Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dizz posted:

I think legendaries and those bad boys are all shiny locked.

But they're random encounters, it would be weird if you couldn't get their shinies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Senerio posted:

If you want one and have a spare Sliggoo I can trade you one. (I already have Goomy, I'm just being lazy)
Seeing how I ran into five of them in the last SOS chain, yeah, I've got one to spare. I'll admit defeat and accept your generosity.

FC: 0834-4483-9578
IGN: noto

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh yeah if anyone wants pokerus, i can do that for you.

FC is 1246-8882-8317

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think the only legendary that isn't shiny locked is Type: Null.

Also the Power Items give out 8 EVs instead of 4. So on top of the appropriate EV, you would be getting 36 EVs per kill if the Pokemon only gives out 1 EV normally, 40, if they give out 2, and 44 if they give out 3.

Macho Brace only doubles the EVs, so on top of Pokerus and the SOS multiplier, you would only be getting 8 EVs per kill if the Pokemon only gives out 1 EV, 16 per kill if they give out 2, and 24 per kill if they give out 3. The Macho Brace is far more inefficient.

wait, there's an sos multiplier? what, just x2 if the pokemon was a helper?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Can you buy more of these strange pokéballs or do you only get the one that the professor gives you and that's it? Because it sounds like beastball-catching regular stuff means soft-resetting every time you fail to catch on the first try.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Neeksy posted:

Can you buy more of these strange pokéballs or do you only get the one that the professor gives you and that's it? Because it sounds like beastball-catching regular stuff means soft-resetting every time you fail to catch on the first try.

He gives you 10 more every time you run out.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It only took me 37 minutes to catch a Mimimyu.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Yo, any kind goon want to help me evolve my Electabuzz and Magmar?

FC is 0104-4230-9299
IGN is Jason

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Mazerunner posted:

wait, there's an sos multiplier? what, just x2 if the pokemon was a helper?

yes, the sos multiplier is x2 on the base ev

so, if the base ev is 1, it becomes 2, if its 2, it becomes 4, but it does not keep increasing the more SOS you do

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

notoriousman posted:

Seeing how I ran into five of them in the last SOS chain, yeah, I've got one to spare. I'll admit defeat and accept your generosity.

FC: 0834-4483-9578
IGN: noto

My 3DS is all-but-dead right now, but I can add you and trade when I get home from work a little later.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Clarste posted:

He gives you 10 more every time you run out.

Even after you catch all the beasts? Or should I keep one un-caught for the sake of farming more balls from him?

How about the Fast/Love/Friend/Level ones you get from Oak's cousin?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Emalde posted:

lmao if you dont just cheat in dream balls to catch everything in

I'm supremely mad that the anti-cheat detects cherish balls, because those are the best.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Senerio posted:

My 3DS is all-but-dead right now, but I can add you and trade when I get home from work a little later.
That sounds fine, I'll be around. Thanks a lot. :)

Neeksy posted:

How about the Fast/Love/Friend/Level ones you get from Oak's cousin?
Those seem to be the one only, unfortunately. Still, they're a lot easier to inherit through breeding now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Neeksy posted:

Even after you catch all the beasts? Or should I keep one un-caught for the sake of farming more balls from him?
AFAIK once you have caught all the Beasts there are no more to be given, BUT if you want to farm some before you catch them all you can get infinitely many by giving your pokemon one each to hold until your inventory has none in it, then talking to him for 10 more, then repeating. Note that this is an enormous pain in the rear end.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

AFAIK once you have caught all the Beasts there are no more to be given, BUT if you want to farm some before you catch them all you can get infinitely many by giving your pokemon one each to hold until your inventory has none in it, then talking to him for 10 more, then repeating. Note that this is an enormous pain in the rear end.

"It'll totally be worth it," I will tell myself. :spergin:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

spit on my clit posted:

oh yeah if anyone wants pokerus, i can do that for you.

FC is 1246-8882-8317

I would very much like some Pokerus. FC is 2406-5121-2223, IGN is Ziddar.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ziddar posted:

I would very much like some Pokerus. FC is 2406-5121-2223, IGN is Ziddar.

Alright, im getting on the plaza now

IGN is Ya Boy

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 29, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Have there been any ideas about how hidden ability distribution is going to work for starters and other non-chainable pokemon? I assume not because this is Game Freak but...

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Probably wait for events or next game. Alternatively hacking then breeding to legitimize it should theoretically work?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Shortest Path posted:

Have there been any ideas about how hidden ability distribution is going to work for starters and other non-chainable pokemon? I assume not because this is Game Freak but...
In general, you just don't get them, ever. Or event-only, like previous starters.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

How the gently caress do I get multiple people to participate in my type matching? I've done it twice and it's been just me. I can get like... 9

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In general, you just don't get them, ever. Or event-only, like previous starters.

