Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I haven't been just sitting on my TP, since like lezard_valeth said they cap at 99 and any more will be lost. I just haven't been using them, so that I could get massive stat boosts here.

(That, and I somehow got the impression that the Ultimate Challenge required 50 TP, which was 10 levels worth. Whoops :shobon: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
Hmmm, that latest update seemed to have semi interesting content again. As if you could have cut out the last like five updates worth of the game and nothing would be lost. This game sure likes its padding. It's such a shame. It feels like there could be a good game in here but instead they drowned it in bullshit and backtracking.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

DjinnAndTonic posted:

It feels like there could be a good game in here but instead they drowned it in bullshit and backtracking.

That's probably the best way to summarize Digimon video games as a whole. Almost good, if not for all the tedious.

Except Cyber Sleuth. Cyber Sleuth is just genuinely good.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

DjinnAndTonic posted:

Hmmm, that latest update seemed to have semi interesting content again. As if you could have cut out the last like five updates worth of the game and nothing would be lost. This game sure likes its padding. It's such a shame. It feels like there could be a good game in here but instead they drowned it in bullshit and backtracking.

World 3 stands out because it is genuinely charming for a few hours, has a fun mini game and doesn't take it self super seriously but has the most outlandish leveling curve and back tracking i've ever seen in a game. And still to this day holds that candle.

The underground is not only optional but tedious and I don't recommend it. I went into a tunnel that should have had a black agumon or whoever and it wasn't there, then I never went into another unless the game forced me.
The padding is likely due to it being rushed as hell.

Came out in 2002 summer, Probably had a harsh as hell deadline.

Cyber sleuth is better, and this game isn't unplayable but it's hard to recommend outside of nostalgia vision

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

SectumSempra posted:

Came out in 2002 summer, Probably had a harsh as hell deadline.

Wait, poo poo, it came out 2 years AFTER the PS2 release!?!?

This game never had a chance

:rip:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
For those of you who wanna take Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth a spin, it's on sale on PSN. 18$ for PS4 and 12$ for the Vita version.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

I hope you guys like dungeon gimmicks! Because this next update's gonna suck if you don't.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Update 20: Dungeon Gimmicks

I spent some time training up my Digimon; Monmon and Veemon both have 999 Power, while Renamon has 999 Spirit. Raising those levels took about 25 TP each, and I put the rest towards Speed and Defenses.

Get hyped for the Knightmon rematch!

But before we head towards our actual destination, Kulon Pit, we'll be heading down here.

It's nothing special, just a single path that leads to the chest, but it's still miles better than the circuit boards those things that don't exist.

The things that don't exist? You mean the amazing fast travel shortcut? :D

Side note: while wandering around and making my way to the Legendary Gym, Veemon and Monmon hit level 40, unlocking their natural Mega Digivolutions of Imperialdramon and Cannondramon respectively, while Renamon finally raised WarGrowlmon to Skill Level 99 and unlocked Gallantmon.

Gallantmon's pretty neat. We'll be seeing Cannondramon later, but Imperialdramon will have to wait on account of me trying to raise WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon first.

This is the entrance we skipped last time, remember?

No.

Now, we're actually going in.

Well, this place already looks like a shithole. Lovely :rollseyes:

Is it because there's a fat kid over there? You hater.

Tamer Mitaka: No evil shall defeat me.

Well poo poo, finally someone Giver can't beat.

I'm taking this as a compliment, even if you didn't intend it that way.

Word salad.

Monmon: I'm going to get the metal and make a stronger weapon!

That door above Mitaka leads us here.

MetalEtemon: But you guys have no taste... Come back again when you've got better armors!

I think I prefer MetalEtemon's dialogue in Digimon World 4, where he's basically :whatup: personified. As for this game, he's useless right now, but is crucial to a late-game sidequest that, you guessed it, involves running around back and forth across the different servers.

I never would have guessed.

Also there's this thing off to the side. It just hammers the metal repeatedly. :shrug:

Dude, that machine looks stoned af. Been hitting the Digiweed.

That car looks like something from a kids' TV program.

The Kulon Pit is actually kinda sparse. It doesn't have anything interesting in it, and we've seen all the Digimon already; it's just the same encounters as from Kulon Mine.

Heading down that ladder to the south, we run into an Agumon and an ominous looking door.

Agumon: There's a boss that's much stronger than other bosses!

Uh huh, yeah. Don't care.

Optional dungeon and extra boss? No need to oversell it.

Click for music

Welcome to the Ice Dungeon.

...No Ice? And this is called the Ice Dun- AH, poo poo. We're in for some poo poo.

No shut up

Renamon: Beyond here, it is much harsher! But if you still want to go, I won't stop you.

Book Worm Ruri: It's divided into three floors: Ice, Fire, and Dark.

So, the reason I hate the Ice Dungeon is this:

HOPE YOU LIKE SLIDING FLOORS, MOTHERFUCKER.

We're taking Pokemon's Ice Puzzle...without the camera to accurately see most of the map. gently caress!

Now, it's not even a puzzle, really. The left-most entrance to the slide is clearly a loop back to start, so I figured I'd start on the right and work my way left.

Ah, we can't be attacked while sliding on the ice, but that doesn't mean there aren't enemies here:

In-game model:

Name: Numemon 4* (Sky Blue Colored)
Level: Champion

Drops: None

3 STR, 4 DEF, 2 SPR, 2 WIS, 4 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 3 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 344, BIT: 880

Regular Attack: Ice Element
Technique: None

Note: Can Run Away

Too lazy. You get off easy today.
Name: Vikemon 2* (Red Colored)
Level: Mega

5 STR, 2 DEF, 5 SPR, 2 WIS, 3 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 3 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 1 DARK

EXP: 218, BIT: 430

Regular Attack: Ice Element; Counter (Physical)

Vikemon is still a fucker, with his stupid high Strength and the counter. Numemon is also obnoxious, with the annoying habit of showing up, letting me waste some MP on trying to kill it, and then running away without even the common courtesy of letting me kill it.

Oh and hey, as if the sliding ice wasn't bad enough, we have a TELEPORT MAZE TOO

gently caress this game

No! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Eh, it's manageable if the teleports are in low counts.

So if you guess wrong, you get sent back to start. To access the teleporters, you have to jump down a ledge. So better hope you guess right!

All right, now I hate it.

The correct path is to take the middle path from start, then slide left and jump down - the northern path just leads to a dead end.

From there, take the right portal.

And we've finally made it out.

