Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

Well I just finished Bridge of Birds and, no surprise, loved it. How do the two follow-ups compare?

I totally lost it at the part where Ox and Kao and Shen escape from a giant invisible spider via jury-rigged bamboo helicopter. Just so great.

I liked them, but they're basically More Bridge Of Birds Except Not Quite As Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really want more books like Mieville's The City & the City. I'm reading The Scar for the first time--I kinda bounced off Perdido Street Station for some reason, even though the setting is right up my alley--and I'm definitely enjoying it, but it doesn't really have the same tight, philosophically-interesting concept that The City does.

Any non-Mieville recommendations in that vein? Or Mieville, even, if there's a book of his I've overlooked.

(Unrelated, but I'm a sucker for cool magic and I always wish his Bas-Lag books had more on-screen, detailed thaumaturgy going on, though I understand the desire to keep it both vague and sort of mundane.)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Harrow posted:

Or Mieville, even, if there's a book of his I've overlooked.

Have you read his Embassytown? If you haven't, you should.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

I liked them, but they're basically More Bridge Of Birds Except Not Quite As Good.

Thanks, that's about what I figured. I'm pretty burned out on an ancient China that never was after binging BoB so I'll wait a bit before delving back in.

Unrelated: anyone have any favorite comic/graphic novel adaptations of sf or fantasy books? I snagged Gene Wolfe's The Shadow of the Torturer earlier this year and was surprised and how good a job it does interpreting Urth, anything else like that out there?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Khizan posted:

Seconding this, it's definitely the most similar to TC&TC of his SF works.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ToxicFrog posted:

My take is that the two sequels shouldn't be binge read with BoB. The "holy poo poo this is cool" magic is all used up after the first one. If you space them out though, they hold up very well compared to BoB and get some of that magic back.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Bridge of Birds is a transcendently beautiful experience that combines wonder, horror, and comedy into a uniquely perfect whole.

The Story of the Stone and Eight Skilled Gentlemen are quite good fantasy-mystery novels set in mythic China.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khizan posted:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Seconding this, it's definitely the most similar to TC&TC of his SF works.

I have not, but I'll put it next on my list.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Laffo, where is your god now: http://deadline.com/2016/11/lin-manuel-miranda-the-kingkiller-chronicle-movie-tv-show-1201861224/

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

oh god why :cripes:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

my bony fealty posted:

Unrelated: anyone have any favorite comic/graphic novel adaptations of sf or fantasy books? I snagged Gene Wolfe's The Shadow of the Torturer earlier this year and was surprised and how good a job it does interpreting Urth, anything else like that out there?

There is a graphic novel? Can you link me to it? I'm not seeing it on Amazon and Google.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

angel opportunity posted:

There is a graphic novel? Can you link me to it? I'm not seeing it on Amazon and Google.

https://www.amazon.com/Gene-Wolfes-Shadow-Torturer-Apprentice/dp/B001R9YGNK/

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Is there a way to buy an electronic version of it? (Sorry I'm totally loving clueless about comic books)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Who better to write musical pieces about how broke the protagonist is

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

angel opportunity posted:

Is there a way to buy an electronic version of it? (Sorry I'm totally loving clueless about comic books)

Probably not, but you could check a site like Comixology.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Probably not, but you could check a site like Comixology.

Sadly, no digital version--it's from a small press from 1991, probably not likely to get a legal version anytime soon.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
I just finished Twelve Kings in Sharakhai which was very, very mediocre. It's some 700+ pages and really needed to be about 400 to 500. It's loaded up with characterization flashbacks that are pointless, little that the main characters do makes any real sense, and I don't care about the worldbuilding mythology because I am given no reason to care.

In a sense it's an interesting failure because you can see all the ingredients are there. Lots of worldbuilding. Political maneuvering. Mysteries on mysteries. The prose is good. But it doesn't come together. I can't exactly say if the problem is a flabby plot or failed characters but it just destroys the book.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

wow. severian is jacked.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Neurosis posted:

wow. severian is jacked.

you have to keep in mind that it's severian drawing this when you look at it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Copernic posted:

you have to keep in mind that it's severian drawing this when you look at it.

lol.

also dream theater have just announced that 'noted sci-fi/fantasy author' Peter Orullian is turning their latest concept album which has embarrassing lyrics about a dystopia using names like 'lord nefarious' into a novel. i like dream theater, awful lyrics on some of their post-2000 albums aside, but this is going to be a train wreck.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Neurosis posted:

lol.

also dream theater have just announced that 'noted sci-fi/fantasy author' Peter Orullian is turning their latest concept album which has embarrassing lyrics about a dystopia using names like 'lord nefarious' into a novel. i like dream theater, awful lyrics on some of their post-2000 albums aside, but this is going to be a train wreck.

rofl

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Wait, songs?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

my bony fealty posted:

There were a couple of Gemmell adaptations a while back by the guy who did the UK cover art for several of the novels.

