Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

get the new one, with heated grips and self cancelling turn signals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Dark horse candidate: VFR1200?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Z3n posted:

Dark horse candidate: VFR1200?

They haven't quite fallen into my price range yet, at least not within a few hundred miles of me.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Ok guys i need some advice. I have a gen 1 sv650 that I love. It's sightly tall for me (but I do fine) and it's fuel injected. Ie: it's not perfect but it does what I ask it to just fine. Enter er6n http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcy/5874822616.html

This fucker is too cheap to ignore but if i feel less power in it I'm going to be sad (that will be discovered in the test ride). I know that on paper, the sv650 is quicker, we'll see.

Is there anything i should know about these 2 bikes that could lead to a regretful buy? Like is the ninja a bitch to work on? Do they have a common issue I should look out for? The sv650 has stupid good front wheel traction compared to past bikes I've had: can the same be said for the ninja? I ride in the rain

One thing I look for in a bike is reliability in both accidents and use. Is this something I won't find in the ninja?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I didn't realize Gen1 SVs are EFI.

The ER6N is a fine bike for a boring commuter but you probably will like your SV better. Vee > Pee

Good price tho if it's been serviced. That's a pregen ninja price for a lot newer and more bike.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

clutchpuck posted:

I didn't realize Gen1 SVs are EFI.

The ER6N is a fine bike for a boring commuter but you probably will like your SV better. Vee > Pee

Good price tho if it's been serviced. That's a pregen ninja price for a lot newer and more bike.

Sv650 is carbed sorry. Ninja is efi

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Double post my bad

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

SV is EFI after like 2004

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Verge posted:

Ok guys i need some advice. I have a gen 1 sv650 that I love. It's sightly tall for me (but I do fine) and it's fuel injected. Ie: it's not perfect but it does what I ask it to just fine. Enter er6n http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcy/5874822616.html

This fucker is too cheap to ignore but if i feel less power in it I'm going to be sad (that will be discovered in the test ride). I know that on paper, the sv650 is quicker, we'll see.

Is there anything i should know about these 2 bikes that could lead to a regretful buy? Like is the ninja a bitch to work on? Do they have a common issue I should look out for? The sv650 has stupid good front wheel traction compared to past bikes I've had: can the same be said for the ninja? I ride in the rain

One thing I look for in a bike is reliability in both accidents and use. Is this something I won't find in the ninja?
There's really no reason to buy an ER6 if you have an SV650, or vice versa. Apart from the neverending debate of parallell vs V twins, they're very similar bikes. Cheap, reliable, easy to maintain. Just like the SV, the main weak point is the cheap front suspension.

That said, it's a really good price for a 2009 ER6 and if you're just looking to try the grass on the other side of the fence it's not a bad buy.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Thank you guys. I'm gonna stay away from it. No reason to disappoint myself. I just want the farkles, FI. I can wait for something better

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

They haven't quite fallen into my price range yet, at least not within a few hundred miles of me.

I did a lot of research into the VFR1200 over the summer, and I would be concerned about parts availability. I'm sure that everything is available, but may have to come from the Honda mothership in Japan since nobody stocks them (because nobody bought the VFR1200). There's a 2010 dealer demo about 20 miles from me with 4500 miles on it that they're currently asking $8900 for and it's been on Craigslist for the last 5 years.

I say Blackbird just because they are awesome and I miss mine. I did buy a Sprint ST 1050i, and at 6'2" it's a lot more comfortable than the Blackbird was.

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003
Sooo, I went and did something silly. I tested out a KTM 1290 Super Duke R and now in my garage is an over night loaner S1000R from BMW. I can't decide as both bikes are so good but very different. I feel like BMW will be the better commuter, I do around 100km a day (80% freeway and about 20% city and filtering) it's just so composed regardless of what you do and the bike is like riding a guided missile. On the other hand my god that V-Twin is wicked and the bike makes you laugh like an idiot inside your helmet but I'm not convinced the Duke is the better motorway cruiser or that it's worth the $6k AUD more it will cost me.

I should never have ridden the both and just lived in ignorant bliss. Has anyone had both as a commuter or at all and can help me decide?

KillaZilla fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 2, 2016

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

KillaZilla posted:

Sooo, I went and did something silly. I tested out a KTM 1290 Super Duke R and now in my garage is an over night loaner S1000R from BMW. I can't decide as both bikes are so good but very different. I feel like BMW will be the better commuter, I do around 100km a day (80% freeway and about 20% city and filtering) it's just so composed regardless of what you do and the bike is like riding a guided missile. On the other hand my god that V-Twin is wicked and the bike makes you laugh like an idiot inside your helmet but I'm not convinced the Duke is the better motorway cruiser or that it's worth the $6k AUD more it will cost me.

