Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Black Baby Goku posted:

this is the only pokemon I hate

try using one, I think you'll find he's... quite chill. Also, they have 2nd, weird face on their back

Ristolaz posted:

No idea when ill be ablr to actually train up a team I'm insanely busy lol. But shotgun Dark

Shotgun Ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Soral posted:

i think its kinda cool that one of the shiny finding mechanics and the high iv finding mechanic are somewhat tied together... so chances are if you chain up to find a shiny, it's got a good shot of also being a strong friend

I like being able to get a guaranteed decent start on breeding without having a million dittos.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
This is the best gen for getting shinies and breeding by far. Only thing is, it might be a pain to level up to 100. Anyone find a better way of doing that than just E4 grinding?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I haven't tried yet. You can get a Lucky Egg from Professor Kukui once you've filled out a decent amount of the Pokédex though.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

I haven't tried yet. You can get a Lucky Egg from Professor Kukui once you've filled out a decent amount of the Pokédex though.

That definitely helps, but like in XY you had the restaurants that had level 80+ trainers, and ORAS had the abusable secret bases where you fought teams of lvl 100 Blisseys that killed themselves, and both had the XP O-power

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

HalfHazard posted:

The best Pokemon in the world? It's Castform, no doubt about it. Imma breed up a bunch so add me if you want one. 3566-2886-2389

Hook me up with a female?
FC is 1075-0796-7247, 3DS name: Chiller, pkmn name: John

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Is anyone else a doubles battle bro like me? I could also do a lil writeup of the strats if anyones interested

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'd be interested. I'm working on my oricorio team now, I really want to make dancer work

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm not very good at Pokemon so I just use the guys I like and try not have lovely natures or unbalanced types.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

I'd be interested. I'm working on my oricorio team now, I really want to make dancer work

Alright (Slick Rick voice) Heeeeeere we go

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Ristolaz posted:

Is anyone else a doubles battle bro like me? I could also do a lil writeup of the strats if anyones interested

Yeah, and i think doubles should be the format of the monotype tournament

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
if there's a serious monotype thing happening i would do Ghost, but yeah is it in the game or on showdown

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm not very good at Pokemon so I just use the guys I like and try not have lovely natures or unbalanced types.

it took me a week of planning but my team is going to be marowak, muk, snorlax, lilligant, glaceon, and mimikyu

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mimikyu is insanely good and carried me through E4.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i beat one boss only by using sleep powder and leech seed and giga drain and crossing my fingers and yelling "im a noob" hoping i wouldnt take too much damage while the other guy happened to be awake

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

so far twice ive accidentally rejected learning a new move i actually wanted

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

I started playing doubles online and in the postgame last gen just because you could use 4 pokemon instead of 3 but turns out its fun. You can do fine by just using whatever pokemon but heres how you go ham:

Moves
+ Protect: Every pokemon should have this unless they have a very good reason not to (choice item, assault vest). Unlike singles where it just basically stalls a turn, you can gain a massive advantage by preventing damage to one pokemon while the other attacks. Cleverly using and predicting Protect is huge.

+ Fake Out: Super good for similar reasons. Prevents one enemy from acting while you are free. Can stop an enemy fast sweeper so your slow pokemon can take it out, etc. Priority +3 so it's faster than everything except Protect.

+ Spread moves: Some moves hit both enemies (Rock Slide, Heat Wave, Dazzling Gleam, Hyper Voice). Others hit your ally as well (Surf, Earthquake, Discharge) so you gotta be careful. In both cases they do 75% damage to each target, but that's 150% total, so theyre good.

+ Wide Guard: Prevents your team from receiving damage from spread moves. Includes allies using EQ/Surf. Priority +1

+ Quick Guard: Prevents your team from being hit by priority moves. I think Fake Out still beats it though.

+Speed Control moves: Tailwind, Trick Room, Icy Wind.

- Entry Hazards: Matches are fewer turns and there's less switching, so entry hazards are less useful.

Abilities
+ Intimidate: Hits both enemies and they are less likely to switch out

+ Defiant/Competitive: Counters intimidate

+ Telepathy: Blocks damage from allies

+ Prankster: Lets you do a whole bunch of stupid annoying poo poo

Pokemon
- Glass cannon/setup sweepers: You're way more likely to take hits, and it's more difficult to switch in safely. Can still work and be rewarding, but it's trickier.

-Pure stallers: You're gonna have two pokemon attacking you, it's harder to soak it all. For example you can have substitute broken and get hit on the same turn.

+ Bulky attackers (e.g. Gyarados), strong spread move attackers (e.g. Garchomp): See above

+ Support pokemon: Fake out users, Wide Guard users, status move users, speed control move users

+ Weather setters/abusers: Shorter battles means the weather effects last relatively longer, and you can lead with a weather setter and sweeper at the same time.

Ok thats all for now

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also the existence of alien Pokemon from another worlds is completely blowing my mind right now.

This has been part of Pokémon forever... Clefairy and Clefable are from space

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

This has been part of Pokémon forever... Clefairy and Clefable are from space

Yeah but in this game they open a wormhole to a parallel dimension and invade Pokemon world

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i like that pokemon backstories have no rules and theres no concern if the pokedex descriptions can be matched to anything you see in game

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Lol I just looked it up and if you leave a pokemon in the hot springs too long they get angry at you

from my experience using the hot springs, this doesn't happen if you check on your pokemon (open the pelago hot springs screen) at least once every 24 hours. you don't have to take them out and put them back in or whatever.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

from my experience using the hot springs, this doesn't happen if you check on your pokemon (open the pelago hot springs screen) at least once every 24 hours. you don't have to take them out and put them back in or whatever.

pruney pokemon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Oh no I left a cutiefly in there 5 days ago

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

elf help book posted:

i like that pokemon backstories have no rules and theres no concern if the pokedex descriptions can be matched to anything you see in game

Pokedex: Contact with Muk's poison is fatal. Additionally, it is considered the most painful way to die.

Me: Aguguguguuu *scratches its chin*

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

In Training posted:

Oh no I left a cutiefly in there 5 days ago

congratulations on your new cutie-enemy

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

In Training posted:

Mimikyu is insanely good and carried me through E4.

disguise is extremely good ability

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ristolaz posted:

Pokedex: Contact with Muk's poison is fatal. Additionally, it is considered the most painful way to die.

Lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

The Pokedex is like wikipedia, but there's absolutely no oversight. It's written entirely by 11-year-olds going on their first Pokemon adventures.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ristolaz posted:

This is the power of friendship

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

Lmfao

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Ristolaz posted:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ristolaz posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

disguise is extremely good ability

Especially because it resets if mimikyu faints and you revive him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Minior please stop I'm trying to save you...stay in the ball don't self destruct

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Ristolaz posted:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/random_pokemon_red_glitch_used_to_beat_another_game_boy_title_with_a_credits_warp

Pokemon Red is so powerfully glitchy that it can break other games that touch the GB after it's been in it

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

In Training posted:

Minior please stop I'm trying to save you...stay in the ball don't self destruct

I wanna try the minior/oranguru gimmick. Equip both with white herb, minior uses shell smash, consumes white herb, oranguru passes his over, uses instruct, minior uses shell smash again. +4 attack, spAttack, speed after 1 turn.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

Hook me up with a female?
FC is 1075-0796-7247, 3DS name: Chiller, pkmn name: John

Thanks for helping with those trade evos. Enjoy your new Castform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Thanks, it's gonna have Gastly's babies