Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

zegermans posted:

Yeah, his presidency will consist entirely of setting the day's policy based off of what segment on Fox and Friends ground his gears the most.

I want Trump to fight for Pluto. Pluto is a planet and Trump must use all the power available to the united states to get it categorized again has a planet.

On that point it will be real, we will be in the Trump timeline and there will be not way to go back to a normal timelines where normal things happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Tei posted:

I want Trump to fight for Pluto. Pluto is a planet and Trump must use all the power available to the united states to get it categorized again has a planet.

I personally will start a coup if this happens. :argh:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

:negative:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy and incoming HHS Secretary Price said today that the plan is still to "repeal and replace" Obamacare, but that repeal and replace don't have to happen at the same time.

Congress is going to send an Obamacare repeal bill to Trump in the first 100 days. It will repeal Obamacare, delayed until the end of 2018, and keep the ability for people to stay on their parents' plan up to age 26 and a modified pre-existing coverage that will repeal the ban on pre-existing condition charges and declines EXCEPT for a 6 month period after you are leaving an employer-sponsored plan.

The Medicaid expansions, rule that stipulates that at least 85% of premiums must be spent reimbursing customers, and exchanges will stay throughout 2017 and most of 2018, but in December of 2018 there just won't be an open-enrollment period and states will have those two years to figure out if they want to reduce their Medicaid rolls or find a way to pay for 100% of the expansion.

The "replace" plan isn't finalized yet, but will probably consist of the 26-year olds on parents' plans, the new pre-existing condition rule, block granting Medicaid, repealing contraceptive coverage requirements and making the pill available over the counter, and a $5,500 non-refundable tax credit for out of pocket health care expenses and premiums.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hubris.txt

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Uh wait a minute don't you think we should be uselessly blaming the racist conservative electorate for this loss?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Covok posted:

No, he just was watching a fox news show on flag burning.

Didn't know about that. I retract my previous statement, he's evil Forest Gump.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

"It's the economy, stupid"

"All politics is local"

It's too bad the Clinton campaign didn't have someone around to remind them of those immutable facts. . .

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

hubris.txt

Not really, more fatally misreading the media environment and the electorate in a few states. Hubris is more the "try to be cool and not campaign in the Rust Belt so Trump doesn't counter campaign"

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Why should these polls be trusted if so many others were wrong as well?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Prior to the election, I kept saying that Hillary's pathological need to be loved is what made her fundamentally queer in a Nixonian sense. She just wants to be loved. She (wrongly and for reasons I don't fully understand) thought she was loved in some traditionally dem blue collar states and she wanted everybody to love her by running up the numbers in traditionally red states.

It's the unpopular kid running for student council president as national political theater.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A long list of times Trump showed himself to not be a master of manipulation and high-dimension chess. He's not a schemer, he's an impulsive reacter and literal tool and handlers on both sides are gradually learning how to use him.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

fits my needs posted:

Why should these polls be trusted if so many others were wrong as well?

Probably because they're post-election and therefore working backwards from observed results. Doesn't mean they're perfect or anything, of course.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The actual report focuses more on the last two weeks of the campaign and suggests that Clinton would have won had she not been forced to shift gears due to Comey.

quote:

It does not explain, however, why Hillary Clinton failed to win the presidency on November 8th. The Comey letter re-opened the vote decision for some people and critically impacted the race, but the Clinton campaign moved from running on change to running on continuity. She fully articulated an economic change message throughout the three debates and offered her plans for change, but after the Comey F.B.I. letter, the campaign no longer spoke of change, the economy and her bold plans for the future.

In the final weeks, the Clinton campaign conceded the economy and change to Trump, while seeking to make him personally unacceptable. Frustratingly, it closed the campaign appealing for unity, promising to promote opportunity and to “build on the progress” of the Obama presidency. That is why key groups of voters moved to Trump in the Rust Belt and why the turnout of many base groups was so disappointing in the end.

It should also be noted that the Roosevelt Institute is a progressive think tank and their motives may not exactly be pure. Same goes with the source of that quote In These Times.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 29, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

Not really, more fatally misreading the media environment and the electorate in a few states. Hubris is more the "try to be cool and not campaign in the Rust Belt so Trump doesn't counter campaign"

Tldr version anything that disproves my thirdway bullshit is wrong. Also look another third wayer attacking a institute named for the greatest democrat ever.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Congress is going to send an Obamacare repeal bill to Trump in the first 100 days. It will repeal Obamacare, delayed until the end of 2018, and keep the ability for people to stay on their parents' plan up to age 26 and a modified pre-existing coverage that will repeal the ban on pre-existing condition charges and declines EXCEPT for a 6 month period after you are leaving an employer-sponsored plan.

