Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Serf posted:

Also: fast food comes prepared already and is cheap, both of which are huge factors in why it is eaten by the working poor who have little money and no free time.

Obesity is a natural consequence of capitalism's relentless drive to achieve maximum efficiency and profit while not caring about the health of the exploited class. The fact that it is still framed as a moral failing is icing on the cake and serves to keep a significant portion of the population feeling demoralized and devalued.

Get this though:

Eating less of that same fast food is actually quicker and cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

AngryBooch posted:

Get this though:

going to bed hungry when you still have 3 more 4-10s that week is not

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not empathizing with trump voters.

You can't make me

Serf
May 5, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Get this though:

But also less filling? And the portions are designed in such a way that you are either being charged too much for very little or too much for way more than you need. This is not a bug it is a feature of capitalism. The system is rigged in such a way that you cannot win, not without sacrificing your health in some way or another. Poor health means you pay into insurance schemes or spend money at a doctor, and this is ensured by every aspect of the environment the working poor live in. The goal is to separate people from their money and it works frighteningly well.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

Get this though:

not filling though

Fast food is really calorie-dense, meaning that eating little enough of it for the calorie count to be healthy will not fill you up and will leave you hungry. Your body's hunger response isn't actually based on calorie count; our stomachs aren't that smart.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I should never have said "fat" pages ago

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

why cant poor people just eat soylent every meal???

Serf
May 5, 2011

Al! posted:

Justine Tunney parachute account spotted

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone know the essay that talks about how a rich person can happily enjoy some wheat biscuits and orange juice for breakfast, but if you've got a 10 hour workday ahead, eggs and bacon are the only pleasantness you'll have for the rest of the day.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

lol Oprah, get out of here.

I miss the days when every election wasn't apocalyptic, where you wanted a certain candidate to win, but if they didn't, you shrugged, got a little annoyed at the president once in a while, and then went back in two years.

lol oh word you mean you miss the days when you got to practice the same unwarranted complacency that got us President Donald Trump? Some of us never got to be so comfortable, friend.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

euphronius posted:

I should never have said "fat" pages ago

people like you is why the dems can lose in 2020. you are also why we lost in 2016 with your rear end in a top hat attitude.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

Getting poor people to literally devour themselves is almost certainly the ultimate goal of capitalism.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My grandparents were all rural Southerners born during the Depression and all of them considered McDonald's and the like expensive crap compared to just making your drat lunch at home

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

also something to consider is how people who grew up food insecure experience hunger differently from someone who was fed every day of their life. one thing that can happen is that hunger itself doesn't come alone, it brings all sorts of friends: panic, anxiety, ptsd etc

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Why don't those poor people who don't have bread just eat cake, am I right?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

also something to consider is how people who grew up food insecure experience hunger differently from someone who was fed every day of their life. one thing that can happen is that hunger itself doesn't come alone, it brings all sorts of friends: panic, anxiety, ptsd etc

ding ding ding

Serf
May 5, 2011

CheesyDog posted:

My grandparents were all rural Southerners born during the Depression and all of them considered McDonald's and the like expensive crap compared to just making your drat lunch at home

I am a rural Southerner currently and I speak to what I have seen. Times they are a changin.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Al! posted:

going to bed hungry when you still have 3 more 4-10s that week is not

Serf posted:

But also less filling? And the portions are designed in such a way that you are either being charged too much for very little or too much for way more than you need. This is not a bug it is a feature of capitalism. The system is rigged in such a way that you cannot win, not without sacrificing your health in some way or another. Poor health means you pay into insurance schemes or spend money at a doctor, and this is ensured by every aspect of the environment the working poor live in. The goal is to separate people from their money and it works frighteningly well.

loquacius posted:

not filling though

Fast food is really calorie-dense, meaning that eating little enough of it for the calorie count to be healthy will not fill you up and will leave you hungry. Your body's hunger response isn't actually based on calorie count; our stomachs aren't that smart.

Obesity messes with most people's perception of hunger. That's the hardest part of eating less, unless you're able to cut the typical American's source of excess calories that doesn't lead to feelings of satiation which is soda and alcohol.

Serf
May 5, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Obesity messes with most people's perception of hunger. That's the hardest part of eating less, unless you're able to cut the typical American's source of excess calories that doesn't lead to feelings of satiation which is soda and alcohol.

