Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

Send pictures to your local congressional rep. Congress getting pissed is what prompted the AF to start cleaning up Al Udeid a few months ago, after 15 years of airmen getting sick.

Just remember that you will be the one doing the scrubbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

no bones about it posted:

Just remember that you will be the one doing the scrubbing.

Just remember someone who know will be doing the scrubbing, if you are good at skating.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Got a call from my recruiter, I got accepted for NFO!

Now I just have hurry up and wait for another couple months to find out when they want me to leave for training then wait for that!

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Now I just have hurry up and wait for another couple months to find out when they want me to leave for training then wait for that!

Congratulations!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jimmy4400nav posted:

This is dead serious advice, even though it sounds throwaway:

Keep a copy of literally everything that impacts your life or career. Download your pay stubs. Keep a copy of any paperwork you have to submit for anything...awards, decorations, travel vouchers, disciplinary or congratulatory poo poo, hand receipts for equipment, everything. 99% of the time it won't matter, but there will come a day when some slob drops your *very important thing* behind the desk and can't be bothered to retrieve it. It will happen. Guaranteed. Or you'll find yourself on the hook for some clerk's fuckup after you turn in your gas mask but they try to charge you for losing it. Or, when you identify a payroll error 8 years later and file all kinds of PII to get back-paid to the tune of $20k and after three months you call for an update and the answer is "Oh uh...we lost the paperwork. Can you send us everything again?" Twice.

Keep a copy of everything.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Null Integer posted:

Congratulations!

Thank you!

Godholio posted:

This is dead serious advice, even though it sounds throwaway:

Keep a copy of literally everything that impacts your life or career. Download your pay stubs. Keep a copy of any paperwork you have to submit for anything...awards, decorations, travel vouchers, disciplinary or congratulatory poo poo, hand receipts for equipment, everything. 99% of the time it won't matter, but there will come a day when some slob drops your *very important thing* behind the desk and can't be bothered to retrieve it. It will happen. Guaranteed. Or you'll find yourself on the hook for some clerk's fuckup after you turn in your gas mask but they try to charge you for losing it. Or, when you identify a payroll error 8 years later and file all kinds of PII to get back-paid to the tune of $20k and after three months you call for an update and the answer is "Oh uh...we lost the paperwork. Can you send us everything again?" Twice.

That's really good advice, it's something I fully intend to do. I've heard enough horror stories from a couple of my buddies who were in the Army about what clerical gently caress ups can do to you. I'll make sure to have a nice rolodex of info.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Awesome, congrats! And good luck, I hope you like it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What's NFO?
-A dumb enlisted reservist

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

What's NFO?

Someone who wants to be a pilot but wears glasses.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

What's NFO?

Naval loving Orifice

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MancXVI posted:

Naval loving Orifice

Aspiring to be a Flesh Light seems weird but follow you dreams I always say.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Didn't you quit your job to be a reservist IT....?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Didn't you quit your job to be a reservist IT....?

Technically I didn't quit.

Yet.

I'm actually much happier than I was though I've been in school for 12 months out of the last 24. Back to reality and looking for a new job soon. Also gonna volunteer for JCC C school but if that doesn't happen I'll look for a mob.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
NFO's are basically overpaid OS's with flight status.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
A close friend of myself and Mr. Nice! is assigned to OCS. See if you can't figure out who it is, your clue is they are a white male officer!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

They said I could be anything, so I followed my dreams!

maffew buildings posted:

A close friend of myself and Mr. Nice! is assigned to OCS. See if you can't figure out who it is, your clue is they are a white male officer!

That's pretty rare in Rhode Island from what I hear.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Awesome, congrats! And good luck, I hope you like it.

Thanks Wingnut! And thank you again for answering all my questions and going over my letter a few months back, it really helped me out a ton, much appreciated! :)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I for one cannot wait to watch your slow descent into gibbering insanity.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 29, 2016

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

It's funny, you can follow some peoples entire enlistments/commissions on SA.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Null Integer posted:

It's funny, you can follow some peoples entire enlistments/commissions on SA.

Someone make sure to remember the threadid and page number so in a couple years when he is super bitter and hates everything and everyone, we can quote his :shobon: posts about getting into NFO back at him.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Godholio posted:

I'm concerned what you, new, bright eyed military person, read is keep copies of many things that you receive.

What Mr. Godholio stated, and he's being deadly serious about this, is keep copies of literally everything. I encourage you to develop an organization structure to manage this data (scanning and Google Drive would be a good idea) now, before you have to.

Everything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

Oh yeah he is stashed up there before department head school. I need to ask him if he's having fun doing uniform inspections.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh yeah he is stashed up there before department head school. I need to ask him if he's having fun doing uniform inspections.

Inspect my gig line please.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm concerned what you, new, bright eyed military person, read is keep copies of many things that you receive.

What Mr. Godholio stated, and he's being deadly serious about this, is keep copies of literally everything. I encourage you to develop an organization structure to manage this data (scanning and Google Drive would be a good idea) now, before you have to.

Everything.

This is correct.

That $20,000 example I gave? Yeah, that one happened to me. They lost mine and my son's SSN, court documents, a birth certificate (copy), etc. Twice. Fortunately I had a sleeve in my 4" 3-ring binder dedicated solely to that particular issue with Finance so I could resubmit right away. One thing I didn't keep was the citations I wrote and supporting documentation for my Aerial Achievement Medal and an AFCM for my separation medal. Not sure how I didn't keep a copy, but guess what got lost. Yeah gently caress rewriting those just to get two more medals that don't matter.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Everything.

Godholio posted:

This is correct.