What does the exception here mean exactly? They're repealing the ban on declines for pre-existing conditions, but you can get around it if you jump to new insurance within six months of leaving your previous plan? That can't be right.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

QuoProQuid posted:

The actual report focuses more on the last two weeks of the campaign and suggests that Clinton would have won had she not been forced to shift gears due to Comey.

I see no reason why the letter "forced" her to shift gears, personally.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Shbobdb posted:

Prior to the election, I kept saying that Hillary's pathological need to be loved is what made her fundamentally queer in a Nixonian sense. She just wants to be loved. She (wrongly and for reasons I don't fully understand) thought she was loved in some traditionally dem blue collar states and she wanted everybody to love her by running up the numbers in traditionally red states.

It's the unpopular kid running for student council president as national political theater.

Supporters thought she was a combination of Bill and Barack when she was really Gore and Kerry

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy and incoming HHS Secretary Price said today that the plan is still to "repeal and replace" Obamacare, but that repeal and replace don't have to happen at the same time.

The Medicaid expansions, rule that stipulates that at least 85% of premiums must be spent reimbursing customers, and exchanges will stay throughout 2017 and most of 2018, but in December of 2018 there just won't be an open-enrollment period and states will have those two years to figure out if they want to reduce their Medicaid rolls or find a way to pay for 100% of the expansion.

The "replace" plan isn't finalized yet, but will probably consist of the 26-year olds on parents' plans, the new pre-existing condition rule, block granting Medicaid, repealing contraceptive coverage requirements and making the pill available over the counter, and a $5,500 non-refundable tax credit for out of pocket health care expenses and premiums.

Welp, see you all later. I figured this was what was going to happen. This appears to be the gently caress you I was expecting.

This does give me the time to finish my degree and get out of the country.

Should probably look at training for speaking Danish and getting a marketable skill.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

God almighty, this should be shouted from the heavens if any Clinton ever attempts to run for office again. George is the exception.

https://twitter.com/gzornick/status/803642858670419969

A Good Article, because holy gently caress. The Democrats need to pound this poo poo nonstop into everyone's brains from now until November 2018.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

haveblue posted:

A long list of times Trump showed himself to not be a master of manipulation and high-dimension chess. He's not a schemer, he's an impulsive reacter and literal tool and handlers on both sides are gradually learning how to use him.

The thing is that doesn't matter anymore. Trump ran on the most obvious scam platform, daily proves his corruption and ignorance, and hides behind the most obvious racist and economic fears of angry whites, but won big with all of them anyway. Sure, just about everyone else could easily see what he was, but the current white conservatives have been long prepped to be weak to such a demagogue while methods for attempting to debunk the lies and rumors he bases his life on have been severely weakened.

You don't have to be any kind of master manipulator or even a barely competent speaker anymore. All you have to do is give the voters what they want: an entertaining spectacle that gives them full liscence to act on all the worst impulses they have been told to suppress for so long and promises to kill whatever scares them the most with the biggest, most audacious lies they want to hear. Don't give facts, logic, or even decency. Those are hard to think about, it exciting. Just tell they they are better than anyone else and blame their troubles on some easy scapegoat and they will fill in the rest for you.

It takes no effort because his public wants so desperately to be fooled.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 29, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Tldr version anything that disproves my thirdway bullshit is wrong.

What about that was thirdwayism?

There are many failures of the Clinton campaign and we need to remember them all if we want to win. They had bad data, didn't understand the current media environment, misread the electorate in the Rust Belt, never had a good email response and also made stupid hubris filled campaign choices. Plus more fuckups I didn't list.

If we quickly blame it all on hubris we will miss all the other problems too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Could I get a direct source on this?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Coheed and Camembert posted:

God almighty, this should be shouted from the heavens if any Clinton ever attempts to run for office again. George is the exception.

A Good Article, because holy gently caress. The Democrats need to pound this poo poo nonstop into everyone's brains from now until November 2018.

especially this. tom price's district in georgia composes parts of fulton, dekalb, and cobb counties. while his part of fulton is the reddest part (and dekalb) both counties are traditionally super blue, and cobb barely went blue in 2016. if the democrats take a serious run at him they could win it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Haha, so basically one month after the 2018 midterms they're going to kick 20 million people off their insurance.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

boner confessor posted:

especially this. tom price's district in georgia composes parts of fulton, dekalb, and cobb counties. while his part of fulton is the reddest part (and dekalb) both counties are traditionally super blue, and cobb barely went blue in 2016. if the democrats take a serious run at him they could win it

I'm not so sure, personally. His parts of Fulton, Cobb, and Dekalb are the rich, lily-white suburbanite fuckhead parts -- i.e., the parts that the Clinton campaign misguidedly focused on, but will probably plop for R's without thinking about it in a normal race.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HannibalBarca posted:

I'm not so sure, personally. His parts of Fulton, Cobb, and Dekalb are the rich, lily-white suburbanite fuckhead parts -- i.e., the parts that the Clinton campaign misguidedly focused on, but will probably plop for R's without thinking about it in a normal race.

roswell, john's creek, alpharetta, sandy springs sure but then there's chamblee, dunwoody, tucker, doraville...

