Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Note Block posted:

I currently have extra of the following:

11 Eevee - HA ability Anticipation, 2 Timid, 9 Modest (w/ 1 female), Ultra Ball
5 Goomy - 1 Hydration, 4 Sap Sipper, Calm, Beast Ball (potentially some perfect IVs)
3 Cubone - Lightning Rod, Jolly, Beast Ball
2 Grimer - HA ability Power of Alchemy, poo poo natures, Shadow Sneak and Curse egg moves, Luxury Ball
2 Feebas - Swift Swim, Bold, Dragon Breath and Pulse egg moves, Dive Ball (can trade w/ Prism Scale for Milotic evo if you provide one back)
2 Ditto - 1 Timid and 1 Modest
1 Kadabra - Syncronize, Modest (will turn in to Alakazam on trade)

Please let me know if you'd like anything!

Cubone for Beast Ball Carvahna (Rough Skin, no egg moves, sorry)?

tyblazitar posted:

I'll take that for the Minior if that's OK. They're ready to trade now by the way, going online.

I'm just filling up my Avue and then I can hop on for these two trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why does Smogon have such complicated ban clauses? I guess "complicated" is the wrong word, because I mean stuff like the Baton Pass clause, the OHKO ban, the evasion-raising and Moody bans, and the sleep clause.

Like, these things are in the game. Some of them just seem like "we hate variance", which is understandable but I'm not really sure why it's codified in the actual format itself, and stuff like speed passing, while certainly difficult to deal with... I don't know, why don't they just let the metagame revolve around these things, since there will always be pillars?

I don't know anything about competitive play but I figured asking here would get my head less bitten off than asking there :shobon:

The baton pass clause is literally there because the bigshots at smogon are a bunch of whiny manbabies that can't stand things that aren't "how the game is supposed to be played". The threads for the ban discussion should be in their archives if you want to read them, that change was made shortly after X and Y launched I think. The tl;dr was that Sylveon and a couple of mechanics changes upgraded full baton pass chain teams from a terrible gimmick to an actually reasonable team comp, and rather than adapt to something new which broke the mold of generations-old archetypes, they whined and whined and whined until the rules council put it up to a vote.

gently caress

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm online as pandora to send some Sharks out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Blaziken386 posted:

IMO - Half of the clauses are because the people who play in the smogon community are the same type of people who play "Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination" in smash
It's weird because I totally see why people play competitive Melee, and obviously you'd want items off for that, but I just totally miss the point of why there are ridiculous smogon banlists when there's a perfectly serviceable VGC ruleset (and then they can still ban pokemon to various tiers if they want to, whatever) that's "official" or whatever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why does Smogon have such complicated ban clauses? I guess "complicated" is the wrong word, because I mean stuff like the Baton Pass clause, the OHKO ban, the evasion-raising and Moody bans, and the sleep clause.

Like, these things are in the game. Some of them just seem like "we hate variance", which is understandable but I'm not really sure why it's codified in the actual format itself, and stuff like speed passing, while certainly difficult to deal with... I don't know, why don't they just let the metagame revolve around these things, since there will always be pillars?

I don't know anything about competitive play but I figured asking here would get my head less bitten off than asking there :shobon:

There's definitely some sour grapes involved, but not as much as people here like to pretend. Most of the clauses are because the game becomes sorta dumb when playing at a higher skill level without them or because the game becomes heavily centralized without them.

Sleep Clause insures you actually get to play the game of you want to run a team with slower pokemon.

Evasion clause makes it so bulky pokemon with recovery can't just PP stall you forever effortlessly or make the game really unfun.

I'm pretty indifferent to the Baton Pass clause but like, they do have evidence/stats from the ladder of baton Pass basically carrying people to absurd heights during gen 6. All and all I might not agree with every single choice, but I strongly disagree with few and support many, especially things like tiers and evasion, so I stick with it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Since my Pokedex completion is winding down, I'm starting to get into Island Scan. My plan is to find desirable things and trade those things for other Island Scan things so I don't have to wait a month to get all of them. With that in mind, I think Togekiss is one of the best options for me today and pretty much all days, plus I wouldn't have to use up one of my Shiny Stones if I had gotten a traded Togepi/Togetic. So I'm gonna go for that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Blaziken386 posted:

IMO - Half of the clauses are because the people who play in the smogon community are the same type of people who play "Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination" in smash
And if my experiences on Pokemon Showdown are accurate, they don't nickname their pokemon either, what nobs

For the record, you can Baton Pass whatever the gently caress you want.

Just be sure it's:
A) Just Speed.
B) Any combination of anything else except speed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's weird because I totally see why people play competitive Melee, and obviously you'd want items off for that, but I just totally miss the point of why there are ridiculous smogon banlists when there's a perfectly serviceable VGC ruleset (and then they can still ban pokemon to various tiers if they want to, whatever) that's "official" or whatever.

