Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

bawfuls posted:

Is this supposed to be good? This year the 20th best qualified 1B in baseball by wRC+ was Yonder Alonso with 88. #19 was Hosmer with 101. Both players were worth negative WAR. Those are not the kind of numbers you want from a 1B on a contending team.

Danny Valencia's wRC+ was 118 last year, which puts him in the middle of the pack for 1st basemen. For reference, Jose Abreu had the same wRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Also it's looking increasingly likely Yuli Gurriel is the everyday 1B next season, either that or LF, and he sported a healthy wRC+ of 82 :barf:

(small sample size of 137 PA)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CESPEDES

this owns so much. keeping Walker PLUS Yo PLUS hopefully the full rotation getting back to speed is fantastic. I love Cespedes, dude finally got his big contract in a place he loves.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Boy are the white sox dumb as poo poo

Like I get not wanting to trade with the Cubs. But jesus christ do you not literally tell them that. The Cubs are one of the few teams in MLB who's farm system and MLB squad has the resources to offer for a realistic shot at Sale.

Even if you know you won't trade him to them, you should at least keep them around as leverage to the other NL teams.

I don't think the Cubs have a good enough farm system to get Sale. Still this is Reinsdorf being a dummy again.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Maybe if they still had Torres :v:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
OOTP 17 is available for a dollar on Humble Bundle

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Which was worse, Boston giving up Babe Ruth to the Yankees or the Cubs trading Torres to the Yankees?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Now you can hug your prospects virtually!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

Now you can hug your prospects virtually!

would a team of chapmans or a team of gleyber torreses get more world series titles?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Imagine four prospects lined up on the edge of a cliff. The first one falls off and is replaced in the back by Aroldis Chapman

Baseball works the same way

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Mets.... spent money?

I guess they re-allocated the Tebow arbitration-years money.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Poque posted:

would a team of chapmans or a team of gleyber torreses get more world series titles?

Torresses.

Team of Chapman's couldn't survive the 30 game domestic violence suspensions.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Is this supposed to be good? This year the 20th best qualified 1B in baseball by wRC+ was Yonder Alonso with 88. #19 was Hosmer with 101. Both players were worth negative WAR. Those are not the kind of numbers you want from a 1B on a contending team.

Yeah whoops, I was still in fantasy football mode when I was looking at the stats and forgot that top-20 in baseball ain't worth poo poo for position players.

Intruder posted:

Also it's looking increasingly likely Yuli Gurriel is the everyday 1B next season, either that or LF, and he sported a healthy wRC+ of 82 :barf:

(small sample size of 137 PA)

I would say give him a chance. The guy had completely figured out Cuban pitching, but it always takes guys a bit to adjust to the bigs.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 29, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Intruder posted:

Something outrageous like Soler/Happ/Jiminez/Candelario would probably do it but good work outright saying you won't deal with the Cubs because reasons

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I mean I was being tongue in cheek anyway

Seeing a lot of people talk about packaging Bregman and a few others (maybe Musgrove or Martes and then a few other pieces) for Sale and while having Sale would be pretty drat sweet, Bregman.... :smith:

I'd still do the deal as long as you don't have to include both of Musgrove and Martes I guess

Something like Bregman/Musgrove/Fisher/Whitley or Bregman/Musgrove/K Tucker

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Also with Cespedes off the market Fowler is now the best FA outfielder available but with a QO attached I have to change up what I think he'll get to $16MM AAV and something like 5/80 with the last year being an option and perhaps an opt out after 2.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CubsWoo posted:

Also with Cespedes off the market Fowler is now the best FA outfielder available but with a QO attached I have to change up what I think he'll get to $16MM AAV and something like 5/80 with the last year being an option and perhaps an opt out after 2.

I thought that the Cubs didn't offer Fowler a QO this year to help him find a team?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Fowler from June 1 and on in 2016: 250/366/391

Dexter Fowler 2015: 250/346/411

But NOW he's worth a really good contract somewhere.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dexo posted:

Boy are the white sox dumb as poo poo

Like I get not wanting to trade with the Cubs. But jesus christ do you not literally tell them that. The Cubs are one of the few teams in MLB who's farm system and MLB squad has the resources to offer for a realistic shot at Sale.

Even if you know you won't trade him to them, you should at least keep them around as leverage to the other NL teams.

lol. The whole Cubs Hate thing penetrates the whole organization. White Sox fans care 100x more about the Cubs than the Cubs do about the White Sox. Especially now that the Cubs have won a series too, the Sox will be more and more the little brother who desperately tries to seek attention.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

bad boy in the boy band posted:

lol. The whole Cubs Hate thing penetrates the whole organization. White Sox fans care 100x more about the Cubs than the Cubs do about the White Sox. Especially now that the Cubs have won a series too, the Sox will be more and more the little brother who desperately tries to seek attention.

