Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
How good is blood altar and its morphs? How effective would you be as a healer with that as your only healing skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Blood altar is garbage.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Scyantific posted:

Blood altar is garbage.

Most (all?) of the undaunted skills are garbage from what I've seen.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bone Shield was set to be OP as all gently caress with Dark Brotherhood before they made it scale with health again. Inner Fire is good for ranged taunting, and Necrotic Orb's synergy is incredibly useful for magicka classes for sustain.

In other news, Crown Crates are coming this week so you might want to empty out your Crown wallet now to avoid getting suckered in.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I buy costumes and poo poo with my "free" crowns from subbing. Maybe I should gamble them frivolously!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Holding onto Vvardenfell crowns before 2019 happens :colbert:

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Bought during the sale, this game is really fun. I'm having a hard time deciding between a templar and an NB as my first character.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Magic versions of both will make your first experience all the better.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Scyantific posted:

Inner Fire is good for ranged taunting, and Necrotic Orb's synergy is incredibly useful for magicka classes for sustain.

The Inner Rage and Mystic Orb morphs have me brainstorming some sort of weird magicka sorcerer tank build. I might actually try that when I feel like respecing again.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Just got this in PC after being on Xbone since console launch. Got tired of the lovely performance so figured I would switch with the gold edition being so cheap. I'd like a guild invite. I am DC but that seems to matter little anymore with one tamriel being a thing. Would like to get into the crafting trait/motif game asap as I thoroughly enjoyed it before. Is there a crafting exchange? user id is @doridori240

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I bought the gold edition and I guess I have a month of ESO now? What happens to the stuff in my craft bag when that runs out?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Overemotional Robot posted:

I bought the gold edition and I guess I have a month of ESO now? What happens to the stuff in my craft bag when that runs out?

Stays there, you can pull stuff out, but not put stuff in.

Crunk Magnet
Feb 19, 2004
Poop Soup
Invite @CrunkMagnet please.

XenZakki
Apr 18, 2007
I AM YOUR PANTS
Invite @BrahaminKiller please. I'll swarm with some EP goons.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

MF_James posted:

Stays there, you can pull stuff out, but not put stuff in.

Nice. I figured that's how it worked but wasn't sure. Thanks.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ebonheart duder here, can I get an invite @VoodooYardie

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Can I get an invite on @azulle?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Can anyone weigh in on the usefulness of Daedric Mines and its morphs, particularly in tanking strategies? I'm not even to the point where I've unlocked it, but it seems like there's a lot of potential there—assuming, y'know, enemies actually fall for it. And while at a glance it seems that Daedric Minefield would be the more useful of the morphs, I wonder about the instant-arming aspect of Daedric Tomb.

Also on the wikis when they give a variable for the amount of damage a skill does, does that mean it scales with your maximum magicka/stamina?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Rollersnake posted:

Can anyone weigh in on the usefulness of Daedric Mines and its morphs, particularly in tanking strategies? I'm not even to the point where I've unlocked it, but it seems like there's a lot of potential there—assuming, y'know, enemies actually fall for it. And while at a glance it seems that Daedric Minefield would be the more useful of the morphs, I wonder about the instant-arming aspect of Daedric Tomb.

Also on the wikis when they give a variable for the amount of damage a skill does, does that mean it scales with your maximum magicka/stamina?

Not a tank guy but I doubt it would be all that useful either way. If you wanna PvP, though, it's not a bad skill there.

And yes, skills scale off of the resource they use. More magicka = more damage with skills that use magicka.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

Yeah daedric mines is underwhelming especially if you're trying to tank, since as a tank, you'll be pumping stamina.

Look into the fighter's guild trap skill if you're looking for a quick dps thing, if you turn it into rearming trap, you get 2 uses out of a single button press.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm interested in getting into PVP for some of the abilities that are supposed to be pretty good (vigor, warhorn, caltrops) but my experience with it has been pretty lovely so far. It seems like GW2 WvW-style but I'm having a hard time finding the spots where everyone is fighting and am usually just off dicking around on my own and that doesn't rank me up very quickly. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing while solo?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

acumen posted:

I'm interested in getting into PVP for some of the abilities that are supposed to be pretty good (vigor, warhorn, caltrops) but my experience with it has been pretty lovely so far. It seems like GW2 WvW-style but I'm having a hard time finding the spots where everyone is fighting and am usually just off dicking around on my own and that doesn't rank me up very quickly. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing while solo?

