell things going on inside them.

it works for me.

our codebase is full of unspeakable horrors, but when i see screenshots like this one I remember that every single piece of our code is at least broadly outlined in comments and that I couldn't find two bare pages like these ones if i tried, and i realise that's at least one thing we can genuinely feel proud of

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

comments? lol weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
in my experience i always manage to extensively comment a piece of code ~7 days before it gets deleted

• Locked thread