Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Ill be able to start playing tomorrow or the next day in earnest. Here are the chars I'll be playing for sure:

Ubuh (20 Bard)
Descartes (20 Shm)
Farte (Mage box)
Butte (15 Necro)

Updated for accuracy.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Is there a goon server chat channel for Blue? Started playing P99 a couple weeks ago with some friends who are also goons. Almost level 21 on my Bard.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
No. But you can get an invite to our underwhelmingly attended guild.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

Did you unquit again? Is that why attendance is underwhelming instead of non-existent?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
That's it. I quit.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

moolchaba posted:

Join a real guild. Having a potential pool to fill/join groups from is quite significant. If you have designs for raiding you can consider hopping into one of the casual raid guilds for starters.

Or, let me preach the merits of Phinigel. I've been drat impressed with how good the instancing actually is when it comes to the game. There's still contesting of camps, but you'll never see that much more than 30 in a zone before another pick is available. The population is quite large as well.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm going through the install directions on the wiki. I can't find the files they're telling me to delete (Like arena.eqg or nektulos/lavastorm etc). Are they in a certain folder?

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm going through the install directions on the wiki. I can't find the files they're telling me to delete (Like arena.eqg or nektulos/lavastorm etc). Are they in a certain folder?
Should be in main folder IIRC.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Has anyone checked out Runnyeye since the revamp?

Got a 37 Ranger and 54 Wizard I'm playing casually. Look for Klaymen if any of you guys need a lift. Up for leveling an alt in the 20s or 30s if people are playing on Blue.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
For some reason BDA is doing some big recruitment drive. Xiek came into Unrest and basically just invited everyone who's unguilded, including my cleric. I'm not complaining, I've always thought of them as a fun, good guild. And now I have some green chat again!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
BDA moved to Phinny, and only a very very small few of the old guard stayed and kept the BDA tag (like 10 people or something). Most moved to Rustle. The few that stayed behind must be trying to build up ranks again.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Looking for another thurg plate breastplate and/or legs MQ if anyone has one rotting in their bank.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Bererez - got your gilded cloth on the cheap.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Anarch posted:

You rule!

Not_Rainbow_Horse fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 29, 2016

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Anarch posted:

Got you that laced veil

borf
Apr 5, 2006
I'm about to get back into the p99 action again, so what's the guild situation like now? Last I played it was Unknown Guild. I'll be mostly casual, not worried about raiding. Just looking for goons to chill and level with.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
There's more than a few of us on at some point during the day. If you can't find someone to invite you, just bump this thread with your character name.

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Cool thanks! Wasn't sure who to look for online. I'm a 26 monk named Zipfist, I'll be on today if anyone sees this.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

just type /who all "Unknown Guild" and it'll give you a list of everyone online, then just holler at the guy closest to East Commonlands or wherever you are

dont forget the quotation marks

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Got an invite and a sweet new fat stick to bash with, thanks all.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Can anyone invite me and my brother into guild?
I'm in as Lout, him as Stalwert.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
we got invite from bererez thanks duder

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Any clue if there will be an xp boost this weekend?

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

KingFisher posted:

we got invite from bererez thanks duder

no problem. sweet red text.

25% XP until Monday.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Is there a high enough (and low enough) population to group or solo as one's mood demands?

I'm going to be laid up a month and I would love to have a chance to play a bard again.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

yes

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

to elaborate on that i've been soloing multiple characters over 2+ years and i know guys who do nothing but group.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Great! Now to locate a copy of Titanium.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

poolside toaster posted:

Is there a high enough (and low enough) population to group or solo as one's mood demands?

I'm going to be laid up a month and I would love to have a chance to play a bard again.
Sure, although given the small world and small community, sometimes you'll be surprised at what is camped when you run around the world. At least when I played just before Velious was launched, stuff like Hill Giants, OOT seafuries, SRo AC, SolB Efreeti, all those classic camps (xp or loot) were occupied almost always both day and night. Many well-known good XP grind camps such as OOT gargs, OOT sisters, SolA gnomes, Oggok guards, etc., would also sometimes be taken, but not that often.

I solo'd a Monk from 1-50 untwinked (quite a challenge), and had rather free access to decent XP grind camps.

All in all, while it would be nice to do whatever camp you want, it's also nice that the game feels busy and a little crowded, part of the charm for sure.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

poolside toaster posted:

Great! Now to locate a copy of Titanium.

there is a torrential amount of options for that

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I logged into Red for the first time in three months; it seems more lively. I wish there was more incentive for people to join Red.

Pilsner posted:

I solo'd a Monk from 1-50 untwinked (quite a challenge), and had rather free access to decent XP grind camps.

How long did this take? Can you outline this?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Auto attack a blue/light blue mob, abuse combat bind wound, use intimidation/ID in areas with favorable pathing, bind wounds up after every fight and then mend or AFK until you have a comfortable hp cushion to kill another mob. It's honestly no different than soloing normally except you have to fight weaker/lower level stuff or stuff that can be ID'd easily. If you're going hardcore and not even buying stuff in EC with money you make on the character there are some choice pieces of gear to camp. Otherwise you just spend some time grinding low level plat spots to get the usual cheap weapons and hp/AC gear available in EC (note that this is actually easier than leveling solo pre-kunark given how much better/cheaper gear is in kunark/velious). You might end up needing to go do this anyway to keep yourself in bandages.