This is why I'm hoping for a rebuild from the Sox this offseason. The Indians look great so the Sox aren't going to be winning the division anytime soon, and there's no way they're winning over fans in Chicago right now. Stop trying to reload with aging veterans and just accept an awful season or two. I don't think it makes a difference in the short term.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

white sox are total geeks, as if the whole "we lost a LEADER in drake laroche" fiasco wasn't proof enough, now your ace is a nutjob headcase who goes to bizarre lengths to not wear a loving throwback jersey. I would trade that dumb gently caress first chance I got, christ sake he makes zach greinke look well-adjusted.

honestly a team that hangs up the jersey of a 14 yr old who was their beloved mascot is so broken brained that they can't begin to hope comparing themselves to the team of destiny across the city

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

white sox are total geeks, as if the whole "we lost a LEADER in drake laroche" fiasco wasn't proof enough, now your ace is a nutjob headcase who goes to bizarre lengths to not wear a loving throwback jersey. I would trade that dumb gently caress first chance I got, christ sake he makes zach greinke look well-adjusted.

honestly a team that hangs up the jersey of a 14 yr old who was their beloved mascot is so broken brained that they can't begin to hope comparing themselves to the team of destiny across the city

Agreed, unload him to the Astros for whatever peanuts you can get

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Intruder posted:

Agreed, unload him to the Astros for whatever peanuts you can get

dodgers or nationals seems more likely

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nah, make his immature rear end suffer and send him to Houston

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought that the Cubs didn't offer Fowler a QO this year to help him find a team?

They were expected not to, but no-one really knows if that's just because there was a baseless rumour they weren't going to, or if there was some sort of agreement in place with Fowler which the team then went back upon.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
keep Chris Sale out of the NL East please. Thanks.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Cespedes owns.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Cespedes owns.

I'm saving this post for his first slump of 2016.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Cubs just signed Jon Jay to a one year deal, so I guess goodbye Dex. :(

At least Jay always seemed to mash at Wrigley. He'll also join the KB and Rizzo HBP patrol.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

Something outrageous like Soler/Happ/Jiminez/Candelario would probably do it but good work outright saying you won't deal with the Cubs because reasons

I don't think that gets it done. Can't fathom any trade with the Cubs that didn't include Schwarber and/or Baez in it in some capacity. Sale is under control at a reasonable price for 3 more years. If the Sox are trading him, they are going to want prospects with superstar potential. Someone like Moncada from Boston.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Well, the Cubs signed Jon Jay for some reason. I guess he'll platoon with Almora. So, between them, we're basically getting 2015 Dexter Fowler if things go well.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Julio Cruz posted:

Hell yes. 4/$110 million apparently.

I wonder what EE will get.

I feel like the Jays are going to make a signing, and I'm going to get excited, and it's going to be Jay Bruce.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Am I crazy for being 100% willing to give up Baez and those dudes for Sale with no hesitation

I feel like it shouldn't be that easy to give Baez up.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

tadashi posted:

Well, the Cubs signed Jon Jay for some reason. I guess he'll platoon with Almora. So, between them, we're basically getting 2015 Dexter Fowler if things go well.

Could very easily just be a one year play to allow a young Almora to go down and start everyday in AAA, wreck some poo poo and build up his confidence, and then come back to full time in '18.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Poque posted:

Cubs just signed Jon Jay to a one year deal, so I guess goodbye Dex. :(

At least Jay always seemed to mash at Wrigley. He'll also join the KB and Rizzo HBP patrol.

I like the signing (assuming Fowler is getting a big multi-year deal elsewhere). Didn't trust handing CF over to Almora full-time. I'm guessing he'll platoon with Almora and hit at the top of the lineup. Probably the best they could do on a short term deal.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Yeah with Jay signing (and if reports are correct it's a 1 year $8MM deal) Dex is gone. Assuming no further moves I'm thinking the opening day lineup (and we stick with a 25 man roster with 12 pitchers) looks like this:

Rizzo
Baez
Russell
Bryant
Montero
Contreras
Zobrist
Jay
Heyward
Schwarber
Szczur
Soler
La Stella

Lester
Arrieta
Hendricks
Lackey
Montgomery

Rondon
Strop
Edwards Jr.
Grimm
Zastryzny
Pena
Rosscup or Buchanan

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

tadashi posted:

Good for Jon. Congrats Cubs fans, he's a really cool guy who makes circus catches and is legitimately a great guy by all accounts. I'm annoyed he's playing for the Cubs but happy that he's on a good team and getting paid decent money.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That'd mean a bit of a dropoff in payroll for the Cubs this year. Wonder if they'll make a deal for a semi-expensive bullpen arm or something still. Or hoarding cash for next offseason to make a splash for a starter.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Pancakes posted:

Good for Jon. Congrats Cubs fans, he's a really cool guy who makes circus catches and is legitimately a great guy by all accounts. I'm annoyed he's playing for the Cubs but happy that he's on a good team and getting paid decent money.

:same:

Maybe now that the Cubs are surely out on Fowler, the Cardinals can get him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I forgot, Jay also gets HBP at Rizzolike levels. I smell a clubhouse competition!

• Locked thread