I'd say that this isn't really true. As far as I know we got all of the gen 6 hidden abilities distributed during gen 6 and most of the ones for gen 1-5 pokemon as well. Gen 5 just didn't have enough time or the infrastructure in place to get them all done. We should get all of the gen 7 stuff during gen 7.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If a pokemon uses imprison and then switches out, will the enemy's moves stay locked?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Internet Kraken posted:

If a pokemon uses imprison and then switches out, will the enemy's moves stay locked?
Nope, the user has to stay in battle.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

spit on my clit posted:

Alright, im getting on the plaza now

IGN is Ya Boy

Sorry about the wait, I'm sitting in my plaza now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:vince:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
As someone who is at the top of the competitive scene in a handful of singles metas you guys for the most part have a strange idea on how smogon works. There's generally very little interaction or even thought between vgc metas/tours and smogon ones, the latter group doesn't really think about the former too much at all.

Usage tiers and vans are just for the sake of making an enjoyable singles meta out of a game that doesn't give much thought to balance. It's not rly "whining" or anything fwiw to ban or nerf something like bp, smogon doesn't pretend to be the official rules or anything. I can explain the justifications behind more or less any ban done in the past 2 years or so if anyone's interested, even if I don't agree with all of them

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

notoriousman posted:

Nope, the user has to stay in battle.

Well drat. Not sure how to keep Tapu Fini at low HP and asleep then, short of having a level 100 Smeargle. Wild pokemon with aqua ring are the worst.

Granted this only matters because I'm trying to catch it in a beast ball like an idiot.

TBF it learns electro web so if its speed was high it could outspeed tons of pokemon after one attack.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

tbp posted:

As someone who is at the top of the competitive scene in a handful of singles metas you guys for the most part have a strange idea on how smogon works. There's generally very little interaction or even thought between vgc metas/tours and smogon ones, the latter group doesn't really think about the former too much at all.

Usage tiers and vans are just for the sake of making an enjoyable singles meta out of a game that doesn't give much thought to balance. It's not rly "whining" or anything fwiw to ban or nerf something like bp, smogon doesn't pretend to be the official rules or anything. I can explain the justifications behind more or less any ban done in the past 2 years or so if anyone's interested, even if I don't agree with all of them

Why does Smogon prefer singles over doubles?
What bans do you not agree with?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Internet Kraken posted:

Well drat. Not sure how to keep Tapu Fini at low HP and asleep then, short of having a level 100 Smeargle. Wild pokemon with aqua ring are the worst.

Granted this only matters because I'm trying to catch it in a beast ball like an idiot.

Heal Block?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Also for my beast ball I'm thinking Eevee or Mimikyu. I'm open to suggestions though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shiny Tapus with perfect IVs and nature, caught in Beast Balls.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Yeah that would work if I had a level 100 Smeargle. I don't though, and don't really wanna go through the ridiculous effort it would take to level one up and then get all the right move on it. Plus then its accuracy would still be ruined by muddy water.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Smogon prefers singles over doubles because that's what they grew up playing. Also because they love stealth rock too much to let it go.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 30, 2016

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I have been soft resetting this story mode Lunala for several hours now. She just does not want to get into that Beast Ball, even with her elevated capture rate and 1hp/sleep status. I thought surely with her higher rate of capture this would take maybe 10 resets but I'm going on FOURTY because I only have the one traded Beast Ball. Uuuuuugh

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What bans do you not agree with?

Singles as smogon plays it has been around for ages longer than doubles/vgc. The tradition starts back in rby with irc bots, and Nintendo only really introduced competitive doubles gen 4.

So a huge part of it is that tradition - there are major smogon tours that have been running for 10+ years now (smogon tour, World Cup of Pokemon, official smogon tournament). There is basically no money prize but a huge amount of in-community prestige to win one of these

As for bans I don't agree with: stat passing in UU (the real problem was just that celebi was straight broken), I voted no ban for aegislash and landorus I back when they were up for bans in oras but looking back on it at least Aegi was probably too much

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Starting Mimikyu hunt now.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

tbp posted:

Singles as smogon plays it has been around for ages longer than doubles/vgc. The tradition starts back in rby with irc bots, and Nintendo only really introduced competitive doubles gen 4.

So a huge part of it is that tradition - there are major smogon tours that have been running for 10+ years now (smogon tour, World Cup of Pokemon, official smogon tournament). There is basically no money prize but a huge amount of in-community prestige to win one of these

As for bans I don't agree with: stat passing in UU (the real problem was just that celebi was straight broken), I voted no ban for aegislash and landorus I back when they were up for bans in oras but looking back on it at least Aegi was probably too much

What determines if something gets banned? Every Pokemon is double weak to at least one thing right? Are the points of bans to avoid the meta being warped through everyone needing to run that counter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Every Pokemon is double weak to at least one thing right?

Absolutely not, unless you're using a definition of that than what I think most people would, which is a pokemon being weak to the same type twice over, like Scizor being "double weak" to fire.