Ice Witch: Give up and go home!
Kite: You've gotta be kidding. I don't have time for this!
Ice Witch: I'm the Queen of this Ice Dungeon! Mind your manners! I won't forgive you! You'll be punished for that!
Kite: ...?!

I don't even know what the gently caress but BRING IT ON

...Huh?

I'll be showing a video of the fight later in the update, but for now just know that her Digimon don't really hit all that hard, and the main reason I struggled is because I was stupid and had all of my Digimon switch to new Digivolutions without any Techs.

Ice Witch: As the rule states, you may now go on ahead.

Wait, I'm confused. Why did they bother putting people - who are most like employees - in a place that nobody should be going to, and that most normal players won't even be able to access?

Because this game is STUPID.

I mean, someone's gotta pay the salaries. But enough about the stupidity of the game designers, let's talk about the assholery of the game designers.

So, the Fire Dungeon. Pretty straightforward, it's just a grid that we have to find the exit to the next floor. Very MMBN-esque, and I like being reminded of better games.

In-game model:

Name: Numemon 5* (Red Colored)

Kicking Trees: Asuka North - Boot Mountain

Drops: Over Load

3 FIRE, 1 WATER, 3 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 366, BIT: 990

Regular Attack: Fire Element

Hi, there. Aren't you imposing? :allears:
Name: SkullMeramon
Level: Ultimate

5 STR, 4 DEF, 2 SPR, 1 WIS, 3 SPD,
3 FIRE, 1 WATER, 3 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 217, BIT: 430

Regular Attack: No Element
Technique: Flame Breath (Magic-Fire)

Numemon are still a pain in the rear end, and I still don't have any Water Techs. I really need to get around to fixing that, one of these days.

Wait what?

WAIT WHAT?!

I AM CRACKING UP NOW HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

gently caress THIS GAME! So yeah, this floor's gimmick is that there are completely invisible landmines that, if you step on them, will instantly reduce all your Digimon's HP to 1. Also we still have random battles. HAVE FUN.

Hope you have a lot of Healing items/Magic! Wait, invisible?

gently caress!

I'm going to kill you and then throw your corpse onto one of those landmines.

Kite: Bored? I don't have time for this!
Fire Knight: You're not bored? Don't make me laugh! Tamers these days are weak... But you look good! Come on, let's fight!
Kite: ?!
Fire Knight: I'll show you the power of my Digimon! Fireeeeeeeee!!

No, I can't explain this at all.

This dude really likes Meramon, apparently. As with the Ice Witch, video at the end.

Fire Knight: I need to blow off steam... Let's do this again sometime!

Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'm pretty sure there aren't any goodies lying off the beaten path, but hosed if I'm searching for them in that literal minefield.

You pussy.

Oh, great, a teleport destination right off the bat. This is gonna go great.

GAH who turned off the loving lights?

YETI! USE THE FLASH MOVE! GET AN ELECTRIC TYPE!

So here we are. Dark Dungeon's gimmick is that, as the name implies, it's dark. The only time we can see where we're going is when we're standing on one of the orange switches. From there you have to look ahead and figure out where you're going and how to get there without touching one of the blue return gates.

Supposedly there are Digimon here, but none of them attacked me.

(No Toei picture of the guy, unfortunately)
In-game model:
Name: Cyclonemon 2* (Red Colored)

3 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 3 SPD,
3 FIRE, 1 WATER, 3 ICE, 1 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 215, BIT: 430

Regular Attack: Dark Element

Name: Devidramon

2 STR, 3 DEF, 4 SPR, 4 WIS, 3 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 3 ICE, 1 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 214, BIT: 390

Technique: Dark Elemental (Magic-Dark)

Name: Kimeramon

Drops: Devil Chip

3 STR, 5 DEF, 1 SPR, 4 WIS, 3 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 3 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 223, BIT: 420

Technique: Dark Elemental (Magic Dark)

We've already handled Kimeramon before, as well as Cyclonemon. They haven't changed a bit. As for Devidramon, if you have any Digimon that can do Physical-based Fire attacks he's not a problem. Just watch out for the Dark Elemental and you should be fine.

These all get a Thumbs Up from me, except Kimeramon

After a bit of zigzagging with no real destination in mind, I stumbled on this.

There's a chest with a nice payout off to the side.

Now you HAVE to find all the hidden treasure in the Fire Dungeon.

Going back to where we were two images ago and heading North, we find... a reject from Mad Max.

Dark Knight: This is the Dark Dungeon, Asuka Server's strongest! And I'm the strongest boss, Dark Knight!
Kite: I'm the best tamer Kite! Excuse me, you're in my way.

Holy poo poo, Kite's got some balls now.

Yeah, uh...is this supposed to be after or right before the final boss? You know, when characters put on their super serious face?

Wait, this isn't optional. This is mandatory right? Then...?

Dark Knight: ...Huh?! Hey kid! I don't have a program like that! I can't just let the other guy go! If you wanna get through you gotta defeat me! Not that you could...
Kite: ?!

Nothing new. The Vilemon's a recolor, but not threatening at all.

That being said, this is the final floor, so have a compilation video of the fights.

Dark Knight: Now go! You'll make a great tamer!
Kite: Yeah, thanks!

Look, I don't care, I just want the dungeon gimmicks to be over.

You fool! Don't hope that they're over. There'll only be more!

And they are! Praise be!

Veemon: The Gate on the above right is to the Real World, and the gate on the left is to the Ice Dungeon. You need an OK from the Admin Center and the four Leader Badges to go to the Real World!

So the only thing keeping a bunch of randos from going to the Real World is the admins of an MMORPG? gently caress, that's bad, since those people never do their jobs.

Yeah, EMERGENCY Chamber requires the meticulous traversal of a multi-floor labyrinth.

I take the opportunity to save and heal up first before heading up here. Going through the Dungeons drained Monmon's MP pretty heavily, since he's my only heal battery right now until I get around to levelling Imperialdramon.

Chamber Clark: If you want to use this system, please talk to me.

...I think her name is supposed to be Chamber Clerk.

Don't lie to me, Yeti.

Chamber Clark: You would like to use the Chamber System? Please show me the 4 Leader Badges.

Kite's floating doohickey shines for a few seconds.

Chamber Officer: All Green. We have finished Kite's check. Reversing the Matrix System. Where do you wish to be Realized in the Real World?[sic]
Kite: The Military Base Magasta in the Real World! It's on the ocean floor!

I honestly don't know how he knows this. I genuinely don't, but then again I haven't been paying attention to the story beyond 'Oh god please let it stop'.

Yeah I couldn't tell you either. This game doesn't properly frame or explain poo poo.

