Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Angel City trailer is here and, predictably, the new Prime Executions make the regular ones look pathetic and weak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_6hViuy3kc

Gonna rock that Prime Scorch forever.

Love that grapple on the old girl, btw. Looks fun.

My only worry is that I won't be able to change the colors on the Prime titans. Want to rock my Excalibur Chrome on that Scorch, would be beastly.

God drat now that's a trailer!!! Also looks like a one hit pistol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They posted a blog too with an overview of all the cosmetic items going for sale in the cash shop.

https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/welcome-to-angel-city/

It's nose art, camo, and callsigns. Parcelled out into packs. Very standard stuff, hoping the prices are reasonable.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Well if you never drop your Titan you basically get one boost for the entire match and that's hurting you in other ways.

Since I don't know what modes your playing on, I would say the most viable modes are Amped Hardpoint (he can guard an area or help you attack, and meter-feeding is not as bad in that mode), CTF, and - to a lesser degree - Bounty Hunt on some maps, like Exoplanet or Crash Site.

I absolutely would not ever play Attrition, since Titans and Titan advantage play such a huge part of it.

I only ever play Attrition, and I'm mostly asking because of those same factors you mentioned. I drop Legion and set it into guard mode and sometimes it works great and gets multiple titan kills and lasts a long time, sometimes it gets instantly annihilated, and I have no idea why.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Skyscraper posted:

I only ever play Attrition, and I'm mostly asking because of those same factors you mentioned. I drop Legion and set it into guard mode and sometimes it works great and gets multiple titan kills and lasts a long time, sometimes it gets instantly annihilated, and I have no idea why.

Because Auto-Titans can't effectively fight more than one opponent at a time. They don't position correctly, they don't retreat, they just die.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

i guess theyre still/reoffering the excalbiur chrome pack with the prime titans so excal chrome will probably work on them.

which is a good thing because excal chrome is a nice camo and its a good thing its such a good camo because splinter ocean and quantum ocean are absolute loving garbage and i honestly wish i could pay to remove them from my menus.

gently caress it lemme pay to remove anything hex and quantum so i get better rolls from advocate gifts

i guess the cosmetics will finally also let us get more solid colours like prime scorch and ion and less like the scale series which is spotty =/

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Because Auto-Titans can't effectively fight more than one opponent at a time. They don't position correctly, they don't retreat, they just die.

OK, so what's the strategy I should be using (that isn't just piloting the titan)?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Skyscraper posted:

OK, so what's the strategy I should be using (that isn't just piloting the titan)?

In Attrition? Nothing. You're hosed.

The game is Titanfall, Titans are a major part, sorry you don't like that and only want to play the mode where Titans are really important.

I would suggest playing, you know, Pilot vs Pilot, where there are literally no Titans.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

with legion probably just putting it on a defended / owned side of the map at the end of a very long corridor so it can snipe away at anyone who gets close or tries to come down the 'lane'

it'll still get picked off by people with the charge rifle or players in their own titans like ion northstar and tone that can poke and cover, but it'll take care of scorches and legions that try to close the gap

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

zolthorg posted:

has anyone really figured out if V gfycat of hacking a Spectre in attrition is a huge waste of time or not? It feels like a huge waste of time, and incredibly buggy to activate (It seems like you need to sneak up on them or something like that)
https://gfycat.com/SpiffyTalkativeCattle

The main advantage of hacking spectres is that, if the whole squad of spectres is intact, it hacks all 4 of them at once, which may/may not be a net time saving depending on weapon loadout, etc. Theoretically the specters then run around for you killing grunts etc but this is of questionable value in my experience.

Realistically, do what feels natural. Don't go out of your way to hack them.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

In Attrition? Nothing. You're hosed.

The game is Titanfall, Titans are a major part, sorry you don't like that and only want to play the mode where Titans are really important.

I would suggest playing, you know, Pilot vs Pilot, where there are literally no Titans.

Oh, it's Titanfall? drat, knew I got the wrong game.

I could play Pilot vs Pilot (I've seen it on the menus, yes) but I enjoy pilot vs titan combat way more than pilot vs pilot.

Do you have any strategies I can use? If not, does anyone else?

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

quote:

Tone: Burst Loader
Aiming allows the 40mm to store up to 3 shots to burst fire

I was ok with all the new Titan Kits until I saw this. This is going to make the tone even more annoying.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Conot posted:

The main advantage of hacking spectres is that, if the whole squad of spectres is intact, it hacks all 4 of them at once, which may/may not be a net time saving depending on weapon loadout, etc. Theoretically the specters then run around for you killing grunts etc but this is of questionable value in my experience.

Realistically, do what feels natural. Don't go out of your way to hack them.

oh, i've been isolating them so i could get the prompt working but thats actually quite useful

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

I could play Pilot vs Pilot (I've seen it on the menus, yes) but I enjoy pilot vs titan combat way more than pilot vs pilot.