You end up needing to be slightly overleveled on average for a given zone (compared to groups/twinks), and it obviously takes a lot longer due to slower kills and longer recovery. Monk is a relatively easy class for this due to solid cheap damage output with fists or inexpensive weapons, good defensive skills, decent max hp, mend, ID, bind wound, and FD for when the RNG makes you miss 20 times in a row while the mob lands max damage hits. I'm pretty sure moolchaba did this with a warrior and a rogue (both harder/more boring) on P99 because he hates himself and that's his idea of fun.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Pilsner posted:

I solo'd a Monk from 1-50 untwinked

Solo to 60. C'mon man!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I'm pretty sure moolchaba did this with a warrior and a rogue (both harder/more boring) on P99 because he hates himself and that's his idea of fun.

I'm currently 58 on my rogue. I HATE YOU AND MYSELF!!!!

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Anyone able to help a brother out with some Silver Chitin Hand Wraps? I have almost 2k saved up, looking to blow my wad.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

lemonslol posted:

How long did this take? Can you outline this?
aparmenideanmonad said almost precisely what I did:

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Auto attack a blue/light blue mob, abuse combat bind wound, use intimidation/ID in areas with favorable pathing, bind wounds up after every fight and then mend or AFK until you have a comfortable hp cushion to kill another mob. It's honestly no different than soloing normally except you have to fight weaker/lower level stuff or stuff that can be ID'd easily. If you're going hardcore and not even buying stuff in EC with money you make on the character there are some choice pieces of gear to camp. Otherwise you just spend some time grinding low level plat spots to get the usual cheap weapons and hp/AC gear available in EC (note that this is actually easier than leveling solo pre-kunark given how much better/cheaper gear is in kunark/velious). You might end up needing to go do this anyway to keep yourself in bandages.

You end up needing to be slightly overleveled on average for a given zone (compared to groups/twinks), and it obviously takes a lot longer due to slower kills and longer recovery. Monk is a relatively easy class for this due to solid cheap damage output with fists or inexpensive weapons, good defensive skills, decent max hp, mend, ID, bind wound, and FD for when the RNG makes you miss 20 times in a row while the mob lands max damage hits. I'm pretty sure moolchaba did this with a warrior and a rogue (both harder/more boring) on P99 because he hates himself and that's his idea of fun.
Particularly the fact that you can easily buy overpowered Kunark-era weapons for reasonable amounts of platinum (that you can easily grind yourself) makes it decent.

I will say though, it it wasn't for the in-combat bind wound "exploit", and the overpowered Intimidation (aka. Instill Doubt) on P99, it would be absolute hell.

To be more specific, here is how I leveled:

First, I rolled an Iksar Monk. The Iksar regen makes a major difference in this case, as their regen is double that of Humans (and even a little more above lvl 51). The rest of the Iksar racials are also pure bonus: Better sight, swimming, AC bonus and Forage. The major downside is of course faction, which plays a big role in the old world. As a Monk with FD, it's not that big of a deal, you can almost always evade being killed, but beware that you will have to endure some seriously serious faction grinds. I took on the task of killing around 2000 orcs in the Commonlands in order to get faction with NFP, so I could bank. Alternatively you can bank in Neriak with just a day of faction work (turn in Lightstones to the lady in South Ro), but it is a lot more nice to be able to bank in FP.

Grind Mend and FD as soon as you can, along with your latest kick/special attack. It won't be until the 20's that you are fairly capable with your main skills (Mend and FD), then you are more safe in general. While leveling, beg or save up cash as best you can and aim for a cheap starter weapon such a Trance Stick, Adamantite Bo Stick, Fighting Baton, Bamboo Bo Stick or whatever is easy to obtain. Next start aiming for HP rings and other cheap HP gear.

Leveling as Iksar is easy, start in FoB then move on to Kurn's in the teens. I stayed there until level 20, to train FD and skill it up a little before I risked the big journey to Antonica. After that, you don't really need to see a trainer until level 30 for FK, and finally 35 for Riposte, and you can find neutral trainers in Antonica.

After bumming a port from Overthere to EC, I started grinding Great Lightstones in EC/WC. I saved them up, got an SoW from the EC tunnel, then ran to SRo to the dark elf gypsy lady and turned them in for a little XP and Dark Elf guard faction. I think at level 21/22 I had enough faction to be able to move (almost) safely through Neriak, so I could bank - just beware of the wandering Wizard outside the door to the bank. After that I did the Red Wine quest for further faction with the merchants of Neriak. I like grinding, and EC/WC is a comfortable safe place buzzing with life, plus it gives you a lot of time to skill up FD, Mend and Intimidation.