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

"The FBI says I suck but this guy sucks more!" it's all about projecting your weaknesses on your enemy.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

boner confessor posted:

roswell, john's creek, alpharetta, sandy springs sure but then there's chamblee, dunwoody, tucker, doraville...

The first four are a lot more likely to turn out than the latter four in a special Congressional election, is the thing. The real fight will be to make it so that the legislature is less able to gerrymander around the more diverse parts of Metro Atlanta in 2020.

zegermans posted:

"The FBI says I suck but this guy sucks more!" it's all about projecting your weaknesses on your enemy.

Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but it seems to me like the people who were going to be disgusted by Trump's manifest failings as a human being had already bought into voting Hillary by that point. Hammering it in turned out to be overkill.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Geostomp posted:

The thing is that doesn't matter anymore. Trump ran on the most obvious scam platform, daily proves his corruption and ignorance, and hides behind the most obvious racist and economic fears of angry whites, but won big with all of them anyway. Sure, just about everyone else could easily see what he was, but the current white conservatives have been long prepped to be weak to such a demagogue while methods for attempting to debunk the lies and rumors he bases his life on have been severely weakened.

You don't have to be any kind of master manipulator or even a barely competent speaker anymore. All you have to do is give the voters what they want: an entertaining spectacle that gives them full liscence to act on all the worst impulses they have been told to suppress for so long and promises to kill whatever scares them the most with the biggest, most audacious lies they want to hear. Don't give facts, logic, or even decency. Those are hard to think about, it exciting. Just tell they they are better than anyone else and blame their troubles on some easy scapegoat and they will fill in the rest for you.

It takes no effort because his public wants so desperately to be fooled.

Exactly. My point is there is no grand scheme of deceit and he's not sitting in a back room cackling with pride as his cabal's grand plan comes to fruition. He's sitting in a back room watching Fox and tweeting the first thing that comes into his head.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Of course, you would need to find a well-respected resident that can compete in a district that swings over 20 points towards the Republicans. Then you would need to find donors who are willing to spend millions on a long-shot candidate. Then you would need to build up campaign infrastructure in a state that is usually inhospitable for the Democrats.

I agree that the Democratic Party needs to expand the map, but the actual process of competing in these districts can be daunting. I don't know if it makes sense to waste time and resources on seats like KA-4 when it can be spent on more competitive seats. Kathy Hochul only won her seat because a local millionaire ran under the "Tea Party" ticket, splitting the Republican vote. Her situation is not analogous.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 29, 2016

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Ouch. Bors nails it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hollismason posted:

Could I get a direct source on this?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/kevin-mccarthy-repeal-obamacare-now-replace-later

for McCarthy's comments about repealing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-price-hhs-obamacare_us_583d0444e4b06539a78a3d45

and

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...m=.b5a20db1a698

for the policy analysis about Price's replacement plans.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but it seems to me like the people who were going to be disgusted by Trump's manifest failings as a human being had already bought into voting Hillary by that point. Hammering it in turned out to be overkill.

Actually Trump seemed to gain in the polls every time he went a couple days without picking a Twitter fight, so reminding voters that he's still an evil idiot made sense.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Do people who use twitter realize that like 90% of the population doesn't give a gently caress about tweeters and whatever they say.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HannibalBarca posted:

This is what I mean about the Clinton campaign's failures to understand the new media landscape. If this was a past election, the Clinton campaign's response to the Comey letter would have been more effective. But the way this media environment works now, the narrative was set well before the campaign could react. No one needs to vet things when you can just quote Chaffetz and pretend to be the neutral press.

2016 is in some ways the opposite of 2004. Kerry was in part destroyed by not responding to vile attacks and Clinton was in part destroyed because they couldn't stop responding.

The campaign couldn't stop responding for multiple reasons including a failure to understand the state of the electorate in swing states and also outdated media metrics of success. If you view media success by how many TV news anchors are talking about your press release and not your opponent's, that makes it hard to do anything but what they did. But the nightly news isnt where the narrative is written anymore. The media doesn't control the narrative.

The campaign failed to realize how impotent the media truly is and that's a reckoning for all who seek political change.

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014

boner confessor posted:

Price's district is not going to go blue, at least not yet. Trump won in the GA 6th - that it was barely was due to him in particular. Price won a larger percentage of the vote than Trump did.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Do people who use twitter realize that like 90% of the population doesn't give a gently caress about tweeters and whatever they say.

History is currently proving you wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

BarbarianElephant posted:

History is currently proving you wrong.

I dunno it seems like most of the population didn't care that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton made fools out of themselves all over social media.

Hillary Clinton just thought it would matter.

• Locked thread