Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
So anyone else floored by the SSSS artist teaching herself how to code in C# all by her lonesome on top of updating her full-color webcomic 4 times a week in order to make her own video-game I mean jesus christ what did she trade Satan for that kind of stamina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
From the website's blog:

quote:

Now why did I decide to do this? Frankly, I've always planned on "eventually" slowing down to 4 pages a week, because while 5 pages is doable it's quite exhausting in the long run. Each page takes me about 15-16 hours to finish, so my typical work schedule for the last few years has been almost 80 hours/week just to draw the comic pages. It's a bit of a grind sometimes, especially during chapters that span over several months on end.

I honestly love making the comic though, which is why I've held off on moving to 4 pages/week for so long even though I could have slowed down ages ago, but the thing that has started bothering me more and more is: I have almost no time left in the week for any sort of side projects. And I want to have time for side projects! It is time that I make the time, hence this decision.

:stare: This is a person who thinks doing 60 hours a week of work on one project, and an extra day on a different project (that requires learning a new skill from scratch!) is slowing down.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

So anyone else floored by the SSSS artist teaching herself how to code in C# all by her lonesome on top of updating her full-color webcomic 4 times a week in order to make her own video-game I mean jesus christ what did she trade Satan for that kind of stamina?

Forget stamina, she must have wrists of tungsten to be able to draw that much at that level of detail.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
When you say "I want to be a mangaka when I grow up!" and really loving mean it

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I was going to ask if the comic was her main job but then I saw that it takes her around 15 hours to finish a comic and she's been spending 80 hours a week every week for the past few years doing this and suddenly it seemed like a silly question.

Holy poo poo. :stare:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

This guy raises a lot of questions just by existing. He seems to be a long tailed opossum, not a short tailed. I would have expected there to be a few short tail families of wealth and prestige, given Our Boy Freddy, but a long tail comes as a surprise. I'm curious how his family overcame both institutional disadvantage and sheer lifespan disadvantage to hack it in upper crust society.

Not to say it's implausible, I just think it's ~interesting worldbuilding~

I didn't know there were ethnicities of animal people to keep track of within species. I would of thought with orders of magnitude more species to keep track of than races in the real world, there wouldn't be that much room to find meaning for intra-species differences.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

SlothfulCobra posted:

I didn't know there were ethnicities of animal people to keep track of within species. I would of thought with orders of magnitude more species to keep track of than races in the real world, there wouldn't be that much room to find meaning for intra-species differences.
Short tailed opossums like Friedrich can use magic a bit, so they are treated as people... a bit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SlothfulCobra posted:

Short tailed opossums have SOME magic and buy the mainstream creation myth that lambasts the opossum goddess as an evil traitor. They're "the good ones" to a degree.

Given their whole society runs off magic that's also a big deal. Having any magic is way different than "literally antithetical to magic".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't know why it would be this conversation of all the dozens you guys have had about Poppy over the years, but it inspired me today to start reading the comic

Pretty good so far

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm 5 chapters in now and thoroughly hooked.

Can someone give me the lowdown on what happened with chapter 3? When/why did it get added?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm 5 chapters in now and thoroughly hooked.

Can someone give me the lowdown on what happened with chapter 3? When/why did it get added?

I believe it ran between (the current) Chapter 4 and Chapter 5, because Morbi needed to introduce some things that would come into play later, like the smuggler opossums and introducing Chicadino, or show some things like Lily's eye getting fixed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

I believe it ran between (the current) Chapter 4 and Chapter 5, because Morbi needed to introduce some things that would come into play later, like the smuggler opossums and introducing Chicadino, or show some things like Lily's eye getting fixed.

That's precisely it. It was pretty disorienting at the time. People reading nowadays are getting the way better version. I did a reread recently and it flows nicely.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I was asking because the Chicadino stuff seemed so crucial that I had a hard time imagining what it had been like going from 2 to what is now 4.

Also I love the name Chicadino it makes me chuckle every time

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I was asking because the Chicadino stuff seemed so crucial that I had a hard time imagining what it had been like going from 2 to what is now 4.

I really enjoy that, thus far, Chicadino is simply a pragmatic rear end in a top hat that is hyper conscious of the fact that wasting resources on petty grudges is a good way to ruin everything.

Still a horrible person, possibly even a monster if he's intentionally complicit in the poo poo alluded to in the recent intermission, but yeah. Good characterization.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure if he is a monster, considering how small potatoes the schemes we've seen so far. Sure, he was running an insurance scam and he's probably involved in the blood smuggling, but it's a long way from that to actually supplying the stuff or being involved with little miss eldritch horror. He's got his fingers (er, feathers) in a lot of unsavory pies, but more than anything he's just been trying to keep his head down while he does the books and keeps his money flowing in, and he's pretty charming about it to boot.

All we know is that he knows way more than he lets on.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure if he is a monster, considering how small potatoes the schemes we've seen so far. Sure, he was running an insurance scam and he's probably involved in the blood smuggling, but it's a long way from that to actually supplying the stuff or being involved with little miss eldritch horror. He's got his fingers (er, feathers) in a lot of unsavory pies, but more than anything he's just been trying to keep his head down while he does the books and keeps his money flowing in, and he's pretty charming about it to boot.

All we know is that he knows way more than he lets on.

His goons have been shown to consider murder as perfectly on the table in day to day business so lets not undersell the guy here.

How much of a bastard he is really depends on the depth of his involvement with Poda though.

Poda is horrifying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

He's clearly involved in some way with the destruction of the monastery, given that that was accomplished using the stolen god's blood and that he mentioned near the beginning of the comic that he was going to take over Fennecland soon and it was the destruction of Fennecland's supply of dragon's blood that allowed him to become Prime Minister.