Chamber Officer: I understand. Military Base Magasta...
Chamber Officer taps at her computer.
Chamber Officer: Confirmed. It is within warp range. However, due to the unstable system, you will exist in the Real World for only 180 seconds.
Kite: Wai-wait a sec. What happens if I run out of time?
Chamber Officer: The Realize will turn off and the Matrix will return you here. The Matrix data will not be broken, so you shouldn't worry. We will start the Matrix System now.

OH JESUS. How much worse can this get?

-The emergency system isn't easy to access for personnel that need it, Strike 1.

-The emergency system isn't tested thoroughly to make sure its stable, Strike 2

-A kid wants to randomly materialize inside a military base...and no-one bats an eye, Strike 3

-No, no, no, this isn't an exit, it's basically like sending a video message. Can't someone else do it? Strike 4

-The admins of this game don't have an inkling of what's going on. The undercover cops didn't inform them from the get-go that a cyber terrorist group was messing around in their game, Strike 5

-Invisible landmines that take away all your HP, Strike 6

-The fire boss has only one type of enemy, Strike 7

UGH

Chamber Officer: Please move to the warp port on my left. Good luck Kite.

Kite.exe, jack out!

Maybe the next Battle Network scenario will be better.

Kite: Yes, it's really the Real World! ...Wow! My body is really here! ...oh, wait, no time for that! We only have 180 seconds! We have to hurry!

Eh, it's probably just a story thing, they wouldn't -

Click for music

oh gently caress oh gently caress we actually have a time limit

and new enemies

...Strike 8

Name: MetalSeadramon

Drops: Crimson Cable

3 STR, 4 DEF, 4 SPR, 4 WIS, 2 SPD,
3 FIRE, 3 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 3 MACHINE, 1 DARK

EXP: 223, BIT: 460

Technique: God Bombard (Magic-Machine), Capture Beam (Enemy Can't Escape)

Name: Pukumon
NO! NOT PUKU, BUBBLEMAN.EXE DID THAT ENOUGH IN THE ANIME

4 STR, 5 DEF, 1 SPR, 1 WIS, 4 SPD,
3 FIRE, 1 WATER, 3 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 3 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 221, BIT: 470

Regular Attack: Machine Element

What the christ.
Name: Scorpiomon

3 STR, 3 DEF, 4 SPR, 4 WIS, 3 SPD,
3 FIRE, 3 WATER, 1 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 216, BIT: 480

Technique: Grand Wave (Magic-Water)

Name: Tylomon
Level: Armor (roughly equivalent to Champion)

3 FIRE, 3 WATER, 1 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 215, BIT: 430

Regular Attack: Water Element

...I can't honestly remember where I've seen that picture before.
Name: Whamon
Level: Champion (Occasionally Ultimate)

3 FIRE, 3 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 225, BIT: 420

Technique: Hard Rain (Magic-Water)

Every single fight here drops a Crimson Cable, which is basically just a free Absorb item. They will languish in my bag for eternity.

Fun fact: Hookmon, according to the Digimon lore, is chasing a White Whamon. It's a pretty neat allusion to Moby Dick.

To the right immediately is a chest.

At least the time doesn't go down in fights.

Back on the other side is more chests.

There is, from left to right, top to bottom, nothing, a Power Charge, nothing, nothing, and a Super Charge in the chests. We then keep heading south.

Why? I'd get the point if the timer decreased whilst picking up treasure.

No time to wonder why there's massive chests in the Military Base Magasta with equipment for Digimon, we're on a timer!

Kite: ...What is this control panel? Here's a button. I guess I'll push it!

Yes, Kite. Let's push a strange button in the military base! That's smart!

Strike 9

A button? Like this? :moreevil:

NO DEE DEE! Don't push the button, Dee Dee! Dee Dee!

Kite: I wonder what it was for? Oh, well...

There was a clunking sound, but nothing on-screen changed.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gotta run gotta run

Moving at the speed of sound
Quickest hedgehog around

Got ourselves a situation

Stuck in a new location

Magasta is split up into two main screens. This is the second one, and we're immediately turning north and then west to go back to the first one.

Without any explanation

This is because I desire prizes.

No time for relaxation!

Turn left, follow a path, and some money is now ours.

Back down the original path, it branches again, leading to more prizes. There's a bunch of chests here, which contain nothing and a Royal Spear.

If we go back to the second branch and follow THAT one straight, we get this. I have no idea what any of these items do, and I'm not going to look because :supaburn: oh god we're on a timer and I want all the prizes in one trip because I don't know if we can come back here later

You should find out! If it's a Game Over, then that's another strike!

Back to the second screen, head south and get something that is probably worse than what I already have.

It's important we press that first computer button, because if we hadn't this warp gate wouldn't be active.

Blue led to red and now it's time to hit another button.

Kite: What should I do? Oh, well, let's push it!

:effortless:

The screens light up and there's a clunk.
Kite: Hmm, nothing happened. Oh, well, I have to go find the A.o.A!

Take the blue portal - they're one-way, so we can't just leave through the orange portal, naturally - and we're transported here, up in the very north of the second screen.

Yesss, more chests.

Moving along, by going to the only place we haven't been yet, the top-right of screen two, there's this guy.

Mech Soldier: GGzzz! GGzzz! Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert! Deleting immediately!

...This is the Real World, I'd like to remind you. 'Deleting' here means killing.

We're in the Real World..with access to our Digimon.

Strike 10. I was willing to ignore it if it was a gameplay concession, but uhhhhh

Nothing special, just a Cthulhu, pufferfish, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Kite: !!! Huh?! There's something on the ground. This is a Veemon exclusive weapon! Yeah! I got the Dramon Guard! Oh, wait! I don't have time for this! I have to stop the Juggernaut from launching!

Kite: Ummm, which button? ......there! It's this one!

:dogbutton:

gently caress

Kite: Huh? Nothing happened? But if the A.o.A was here, that should stop the launch of the Juggernaut!
TRON: ...NOTIFYING ALL STAFF OF MAGASTA. SSS CLASS WAR SHIP JUGGERNAUT IS ALMOST RE-ENERGIZED... ALL STAFF WITHIN THE BASE SHOULD TAKE SHELTER...REPEATING... SSS C....WAR... NAUT...
Kite: ...wha-what?! Why won't it stop?! ...This was a trap! Then the A.o.A is somewhere else!

What is going on!? Where are the military staff!? This is a base isn't it? THE gently caress!?

Strike 11

This just isn't Kite's day, is it?

