Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Metapod posted:

No they chose the player that filled a more important role

After watching the Mavs this season, I now know buckets are more important than defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spacebump posted:

After watching the Mavs this season, I now know buckets are more important than defense.

That's the reason that there is no Doug McDefense

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Paul Zuvella posted:

They gambled on Ibaka being a better player than Harden and they gambled wrong.

Also there are arguments to be made that Harden would have never been able to flourish on a team with two other ball dominant players. Harden definitely did become a better player when the offense ran exclusively through him but what Harden would have been if he stayed on the Thunder is something we will never know.

I think the gamble was that Ibaka was the only real defensive stopper (they had Perk) and they had a surplus of gifted and talented scorers. They maxed Ibaka, then offered Harden 3mil less than max. Iirc, and I think I do. Also, Harden was totally fine with running herd on 2nd team defenses.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Harden wanted a Max from OKC, which is fine and what he deserved but he wasn't willing to take any pay cut.

Spacebump posted:

*Without going into luxury tax.

In fairness, every team in the league that wasn't run by a Russian oligarch made moves to avoid the tax that involved making their team worse, including a Heat team coming off a championship. I think OKC could have tried to be more creative with their budgeting but they also really thought Perkins was an important piece....

I dunno, I can't really blame them for not paying the most money any team ever paid in luxury tax ever, and Serge was probably more important to them than Harden was. It's not like Harden would have had a 30+% usage on the Thunder unless you wanted to take shots away from Kevin Durant.

I do think you can make an argument they traded him too soon and for not enough.

Tae posted:

No one remembers when the Rockets were the 2nd seed with no Dwight and had like a top 10 defense?

In 14-15 they still had Dwight for half the games and were WAY better defensively and offensively with him than when they were missing him. Had they not had him for those games they probably would have dipped to below average defensively.

Anderson looks real bad so far this year and Eric Gordon is not very good either. Capella is a beast but I think a lot of that is because of Harden.

a 31 year old Trevor Ariza has the 2nd highest winshare total on that team. That team wins 20 games this year if Harden isn't on it. OKC is not much better without Westbrook but I'd still rather have them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

rename Tae to Tae Himself

Rename me to There set Pap his own self.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
drat is Trevor Ariza 31 already, how time flies

Actually we're getting Good Ariza this year. He's hitting 40% which he does every 4 years or something, I can't figure out his schedule.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mr. Mambold posted:

They maxed Ibaka

Ibaka did not take the max, he took 12 mil a year which was like 10 mil over the life of the contract under the max.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

predicto posted:

Cmon son.

Future Hall of Famer Robert Parrish AND the draft rights to future Hall of Famer Kevin McHale for a pick used on Joe Barry Carroll. That will never be topped.

Thats almost as good as my favorite trade that almost happened:

In 1984, the Blazers we're desperate for a center and almost traded the #2 pick and their first rounder from the previous year for the reigning ROY, Ralph Sampson. So we very nearly had a reality where Jordan, Clyde Drexler and Hakeem won a dozen titles in the 80s and 90s.

EDIT: The other thing that people forget about the whole Ibaka vs Harden thing is that the Thunder could have just amnestied Perkins, and they would have stayed below the luxury tax even after extending both of them.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 29, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Let's make this flat circle argument clear cut as possible:

-What they should have done is amnesty perk and maxed out barqs

-They didn't amnesty perk because perk was the big brother of the team. He held everyone in the locker room accountable and everyone listened. That's very important for a young team to have as they go through their ups and downs

-If they waited they could have gotten more but didn't and pretty much ended up with adams and abrines for Harden. Obviously not a good trade on paper but I think adams will progress to the point where it doesn't seem as bad as every makes it out to be (disclaimer I love adams)

-There are a things with the cap that couldn't be predicted which makes the decision worse in hindsight

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Metapod posted:

No they chose the player that filled a more important role

Fat lot of good that did them.

It's amazing people will still defend the Harden trade even knowing what we know now.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lockback posted:

Ibaka did not take the max, he took 12 mil a year which was like 10 mil over the life of the contract under the max.

Ah, ok. So basically they wanted to trim Harden himself from a straight out max the same way, then, right?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I just remembered that Brooks used to post up Perk once or twice a game

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Mr. Mambold posted:

Rename me to There set Pap his own self.

Seconded, myself.

chunkles posted:

I just remembered that Brooks used to post up Perk once or twice a game

Gotta keep the big unhappy looking man actually happy

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Don't know if this was posted by Klay Thompson makes the best paper airplanes on the west coast :laugh:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/11/29...nference-video/

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Lockback posted:

Harden wanted a Max from OKC, which is fine and what he deserved but he wasn't willing to take any pay cut.

I was pretty sure he said he was willing to take like $56m to be a team player. So like $1m a season difference.