Well something being serviceable doesn't mean it's ideal, and if there's nothing stopping people from making their own why not let them. Especially since Nintendo doesn't seem to be interested in Singles.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Can I get the Modest ditto?

FC: 2723-9256-0832

Sure can! FC: 5129-2001-9949, IGN: Athena

tyblazitar posted:

I'll take that for the Minior if that's OK. They're ready to trade now by the way, going online.

EDIT:

You too!

Senerio posted:

Cubone for Beast Ball Carvahna (Rough Skin, no egg moves, sorry)?

I'm just filling up my Avue and then I can hop on for these two trades.

Yearp! Coming back on now, I started watching the rowlet video on repeat...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Sleep Clause wasn't purely a Smogon invention. The Stadium games actually made use of it first. They also had a Freeze clause, but Freeze is really hard to induce deliberately.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Note Block posted:

Just waiting for a thing. I'll be on in 5-10.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If I make it to the Pokemon world championship and I have a luck incense and use happy hour and win, do they have to pay out 4x prize money?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Note Block posted:

I'm actually not able to trade until like 6 EST. I thought I'd be able to connect to the network here but my DS isn't doing so. Can you save it? If not it's totally fine. Sorry!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Note Block posted:

Connecting now.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Because VGC is doubles only

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm actually not able to trade until like 6 EST. I thought I'd be able to connect to the network here but my DS isn't doing so. Can you save it? If not it's totally fine. Sorry!

I can save it! Just send me a PM (if you have it) when you are online and ready :)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sleep clause and evasion clause are good. also smash is more fun without items. cheers

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

shes right

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Note Block posted:

I currently have extra of the following:

11 Eevee - HA ability Anticipation, 2 Timid, 9 Modest (w/ 1 female), Ultra Ball
5 Goomy - 1 Hydration, 4 Sap Sipper, Calm, Beast Ball (potentially some perfect IVs)
3 Cubone - Lightning Rod, Jolly, Beast Ball
2 Grimer - HA ability Power of Alchemy, poo poo natures, Shadow Sneak and Curse egg moves, Luxury Ball
2 Feebas - Swift Swim, Bold, Dragon Breath and Pulse egg moves, Dive Ball (can trade w/ Prism Scale for Milotic evo if you provide one back)
2 Ditto - 1 Timid and 1 Modest
1 Kadabra - Syncronize, Modest (will turn in to Alakazam on trade)

Please let me know if you'd like anything!

I would love a modest Eevee, if there's one with a nickname I'll take that. FC is 1075-0796-7247, 3DS name: Chiller, pkmn name: John

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Every time I remember vgc doesn't have sleep clause but does have item clause I make the Jackie Chan face

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
When it comes to chaining for perfect IV Dittos, about how long should I build the chain to? Is there a point in going 40+? Is a 6 IV Ditto even possible this way, or is 4 typically the best you're going to get (I have two of these so far)?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ruggington posted:

shes right

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Here's a question, is there any way to access your PC Box from the Festival Plaza?

Chill Penguin posted:

I would love a modest Eevee, if there's one with a nickname I'll take that. FC is 1075-0796-7247, 3DS name: Chiller, pkmn name: John

I can name it whatever you'd like, unless you'd rather have a random nickname. :)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Thank you both for the trade.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
You name it! I'm still going through the story so i don't have much to offer, unless you want like, a Litten or a female Salandit.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Thanks for the trades!

notoriousman posted:

When it comes to chaining for perfect IV Dittos, about how long should I build the chain to? Is there a point in going 40+? Is a 6 IV Ditto even possible this way, or is 4 typically the best you're going to get (I have two of these so far)?
It stacks to 4 guaranteed ones, the other 2 will be random, so it's technically possible to find a 6IV one, and certainly 5IV ones shouldn't be too hard to find. I believe it caps out at 40 chain, so no need to keep chaining much longer than that at least.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I dunno man people have had that community long before Gamefreak/Nintendo even thought to actually embrace tournaments and poo poo

That said, the weird sniping and looking down the nose at VGC players I've seen (not in this thread, mind) since I've started reading about strategy and builds and everything while trying to jump into VGC 2017 is really fascinating to me. If you took every one of these at face value you'd think there's a billion players who would faceroll their way to a World Championship if they deigned to play it, which comes across to me as people in a subculture not dealing well with something that was previously underground coming into light

What is a sleep clause btw? Sleep moves just disallowed straight up? Fewer turns of sleep?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Countblanc posted:

Every time I remember vgc doesn't have sleep clause but does have item clause I make the Jackie Chan face

Never forget Smeargle + Dark Void.