If we hadn't pressed the second computer button, this door here wouldn't open. But, since I pressed the button, we can keep going. I don't actually know what happens if you run out of time; I assume it's a game over, but it could just be a 'go back to start and try again' sort of thing.

Once we've entered this room, the timer stops since we're in the Cutscene Zone.

Kite: Hold it right there! Stop the launch now! I'm not going to let you guys get away with it!
Royal Guard: Ha ha ha ha! This punk says we have to stop! You think a kid like you can stop our plans!
Kite: I'll make you guys to stop it!
[sic]
Royal Guard: ...ha ha ha. Are you for real? Try it if you can!

Oh, I guess the A.o.A. took them out? Yeah, I'm trying to follow the story, but none of the past plot points are sticking, so I'm trying to pick up little bits as I go.

Time to murder.

Whamon isn't a threat.

This jerk is. Vademon still hits hard, and the status ailments are a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Machinedramon, on the other hand, goes down to Cannondramon's Dramon Buster like a chump.

Kite: I've got to stop the Juggernaut! Huh? There's something on the ground. Yeah! I got a Wing Helmet!

Kite's changed.

Oh poo poo, we picked up a thing.

TRON: ALL CLEAR FOR LAUNCH! JUGGERNAUT IS LAUNCHING!
Kite: ...what?! I've got to stop it!

:allbuttons:

Kite: It's no use! None of this is stopping it!
Kite: !!! What!? The electromagnetic field is gone!

Well, that's bad.

Kite: What should I do? The Juggernaut is launching!

Yeah, that's bad.

That cutscene was surprisingly boring. And I guess Juggernaut is like a nuclear sub, or something? What does A.o.A. stand to gain from this?

Strike 12

Oh yeah, that whole time limit thing.

Kite: What should I do? I couldn't stop the Juggernaut. And I was soooo close! ...I wonder what's happening in the Real World... I hope it's OK...

I'm sure it's fine.

News: ...att...by...terrori.......Jugger....an...now.....city.....zzzh.....
News: Zzhh...emerg......is...Peopl....tak...shelt.......an...esca...zzzhh

See? Perfectly normal.

It's always been like that; you just never realized it.

Kite: I'm sure there's some other way. OK, let's go talk to Lisa and the others!

At least the game was kind enough to warp us out, which kept us from walking a whole ten seconds to the portal ourselves. The places they put in tiny time-saving features, I swear.

Speaking of 'time-saving features'! I tested out to see what would happen if I just sat there for the 180 seconds and ran out the clock.

Turns out? Nothing. It just kicks us out of Magasta and then cuts to the FMV. No other difference. I guess that's good on the game... On the other hand, nothing we do matters, hooray!

Nothing you did mattered in the first place.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 29, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

GeneralYeti posted:

What the christ.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomalocaris

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GeneralYeti posted:

Name: Whamon
Level: Champion (Occasionally Ultimate)

To elaborate, Whamon is one of the two Digimon species that are both Champion and Ultimate with the other being Minotarumon as mentioned earlier in the thread. In both instances, it was do to inconsistencies between the virtual pet and original card game and are the biggest example of a Digimon having multiple levels. Whamon however at least acknowledges this and attempted to explain why:

Digimon Reference Book posted:

Although it has been possible to confirm it as the same species as those in File Island's coastal waters, this Whamon, which lives off of Folder Continent's coast, and whose appearance is totally the same, has surpassed the previous in both offensive ability and vitality, and accomplished a digivolution to Ultimate.

Both species can actually Digivolve to and from themselves along with other Digimon species*. In fact, Kenta's MarineAngemon in Tamers has Whamon as his Ultimate Level stage with Dolphmon as the Champion according to Bandai Asia's D-Power version 3 Digivice virtual pet.

*Preceding and succeeding stages being based on the Whamon stage's Level.

Crossed with with a Eurypterid.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

GeneralYeti posted:

Turns out? Nothing. It just kicks us out of Magasta and then cuts to the FMV. No other difference.

So let me get this straight, you get one shot at a dungeon with a time limit, but the plot advances regardless of whether you make it in time or not?

So what was the entire point of that anyways besides collecting items.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
So I suppose that the player's Digimon is realized much like Kite. I'll give the random encounters a pass since it's a gameplay concession, even though it would convey the narrative better without it. But that doesn't explain the boss' Digimon. :v:

:wtc:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Don't worry.

The plot gets weirder.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucigenia

...oh, you meant the plot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

giver336 posted:

So I suppose that the player's Digimon is realized much like Kite. I'll give the random encounters a pass since it's a gameplay concession, even though it would convey the narrative better without it. But that doesn't explain the boss' Digimon. :v:

They were realized too, I guess? I have no honest answer to anything that happens here. I want to defend this game but it's clear it was rushed and didn't get a lot of planning.

Anyways, a small correction: Yeti, you complained about not having Toei artwork of Cyclomon. What you've been using is the Bandai artowrk, the Toei artwork is of lower quality and meant to be used for anime appearances.

Talking about low quality, WarGreymon doesn't use its shield to block moves. In a game where the defense icon is WarGreymon's Brave Shield. Too much effort, huh? Dukemon gets to use its own because it's permanently held forward, but making an animation of WarGreymon taking out its own shield to use it was too much to ask for, huh?

Also, I'm really not sure what you're [sic]ing in the Realizing Kite line. Am I missing something? It's an awkward sentence, but "Realize" has been the official term for a digital being appearing in the Real World since Tamers, maybe earlier, and the human world has always been called the Real World in-story.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blaze Dragon posted:

Talking about low quality, WarGreymon doesn't use its shield to block moves. In a game where the defense icon is WarGreymon's Brave Shield. Too much effort, huh? Dukemon gets to use its own because it's permanently held forward, but making an animation of WarGreymon taking out its own shield to use it was too much to ask for, huh?

This is the game where all big Digimons handwave a generic shockwave as an attack. Animations is not where this game's budget went.

Clearly it went to the Circuit Board design.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeti, you complained about not having Toei artwork of Cyclomon. What you've been using is the Bandai artowrk, the Toei artwork is of lower quality and meant to be used for anime appearances.

Also, I'm really not sure what you're [sic]ing in the Realizing Kite line. Am I missing something? It's an awkward sentence, but "Realize" has been the official term for a digital being appearing in the Real World since Tamers, maybe earlier, and the human world has always been called the Real World in-story.

Pay attention to who's speaking! It changes from Chamber Clark to Chamber Officer for no reason.

As for the artwork, I know; there's Bandai artwork of Cyclomon, which is what I use first. When a recolor shows up, like it did this time, I like to use the Toei artwork just for something different.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
No Ghost Rider joke for SkullMeramon?