Edit: Anyone want to start the countdown until Poppy punches Chicadino so hard his socks fly off?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 30, 2016

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Speeeeeaking of webcomics, I have a new one! So here I go, pimpin' my poo poo. Don't hate the player, hate the game!

My strip is called Kobayashi Maru, a satirical sci-fi/adventure comic comic poking fun at you-know-what-trek. If you enjoyed my comic Weapon Brown, ye might dig my new project as well.

I hope you'll let me know what you think!

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Regy Rusty posted:

Originally, the major events of the gang war chapter (Poppy meeting Chicadino, getting the debt resolved, introducing Charlie/Harley/Fazzi, etc.) was going to take place after the dragon one, but I realized partway through the chapter that it would make a lot more sense during the period where Poppy's arms were hosed up, so I could set up a few things in a more satisfying manner. I was also kind of stressed out at the time, and a big dumb jokey story was exactly what I needed.
I've been really glad to hear that most new readers never even notice it was added retroactively, better art aside.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Death Ray posted:

Speeeeeaking of webcomics, I have a new one! So here I go, pimpin' my poo poo. Don't hate the player, hate the game!

My strip is called Kobayashi Maru, a satirical sci-fi/adventure comic comic poking fun at you-know-what-trek. If you enjoyed my comic Weapon Brown, ye might dig my new project as well.

I hope you'll let me know what you think!

why is she naked

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I think they're actually both naked, he's just got stripey skin
Why are they both naked

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You guys have never read a Jason Yungbluth comic before, I take it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Forgall posted:

why is she naked

She was obviously waiting to use the showers, but the the shower stall was locked up, so she called the hamburglar to open it up, and both were surprised to find out it was occupied by kung-fu fighting skeletons.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 30, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Forgall posted:

why is she naked

you're asking the man who wrote a story where cyborg charlie brown had sex with little orphan annie in a post-apocalyptic wasteland why he drew people naked?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I mean, I don't mind. I'm just curious.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Wow that's a lot of casual racism / rape jokes when I check that site out.

Maybe cool it on the South Park marathons, mate.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Morbi posted:

Originally, the major events of the gang war chapter (Poppy meeting Chicadino, getting the debt resolved, introducing Charlie/Harley/Fazzi, etc.) was going to take place after the dragon one, but I realized partway through the chapter that it would make a lot more sense during the period where Poppy's arms were hosed up, so I could set up a few things in a more satisfying manner. I was also kind of stressed out at the time, and a big dumb jokey story was exactly what I needed.
I've been really glad to hear that most new readers never even notice it was added retroactively, better art aside.

Honestly if it weren't for the author notes at the bottom saying it was added later, I might not have noticed anything at all. It flowed quite naturally!

Anyway thanks for the explanation. I'm really enjoying your comic and expect I'll be finished catching up today.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Nuns with Guns posted:

you're asking the man who wrote a story where cyborg charlie brown had sex with little orphan annie in a post-apocalyptic wasteland why he drew people naked?

:psyduck:

what

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

look up weapon brown

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh poo poo he's the guy that did weapon brown? That thing was awesome! Super hosed up obviously, but a real page turner. Cracking art too.

e/ I just now noticed he says that in his post, in my defence I was reading on my tiny phone before and also have the stupid head from a wicked cold :downs:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 30, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I bought it in print along with some of the extras like development work. I'm still not sure how he can do it. My first thought upon seeing that page was, jeez, that's way too much detail you'll never be able to keep it up. Then I saw it was JY and I was like, never mind! Actually, it was the thumbnails for panel compositions which were my favorite part. He has a really good eye for it.

Got to say I'm not particularly keen on the content, but I felt the same way about Redtail's Dream and I bought that too :shrug:.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Agean90 posted:

look up weapon brown

I read a little of it and it seems like it owns, but that whole "loving little orphan Annie" thing has me wary of sticking with it.

I mean, I'm going to anyway because I never got to play Doom when I was younger and playing it recently opened my eyes to a whole new world of ultraviolence that I never knew existed, and this looks like it'll scratch that itch until I upgrade my pc to a level where I can play it again

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Cat Mattress posted:

She was obviously waiting to use the showers, but the the shower stall was locked up, so she called the hamburglar to open it up, and both were surprised to find out it was occupied by kung-fu fighting skeletons.

Um, thank you! I thought I made it clear, but people be all "I don't know a Hamburglar when I'm lookin' at one"!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

I read a little of it and it seems like it owns, but that whole "loving little orphan Annie" thing has me wary of sticking with it.

The Annie character is just a woman with blank eyes and curly hair, not an actual little orphan girl.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Straight White Shark posted:

The Annie character is just a woman with blank eyes and curly hair, not an actual little orphan girl.

Yeah there's plenty of hosed up things happening in WB, but it is an adult woman named Annie.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Clarissa, on the hand, is like ten or something

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Just Offscreen posted:

Yeah there's plenty of hosed up things happening in WB, but it is an adult woman named Annie.

She's an adult alt-reality version of little orphan annie, same as the other comic strip children in weapon brown

Not So Fast posted:

Wow that's a lot of casual racism / rape jokes when I check that site out.

Maybe cool it on the South Park marathons, mate.

Welome to hell, aka underground comix

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

She's an adult alt-reality version of little orphan annie, same as the other comic strip children in weapon brown

Welome to hell, aka underground comix

Comics....but spelled with an x? At long last I have found media hip and with it enough to "rap" with me, as the youths do...!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I refuse to click that link now, but this is starting to sound like exactly the kind of poo poo 14 year old me would have been really into, then looked back on years later and realized in retrospect that it's actually really loving weird and questionable.

So, yeah, just skipping straight to the last step there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I don't regret backing the kickstarter one bit, but I certainly couldn't recommend it to everyone here.

• Locked thread