Assault chip Ronin Ion and Scorch are a lot more competent then the others

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

zolthorg posted:

oh, i've been isolating them so i could get the prompt working but thats actually quite useful

Protip: Specters (and all other AI controlled units) won't shoot at you while you're cloaked, so cloak is an easy way to get all 4 specters without issue. Even without cloak, the specters don't *tend* to kill someone whos hacking one of them, but its more of a gamble based off health, other pilots, etc.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Skyscraper posted:

I kinda do wish there was a perk for not having a titan, maybe quicker boost generation?

its a lot of fun trying to take down the Titans on foot sometimes

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Re: burst loader, we're apparently getting patch notes today, so we should get a hint of whether they realized making a Titan that is basically the representation of TF1's meta was not the best idea (and thus burst loader won't be as painful as imagined) or if we should prepare for Tonegeddeon tomorrow.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Moola posted:

I kinda do wish there was a perk for not having a titan, maybe quicker boost generation?

There is no way to balance a boost that has to offset a combined airstrike / shield / cover bubble that can be abused / overwatch / area denial / pilot sentry killer / titan-core-healthbar-nuke / all of the extra effects you can get like extra dashes or flying or super smart ai buddy or nuke eject bomb for smal maps

Exposure posted:

Re: burst loader, we're apparently getting patch notes today, so we should get a hint of whether they realized making a Titan that is basically the representation of TF1's meta was not the best idea (and thus burst loader won't be as painful as imagined) or if we should prepare for Tonegeddeon tomorrow.

I had the peak attrition game last night on the gigantic open fields map where a single tone was able to spot and kill me with its hitscan gun like seven times in a row from all the different wide open spaces i spawned in. maybe they can nerf tone in this patch finally. I aint even mad about the salvo core anymore because gently caress that primary fire, i was able to get behind gigantic pieces of cover several times but s/he didnt gaf

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 29, 2016

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Moola posted:

Well, that would kinda go against the whole point of this game wouldn't it? It would feel like a well executed COD modern warfare David vs Goliath game mode.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

zolthorg posted:

There is no way to balance a boost that has to offset a combined airstrike / shield / cover bubble that can be abused / overwatch / area denial / pilot sentry killer / titan-core-healthbar-nuke / all of the extra effects you can get like extra dashes or flying or super smart ai buddy or nuke eject bomb for smal maps

what if they just called it Hard Mode?

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Ran into a goon stack last night on the Oregon server a couple of times, definitely hurts being on the other side of those. Can't remember the one goon who was shotgunning while cloaked but he had was a really good Ronin pilot. I know Keyframe was one of the goons, will have to join up sometime to roll fools. Good games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like that pilot v pilot is a low pop side mode in this game and it's still a better COD than the last 2 COD games

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Wang posted:

Ran into a goon stack last night on the Oregon server a couple of times, definitely hurts being on the other side of those. Can't remember the one goon who was shotgunning while cloaked but he had was a really good Ronin pilot. I know Keyframe was one of the goons, will have to join up sometime to roll fools. Good games

Hi DrWang, we were waiting for you to join the discord. We had space for you after that whinner game.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

Wang posted:

Sounds like Codeacious

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Skyscraper posted:

Well you technically don't need to call in your titan. Otherwise use enhanced auto titan on either ion, tone, or scorch (the only ones that are decent at it) and wait to drop it until your team has titans on the field. Then drop your titan and set it to guard mode not follow (though toggling this may be beneficial depending on positioning/situation/etc).

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

zolthorg posted:

with legion probably just putting it on a defended / owned side of the map at the end of a very long corridor so it can snipe away at anyone who gets close or tries to come down the 'lane'

it'll still get picked off by people with the charge rifle or players in their own titans like ion northstar and tone that can poke and cover, but it'll take care of scorches and legions that try to close the gap

zolthorg posted:

Assault chip Ronin Ion and Scorch are a lot more competent then the others
Cool, thanks! I've been using Legion because I like playing as it the most, but that ends up being not a lot of time. I'll switch over to a better auto-titan titan.

Biaga posted:

Well, that would kinda go against the whole point of this game wouldn't it? It would feel like a well executed COD modern warfare David vs Goliath game mode.
That sounds like exactly what I'm after!

Knifegrab posted:

Well you technically don't need to call in your titan. Otherwise use enhanced auto titan on either ion, tone, or scorch (the only ones that are decent at it) and wait to drop it until your team has titans on the field. Then drop your titan and set it to guard mode not follow (though toggling this may be beneficial depending on positioning/situation/etc).
Yeah, I often end up saving my drops until I think I can get a dropkill, which can be a while. I got to use guard mode or my titan ends up in trouble for sure, but that ends up being vulnerable to dropkills sometimes too.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 29, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They mentioned that they wanted to do weird game type remixes, so here's an idea: a 4v1 pilots vs a souped Titan

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Cool, thanks! I've been using Legion because I like playing as it the most, but that ends up being not a lot of time. I'll switch over to a better auto-titan titan.

That sounds like exactly what I'm after!