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's cuz he's cool

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not gonna lie, I honestly think that this is why Meramon and SkullMeramon were chosen to be the Champion and Ultimate Level stages for Tamers Impmon in Bandai Asia's D-Power version 3 Digivice virtual pet.

This was before Baalmon was introduced as an intermediate stage between Wizardmon and Beelzemon in Digimon Crusaders.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
I still think this whole game makes a lot more sense if you realize that obviously no one is in a game, MAGAMI just figured out (or stumbled onto) how to send people to the Digital World and decided to profit on it by telling everyone it's a VR MMO. It would explain why the "Emergency Exit" is locked behind some dungeons and only on one server. It's obviously just a naturally-existing digi-port that they slapped the name "Emergency Exit" on to keep people from using it and to have a justification for guarding it. They also probably don't want any rogue Digimon escaping into the Real World.

Now, why they decided to pass off another dimension as a VR MMO in the first place is just dumb.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the 180 seconds is probably for keeping Digimon out in the real world.

Though the AoA doesn't seem to have any trouble.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

DjinnAndTonic posted:

I still think this whole game makes a lot more sense if you realize that obviously no one is in a game, MAGAMI just figured out (or stumbled onto) how to send people to the Digital World and decided to profit on it by telling everyone it's a VR MMO. It would explain why the "Emergency Exit" is locked behind some dungeons and only on one server. It's obviously just a naturally-existing digi-port that they slapped the name "Emergency Exit" on to keep people from using it and to have a justification for guarding it. They also probably don't want any rogue Digimon escaping into the Real World.

Now, why they decided to pass off another dimension as a VR MMO in the first place is just dumb.

you can't copyright a dimension.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
There are so many ways they could have built a lore around this game to make it's plot more engaging.

Instead they decided to give half the NPCs diferent variations of "oink,oink!!" talk.

And then the NPC's in Amaterasu server were turned into pigs to boot.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Interesting ranfom fact

that cthulhu digimon is also a dropped plot point in digimon 02.

http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Dragomon

http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/His_Master%27s_Voice

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 7, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You may want to fix that second link, that's why I always preview links before posting.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

the stupidest excuse for a plot reveal yet

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is there a shark Digimon? Has the plot jump over it yet?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The closest would be Tylomon who's technically a tylosaurus:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I thought the plot jumped the shark twenty hours ago!

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

The closest would be Tylomon who's technically a tylosaurus:

We ran into him last update, remember?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, it's easy to forget about the Armor Level and its species cause of how poorly treated they were. Bare in mind that this Level was created for 02 in the six partner Digimon were each given one Armor level stage for each of the ten Digi-Eggs/Digimentals meaning that there are at least sixty species total not counting gold Rapidmon, Salamandermon, FlameWizardmon.

Unfortunately 02 barely used even a quarter of them and that's including the CD drama Armor Evolution to the Unknown which introduced Sagittarimon, Rinkmon, Pteramon, Manbomon, Butterflymon, and finally Wormon's Armor stage of Bucchiemon to 02. The Armor Level species didn't start appearing until later series.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Update 21: Transformers

Last time we sat down and finished up the shenanigans in North Sector; after that, we were told to go talk to Lisa to figure out what to do next.

Y'know, since we hosed up massively and Juggernaut launched anyway.

Not that we could have ever stopped it anyway.

Now, we need to head back to Asuka City, and the only way to do that is to take the Circuit Board back. Ugh.

...gently caress. Well, N Badlands W isn't terrible, since I can just hop on the Seabed path if I head east one screen.

I find it amusing how you consider the Seabed a not-terrible alternative, now.

Moving right along, Lisa should be still in the Master Room, where we left her.

DO Guard: Everyone is waiting for you!

I like to imagine this as everyone expecting the trip to North Sector to be a suicide mission and they're all disappointed Kite made it back alive.

Lisa: poo poo. There goes my paycheck.

Kite: Lisa! A.o.A's got the Juggernaut!
Lisa: Yes. It looks like it... Teddy noticed it and told us!

I still don't know what the Juggernaut is. Did we miss an expository cutscene or something?

Keith: Now what? The Juggernaut is so powerful!
Nick: It's the world's most powerful weapon! That's why it was sealed away, so it won't be misused!

:cripes: Game, 'sealed away' and 'accessible by an eleven-year-old kid' are generally not the same thing. But at least we have an answer to what Juggernaut is: some uber-ship that will outclass everything else.

You know, game, it would have been better to hand us this info BEFORE the thing launched. This is aimed towards children, but even basic story structure would support even introducing the Juggernaut beforehand.

Also, yeah, lol "sealed away" and not loving "dismantled". Excellent job.

Yes, by not letting it get launched in the first place OH WAIT

Lisa: Um... let's see... OK, we should go ask her...
Kite: ...huh? Her?

Pictured: Me and Giver trying to make sense of this game's plot.

It's dialogue like this that doesn't keep me invested. It tries to be mysterious, but it gets in the way of actual story sense, not to mention that everyone has to follow up with "wat" before they understood what was said.

Lisa: Keith and Nick, you stay here with Teddy. OK, let's go Kite!

Hey, guess who they locked up (taking the smart route) and are now going to go try to get information out of?

Your mom?

Lisa: That's right! You got it! She's the only person we can go to, right?
Game Master: ...what do you mean, talk! I have no intentions of helping you!

Yes, that's the end of the text box. Not a mis-timed screenshot. Game. Please.

Oh God.

Lisa: I was going to give up to you.
Kite: Wha-what're you saying Lisa?!

That is a weird sentence by Lisa.

Lisa: They got the Juggernaut! So nothing we can do! And I don't want to die yet.
Kite: ...wha-what?! We fought all the way here!! I don't want to. I'll never give up!
Lisa: Kite, you're a straight kid. But you'll just lose your life.

Game Master: Yes, Juggernaut belongs to the A.o.A! Only the president in Amaterasu City can stop it!

...What. :what:

She's doing reverse...psychology? This was so bad my brain didn't register the president in Amaterasu City bit.

Lisa: ...really. You heard that Kite?
Kite: Ye-yes ma'am! ...that's what you meant!!

YOU DON'T loving SAY.

:wtc: Someone fire the writers.

Lisa: They say first fool your allies before an enemy! So? How was my acting?

Teddy: Vemmon was transferred onto the Juggernaut!
Kite: ...what, what happened?!
Lisa: Really?!

:siren:You should watch this for the full effect.:siren:

Smash cut to the real world! Bombers are flying around the Juggernaut.