I should never have ridden the both and just lived in ignorant bliss. Has anyone had both as a commuter or at all and can help me decide?

Go with your gut bro. Go with the one that feels right.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This afternoon I'm going to go look at a 2007 FJR1300 with 40k miles on it and the only aftermarket stuff on it is a top case that I can see http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Waynesburg-Yamaha-2890266/listing/2007-Yamaha-FJR-1300A-119023040

I was planning to spend closer to $4k on a replacement bike but I saw this, a Connie, and an ST1300 and now I want them all, so I'm looking at each one of them on a different day this weekend because of loving course each one is in a different direction from the city, and there's only so much sitting in traffic I can stand in a day. Well, I have to look at two tomorrow, because Pennsylvania and Sunday vehicle sales go together like mustard and toothpaste.

I know the three bikes are pretty much the same, but does anyone have any opinions on one of them over the other two? I've seen a couple Connies and FJRs, even in my shithole neighborhood, but I don't think I've ever seen an ST1300 in person.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

KillaZilla posted:

zthreen had both an S1000XR for commuting and a 1290SD as his track bike. He's selling the 1290 because he's not doing enough track days lately, but he's still keeping the BMW for commuting.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Okay I'm bad at this... I bought the FJR without checking out the other two... It was just so nice. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, it has WV inspection and needs PA so that had to get done and my wife doesn't like really short notice to go on a 100 mile drive, etc.

$5788 or so OTD, leaving me with $2k from the 04 VFR bring written off.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

PCOS Bill posted:

Okay I'm bad at this... I bought the FJR without checking out the other two... It was just so nice. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, it has WV inspection and needs PA so that had to get done and my wife doesn't like really short notice to go on a 100 mile drive, etc.

$5788 or so OTD, leaving me with $2k from the 04 VFR bring written off.

Congrats, I heard they-like the Concours-are super comfy sport tourers with a neato aftermarket, plenty of power to poo poo-n-get and are generally refined easy to maintain (hard to wash) bikes. If you're in PA after the thaw we should ride sometime. Never been on an FJR, but been on Concours before. I wanna see if there is a difference worth writing home about.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
as I just posted in the other thread, I loved my FJRs - an 04 and an 07 - but it's gonna feel really heavy compared to your VFR. If you notice it feels top heavy at low speed, try taking the top box off and comparing, I noticed it made a big difference on mine.

Transmission is a bit clunky, engine can sound like a sewing machine, and it's a heavy bike. The stock windscreen caused a bit of buffeting, but the Cee Bailey windscreen the PO bought for winter riding cleaned it up completely. Those are really the only complaints I could come up with.

Put gas in it, change the oil + pumpkin goo when you're supposed to, and it will run forever while chewing through rear tires at a semi-brisk pace (some of the new compounds like the PR4 may help a lot with this issue).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KillaZilla posted:

The S1000R position was untenable for me (thusly the XR), but the bike is a fantastic all arounder that you can't go wrong with. The SD is much more manual, much more performance oriented, being a crazy bike that also happens to be a very effective commuter, whereas the BMW is a commuter that happens to also be a crazy bike.

Look at those 2 factors and how you feel about the 6k and the answer should become pretty clear.

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003

Z3n posted:

The S1000R position was untenable for me (thusly the XR), but the bike is a fantastic all arounder that you can't go wrong with. The SD is much more manual, much more performance oriented, being a crazy bike that also happens to be a very effective commuter, whereas the BMW is a commuter that happens to also be a crazy bike.

Look at those 2 factors and how you feel about the 6k and the answer should become pretty clear.

For me the SD leg position was better than the BMW but I liked the controls and handle bar ergonomics of the BMW a lot more. Also the SD switches and buttons felt a bit cheap to me and I found them less intuitive position wise. The KTM dealer I went to only had a 2014 second hand bike on the lot for me to test and now I am starting to wonder if the bike had maybe been thrashed endlessly because of the difference in how precise and smooth the S1000r was to the SD.

I expected the SD to be wild but when you really got on it the rear of the bike felt like it was walking all over the place no matter how smooth you rolled on. The S1000R on the other hand has to be one of the most confidence inspiring bikes ever, I put in a couple of hours blasting around twisties and over some pretty B grade roads and not once did I think this bike is borderline out of control which is how I felt about the duke when I pushed it as hard on the same roads.