:rip:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

If only real barn owlets were that cute.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think people get the wrong idea about Smogon from hearing other people talk about them. Oftentimes their tier list changes are talked about like they're edicts getting passed on the whole community, when it reality it's just one forum full of spergs who all have an idea of how they want to play the game competitively and want to play with people who agree with them. None of that appeals to me personally but I don't think it's their fault that their tier lists get brought up as much as they do outside of Smogon. It's a good resource for moveset ideas though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Waffles Inc. posted:

I dunno man people have had that community long before Gamefreak/Nintendo even thought to actually embrace tournaments and poo poo

That said, the weird sniping and looking down the nose at VGC players I've seen (not in this thread, mind) since I've started reading about strategy and builds and everything while trying to jump into VGC 2017 is really fascinating to me. If you took every one of these at face value you'd think there's a billion players who would faceroll their way to a World Championship if they deigned to play it, which comes across to me as people in a subculture not dealing well with something that was previously underground coming into light

Yeah agreed on both counts. Maybe the best players in the world ARE singles players, idk, but even if that were true there's not really anything to gain from boasting about it unless you're one of those 5-10 people. I mean I see it in other smack communities I'm a part of, it's silly

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

oddium posted:

sleep clause and evasion clause are good. also smash is more fun without items. cheers

Both of those things are fine and have been around for a long rear end time, it's some of the other things that are hugely suspect about how Smogon operates especially since gen 5.

Deified Data posted:

I think people get the wrong idea about Smogon from hearing other people talk about them. Oftentimes their tier list changes are talked about like they're edicts getting passed on the whole community, when it reality it's just one forum full of spergs who all have an idea of how they want to play the game competitively and want to play with people who agree with them. None of that appeals to me personally but I don't think it's their fault that their tier lists get brought up as much as they do outside of Smogon. It's a good resource for moveset ideas though.

This would be fine if it were possible to play with rules that aren't either VGC or Smogon. And when VGC is hot garbage like this past year was with its primals and legendaries and whatnot, well...

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 29, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Checking Bulbapedia, is Ice Hammer not one of Crabominable's base moves? Can he even learn it if your Crabrawler levels past 37 before it evolves (and it will)?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

Both of those things are fine and have been around for a long rear end time, it's some of the other things that are hugely suspect about how Smogon operates especially since gen 5.

This would be fine if it were possible to play with rules that aren't either VGC or Smogon. And when VGC is hot garbage like this past year was with its primals and legendaries and whatnot, well...

The only other community I've been a part of that's even remotely like something like Smogon or VGC is a tabletop minis game called Heroclix and it's kinda the same as the VGC, where if you look at the top 4 of every Worlds going back a few years it's some composition of the same figures just like Poke VGC

Any game is going to develop a set of strategies over time--I think the degree to which the game makers/community are reactionary about imposing parity is what differs.

Gamefreak clearly cares less about those sorts of things than does, say, Smogon. This generation does seem like the first one where they're prepping players within the game itself (and within the official literature--there's whole sections in the official strat guide I have about VGC Doubles battling) for VGC competition. That and creating Pokemon explicitly for doubles interactions (Passimian and Oranguru come to mind)

So who knows how reactionary they'll be going forward, but there's precedent for nerfing things early and often--fighting game companies do it

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Dizz posted:

Sure, I don't mind a fast trade evo.

Added everyone, I will still be on for a good 30 minutes and then return later today.

I think I'm trading with you right now? Anyway I don't have any trade evos so i can send back this Alakazam for ya

e: VV Note Block I'll link with you after I finish with Dizz

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 29, 2016

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chill Penguin posted:

You name it! I'm still going through the story so i don't have much to offer, unless you want like, a Litten or a female Salandit.

Ok! I'm ready and online now.

I don't have a Barboach, Sableye, Sandshrew, Shellder, Staryu, Vanillish, or oddly enough, Weedle. If you can trade one of those, I would appreciate it, otherwise, anything is fine!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Deified Data posted:

Checking Bulbapedia, is Ice Hammer not one of Crabominable's base moves? Can he even learn it if your Crabrawler levels past 37 before it evolves (and it will)?

Via the move relearner.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's always been Doubles oriented pokemon, they've just generally sucked. Plusle and Minun being the poster children for this

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

oddium posted:

also smash is more fun without items. cheers
The only items that are stupid are the ones that instakill (stupid grabby alien one) or ones that give you an additional score point for doing nothing (the flag)
everything else is great and I will not hear them being slandered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
LOL "Star Jones" the Staryu

Thank you Chill Penguin! Ennakointi means "anticipation" in Finnish, Anticipation being the HA for Eevee.