After this my leveling path was (copy paste from another post of mine):

21-23: Gnolls (live and undead) in the southwest corner of EK; aviak guards in Lake Rathe; gargs in OOT
23-30: Random mobs in South Karana - great place for ID kiting (got 3 peggy cloaks that way)
30-35: sisters in OOT (decent xp, and mainly the best cash camp until the 40's, which was important for me as my first char)
35-40: more South Karana random mobs
40-45: Sol A gnomes; there are lots of them, just beware of damage shields; you'll need a 2-hander and good timing.
45-50: Oggok guards (inside), intimidation kiting, bind wound abuse, and very good cash from all the Fine Steel. A monk can vendor and bank; in theory a rogue could do the same, but it would be insanely risky to go to the bank, since they have no FD.

A big thing about Monks is the weight limit, which is 14 and slowly increasing to 20 at lvl 59, then 24 (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230843). If you're brand new starting with 0 plat, I would advise you to screw the weight limit and keep harvesting coin until you're encumbered before banking. EQ and particularly a solo Monk is super gear dependant, so you need that plat. Even at level 5 I would harvest silver and walk to exchange it, just because I'm such a Scrooge in a game like P1999. You will lose AC due to the overweight, but you can still kill and fight well enough, which is all you need to level. Investing in WR bags is great, I would start by getting the two solb/guk bags (Bag of Sewn Evil-Eye and Light Burlap Sack), and getting the Forager Bag from a reasonably doable quest. With the two big bags, you can save Fine Steel weapons and vendor them. A few more tips about being a miserly Monk:

* You can exchange all your loose gold, silver and copper by selling an item you're going to sell anyway (for example a gem) to a vendor, then buying it back. The act of buying from a vendor will use all your small coins before digging into the platinum. Repeat multiple times to exchange more. Only use items that are coded to have a 10% (the minimum) difference between buy and sell value from vendors. This way you can run around almost solely with plat.
* At higher levels, if you're fighting near vendors (in a city or nearby), where you get so much plat that it starts weighing you down, you can buy relatively gems from a vendor with your plat, then re-sell them when you return to your friendly bank some day. Gems only weigh 0.1 for a whole stack.

The holy grail is of course the Tink Bag, which you might be able to purchase in your 40's after enough grinding. It's well worth it. Also invest in a JBoots MQ ASAP, it is gold.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I never used the bind wound during combat trick with my warrior. He had the evasive discipline that recycled pretty fast and a huge hp pool, it wasn't really needed (but I did have to run from mobs at times, bind wound after getting enough distance, and then re-engage).

I did use the bind wound during combat trick with my rogue from my mid 20s until I hit 30s. I decided that it was a bit too easy and stopped using it; I couldn't be certain if it was classic or not. When I was soloing seafuries (starting at 54), I had to run about 40% of the time and bind wound, but it got easier once he had the money saved up to buy the fungi.

There was a thread about soloing a rogue to 60 and pretty much everyone said "can't be done." Hahahahahahaahahahahahaha. I'm retarded enough to prove them wrong.

Also, there is a way to strafe and get off backstabs on mobs that I solo. I finally got it to work last night after someone got on my stream and told me about it. I have no plans to rely on it, but it's fun to do once in a while. It's taking advantage of how this server works, a slight delay when a mob hits you that prevents them from instantly facing you if you strafe quickly.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
All this solo "go get 'em tiger" chatter (cool posts Pilsner and mool :)) has me considering coming back to Blue on my iksar necro. Thing is, I got him to 54 and just kinda... lost my way? I don't know high end EQ and did not have any interest in raiding. I'm totally into the idea of playing twinked alts, which is partially why I rolled necro. A great, versatile class that can easily solo farm a bunch of fun twink gear for my future empire of alts.

He's got the tools he needs from when I spent a few weeks going hardcore on EC Tunnel item flipping for cash: Jboots, CoS, and lots of INT and AC gear.

I guess I'm just wondering, what should I go do with this guy at 54? Are there spells I get between 54-60 that utterly change the game for necro that I should push for higher levels? What are some fun item farms that a necro could solo at that level? Looking for ideas.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Siets posted:

All this solo "go get 'em tiger" chatter (cool posts Pilsner and mool :)) has me considering coming back to Blue on my iksar necro. Thing is, I got him to 54 and just kinda... lost my way? I don't know high end EQ and did not have any interest in raiding. I'm totally into the idea of playing twinked alts, which is partially why I rolled necro. A great, versatile class that can easily solo farm a bunch of fun twink gear for my future empire of alts.

He's got the tools he needs from when I spent a few weeks going hardcore on EC Tunnel item flipping for cash: Jboots, CoS, and lots of INT and AC gear.

I guess I'm just wondering, what should I go do with this guy at 54? Are there spells I get between 54-60 that utterly change the game for necro that I should push for higher levels? What are some fun item farms that a necro could solo at that level? Looking for ideas.

I'm in the same boat @ 55 on my wizard (Klaymen). Maybe there's some duo potential? I see necros soloing on Wakening Lands (holgresh?) whenever I run through Velious. Howling Stones basement and entrance are necro soloable (and popular camps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Could someone elaborate on the combat bind wound?