Quite the armada.

Hah, Japan doesn't have a Navy!

And despite all of those ships firing missiles, the Juggernaut doesn't even have a scratch on it.

Huh?

...What the gently caress.

It's a goddamn Gundam!

What the gently caress. So the Juggernaut randomly turned into a laser Transformer and blew up the ships.

Yeah, okay, sure. Why not.

I mean, we're already at Saturday-morning cartoon level of plot, might as well go whole-hog.

Whole-hog with ripping off every franchise.

Kite: What's this Destromon?
Game Master: It's a Digimon born by fusing Vemmon and the Juggernaut! Destromon is the strongest Digimon! No weapon can defeat it!

What okay no, that is NOT OKAY. First off, how the gently caress do you fuse a Digimon and a loving ship? The Digimon can take over the ship's computers, sure, but that's not fusing that's a virus! Second, how the hell does Digimon + Ship = Laser Transformer?

This irritates me for some unknown reason.

I think Yeti has been broken.

Lisa: Let's get the president of MAGAMI to stop Destromon!
Kite/Teddy: Yes ma'am! / ...y-yes!

Lisa: It's the A.o.A's headquarters, so security is tight.

Oh that's easy, we just need to beat all the Amaterasu leaders, collect the passes, then talk to Knightmon and our credentials will let us get -

Nick: That's true... If we can get someone to help...

gently caress you we don't need help.

I DEMAND A KNIGHTMON REMATCH!

Keith: I mean, come on, look around!

...He says, surrounded by exactly zero Oinkmon.

Kite: Oh yeah, Kenny was saying something about... All right! I'll go to Amaterasu Server again to look!
Lisa: Thanks. I'm counting on you.

Kite no, you can just do this yourself.

Also, your first instinct might be 'Who the gently caress is Kenny?' because the game has zero problems dropping new proper nouns on us and pretending that they make sense, but we met Kenny before! He's that dingus that gave us the Crony ID when we first stepped into Amaterasu Server - that kid we talked to for all of thirty seconds.

(I only remember that because I searched through several FAQs for his name.)

Anyway, time to head back to Amaterasu Server. This Circuit Board here will connect us to the matching hole in Amaterasu, so...

Click for music

:argh: I hate the Circuit Board so much...

If there are Circuit Board exclusive sidequests, I demand you do them.

Click for music

...gently caress. Why are there so many entrances to N Badlands W? At least I'm on the right server. Gimme a second.

Ahem. So, moving on from Ether Jungle, we enter South Cape, Amaterasu style. The only things we'll fight here are Cherrymon and the purple Tortomon, plus Ebidramon and Cardmon if we fish for them.

None of the NPCs are stunning conversationalists.

For what it is worth, however, Asuramon will let us train at the gym. Super Training is offered for a few of the exercises, like the Legendary Gym, but not all of the ones. It varies from gym to gym, naturally.

Moving along, this Seabed has a new friend for us.

Name: Dragomon

3 STR, 4 DEF, 5 SPR, 5 WIS, 2 SPD,
3 FIRE, 3 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 221, BIT: 440

Regular Attack: Water Element

Hoo boy, a Cthulhu monster! Neat.

And welcome (officially) to the West Sector. I think I like the other palette better.

If we head east, we'll find -

Sigh.

That was literally 5 steps. Is there a way to keep the random encounters away.

New enemies:

Name: MetalEtemon

Drops: Max Charge

2 STR, 5 DEF, 3 SPR, 4 WIS, 3 SPD,
2 FIRE, 1 WATER, 3 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 3 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 222, BIT: 460

Technique: Mega Heal (Heal a large portion of HP)

Name: Numemon 6* (Mint Colored)

Drops: Booster Chip

3 STR, 5 DEF, 2 SPR, 2 WIS, 5 SPD,
3 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 399, BIT: 1110

More fun facts: every Etemon so far apparently calls themselves the 'King of Digimon'. Less fun facts: Mega Heal heals the drat thing to full, and it loves casting it right at red health.

This Numemon is special, by the way; it gives the most EXP of any refightable enemy in the game (so excluding bosses, leaders, and tamers). Still not worth it, since the drat things only rarely appear, and love running away.

I'm not gonna bother with showing off wandering around, since it's all the same. No new treasure chests, either.

Trooper: Hey, you! Who are you?! You're suspicious. Let's Digimon Battle to see who you are!

How does this line of dialogue make any sense?

I don't know, but it's apparently regulation.

Not really all that much trouble. We've dealt with all of these enemies before. It helps that two of my three Digimons have high Darkness Tolerance.

The Noise Desert is a little bit better in this form, I think; less brown and more blue.

Oh yeah. this looks nicer.

Doesn't mean I have the slightest clue what the gently caress happened to the cacti, though.

New enemies in Noise Desert:

Name: Gryphonmon

Drops: Wind Power S

2 STR, 3 DEF, 5 SPR, 3 WIS, 4 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 1 ICE, 3 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 227, BIT: 440

Technique: Sylph Storm (Magic-Wind)

In-game model:

Name: Tankmon 2* (Blue Colored)

Drops: Runner Shoes

4 STR, 5 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 1 SPD,

EXP: 227, BIT: 470

Gryphonmon's Sylph Storm can be dangerous, so make sure whatever Digimon you're using is resistant to either Wind or Magic or preferably both. Tankmon, on the other hand, is still a pushover.

In the center of Noise Desert is this guy.

Trooper: You're suspicious! Let's Digimon Battle to see who you are!

He's no harder than the previous fight. Seriously, a Betamon at this point in the game? Now you're just being insulting.

Uh, were we supposed to explore much earlier?

When we roll up to the entrance to Byakko City, (Bai Hu, probably, but don't quote me on that since I'm trying to remember the Chinese names for the Four Symbols off the top of my head) this jerk and his partner won't let us through.

Trooper 1: Orders from the Leader!
Trooper 2: Sorry, even if you're under another Leader we can't let you pass! That's our orders.

Why can't we beat them up. :mad:

Fine, we'll just head through Pelche Oasis. My end goal is the Secret Room in the Sewers of Dum Dum Factory, since that's the first most likely place to find a secret rebellion against the A.o.A.

N Badlands W, for once, has new things to it!

Enemies first, though.

