Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Binkenstein posted:

Winston's approach is "Immigration is to blame for these problems" and then throws in a little "Fear of the Islamic Radical Terrorist" into the mix.

What I was getting at is a shitton of anti-immigration stuff does exactly the same thing, but for some reason bike tory is only willing to call it out as the obvious racism it is when it's a brown guy saying it it passes an unspecified and unspecific threshold of plausible deniability.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Somfin posted:

What I was getting at is a shitton of anti-immigration stuff does exactly the same thing, but for some reason bike tory is only willing to call it out as the obvious racism it is when it's a brown guy saying it it passes an unspecified and unspecific threshold of plausible deniability.

:rolleyes:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Immigration is not the cause of infrastructure woes. Decades of under-investment is. You can't solve or even alleviate it by cutting back immigration. Also some areas could really benefit from increased immigration right now as they are economically and socially dying. An influx of new people, new ideas and new money is needed. But right now everything is in Auckland so more and more people are drawn there because there is gently caress all else going on in the rest of the country. The only way to fix it is with a plan and commitment from the central government to actually help.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How would not drawing down on immigration not help alleviate the housing issue in the short term? We physically don't have enough houses/living space. Period. How is bringing even more people going to help that? Bringing in new money is just going to price even more people out of the market and drive up rents since house aren't homes anymore. Someone has to step on the brake even if it is just for a moment so we can get around that corner.

Poor people are paying the cost by being forced to live in ever tightening uninsulated garages, cars and streets. We pay the costs too by increased doctor visits, more people drawing on benefits, workers taking more sick days, increased crime, malnutrition, mental illness, poor education outcomes and a lesser workforce.

The problem with Winston is his messaging pollutes the discussion. You don't want to even discuss it because he has a finger in it. He is asking for the mostly right thing for the wrong reasons. You're too busy raging on Winston rather than looking at what the Greens are putting forward as number of options.

While we have a lot of Middle of Nowhere St, NZ, how would you get people to go there? It's the middle of nowhere for a reason. You can't expect people to move there if there is nothing for them.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Varkk posted:

You can't solve or even alleviate it by cutting back immigration.

Can someone rationally explain this point if view please, preferably with reference to situations outside of Auckland like Christchurch?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, what would be a good reason to get people down there? Currently we only have rich fucks who want to homestead.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Pararoid posted:

Can someone rationally explain this point if view please, preferably with reference to situations outside of Auckland like Christchurch?

The reasoning is that racists call for reduced immigration therefor reduced immigration is racist.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Taxi regulation is notorious worldwide for creating monopolies. For example in New York City only a finite number of taxis were allowed, and the medallions (the licence to run a given cab) were worth more than a million dollars each.

I'm not familiar with the various regulations in New Zealand, but I understand why Uber lobbies so aggressively - they have to in the face of entrenched, inefficient monopolies that fight tooth and nail to preserve the status quo.

That said of course there needs to be some regulation, but new technologies present new solutions so that old regulations may no longer be relevant or necessary. If anything they should be starting from scratch and looking to build something new that accounts for all the various providers. This would need to include a look at labour laws to ensure that the drivers are not exploited.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
I propose a new policy for the Greens: leave immigration caps unchanged, but ban new immigrants from living in Auckland (also Christchurch and Wellington?)

This would relieve some strain on Akl's infrastructure and increase investment in the regions while not falling into the Winston immigration trap. Downside is that it is kind of creepy and discriminatory, and that small towns generally suck if you're used to big ones.