I am going to try and find a KTM dealer with a proper demo bike but at this point I'm starting to think I might pick up a 2016 S1000r now as a commuter and then revisit the 2017 SD when it finally goes on sale. Dealers are telling me mid next year anyway and I can't wait that long because I sold my old commute bike so my daily run is being done on my weekend/track toy CBR 600RR Repsol, I would prefer not to put super high mileage on this bike and it's probably not road legal with a full arrow race exhaust and no baffles, also peeps keep walking up to it and trying to take photos on the drat thing, I'm waiting to come back to no bike one day :(

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Revvik posted:

@Endbuster:
Oh look all your problems have been solved.

Hey wtf is this by the way? 690 supermoto with different fender?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Endbuster posted:

Pretty sure that's a honda blackbird.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Endbuster posted:

990 smt

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Endbuster posted:

990 SMT yeah. It's a bike that makes no sense and is great for it.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Pretty sure that's a honda blackbird.

Oh right, the KTM nighthawk.

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003
Ugh, after deciding to get the BMW S1000R in red the dealer kindly informs me that there are no new red or white ones left in the country and my choices are black, wait until the 2017 model lands which could be as late as April at this point or get a used one.

So since I can't get either bike I want for 5+ months I need some recommendations for an interim decent fun commute bike. I would happily grab a DRZ400 / 690SMC or something but I don't think 40+ minutes on the motorway is going to be fun on one. Maybe an SV650 or CB650 would be a decent option? I'm 6'2 so it can't be some tiny cramped thing.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
FWIW, the 690smc is as comfortable, or more comfortable, on the highway, as the naked SV650. Fairings, of course, change everything.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

KillaZilla posted:

Ugh, after deciding to get the BMW S1000R in red the dealer kindly informs me that there are no new red or white ones left in the country and my choices are black, wait until the 2017 model lands which could be as late as April at this point or get a used one.

So since I can't get either bike I want for 5+ months I need some recommendations for an interim decent fun commute bike. I would happily grab a DRZ400 / 690SMC or something but I don't think 40+ minutes on the motorway is going to be fun on one. Maybe an SV650 or CB650 would be a decent option? I'm 6'2 so it can't be some tiny cramped thing.

I'm pretty sure he is full of poo poo/lazy and just wants to sell you a new 2017 because it'll be far more expensive for you and profitable for him. If you were on the phone or whatever and you said, "wellp okay sounds good I'll buy one in 5 months" I would hang up and :lol:

Sounds like your dealer is lazy, or firmly believes in you to be an easy sell on a 2017.

EDIT:

Here is a brand new Red BMW s1000r http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Battley-Harley-Davidson-%2F-Battley-Cycles-702729/listing/2016-BMW-S-1000-R-118368113

And another http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Morton%27s-BMW-Motorcycles-3008390/listing/2016-BMW-S-1000-R-116257467

And yet another http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Montgomeryville-Cycle-Center-2652116/listing/2016-BMW-S-1000-R-119896393

Those are all new bikes. Some at BMW dealers. Tell your dealer he is a shithead.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 5, 2016

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003

Endbuster posted:

I'm pretty sure he is full of poo poo/lazy and just wants to sell you a new 2017 because it'll be far more expensive for you and profitable for him. If you were on the phone or whatever and you said, "wellp okay sounds good I'll buy one in 5 months" I would hang up and :lol:

Sounds like your dealer is lazy, or firmly believes in you to be an easy sell on a 2017.

Nah, I have spoken to another dealer here in Australia and he said the only colour left in the main warehouse is black so unless a dealer has a red one on the showroom floor I'm SOL.

Normally the wait wouldn't bother me given that with the 2017 model I can order forged wheels, the new quick shifter and get a better ABS system but I'm not enjoying parking my other much more expensive caged toy at the bus stop right now and my commute time has doubled.

KillaZilla fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 5, 2016

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

KillaZilla posted:

Nah, I have spoken to another dealer here in Australia and he said the only colour left in the main warehouse is black so unless a dealer has a red one on the showroom floor
I'm SOL.

Normally the wait wouldn't bother me given that with the 2017 model I can order forged wheels, the new quick shifter and get a better ABS system but I'm not enjoying parking my other much more expensive caged toy at the bus stop right now and my commute time has doubled.

Oh laaaaaaaaaame. Sorry I assumed you were US because its peak America time, so when we aren't busy jamming jamming burgers into our face we make hasty posts about lovely dealership tactics we've dealt with in the past and project haaaaaaaard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KillaZilla posted:

Nah, I have spoken to another dealer here in Australia and he said the only colour left in the main warehouse is black so unless a dealer has a red one on the showroom floor I'm SOL.

Tell him you'll get the black one if he knocks off $500 for vinyl-wrapping it red.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

I found out that there is a KTM dealership in my town. (actual legit wtf surprise moment) So I ride out there today to see what they have, see if any deals are there... etc.