Get into a group. This is pretty much a must. A group will help you with your ranking up etc. Just keep type LFG in zone till you get into a group.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
So, ultimately, a magicka-focused sorcerer tank build isn't worth exploring because the very basics of it (like, blocking) are dependant upon stamina then? Dammit, I thought I was maybe onto something there.

I guess I'm limited to "healer" if I ever want to respec my Argonian sorcerer into anything where my race choice would actually be a boon. I'm too far along to want to restart with a new class, so I'll just live with it I guess.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

So, ultimately, a magicka-focused sorcerer tank build isn't worth exploring because the very basics of it (like, blocking) are dependant upon stamina then? Dammit, I thought I was maybe onto something there.

I guess I'm limited to "healer" if I ever want to respec my Argonian sorcerer into anything where my race choice would actually be a boon. I'm too far along to want to restart with a new class, so I'll just live with it I guess.

There are magicka based tank builds that perform well, but I don't think you pump magicka enough to actually do a ton of damage with it, since you still need stamina for blocking and taunt skills etc.

I could be wrong though, I've yet to do the tank thing in this game, but I do know DK magicka tank are a thing.

Also, it's fairly painless to level up another character, your CP points are accessible across all characters (so if you have 250 CP, you can allocate them for each character starting from level 1), all you have to do is the 1->50 thing again, which isn't too bad especially if you have xp scrolls, then you just run around, grab skyshards and maybe do some mage guild/fighters guild dailies to level those up.

Just get to like.. level 15-20ish, gather some skyshards, then run dungeons non-stop with xp scrolls running, if you have them.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 29, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

MF_James posted:

There are magicka based tank builds that perform well, but I don't think you pump magicka enough to actually do a ton of damage with it, since you still need stamina for blocking and taunt skills etc.

I could be wrong though, I've yet to do the tank thing in this game, but I do know DK magicka tank are a thing.

Also, it's fairly painless to level up another character, your CP points are accessible across all characters (so if you have 250 CP, you can allocate them for each character starting from level 1), all you have to do is the 1->50 thing again, which isn't too bad especially if you have xp scrolls, then you just run around, grab skyshards and maybe do some mage guild/fighters guild dailies to level those up.

Just get to like.. level 15-20ish, gather some skyshards, then run dungeons non-stop with xp scrolls running, if you have them.

My thought process was use the Undaunted skill Inner Rage as a Magicka-based taunt, some combination of Sorcerer skills for immobilization and damage, Bound Armaments to boost defensive capabilities and stamina, Sword & Shield as primary weapon (not actually using any of the active skills from that tree), Energy Overload with Dark Conversion on the Overload bar for restoring Magicka, and my backup bar would be restoration staff/summons. But it kind of hinges on something like Daedric Minefield actually not sucking.

It's good to know Champion Points carry over. So in a sense, the farther I get, the less of a pain starting over will be.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sorc tanks are primarily magicka based, considering that their main source of damage mitigation is a magicka-based shield. To be honest, most tanks are magicka focused because of utility skills, stamina is only really needed for blocking, taunting (Pierce Armor is a MUST for any tank, you simply cannot give up that source of Major Breach and Major Fracture). Stamina regen is purely based on Dark Deal, and Encase is a great frontal-cone root. I'll get a theory-craft build up after I get off of work today.

I'll also post a beginner's guide to PvP as well.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Thanks, I could really use a sorc tank guide. I've looked around at other sites for ideas, but of course everyone thinks their build is the best ever, and a lot of them advise putting a bunch of stat points into health—and if there's a red flag that big, I'm sure there are plenty of others I don't have the experience to see.

Carabus
Sep 30, 2002

Booya.
Invite me @paridae please.

Jesus Condumb
Oct 25, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

Thanks, I could really use a sorc tank guide. I've looked around at other sites for ideas, but of course everyone thinks their build is the best ever, and a lot of them advise putting a bunch of stat points into health—and if there's a red flag that big, I'm sure there are plenty of others I don't have the experience to see.

* Warning I haven't played in 2 months and this is all off the top of my head.