This was initially meant to be a joke proposal, but it might actually be less terrible than the arguably racist "1% immigration" policy

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sure, restricting the internal mobility of minorities is not racist...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Ignoring that guy, that'd also be one bitch to monitor. You'd have to bring back papers presentation or chipping - hardly a good look.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

There's already incentives in place to motivate new migrants to live outside of the main centres but I guess they're not enough

Re: taxi regulations, I follow the New Orleans news and there's been a spate of thefts there recently with people posing as Uber drivers :shrug:

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Binkenstein posted:

I haven't been paying attention here much lately, but holey gently caress do some MP's need to be hit with a clue by four: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/86824498/mps-miss-the-point-over-how-ridesharing-service-uber-works

This is an amazing piece of PR work by Uber given what seems to have happened is that the Uber guy turned up at a Select Committee, gave the most obtuse answers possible to every question, and then capped it off by treating "but do you actually comply with the law?" as an utterly ridiculous question below his dignity.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
I dunno, add incentives somehow? Some sort of tax bonus for staying out of the big cities? Seems ineffective though - if it's more profitable to just move to Akl for a job and miss out on the credit, then people will probably do just that.

Ask really nicely and hope they're grateful enough to listen? :shrug:

I guess I'm not clear on what problems they're trying to solve. What "infrastructure" is the focus? If it's general health/education neglect, then limiting migration will be a drop in the bucket. If it's specifically Auckland's housing/road/etc infrastructure that's the problem, then cutting down on immigration might be useful, although I'm pretty sure that there will be other policies that are less discriminatory and work equally well. Also, do we have any statistics on internal migration to/from Auckland? Are immigrants actually the largest source of growth here, or is it young people from everywhere else flocking in?

I'm going to forget about the regions (defined as "anywhere that isn't one of our biggest 4 or 5 cities"), as I don't think any political party really gives a poo poo about them. I personally think it's a bit of a shame that our smaller towns are slowly dying, but I'm hardly invested in them in any way.

Edit: apparently there are incentives to encourage people to move out of the big cities, which don't work well. Welp

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

This is an amazing piece of PR work by Uber given what seems to have happened is that the Uber guy turned up at a Select Committee, gave the most obtuse answers possible to every question, and then capped it off by treating "but do you actually comply with the law?" as an utterly ridiculous question below his dignity.

Never forget that the Uber-Taxi Company battle is a slapfight between two utter, monstrous shitheads and both of them are willing to stoop to basically anything to make the other look bad.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
At least the taxi companies are a known evil

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

There are already plenty of incentives to settle outside of main cities. In 2011 it was 5 points if you chose to settle outside of Auckland. Now it's 30. 40 if you start a business.

Immigrants are people, and people go where jobs and lifestyle options are. Most immigrants will have lived in big cities, bigger than New Zealand has to offer. You don't qualify unless you're highly educated, trained, and experienced in specific fields. Low-level construction jobs are in demand, even before the recent quakes, and those are centred around urban areas too.

Incentivise skilled jobs outside of cities IMO, not just for immigrants but for everyone. Build up infrastructure for mass transport, basic services, and lifestyle and entertainment for the masses. That poo poo takes time, start now.

fartmanteau fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 27, 2016

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

^ (agree)

people also gravitate towards where people they know already are, or where they know their communities are.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fartmanteau posted:

Incentivise skilled jobs outside of cities

Those jobs don't exist, so it's not just about incentivising but also about investing in and developing industry (other than dairy farming I mean)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A high-speed rail backbone through the North Island would encourage people to live outside of Auckland simply by making the commute from Taupo to Auckland shorter than commuting from Te Atatu.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

merry exmarx posted:

At least the taxi companies are a known evil

Also, at least the taxi companies are loving over their customers rather than their employees.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oh yeah - I forgot about Uber chat.

Uber's only real innovation has been skirting laws intended to protect employees and laws intended to protect customers, which is why they lobby so hard against being regulated in any form - once they're regulated then they're just another taxi company with a smart phone app. While their "disruptive" business model has done well in starting a conversation on how expensive some taxi regulations are, like most their business model is predicated on being a bad-faith employer and unsafe service provider due to the naivety of the tech-kid startup culture it came from.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

ledge posted:

Also, at least the taxi companies are loving over their customers rather than their employees.

ehhh they're doing that too. taxi drivers don't have great protections here iirc

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

merry exmarx posted:

ehhh they're doing that too. taxi drivers don't have great protections here iirc

Note the one undeniable positive of Uber: the driver 100% always gets paid for their work.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

A high-speed rail backbone through the North Island would encourage people to live outside of Auckland simply by making the commute from Taupo to Auckland shorter than commuting from Te Atatu.

