Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh my god its a lemon meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

That "We Are Number One" song has the catchiest music ever. It's been stuck in my head for days

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tiny Lowtax posted:

That "We Are Number One" song has the catchiest music ever. It's been stuck in my head for days

I've been going back and forth between that and "I Got Bills" for like a week now. It's the weirdest playlist

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usEYQ21828U

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

KoRMaK posted:

It's a Super Sour Ball meme, noob.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

i prefer this one, personally: *:・゚𝓦𝓮 𝓪𝓻𝓮 number one *:・゚✧ ミームは本物です [Vaporwave]

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I-shRI7aRA

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Hmm, clear signs of brewing mental illness. Please consult a memedoctor as soon as possible

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

twoday posted:

This is how Dutch colonists named animals, and consequently why a lot of animals have weird names in English (as loanwords from Dutch)

Aardvark = Earthpig
Leopard = Lionhorse
Meerkat = multicat
Wildebeest = wildbeast
Reebok (Dutch word for gazelle) = deargoat
Dodo (bastardization of "Doodars") = knotass (for the knot of feathers on its rear end)

Dutch 'meerkat' refers to a different animal than English 'meerkat', though. English 'meerkat' is Dutch 'stokstaartje' (lit: 'stick-tail').

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I'm no expert but those interpretations of "meer" and "pard" are new to me.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

Suddenly I want a lemon party...

Wait.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yeah same

I think I need medical help

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Suddenly I want a lemon party...

Wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bvHlb2Fe8

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It owns, but of course I am a mentally ill ska liker in general.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Phlegmish posted:

It really is a good song

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LQdTum14a4

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

After listening to this I found out Garfunkel and Oates predicted Ken Bone in 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXPcBI4CJc8

twoday
May 4, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Also I'm no expert but those interpretations of "meer" and "pard" are new to me.

Pard is a paard, a horse, like a nijlpaard (Nile horse aka hippopotamus). I still go to my Dutch butcher in Amsterdam every other week and buy paardevlees (horse meat). Leo is also not the current or past Dutch spelling for lion, which is "leeuw" but it's pronounced close to "leo" so "leeuwpaard" would be transcribed by an Englishman as leopard.

Meer in Dutch means "more." It might also be related to a verb for looking, so they may be "starecats." In English the word cat is not usually spelled with a k, but a c. Even in olden times. The fact that the Dutch have a different word for it now does not exclude the possibility that they used to call it a "meerkat" and that was then adapted by the English before the Dutch renamed it.

Also, keep in mind that there were no spelling conventions in the age of exploration in the Netherlands or England.

Ugh, I guess I will look up the etymology.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Captain Jesus posted:

After listening to this I found out Garfunkel and Oates predicted Ken Bone in 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXPcBI4CJc8

:eyepop:

twoday
May 4, 2005

quote:

leopard (n.)
late 13c. (early 13c. as a surname), "large cat of the wooded country of Africa and South Asia," from Old French lebard, leupart "leopard," heraldic or real (12c., Modern French léopard), from Late Latin leopardus, literally "lion-pard, lion-panther" (the animal was thought in ancient times to be a hybrid of these two species), from Greek leopardos, from leon "lion" (see lion) + pardos "male panther," which generally is said to be connected to Sanskrit prdakuh "panther, tiger."

Largest spotted cat of the Old World, the name later also was applied to big cats in the Americas. The word is widespread in Europe: Dutch luipaard, German, Danish leopard, Spanish, Italian leopardo. Middle English spelling variants included lubard, lebarde, lypard, lyepart. Proverbial references to its inability to change its spots are from Jeremiah xiii.23. In Middle English the word is used often in heraldry, but there it refers to a lion passant gardant (as on the emblem of Edward the Black Prince).

looks like I was wrong, but the lion part is correct. I thought 'pard' was related to 'paard' (horse) because it ran fast. But no

quote:

meerkat (n.)
late 15c., "monkey," from Dutch meerkat "monkey" (related to Old High German mericazza), apparently from meer "lake" + kat "cat." But compare Hindi markat, Sanskrit markata "ape," which might serve as a source of a Teutonic folk-etymology, even though the word was in Germanic before any known direct contact with India. First applied to the small South African mammals in 1801.

also totally wrong about this one, but it is indeed of Dutch origins
:smuggo:

why am I doing this in the meme thread

twoday has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Nov 29, 2016

twoday
May 4, 2005

corrected historically and etymologically accurate Dutch to English loanword memes:

E: this one doesnt exist in english but I don't care anymore

twoday has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Nov 29, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
:3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMjdkEA9jM8

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

That's a cheetah you absolute idiot fucker moron

edit: bitch

twoday
May 4, 2005

You're right, the spots are not in the correct clustering pattern. Goddamit, google image search lied to me, I typed in leopard, I swear!

I am now at this moment truly an idiot moron and a bitch. My theories have been disproven; I failed you and everyone else in the meme thread.

Off to commit seppuku I guess

twoday has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Nov 29, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

hard counter has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Nov 30, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

this is too dank, I can't handle it

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Bunch of little guys who want to be BIG GUYS

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Phlegmish posted:

:whatup: fellow rude boy!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

This is exactly what it is in German. Same with on the previous page about the toad, turtle, and sea turtle. That's the name for those animals in German.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If we're talking German, the word for glove is "hand shoe".

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Requesting someone link me to lemon party, tubgirl, and goatse. My girlfriend has somehow never seen them and googling just brings me memes about them.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Pesticide20 posted:

Requesting someone link me to lemon party, tubgirl, and goatse. My girlfriend has somehow never seen them and googling just brings me memes about them.

Isn't it just lemon party dot org and like rotten dot com slash fecal japan ? I don't know about Goatse.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

But the English name is river horse

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

If we're talking German, the word for glove is "hand shoe".

German words are the best. The word for pet is "Haustier" which just means "house animal."

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kramdar posted:

Isn't it just lemon party dot org and like rotten dot com slash fecal japan ? I don't know about Goatse.

I've tried the old URLs but they seem to be dead :smith:

twoday
May 4, 2005

rodbeard posted:

But the English name is river horse

yeah but not in english vernacular, it's still greek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe