Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Munoma posted:

I'm quite irritated that there aren't any non-elemental buffs stacks available. It could make Ruinga much more viable for certain fights.

There are actually text strings for minor non-elemental damage boosting items in the JP client, but so far they're unused.

acumen posted:

Tsunami was only hitting for 1700ish with wall/shell/magic breakdown. If you have a medica you can absolutely just face tank it. I didn't once break his surge with lightning.

Tsunami ignores your Resistance stat IIRC, so it'll hit for the same without wall and shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I think the only other way to get them other than the xp dungeon is as a drop from the ultimate or the mote dungeon. After the event the only way to get onion motes is as a random drop from the ahriman mote dungeon fight.

The Engima Dungeon will return with the Cloud of Darkness event, at least. Don't know if more Onion Motes wilp be given.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

The Engima Dungeon will return with the Cloud of Darkness event, at least. Don't know if more Onion Motes wilp be given.

I can personally confirm it will, as I got a few drops doing it. Unfortunately it pretty much just happened JP side, so you're looking at probably a six month wait on that.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I've already collected four Onion Motes from the FF III exp dungeon. It's a solid option if you don't care about burning stamina.

*edit*

Finally got Onion Knight to level 93. Night and day difference.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Munoma posted:

Finally got Onion Knight to level 93. Night and day difference.

He gains like 5x the stats in this. It's nuts

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Pulled on the rematch banner when I was streaming the FF3/Rematch events last night

between this and the Odin Whip I think I owe that banner a beer

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The only thing tempting me to roll on the Lucky Draw is I am in desperate, desperate need of mage weapon synergy for IV.

This Ice Rod +++ is just...underwhelming.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Well, after some testing throughout the day, I can definitely say Luneth's BSB in fact owns bones. The wind damage amp from spear and BSB with Sky High were completely nuts and allowed me to blaze through the FFII Mote challenge with ease.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Revenge On People I Don't Know Trip Report;

Bahamut SIN: Jesus, how did people beat this thing when it came out(Yes, I know the answer is "a lot of people didn't", but).

Didn't have real problems outside of "haha I'm cocky and it's really old, I'll bring one healer ow this is more damage than I expected", which did give me trouble but on the upside, I had no end of damage to deal with it with, so once I managed a run where mitigation came up, Hope, Vincent, Krile and Dagger just trampled it. I didn't quite have to wait for the last creepers but it was close. Meteor 16 does wonderful things to Shadow Creepers(by which I mean 9999 x 2 Sunfires).

Man that's a lot of effective HP, though. Really crazy considering the time period.

Caius: Yeah this is basically a U++.

Went in much more defensively(Faris/Ramza/Basch/Rosa/Y'shtola, I believe) because I'd read the stats and knew what to expect, and sure enough he delivered. Fortunately he's very random, and decided to save his massive chain-explosion for the last five moves, whereupon he killed two people and left the last three to limp in.

Kind of an interesting design, now-not especially durable but man he does a lot of damage.

Cagnazzo:

You know, I was expecting to be more pissed? But mostly I was bored???

Granted, the weird-rear end team(Garnet(w/BSB, Ramuh/Carbuncle), Rosa(Divine Heal, Wrath/Shellga), Ramza(Geared mag with Dagger of Resolve, Swift Bolt/Banishing Strike), Faris(BSB, Venom Buster/Armor Breakdown), Luneth(Blizz/Thundara Strike)) really, really worked.

By which I mean, he did no damage ever, refused to get poisoned, and around the third time I emptied an R2 Venom Buster into him I sighed and just rolled with it. I ran out of an R3 Swift Bolt, was out of the second Maria Song on Luneth, ran out of the Ramuh but hey Burst, ran out of the Wrath but had multiple stocked Divine Heals just sitting there...

What I'm saying was, it was kind of dull, but I know that the more I diverged from the above setup, the more I risked violent explosion, and that Dagger of Resolve/Maria Song are two of the few things that do weakness/neutral hits on him in his two common forms. (haha nothing in Global does weakness/weakness, there are no lightning/ice Burst commands in Global)

Strange as hell fight. Overall I'm glad they don't make Ultimates like that in general. Save it for the Nightmares.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
This revenge event should have included U+ Bartz :unsmigghh:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I was considering rolling on the Lucky Draw bc my FF4 synergy, especially physical, is so lean... but drat, that really is kind of a poo poo banner. I already have Lightning's BSB and a 6* Fusion Sword, too. And an Odin whip.

Second time I've ever passed on a Lucky Draw. I'd really love a Cecil sword, if RNJesus is taking notes for the festival.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

W.T. Fits posted:

Bit late on this, but if anyone is still having trouble with the Magus Sisters mote fight, I've swapped my RW over to Turk Bombshell and given Reno as much FFX synergy MND gear as I could.

Code is e5R5.

Thanks for this. I'll see if I can find you on my train ride home from work. I honed up a Lullaby as a backup plan.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bahamut SIN is what I'm most worried about but I mean I guess I do have Sephiroth's Nibelheim Nightmare which seems like the perfect SB to bring into the battle, what with the AOE Fire damage enfire? I just need to survive long enough. With Cagnazzo, the idea of simply brute forcing it seems crazy but I suppose it might just work with the right accessories. And for Caius, that's the one I'm ironically most looking forward to since I have Cleansing Strike and a greater amount of FF13 physical synergy now.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Well, after some testing throughout the day, I can definitely say Luneth's BSB in fact owns bones. The wind damage amp from spear and BSB with Sky High were completely nuts and allowed me to blaze through the FFII Mote challenge with ease.

So Sky High is worth it on Luneth? That was something I was a bit worried about delving into, but since I have his Burst, I was thinking of taking it for a spin. The issue is getting to hone it up, but maybe that's not really worth it considering his Burst will take care of most of the damage anyway, right? Maybe I'd only use it in-between the burst ending and enwind still being active. It's kinda tricky here.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Honestly my biggest issue with Bahamut SIN was when I would lose control of the fight because the charging phase retargets and all my BSBs would go after the dogs. Other than that he was fine. Cagnazzo is trash. Caius was super fun because I had answers to his speed and damage.

I jumped in around August or so, but it was real interesting to see what folks had to deal with back then.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i enjoyed the easy, stamina-cheap orbs

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Alxprit posted:

Bahamut SIN is what I'm most worried about but I mean I guess I do have Sephiroth's Nibelheim Nightmare which seems like the perfect SB to bring into the battle, what with the AOE Fire damage enfire? I just need to survive long enough. With Cagnazzo, the idea of simply brute forcing it seems crazy but I suppose it might just work with the right accessories. And for Caius, that's the one I'm ironically most looking forward to since I have Cleansing Strike and a greater amount of FF13 physical synergy now.

So Sky High is worth it on Luneth? That was something I was a bit worried about delving into, but since I have his Burst, I was thinking of taking it for a spin. The issue is getting to hone it up, but maybe that's not really worth it considering his Burst will take care of most of the damage anyway, right? Maybe I'd only use it in-between the burst ending and enwind still being active. It's kinda tricky here.

R1 Sky High + Blood is fine if you're using Luneth with Mako Might (or Ace Striker against a wind vulnerable boss). R1 Sky High on its own is fine with lifesiphon or whatever if you're comfortable manipulating battle speed during attack animations to speed up the jump.

I probably wouldn't home Sky High regardless though. Too expensive and the orbs it uses overlap with better choices.

Now a record dive for Spellblade 5 and Tornado Strike? :getin:

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Got lucky and cleared Remiem Temple, had to drop Yuna for Rosa.

Yuna is so mediocre though I don't have a relic for her..... :eng99:

*edit*

What's the word on the new Final Fantasy XV sword?

Good, bad, great for scrap?

Munoma fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 30, 2016

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

So I just started playing this 2 days ago. Friend told me to use the mythril I got to do lucky draws and from 2 banners got excalibur, physicians staff, and rune axe. Managed to get a hero soul and unlocked leon. Most of my efforts have been focused on the normal dungeons to increase stamina, but I could use advice for abilities to craft and long term goals. Now I am saving mythril for the christmas banner I guess?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Munoma posted:

Got lucky and cleared Remiem Temple, had to drop Yuna for Rosa.

*edit*

What's the word on the new Final Fantasy XV sword?

Good, bad, great for scrap?

It'll probably be worth saving for when we inevitably get an FFXV event since it has synergy for XV.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So I just started playing this 2 days ago. Friend told me to use the mythril I got to do lucky draws and from 2 banners got excalibur, physicians staff, and rune axe. Managed to get a hero soul and unlocked leon. Most of my efforts have been focused on the normal dungeons to increase stamina, but I could use advice for abilities to craft and long term goals. Now I am saving mythril for the christmas banner I guess?

A word of advice, be very very frugal with the way you handle your mythril . If not you'll end up being tempted to spend actual money on the game.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

oh no why leon

e: or did you get a good weapon for leon?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Rune Axe (II) is Leon's Burst, so... probably.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

oh no why leon

e: or did you get a good weapon for leon?

Rune axe gave him a unique limit break. Hes basically carrying my team. And yeah, I play brave exivus too and if I'm going to spend money it would be in that game

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Dr Pepper posted:

The trick with Cagnazzo is that you have to pace yourself. Don't select your Ice Attacks until after he's done an attack. Then wait for the next one.

The trick with Cagnazzo is that you just blitz him with DPS and feed him lightning as needed don't sweat the ice attacks (just need one to hit at the right time for the medal)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

It'll probably be worth saving for when we inevitably get an FFXV event since it has synergy for XV.
It's got better stats than most of the generic weapons we get, better than Golden Sword and its ilk. About equal to a fully upgraded and combined pumpkin. Essentially, it's not worth general use unless you're super super new, but it will be a handy stat stick in XV realm stuff when that comes out.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Also, the Shared Break on the sword is basically Full Charge.

As far as free stat sticks go, it'll be good... once there's a realm to use it in...

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Which Excalibur, out of curiosity?

The 3* break abilities from the combat school are a good place to start, as is whatever is the best cure type spell you can make. Keep an eye on the Knight school for the future, all Excaliburs boost holy damage and Knight has good holy skills.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

Which Excalibur, out of curiosity?

The 3* break abilities from the combat school are a good place to start, as is whatever is the best cure type spell you can make. Keep an eye on the Knight school for the future, all Excaliburs boost holy damage and Knight has good holy skills.

Bartz's true legend one. Guess i'll be purting orbs into breaks then. Makes sense.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
What's funny is I actually did worse on Cagnazzo this time than I did last time! Cause I half-assed my setup this time but still amusing. Last time was a real dramatic win with poison damage doing the final tick.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Bartz's true legend one. Guess i'll be purting orbs into breaks then. Makes sense.
For now, just focus on getting more stamina through realms. Do the events as far as you can, and use those exp eggs to level up your team. You almost definitely want Leon, Vanille, and Bartz in there, and you can supplement with whoever else you draw relics for. Orbfest is next month, and that should be a huuuuuge power spike for you, but you'll need stamina, so beeline those realm dungeons.

Most of the realm dungeons, until they get hard, you can just autobattle through and then waste the bosses with a high level roaming warrior cast. Until that stops working, you can use the time your team is autobattling through poo poo to read up on mechanics you'll need to know for the hard stuff :v:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Munoma posted:

I'm bummed by Yuna because Hymn of the Fayth is really showing its age but she's my favorite white mage character in the series. :(

Goddamn the Tiny Bee for being what it is instead of a proper healer BSB I can fish for.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Lifesiphon + full charge + sun blade w/ Firion really puts him on top of the physical game.

Is arc good? I pulled the elder staff thing w/ regen shell and magic blink, not too familiar with using magic blink on a team.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

W.T. Fits posted:

Bit late on this, but if anyone is still having trouble with the Magus Sisters mote fight, I've swapped my RW over to Turk Bombshell and given Reno as much FFX synergy MND gear as I could.

Code is e5R5.

You are Literally The Best. This worked perfectly on my first try. So many motes!

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

wizard on a water slide posted:

I'm bummed by Yuna because Hymn of the Fayth is really showing its age but she's my favorite white mage character in the series. :(

Goddamn the Tiny Bee for being what it is instead of a proper healer BSB I can fish for.

She gets a BSB2 eventually.

It's actually better than most healer BSBs in practice. Cura Medica, Mag/Mind+30% to all, and has that weird Summon gimmick that either lets you summon->dismiss summon for SSB level damage, or use a basic BSB heal(25) or, if the summon is out, get the heal and a Ga-level non-elemental multi-target hit too(without dismissing the summon, I believe).

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Well, you might like her BSB2 slightly more? I dunno, I'm not too up on how much the potency numbers on Enlir's sheet actually mean, but the ones for Fayth Gospel are at least a little bigger than Trigger Happy.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Finally got around to messing with multiplayer. This is a lot of fun, and way more tense than ult + battles have been in a long time.

Edit: I take it back what is this bullshit Ult+ raid

PhysicsFrenzy fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 30, 2016

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Meh, I'm just going to level up Braska and hope I have enough time to try again.

Also Ifrit is stupid for the FF VIII mote dungeon. I have zero armor spare Estharian Helmet which I gave to Selphie along with Blaze armlet and got wrecked badly.

The magus sisters were irritating but I knew I had the relics, still a fair fight imo.

But no, Ifrit is way too much.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Munoma posted:

This is a silly assumption.

I have Full Break and Multi Break.

I prefer Multi Break due to the AoE effect.

Not really. If you want to beat Neo with a FF7 team, you're going to want to use Yuffie / Caitsith for dances or Barret / Red for fullbreak and breakdowns, there's no way around it.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

I've beaten every U++ so far, and every other Mote barring Red Soul so far(who I could probably get with some team tweaking and luck... mostly my mage team just isn't as good as melee.), and Mote Ifrit just spawns gales of helpless laughter every time I try it.

It's like getting ran over by a train. I really need some FF8 synergy before I even consider it. More mage team levels. Everything, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Finally got around to messing with multiplayer. This is a lot of fun, and way more tense than ult + battles have been in a long time.

Edit: I take it back what is this bullshit Ult+ raid

Get you a full Mage/Ninja team and it'll be a breeze. I'd offer to help you myself but I'm heading off to work before long. Still I'd suggest posting a raid tag and drafting goons to lessen your frustration. That or start one yourself and just kick anyone who comes in without a Mage setup.

• Locked thread