Yeah, I often end up saving my drops until I think I can get a dropkill, which can be a while. I got to use guard mode or my titan ends up in trouble for sure, but that ends up being vulnerable to dropkills sometimes too.

saving for a drop kill is only remotely a good idea on bounty hunt on the bounty titan rounds if you're winning already. You need warpfall and ESP to figure out where its going to fall to hit most people and warp fall will just feel meter back to everyone on the enemy team

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

In Training posted:

They mentioned that they wanted to do weird game type remixes, so here's an idea: a 4v1 pilots vs a souped Titan

I feel like this would vary wildly based on what Titan is used and if it's AI or human piloted.

I got this game for Black Friday on xbone and it's legitimately the best shooter experience I've played in loving years. Sometimes there's bullshit and the difficulty I have mastering the Mastiff makes me super sad, but Volt hip fire rushing guys still dumps on people even with controller.

I've mostly been using Legion. Tone feels awful to me and I'm terrible with it, I suspect it's a controller/competency issue. I might one day be mediocre at Ronin. :negative:

Is phase shift not as good as I wish it was or do I just suck? It has that dumb activation delay and I never use it soon enough apparently. Stim has been my go to because it feels like actually works.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

zolthorg posted:

I had the peak attrition game last night on the gigantic open fields map where a single tone was able to spot and kill me with its hitscan gun like seven times in a row from all the different wide open spaces i spawned in.
Tone does not have a hitscan gun.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

koren posted:

Tone does not have a hitscan gun.

Wrong term for it, the area of effect that just fucks you up behind cover when you're trying to peak and poke at it, or make a dash for a different piece of cover

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Mailer posted:

Go back in time and spend a decade playing console shooters. :v:

Pick an R201, use Cloak and join in on multiplayer. There's some people who are insanely good with a controller but for the most part it's just adjusting your game to the console life. The real game has autoaim, which I think the tutorial lacks. Failing that, hide until titans come out and then shoot/rodeo them until you get your titan and all the cod practice doesn't matter.

I can't wait until fps games reliably have PC/Console cross play, and everyone suddenly become outright platform discriminators. As opposed to now when it's all just snide comments on internet forums.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Angel City looks fun.

What should i buy with the credits I've saved since everything is eventually unlockable? There's nothing that really has me jonesing for it except the expensive smart pistol boost because I hella enjoyed that escape level you get to use it in.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

zolthorg posted:

saving for a drop kill is only remotely a good idea on bounty hunt on the bounty titan rounds if you're winning already. You need warpfall and ESP to figure out where its going to fall to hit most people and warp fall will just feel meter back to everyone on the enemy team

Ah, ok, got it. I have a good record with that, but not perfect.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Aquasnake posted:

I can't wait until fps games reliably have PC/Console cross play, and everyone suddenly become outright platform discriminators. As opposed to now when it's all just snide comments on internet forums.

This will never happen because of the difficulties in syncing up all of the console certs. The nightmare of getting Sony and Microsoft to agree to get the certs done by a certain date - and hoping that neither one rejects them - and then lining that up with a PC patch, means that it's not feasible.

The best you can hope for is either Sony- or Microsoft-published game (who control the certs on their consoles) supporting cross-PC play for their title. Microsoft did this for one title - Shadowrun - it was such a disaster for the console players that they never did it again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Aquasnake posted:

They'll never do that because PC players would always win. Cross play stuff only works if the controls are platform agnostic to gameplay, like Street Fighter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This will never happen because of the difficulties in syncing up all of the console certs. The nightmare of getting Sony and Microsoft to agree to get the certs done by a certain date - and hoping that neither one rejects them - and then lining that up with a PC patch, means that it's not feasible.

The best you can hope for is either Sony- or Microsoft-published game (who control the certs on their consoles) supporting cross-PC play for their console game.

Microsoft did this for one title - Shadowrun - it was such a disaster for the console players that they never did it again.

They're also doing it for GOW4 because nobody bought it on PC and they need to combine the player bases for more population

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

In Training posted:

They're also doing it for GOW4 because nobody bought it on PC and they need to combine the player bases for more population

I think it's for the co-op Horde mode only, I think they understand what would happen if they opened up a competitive game mode with M&KB vs controllers.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Taiso posted:

Sounds like Codeacious

Yup that is the one, I'll make sure the join Discord next time, I was playing with another goon and didn't want to ditch him and assumed y'all were full party. I'll make sure to hop in discord next time and join.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The best you can hope for is either Sony- or Microsoft-published game (who control the certs on their consoles) supporting cross-PC play for their title. Microsoft did this for one title - Shadowrun - it was such a disaster for the console players that they never did it again.

Oddly, Activision put in the same kind of aim assist into the PC release of CODBLOPS 3, but only for controller users. This caused about as much wailing and gnashing of teeth as you'd expect, but I don't think they ever changed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wazzit posted:

I think it's for the co-op Horde mode only, I think they understand what would happen if they opened up a competitive game mode with M&KB vs controllers.

They launched with the Horde mode and then had to test out the competitive side, I think they want to add it in the future. The only reason I know is a friend of mine is super into Gears and had to abandon the online in like a week because it was hard to find games.