That $20,000 example I gave? Yeah, that one happened to me. They lost mine and my son's SSN, court documents, a birth certificate (copy), etc. Twice. Fortunately I had a sleeve in my 4" 3-ring binder dedicated solely to that particular issue with Finance so I could resubmit right away. One thing I didn't keep was the citations I wrote and supporting documentation for my Aerial Achievement Medal and an AFCM for my separation medal. Not sure how I didn't keep a copy, but guess what got lost. Yeah gently caress rewriting those just to get two more medals that don't matter.

:stare:

drat, I've hear stories, but...wow. Okay, I'll make sure to keep a google doc/sheet/drive and a store of hard copies. So keep an ordered record of receipts, awards, moves, commendations, disciplinary issues, equipment, orders, payroll and a lot of other things I probably haven't listed. My current job has me do a lot of record keeping and backtracking so I have some practice there. Any other self-record-keeping advice? I'd like to snag as much info as I can beforehand so I don't make rookie mistakes and gently caress myself later on.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Wrong kind of noble. He gets to fly [in] planes for a living.

However may find himself speaking in dudebro

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Unless he ends up a P3 NFO then :lol:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DinosaurWarfare posted:

However may find himself speaking in dudebro

One of my favorite things about NFOs is just how much they've made Top Gun a part of there every day life, whether they've done it willingly or not.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Mr. Nice! posted:

Unless he ends up a P3 NFO then :lol:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed I end up on a P-8!

Boon posted:

One of my favorite things about NFOs is just how much they've made Top Gun a part of there every day life, whether they've done it willingly or not.

Looks up at Top Gun poster in room

Oh goddammit....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

drat, I've hear stories, but...wow. Okay, I'll make sure to keep a google doc/sheet/drive and a store of hard copies. So keep an ordered record of receipts, awards, moves, commendations, disciplinary issues, equipment, orders, payroll and a lot of other things I probably haven't listed. My current job has me do a lot of record keeping and backtracking so I have some practice there. Any other self-record-keeping advice? I'd like to snag as much info as I can beforehand so I don't make rookie mistakes and gently caress myself later on.

Anything that requires a signature (digital or wet), anything that comes from a personnelist, finance person, flag officer or other g-series command billet, etc. You've got the right idea, I think. If it's questionable, keep it. You're not losing anything by doing so.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed I end up on a P-8!

Looks up at Top Gun poster in room

:lol: I've got bad news for you...

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Jimmy4400nav posted:

If an argument could be developed between you, and another service member, DFAS, VA, or the DoD, and you have the capability to record that information or receipt in a permanent record? It would be in your interest to do so.

There isn't a person in this forum that hasn't had some mannery of fuckery in paperwork from another person dropping the ball in the DoD. I can offer no better advice than to be the most organized NFO on the face of the earth.

*looks at the donkey in the room*

Do NOT make copies of classified or FOUO information and store this information off station. DO store this information within the confines of your approved IT network.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Boon posted:

Like, they get Goose dies right?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Do NOT make copies of classified or FOUO information and store this information off station. DO store this information within the confines of your approved IT network.

I wish more people would take this advice.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/11/29/commandant-dropping-ratings-would-create-chaos-coast-guard.html?ESRC=orig.sm

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Learn to read the regulations. If it is in black and white it is a go. There are times when someone may try gently caress gently caress games about something and if you can back up this is how it is in the print it'll make getting what you want a lot easier.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

What kind of a sadbrains is so attached to their rate as their identity that...nevermind

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Godholio posted:

Anything that requires a signature (digital or wet), anything that comes from a personnelist, finance person, flag officer or other g-series command billet, etc. You've got the right idea, I think. If it's questionable, keep it. You're not losing anything by doing so.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

If an argument could be developed between you, and another service member, DFAS, VA, or the DoD, and you have the capability to record that information or receipt in a permanent record? It would be in your interest to do so.

There isn't a person in this forum that hasn't had some mannery of fuckery in paperwork from another person dropping the ball in the DoD. I can offer no better advice than to be the most organized NFO on the face of the earth.

*looks at the donkey in the room*

So copy everything except the stuff that could land me in jail if I copy it! Gotcha!

Null Integer posted:

I wish more people would take this advice.

I know there are leaks, but is that actually really common?

maffew buildings posted:

Learn to read the regulations. If it is in black and white it is a go. There are times when someone may try gently caress gently caress games about something and if you can back up this is how it is in the print it'll make getting what you want a lot easier.

Any particular regs that come up a lot or just know my poo poo inside and out?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Jimmy4400nav posted:

People do dumb poo poo with classified info all the time. I was a dirty radar guy and I personally witnessed a secret pub just up and disappearing for 3 months, only to be found in non secure space.
Classified briefs being sent off ship over NIPR, the EKMS vault was even used as a hook up spot on my last cruise*.

*Pneumonic if you don't know about this text me.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So copy everything except the stuff that could land me in jail if I copy it! Gotcha!

Any particular regs that come up a lot or just know my poo poo inside and out?

I feel like telling you that once I had my chief literally shred my entire transfer package for a hot fill billet in Japan because he didn't want to lose me before ORSE. He told me he'd immediately approved it and would handle routing it for me. By the time I figured it out, the billet was closed. He laughed it off as no big deal.

Trust no one. Copy everything.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

If it will pertain to you and your career (anything from OCONUS leave, programs, etc) read it and get a clear understanding. Ask people you trust to clarify if need be.

The laziness or selfishness of others is an unfortunate and real obstacle to your career, if you're trying to do something and can back up this is where it says I can do this and knowing appropriate follow up procedures is useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

What kind of a sadbrains is so attached to their rate as their identity that...nevermind

Hey!

• Locked thread