One small part of a much larger problem, yes.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

what are we even arguing about

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone know the essay that talks about how a rich person can happily enjoy some wheat biscuits and orange juice for breakfast, but if you've got a 10 hour workday ahead, eggs and bacon are the only pleasantness you'll have for the rest of the day.

That's from George Orwell's The Road to Wigan Pier.

quote:

The basis of their diet, therefore, is white bread and margarine, corned beef, sugared tea, and potatoes — an appalling diet. Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn’t. Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don’t want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit ‘tasty’. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you. Let’s have three pennorth of chips! Run out and buy us a twopenny ice-cream! Put the kettle on and we’ll all have a nice cup of tea! That is how your mind works when you are at the P.A.C. level. White bread-and-marg and sugared tea don’t nourish you to any extent, but they are nicer (at least most people think so) than brown bread-and-dripping and cold water. Unemployment is an endless misery that has got to be constantly palliated, and especially with tea, the English-man’s opium. A cup of tea or even an aspirin is much better as a temporary stimulant than a crust of brown bread.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Nov 29, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Agean90 posted:

I should not have called trump voters fat

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

euphronius posted:

maybe you shouldn't see poor people as subhumans like Hillary.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Whether we should amend our slogan to "Eat The Rich But Only In Sensible Portions" or maybe "The Rich Are A Sometimes Food".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cyron posted:

maybe you shouldn't see poor people as subhumans like Hillary.

I was talking about people attending trump rallies

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'd say that recognizing the true cause of the obesity epidemic in America is important. And the epidemic itself is just a symptom of a larger disease.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Nothing Ever Changes huh

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Al! posted:

Nothing Ever Changes huh

Nope.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Why don't those poor people who don't have bread just eat cake, am I right?

As long as its a proper portion.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Eggs and bacon are clearly the better choice here as they will keep somebody sated for longer while orange juice is pure empty calories.

Sorry for the obesity derail.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Serf posted:

I am a rural Southerner currently and I speak to what I have seen. Times they are a changin.

I grew up very working class in the South and it's like in the past two decades everyone has just forgotten how to cook or take their lunch.

At the same time meat and threes are drying up in favor of crap fast food.

It's not even that people are picking unhealthy food, it's that even the comfort foods they're picking are more expensive and taste worst and also ignore Actual Southern Heritage.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

euphronius posted:

I was talking about people attending trump rallies

and we where talking about how liberals alinated the poor working class and you just went on about trump like a pink hair baby man.

Serf
May 5, 2011

CheesyDog posted:

I grew up very working class in the South and it's like in the past two decades everyone has just forgotten how to cook or take their lunch.

It's not even that people are picking unhealthy food, it's that even the comfort foods they're picking are more expensive and taste worst and also ignore Actual Southern Heritage.

I still cook and prepare my own lunches and dinners for the most part. But there are times at work when I'm just so beat or frazzled that I grab fast food on the way home instead of cooking or I eat vending machine crackers for lunch. And I'm just a broke rear end millenial, not even one of the working poor who have it way harder than me. poo poo is tough out here.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

CheesyDog posted:

god i can go for some nice biskets and gravy with bacon on the side.

and before you ask i had high fiber ceral for breakfeat i just like having the fatty southren foods at times.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

God drat the white bread people got to him too, huh.
Brown bread is both tastier and more nutritious, Orwell and unemployed people!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

docbeard posted:

Eat The Rich But Only In Sensible Portions

I smell a new thread title brewing.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

crazy cloud posted:

lol oh word you mean you miss the days when you got to practice the same unwarranted complacency that got us President Donald Trump? Some of us never got to be so comfortable, friend.

Lol the world is always ending every 4 years my bad

euphronius posted:

Especially not while dismissing economic anxiety while mocking a very symptom of said economic distress

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cyron posted:

god i can go for some nice biskets and gravy with bacon on the side.

and before you ask i had high fiber ceral for breakfeat i just like having the fatty southren foods at times.

Shoulda known Trump was coming when the Cracker Barrel beat out the meat-and-three with the breakfast bar and homemade gravy.

Cookies are one thing but what corporations have done to Southern cuisine is WRONG

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Don't even get me started about the economic factors that have destroyed the fine Southern art of loafing

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

CheesyDog posted:

Shoulda known Trump was coming when the Cracker Barrel beat out the meat-and-three with the breakfast bar and homemade gravy.

Cookies are one thing but what corporations have done to Southern cuisine is WRONG

Wait, does that include lemon bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Agean90 posted:

New title?

• Locked thread