I would love that so much

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Somfin posted:

Note the one undeniable positive of Uber: the driver 100% always gets paid for their work.

Do they get paid as much as they would driving a real taxi though? (I don't know but I would guess not)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

bobbilljim posted:

Do they get paid as much as they would driving a real taxi though? (I don't know but I would guess not)

Per job, probably not as much, but the trick with Uber is there's no dispatcher politics. Dispatchers, particularly in everyone-knows-everyone Wellington, will favour certain drivers over others- taxis can be out there for hours without a single hit, basically just filling in space to make sure the brand is present at certain taxi stands. Uber is pure algorithmic distance and rider rating. Some drivers won't pick up passengers with less than a 4.5 rating, and they are allowed to make that choice.

Plus, if you're picking up people during a surge, you get a shitton more than you would as a taxi.

I know it sounds like I'm basically shilling for Uber here, but I've been dicked around by Wellington taxi companies enough to really get a hate-on for 'em.

E: Because I wasn't clear, not as much per run, but they get waaay more runs in a night.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 29, 2016

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

bobbilljim posted:

Having drunkenly chatted to a fair few Uber drivers (who also happen to be taxi drivers, like most of them), the consensus is that they make a pile more money doing Uber runs.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/morningreport/audio/201825819/anne-tolley-defends-government%27s-handling-of-abuse-claims

Kim Hill shredding Tolley this morning.

Tolley: "Some of the claimants say they have received very good care..."
Hill: "You mean when they weren't being raped and abused?"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Jesus

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ghostlight posted:

People have been saying this for years.

Even a high speed rail from Hamilton to whangarei would help

But the blue bloods seem to hate rail for some reason. Build more roads. Blah blah blah.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Does high speed rail even work with our current track infrastructure?

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

I would assume new rail networks would need to be built.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

At times I feel bad for Tolley. She's like the national party dumping ground of lovely jobs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

kris_b posted:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/morningreport/audio/201825819/anne-tolley-defends-government%27s-handling-of-abuse-claims

Kim Hill shredding Tolley this morning.

Tolley: "Some of the claimants say they have received very good care..."
Hill: "You mean when they weren't being raped and abused?"
One of my brothers was molested while in state care - albeit not in the decades involved in the panel - and after an 18 month battle to do the paperwork "properly" and get compensation to fund counselling for him we got a letter of apology and an offer of $80 to settle. gently caress Tolley - we didn't care about an apology, we wanted the state to come to the table to try and fix the problems they directly caused through their negligence. It's all fine to say he shouldn't have to relive that abuse, but that's not an excuse for doing nothing because he's living with it every single day.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

But the blue bloods seem to hate rail for some reason. Build more roads. Blah blah blah.

Have a look at how much the Road Transport Forum (lobby group composed of trucking companies) pays in campaign contributions and you will find the answer.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Ghostlight posted:

One of my brothers was molested while in state care - albeit not in the decades involved in the panel - and after an 18 month battle to do the paperwork "properly" and get compensation to fund counselling for him we got a letter of apology and an offer of $80 to settle. gently caress Tolley - we didn't care about an apology, we wanted the state to come to the table to try and fix the problems they directly caused through their negligence. It's all fine to say he shouldn't have to relive that abuse, but that's not an excuse for doing nothing because he's living with it every single day.

Jesus that's disgusting

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Robo Captain posted:

Does high speed rail even work with our current track infrastructure?

Nope. Our ancestors felt narrow was the way to go, too much digging.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Nope. Our ancestors felt narrow was the way to go, too much digging.

Yeah nah she'll be right mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

swampland posted:

Jesus that's disgusting

:agreed:

• Locked thread