The owner greets me and I think I recognize him. He asks me what I'm lookin' for, makes fun of my Ducati.

Tell him I'm lookin' for an 1190 or 1290 or 1090 when he gets his 2017 stuff in. Tell him I'll look at a 690 Enduro R if he has one (he doesn't).

Guy starts askin' me how I found the shop, tell him I've been looking around at ADV bikes that can tour long distances on highway as a primary function and scoot offroad easily as a secondary function blah blah blah.

Then it dawns on me, I know this guy. This is the shitlord that used to own the Honda dealership... The same guy when I took my CBR1000F in for service wanted to talk shop with me and said the Blackbird was built to compete with the Hayabusa (it's the other way around) and called my Hurricane a POS compared to the 900RR since they are the same model year but bikes built for completely different purposes. This is the dude that told me I was should have never sold my first bike because "you're supposed to keep those." Then when I told him it was a loving Buell Blast and that's stupid anyway also made fun of the pig bike, then told me I should have gotten one of the Rotax powered Firebolts (those don't exist heh, I didn't feel like correcting him).

THAT FUCKIN GUY literally had to tell me that every single thing I said was wrong, a bad idea, or inferior.

I wanted to ask him if he was being a dick to me because he thought I hosed his old lady. At this point, I ought to.

Anyway, 15k for a 2016 1290S (demo bike) or 13k/13.5k OTD for a 2016 1190S/1190R was the *best* he could do.

At least the bastard said I could come back and test ride poo poo if I want to. Ohyeah also fuckin' made fun of me wanting to turn the 690R into a more adventure style bike if I liked it. What a fuckin' deeeeeick.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Endbuster posted:

Ohyeah also fuckin' made fun of me wanting to turn the 690R into a more adventure style bike if I liked it. What a fuckin' deeeeeick.

Because, you know, who wants a bike perfect for adventure riding when they go adventure riding.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Shimrod posted:

Because, you know, who wants a bike perfect for adventure riding when they go adventure riding.

"Call me when you guys get a Husky701 or a 690R in"

--"I thought you wanted an Adventure Bike to cross country on"

"I do, if the new one is as smooth as they say it is, I know how to customize it for highway comfort without sacrificing any of its dirt ability. Seen lots of them hopped up for that, but I need to ride one first. Might take that over the big adventure bikes."

--"Yeah, its not going to be as good as the 1190/1290, man you're silly for wanting to use a 690R for that" *rolls eyes at me*

"..."

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 8, 2016

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
On the one hand, I want to see more growth and interest in motorcycles. On the other, gently caress dealerships for lovely behavior like that.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Endbuster posted:

"Call me when you guys get a Husky701 or a 690R in"

--"I thought you wanted an Adventure Bike to cross country on"

"I do, if the new one is as smooth as they say it is, I know how to customize it for highway comfort without sacrificing any of its dirt ability. Seen lots of them hopped up for that, but I need to ride one first. Might take that over the big adventure bikes."

--"Yeah, its not going to be as good as the 1190/1290, man you're silly for wanting to use a 690R for that" *rolls eyes at me*

"..."

Just to be clear though, the 2017 690 will NOT get the smoother engine, only the 701. Not that the old engine is a paint shaker by any means.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Unfortunately lovely dealerships will always be around because the majority of buyers fall for that bullshit.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

High Protein posted:

Just to be clear though, the 2017 690 will NOT get the smoother engine, only the 701. Not that the old engine is a paint shaker by any means.

Aww. Well whatever, he didn't even have one I could sit on.

Collateral Damage posted:

Unfortunately lovely dealerships will always be around because the majority of buyers fall for that bullshit.

Yeah and what sucks is I'm pretty sold on the comfort of the big KTMs. Like I will probably come back to this rear end in a top hat in the spring and have to wheel and deal with his retarded rear end.

Ohyeah, literally nothing on the floor had a price tag. NOTHING. How in the gently caress do you sell bikes without a reference point for joe-blow off the street that didn't come in with a stenographer's pad full of MSRP for all the different makes and models. Like what the actual gently caress.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I first started to ride, Honda had just started selling the new single-cylinder CBR250 and I went to a dealership to check them out. I had read all the stuff on the internet about starting on something small and knew I was going to get something in that range. The salesman told me it was a "chick bike" and that, as a man, I could "handle" the CBR600RR over here and wouldn't "get bored quickly". When I continued to press on the 250 he drifted away and I never saw him again.

:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Endbuster posted:

yall don't understand windshields are boss
Right on! I too dig the experience of being a human mizzenmast while grooving to Carpenters 8-tracks and operating my bike like an attack dog trainer. There's also ample storage for my old lady's gum wrapper purse and a six pack of Tab. Peace.