In other words OKC chose to pay Ryan Gomes over Harden.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Fat lot of good that did them.

It's amazing people will still defend the Harden trade even knowing what we know now.

Sorry for trying to show people Presti's perspective rather than yell about how I would do things differently

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

edit nvm

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Grizz are working out Kendall Marshall and some other people for PG. Give Kendall a shot

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Well you know nick, Mario Chalmers is available

His Achilles is still absolutely borked. But I agree and wish he were healthy. If they bring him back I'll buy his jersey

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

They gambled on Ibaka being a better player than Harden and they gambled wrong.

Also there are arguments to be made that Harden would have never been able to flourish on a team with two other ball dominant players. Harden definitely did become a better player when the offense ran exclusively through him but what Harden would have been if he stayed on the Thunder is something we will never know.

An NBA champion, most likely.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

It's crazy that in the span of a decade Cuban let Steve Nash and Tyson Chandler leave yet neither was the worst move during that timespan.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Oh and /vc/ is out too. drat

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Mr. Mambold posted:

Ah, ok. So basically they wanted to trim Harden himself from a straight out max the same way, then, right?

I remember reading about it at the time, the money was a big thing. However we cannot overlook that many people thought Harden and Westbrook could not coexist on the same team.

Yes it was absolutely a mistake not to sign him but i thought he would have still been traded, just at a later time, for much better players.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They got Steven Adams out of it so not a disaster. If one of those wings would have hit it would have been a fine trade. Harden and Westbrook were not going to coexist .imo.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Signing the biggest contract in NBA history and immediately getting injured is some good 2002 NBA stuff

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I've never heard the term "barqs" used to describe James Harden until the last page of this thread, and even contextually I'm barely understanding why Metapod is calling him that.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Libertine posted:

I've never heard the term "barqs" used to describe James Harden until the last page of this thread, and even contextually I'm barely understanding why Metapod is calling him that.

Root beer

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Metapod posted:

Let's make this flat circle argument clear cut as possible:

-What they should have done is amnesty perk and maxed out barqs

-They didn't amnesty perk because perk was the big brother of the team. He held everyone in the locker room accountable and everyone listened. That's very important for a young team to have as they go through their ups and downs

-If they waited they could have gotten more but didn't and pretty much ended up with adams and abrines for Harden. Obviously not a good trade on paper but I think adams will progress to the point where it doesn't seem as bad as every makes it out to be (disclaimer I love adams)

-There are a things with the cap that couldn't be predicted which makes the decision worse in hindsight

Anyone who wasn't around for the trade should just print this out and review it whenever it comes up because it captures the situation. Also, Harden came off a Finals performance where he completely stunk up the floor (not a reason to trade him, but drat he was bad).

I would have liked them to keep Harden another year not for better players, but to take another shot at a title run.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Libertine posted:

He is an old root beer barrel and has bite. Great nickname.

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/803372914032545792

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't know why people say Harden and Westbrook couldn't coexist when Harden has said he was fine coming off the bench and that trio went to the Finals when none of them were older than 25

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh I get to see cousins tomorrow

He's probably going to try and power dunk embiid

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Libertine posted:

He's a big root beer barrel
You could call him A&W but that would confusing due to Andrew Wiggins. You could call him Hank but that would only parse for a very few upmarket root beer conniseurs. He's that old dick touching rotund slatted, absoultely cooped and staked rb barrel Jim James HArdman

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Libertine posted:

Brolander called Harden a root beer barrel once in a gdt last April or March and I find the nickname hilarious

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's a big root beer barrel
You could call him A&W but that would confusing due to Andrew Wiggins. You could call him Hank but that would only parse for a very few upmarket root beer conniseurs. He's that old dick touching rotund slatted, absoultely cooped and staked rb barrel Jim James HArdman

Don't forget he sleep walks

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Jim "The Barqs Rootbeer Barrel Man" Harden

E:

NickRoweFillea posted:

Don't forget he sleep walks

Jim "The Sleepwalking Dick-Toucher Barqs Rootbeer Barrel Man" Harden

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

sometimes I think of "the old sleep walking dick toucher jim harden" and just laugh for like a minute

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Dick touchers and meat checkers

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Shear Modulus posted:

The OKC owners were cheap and dumb and Morey lucked out and gained the whiz kid rep he's been coasting on since.

Also criminal and suicidal

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

chunkles posted:

sometimes I think of "the old sleep walking dick toucher jim harden" and just laugh for like a minute

I think I actually have that post screencapped because it makes me laugh

E. I do but Pocketgur is being weird and crashing so have this instead, from Panic Room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Also we call him a dick toucher because Jim Harden's go-to move is a pawing push off into the dick area of the opponent

• Locked thread