Name: Arukenimon
Amaterasu West - North Badland W, Bullet Valley

Drops: Charm Gas

2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 1 WIND, 3 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 225, BIT: 450

Regular Attack: No Element (Chance of Poison)

:popchan: Hello!
Name: LadyDevimon

Drops: Charm Gas

4 STR, 2 DEF, 3 SPR, 2 WIS, 3 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 3 ICE, 1 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 224, BIT: 440

In-game model: N/A (but it's totally orange, guys)
Name: Snimon 2* (Orange Colored)

Kicking Trees: Amaterasu West - N Badland West, Bullet Valley
Amaterasu North - Boot Mountain, Kulon Mine

Drops: Train Chip 3

4 STR, 2 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 4 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 1 WIND, 3 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 241, BIT: 480

Name: Valkyrimon

Drops: Dance Wing

3 STR, 3 DEF, 2 SPR, 3 WIS, 5 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 225, BIT: 460

Lots of new fights, but none of them are that hard. Valkyrimon is really the only dangerous one because of the 5 Speed, and she can't hit that hard in the end. I really wish I had somebody with Wind Techs, but none of my fighters can use them except MagnaAngemon (Monmon), but Monmon doesn't have the Spirit to use them effectively. Oh well.

Some nice stuff in the new chests this time around.

Group huddle!

I know I said we wanted to hit Dum Dum Valley, but I might as well finish off the Badlands first, right?

Enemies:

Name: KingEtemon

Drops: Charisma Chip

3 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 5 WIS, 3 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 3 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 1 DARK

EXP: 226336, BIT: 500

Technique: Full Heal (Heals All HP)

I haven't ever seen this guy, actually. He's a rare encounter but gives a lot of BIT for defeating him.

Shakkoumon is the gym leader trainer in West Sector, and while we can't do any of the main stat training, he offers a few Super Training chances for the tolerances, specifically Machine and Wind.

At least these guys make it easy to transcribe their dialogue.

Trooper: You're suspicious! Let's Digimon Battle to see who you are!

We'll be talking about Roachmon later.

What the gently caress.

Back up to N Badland W, we run into another Trooper while approaching Bullet Valley.

Trooper: Hey, you! Who are you?! You're suspicious! Let's Digimon Battle to see who you are!

Nothing terrible. Dolphmon is time-wasting trash at this point, even if he gave us a hard time when we first started running into them.

Click for ambience

No new encounters for Bullet Valley, so let's just skip ahead to Dum Dum Factory.

Enemies:

In-game model:

Name: Guardromon 2*
Location: Amaterasu West - Dum Dum Factory, Operation Room, Secret Stairs

4 STR, 5 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 2 SPD,

EXP: 231, BIT: 460

Name: Machinedramon

Drops: Metal Power S

2 FIRE, 1 WATER, 3 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 3 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 235, BIT: 500

Regular Attack: Machine Element (Hits Twice)

Change the name of this update to "A New Enemy Challenger Has Appeared." Christ, there are so many.
Name: Megadramon

3 STR, 3 DEF, 5 SPR, 5 WIS, 3 SPD,
3 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 1 DARK

EXP: 233, BIT: 450

Well, this is fun. None of these are terribly irritating to fight, they're mainly just speed bumps to waste my time. What is nice is the Metal Power S that Machinedramon drops, though it's not really worth it to fight them until three drop.

Now, last time we were here, Numemon/whatever that guy's name was (Kail's brother, the one that's a pig) dropped these chests off only after we stepped on a certain spot on the scaffolding outside. Fortunately we don't have to do that song and dance to get these chests. We get an Armor Chip, a Mind Chip, a Boost Chip, and a Charisma Chip out of the chests, Duct Room 01 - 04 respectively, this time around. A Boost Chip is the best one, since it gives us free TP.

Moving along, we fought HiAndromon in Asuka, so we have a Black Digimon to fight here.

racist.

BK WarGrowlmon: Hey let's play! No one came so I was bored!
Kite: Hmm... I can't play long.
BK WarGrowlmon: I know. Just a bit. One battle!
Kite: Oh, then it's OK! But I won't go easy on you!
BK WarGrowlmon: That's my line! Wow, I haven't battled in a while!

Digimon World 3: Maintaining its proud tradition of ruining good pre-fight quips by extending them one line too long.

Watch the fight!

This guy's no different than the WarGrowlmon we fought before, but here's the stat block anyway:

Name: BK WarGrowlmon (Boss)

Drops: Hazard Armor (After Defeat)

4 STR, 2 DEF, 2 SPR, 3 WIS, 4 SPD,
2 FIRE, 1 WATER, 3 ICE, 3 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 3 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 550, BIT: 1100

Technique: Mega Strength (Greatly Increase Strength), Atomic Blaster (Magic-Fire)

Physical attack is WarGrowlmon's wave attack.

This, I guess, is different; he can boost his own attack, not that it's going to help him much. A few of these might be dangerous, so try to take him down before he gets too many off.

Good, bosses with stat boosts. Now we just need a boss that can passively boost its own Speed and we're in for some FUN.

Atomic Blaster is still Atomic Blaster. It doesn't even get a boost from Mega Strength.

Kite: Likewise. Well, I gotta go.
BK WarGrowlmon: Hey, wait a sec! I'll give you this as thanks!
Kite: Yeah! I got the Hazard Armor!
BK WarGrowlmon: Heh heh, isn't it cool?! It's my treasure, so please take care of it!

Will do, chief. It's worth noting that it's not required to fight any of the Black Digimon - the items they give us are obtainable elsewhere, though this is by far the best way of getting all the stuff. Hazard Armor is armor for Guilmon.

Cool looking map, though.

Well, we're here again.

Enemies:

Name: Garbagemon

Drops: Goggles

2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 235, BIT: 470

Oh look guys, it's GeneralYeti.
Name: Roachmon

2 STR, 3 DEF, 2 SPR, 2 WIS, 5 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 1 WIND, 3 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 234, BIT: 100

Note: Only Digimon in the game to give less BIT than EXP (other than Vemmon)

Nothing special here, honestly. Roachmon and Garbagemon are quick, but they can't really take a hit - make sure that you use Magic Techs, though, since it'll do extra damage.

Anyway, still no chests in the Sewers, so let's just... go.

Um.

What.

Yesssssssss

BK KingNumemon: You're a fool to enter Black KingNumemon's area!
Kite: Oh, what the?! You're one colorful Numemon.

Kite, no, he's the opposite of colorful. He's two colors.

Technically, more. Learn your colors, good sir.

BK KingNumemon: Don't think I'm like other Numemon! Me, BK KingNumemon, is far superior to other Numemon.[sic]
Kite: Superior, eh? You don't look like it!
BK KingNumemon: Then I'll show you!

For once, the game ends on an acceptable fight line.

Watch... the fight...?