I have an Argo Sorc Tank. I've done Vet AA and HRC with it, along with all dungeons. I'm S/B and Restro. I don't use dark pact as I don't need it. Heavy attacking gives me so much stamina back, so quickly. Additionally the heavy armor region passives "do work". I'm wearing 5 armor master (crafted set), Engine Guardian monster set. I have 3 willpower and 2 agility on my S/b bar and 2/2 on my retro.

Front bar s/b skills
Bound Ageis (extra max magic and minor resolve/ward){Toggle ability}
Pierce armor ( s/b skill melee taunt/major fracture and breech)
Hardened Ward (magic based shield)
Harness magic (magic based shield which prompts armor master set)
Absorb magica (S/b skill to reduce block cost and add more mitigation)
I currently use Atro as a utility let (25% more damage for anyone who synergies it). I'd probably use the S/b ultimate when i come back.

Back Bar Restro staff ( I mess around with this bar a lot but the first 3 skills listed are a must)
Bound Ageis
Inner Fire ( Ranged taunt)
Boundless Storm (major resolve/ward)
Hardened ward (Nice to have on both bars for oh poo poo moments. You can put whatever here though)
Healing ward (Nice to have 3 shields stacked at times, heals but you can also figure something else out)
I use negate or overload here but would probably use Atro with S/b let front barred.

I use tri-stat glyphs mostly I believe but you can use a site somewhere to figure out what you want to do there.

I have roughly 27K health, 17K stamina and 35/36K magic w/ tristat food.
My resistance is well above cap.

I basically taunt, stack my shields, block when I see a wind up (gold poo poo around bosses heads etc) and heavy attack with both bars constantly.

Benefits, I'm basically self sustaining, hardly need heals or shards and I'm super mobile compared to a stamina tank. Meaning I taunt pretty much everything in mob pulls and keep them taunted :P.

Cons, you'll never be able to do S/O trial because of the loving magic bomb :(.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Jesus Condumb posted:

Cons, you'll never be able to do S/O trial because of the loving magic bomb :(.

Free Magicka etc.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Slot Purge, spam it during bomb phase. Unmorphed it costs like 7-9k magicka.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Gonna buy that loving Elk Mount the day it comes out.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Does it make horrifically loud elk noises?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Welp, it happened, my idiot/pubby-proof tank build failed me with a pubby group for COH II.

loving DPS with 35k health running 2hander just spamming Cleave and Uppercut, top-notch skill there :downsbravo:

E: Tried again with an actual DD-er instead of some idiot, and not only did the run go through without a hitch, but I got my Lich Restoration Staff. So I'm good.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 1, 2016

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I ran COH II for the first time last night, the boss with the debuff that forces you to play dodge-the-circles. With pubbies it. is. cancer.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Scyantific posted:

Welp, it happened, my idiot/pubby-proof tank build failed me with a pubby group for COH II.

loving DPS with 35k health running 2hander just spamming Cleave and Uppercut, top-notch skill there :downsbravo:

E: Tried again with an actual DD-er instead of some idiot, and not only did the run go through without a hitch, but I got my Lich Restoration Staff. So I'm good.

Did they drop a standard over where you pulled the ghosts? That happened to me back when you got silver keys for loving it up. It was awesome.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
I actually quit a (normal!) CoH II last night at that boss. Noone were doing any damage, dying like flies, no ressing, it was late and I was sober.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

sluggo is mad posted:

Did they drop a standard over where you pulled the ghosts? That happened to me back when you got silver keys for loving it up. It was awesome.

Holy poo poo lol

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

sluggo is mad posted:

Nope. They insisted on using Berserker Strike as their ulti. Like, they were a 2Hander fanatic or something. Didn't even bother to use class skills at all.

And they had the audacity to ask if a 25 CP healer would be bad for the group.

It was a loving nightmare. In fact yesterday was a goddamn nightmare in terms of PUGs. Also had to deal with a poo poo-rear end group that insisted they were White-Gold veterans when they couldn't even get past the Adjudicator. Though that was on me, I completely ignored the blatant red flag when they took over two minutes to kill the giant flesh atronach before going in the tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Game not getting past the first loading screen for anyone else? Can't even get to character selection.

e:Eh, guess loading is just taking awhile for me. Rip I guess

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 1, 2016