Slightly less fantastically, there were some nice versions of Clive Barker's The Thief of Always and The Great and Secret Show and Matheson's Hell House.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The latter seasons of GOT have improved vastly on the latter GOT books so maybe a screen adaptation can salvage something out of Kingkiller?

The Martian movie was superior to the book too, after all. An adaptation can improve on the original, at least in theory!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I just noticed that Natural History by Justina Robson is $1.99 today on Kindle.

Don't know if it's a permanent reduction or just a quick sale, but I've had it on my wishlist for a while, since someone recommended it here, and an 80% discount is always a good thing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Antti posted:

The latter seasons of GOT have improved vastly on the latter GOT books so maybe a screen adaptation can salvage something out of Kingkiller?

If nothing else, someone who actually knows the slightest thing about music is probably to the benefit of it. Not my first choice of things to be fixed but it's on the list.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Antti posted:

An adaptation can improve on the original, at least in theory!

There are many more examples than the ones you claimed so just because it may not be what usually happens that does not mean it can only happen in theory.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

People get touchy when judging adaptations vs. originals so I was just trying to be cautious.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

neongrey posted:

If nothing else, someone who actually knows the slightest thing about music is probably to the benefit of it. Not my first choice of things to be fixed but it's on the list.

If I could fix The Kingkiller Chronicles by only altering or getting rid of two things, they would be 1) every word of the entire series and 2) Patrick Rothfuss

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A friend of mine once lent me The Name of the Wind and I just absolutely could not get into it and never even made it halfway. He and another friend just rave about the series and I felt a bit like it was my fault for not being able to see what was so interesting and never actually finishing the book. I'm feeling a little bit better now that I know I'm not the only one who doesn't see what's so special about it.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

Harrow posted:

A friend of mine once lent me The Name of the Wind and I just absolutely could not get into it and never even made it halfway. He and another friend just rave about the series and I felt a bit like it was my fault for not being able to see what was so interesting and never actually finishing the book. I'm feeling a little bit better now that I know I'm not the only one who doesn't see what's so special about it.

Name of the Wind is the Ayn Rand of Fantasy, and I say that having read Terry Goodkind.

Ender's Game is the Ayn Rand of Sci-Fi.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Copernic posted:

Name of the Wind is the Ayn Rand of Fantasy, and I say that having read Terry Goodkind.

Oh poo poo, I actually liked Ender's Game. Actually I liked Speaker for the Dead a lot better, though--somehow figuring out how to negotiating a deadly cultural misunderstanding was more interesting than the war story. And then I deeply regret reading the next two books which went completely insane and stupid.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

Sadly, no digital version--it's from a small press from 1991, probably not likely to get a legal version anytime soon.

Yeah, no e-version, but I got it on eBay a few months ago. Something like $8 shipped for all 3 issues, the full set pops up every now and then.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Copernic posted:

No way. If nothing else, it's a nice quick read.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It's not really, in terms of ideology or prose, but it has that same teenaged "look at me, I'm so much smarter and better than everyone else" appeal.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah, no e-version, but I got it on eBay a few months ago. Something like $8 shipped for all 3 issues, the full set pops up every now and then.

How much of the story does it tell? I remember there only being three issues of a planned six.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

*in improv drama voice* alas you do not know the inner beauty of music or the fire of a woman~~~

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Antti posted:

Speaking of novels and the GoT adaption, David Benioff's City of Thieves is an outstanding book. It isn't fantasy or SF, but it deserves a look.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Safety Biscuits posted:

How much of the story does it tell? I remember there only being three issues of a planned six.

The last scene is Severian and Agia approaching the Botanic Gardens. But before they go in, which is a real shame because that whole sequence would have been awesome if illustrated.

I'm going to see what I can find about the legality of scanning it...Innovation's been defunct since 1994 so no clue who holds the copyright.

E: I emailed the guy who founded Innovation so maybe he'll reply...

more: there's some scans from it here if you wanna see the style (spoilers obv.):
http://www.cbr.com/year-of-the-artist-day-299-ted-naifeh-part-1-the-shadow-of-the-torturer-1/

Love how goofy Severian looks half the time.

oh hey:

I'll go ahead and start scanning it into a PDF version today then...!

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
There's probably a better thread for this, but Joe Dever, author of the Lone Wolf series of books, has died.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/14937849.Legendary_fantasy_author_Joe_Dever_dies/
https://www.facebook.com/joe.dever.50

The books are all freely available over at project aon: https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

Warning: villains may be "swarthy".