(Whoops! I screwed up and lost footage of the successful run...and then immediately saved over the file. Ugh.)

This had to have been the best boss fight in the LP.

So majestic.
Name: BK KingNumemon (Boss)

Drops: Bit Adapter (After Defeat)

3 STR, 4 DEF, 2 SPR, 2 WIS, 3 SPD,
2 FIRE, 3 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 570, BIT: 1300

Regular Attack: No Element (Chance of Freeze)
Technique: Dark Pupil (Magic) (Enemy Can't Escape)

gently caress this guy. gently caress him and his god drat regular attack.

"But why?" I hear you asking. "It's just a stupid ball!"

Because of this. Frozen is bar none the worst status effect in the game and I hate it because I literally have no chance of getting rid of it once it's on me because I DON'T GET A TURN.

Hahahahaha, GET hosed.

Oh yeah and then there's Dark Pupil, which stops you from escaping, but whatever.

...In a boss fight?

It also prevents you from switching out. Y'know, to a not-Frozen Digimon.

Eventually, to beat him I swapped out Renamon's accessories to both protect against the Frozen/Paralyzed status - I picked up a pair of every accessory from Gomamon's shop off-screen, just in case poo poo like this happened - and then swore repeatedly at the screen until the RNGesus decided to smile on me.

(It's true.)

(You'll brook no argument from me.)

BK KingNumemon: Oh no... I, the King... lost!
Kite: But you were pretty good. You're indeed the king!
BK KingNumemon: ...re-really? I'm happy you said that. You're a good guy! I'll give you this!
Kite: Yeah! I got the BIT Adaptor!
BK KingNumemon: Just never forget me, KingNumemon!

What does that do?

Ups the amount of BIT we get after each battle. Functionally useless, especially since it takes up an accessory slot.

Well that was fun.

Are you the resistance? Tell me you're the resistance.

Operator Yuuko: And are forcing them to train Digimon for warfare.

Strike one!

Operator Kaori: But then they would've found where we were!

Strike two!

Operator Maki: But everyone else... They were all turned into Oinkmon!

And strike three, we're out! These operators are not the resistance we're looking for. That means there's only one place left to look, and that's where we'll be heading next time.

This whole detour was for naught!

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 14, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BlackKingNumemon there is unique amongst the recolours. Beyond obviously not being a recolour of one of your own Digimon, there's no such thing as a non-Black KingNumemon. I'm not entirely sure why it exists as "Black" without being a recolour, but it does.

Also I don't get the complaints about Destromon when weirder poo poo has happened constantly in Digimon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'm almost certain that there was supposed to be a normal colored KingNumemon but for whatever reason, it was never released.

Echoing Blaze's point since at this point in the franchise Digimon have been shown fusing with armor eggs in 02, humans on more then one occasion, non-Digimon digital lifeforms namely Splashmon with his Splasher familiars to become his tiger form, and remnants of a deceased Digimon fashioned into a weapon such as the Brave Snatcher which was made from Lord Bagra's right arm.

And that's not counting the whole concept of Spirits in Frontier and humans being infused with Digimon data in Data Squad.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 13, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The only thing I took away from this update is that the Game Master literally everyone onscreen is an absolute moron and Mega Man ZX Advent will never have a sequel.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 13, 2016

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

I'm almost certain that there was supposed to be a normal colored KingNumemon but for whatever reason, it was never released.

Echoing Blaze's point since at this point in the franchise Digimon have been shown fusing with armor eggs in 02, humans on more then one occasion, non-Digimon digital lifeforms

Everything beyond this point was not around when DW3 was released, and I'm just counting the D-Reaper for that last one.

I mean, weirder things happen in the series (the entire D-Reaper arc in Tamers is basically Cthulhu Mythos + Computers in the real world), but at no point in this game's story has it been previously established that jamming a Digimon into a ship results in a super robot. I love the design, but without establishing the Digital World and Digimon as real things with reality warping properties, as opposed to just parts of an MMO, this makes no sense.

This is also a game where technology that allows an eleven year old and his online battle monsters to appear in real life in the middle of a military base with all abilities and powers intact is treated as nothing particularly special, though, so logic isn't quite running at full blast here.

Also, Tankmon is missing its level (Champion).

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

Also, Tankmon is missing its level (Champion).

You saw nothing :ninja:

As for why Destromon seems to irritate me so much, I don't really know. Probably just a combination of things finally getting to me, like the absolutely idiotic justification for plot progression ("Oh I'm gonna just tell you whoops I'm dumb") and all the bullshit that was last update. This game is starting to get to me...

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kurui Reiten posted:

Everything beyond this point was not around when DW3 was released, and I'm just counting the D-Reaper for that last one.

Technically speaking, Gallantmon's steed Grani would also qualify as an example since it fuses with its master to awaken Gallantmon's Crimson Mode.

quote:

I mean, weirder things happen in the series (the entire D-Reaper arc in Tamers is basically Cthulhu Mythos + Computers in the real world), but at no point in this game's story has it been previously established that jamming a Digimon into a ship results in a super robot. I love the design, but without establishing the Digital World and Digimon as real things with reality warping properties, as opposed to just parts of an MMO, this makes no sense.

This is also a game where technology that allows an eleven year old and his online battle monsters to appear in real life in the middle of a military base with all abilities and powers intact is treated as nothing particularly special, though, so logic isn't quite running at full blast here.

And yes, I was admittedly using examples from later series to illustrate my point that Digimon and Digimon data have/has been fused with a lot of things over the years (in fact I honestly would not be surprised if Appmon are revealed to be the result of mobile applications being infused with Digimon data explaining why they're Digimon-like lifeforms). That said, I feel like part of the reason for there being no explanation for Destromon's existence is due to an earlier theory that someone unwittingly stumbled upon the Digital World while making an MMO. How would the player be expected to know this if not even the company behind the MMO were aware that the game they had made merged with a Digital World that existed parallel to our own?

Bare in mind that this game was created to coincide with Tamers whose whole premise is "This isn't a game, the monsters are real!". It's likely that this was the mantra for the game as well, start the player off thinking that their character is playing an in-universe VR version of Digimon Masters and then reveal there was never an MMO and your character was in the actual Digital World and that Digimon are real.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
The whole "this isn't a game!" twist could be cool if it was communicated. Right now, the very first LP update hammers home that it's a MMORPG. The best chance to reveal it is right after the Game Master's defeat, I suppose. But if it's an actual world, why does the Crony ID fool very specific people. :v:

Still, there is some story left, so we'll see. I have my doubts.

• Locked thread