Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Darkman Fanpage posted:

If the West wanted to keep someone like Putin out of power maybe they shouldn't have thoroughly hosed Russia over following the fall of Soviet Union. Maybe they shouldn't have backed an idiot like Boris Yeltsin who sold off all the state industries to the wealthy. Maybe instead of gloating over a new world order they should have tried to help the Russian people more in their time of need. But hey, clearly the rise of Putin is the fault of the Russian people.

Western countries didn't impose neoliberalism on Russia to screw the Russian people; they imposed neoliberalism on the entire world to screw with absolu-loving-tely everyone; including the citizens of said western countries.

Putin is in power in Russia for the same reason Trump is the President-Elect of the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

Western countries didn't impose neoliberalism on Russia to screw the Russian people; they imposed neoliberalism on the entire world to screw with absolu-loving-tely everyone; including the citizens of said western countries.

Putin is in power in Russia for the same reason Trump is the President-Elect of the USA.

It is just in the case of Russia that the difference was so immediately stark and brutal, and included "geopolitical" humiliation. Russia in the 1990/early 2000s was very much Weimar 2.0.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

rear end struggle posted:

I support NATO for the same reason leftists supported the Entente. Once we defeat Putin we can actually get reform. Before that the threat of that despot to democracy is too great.

Since interstate war hasn't been a norm of the Western system for 98 years (70 for Germany) we have to fight him indirectly, in Yemen and Syria and Ukraine.

So, Regime Change in Russia is an absolute prerequisite to any liberal reforms or progress in the US or in the world more broadly?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
the german left irreconcilably split over supporting ww1 in 1914, and jean jaure was assasinated for his opposition to the military on the eve of the war. leftists did not universally support the entente, and indeed the correct position on one of the stupidest wars in history was to oppose it utterly and without exception.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's cool how today, in TYOOL 2016, we have liberals insisting WW1 was a just war

Liberals never change

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

icantfindaname posted:

So, Regime Change in Russia is an absolute prerequisite to any liberal reforms or progress in the US or in the world more broadly?

No, but reform is impossible under Russian occupation.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah, basically regime change in Russia isn't going to be happening until Putin kicks the bucket so you can forget about anything ever getting reformed or improved anywhere for a few decades. It isn't a transparent excuse at all.

Unless Russia gets a place at the table they are going to constantly pulling poo poo until the only governments that are left are ones they trust or own. At this point, if anything it may be too late.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

Volkerball posted:

Even in this faction, you have a lot of hypocrisy and ignorance. With this one you get a lot of "The West shouldn't have intervened in Libya" type talking points rooted in talking over Libyans who say they are indebted to the West for helping them overcome Gaddafi's tyranny, and speaking about what's best for Syrians while simultaneously only recognizing the handful of Syrian people who are militarily active in jihadist groups. That's all handwaved away with usually an articles worth of background knowledge in my experience. All in all, it's just not a stable ideological platform, and it shows in the structure built on it. But I will say that I have infinitely more respect for people who are ideologically consistent in opposing imperialism rather than just picking a side, even if I think the analysis and the concept of "imperialism" used is a bit weak. The people who are reasonable about Hamas and Palestinian resistance in general, then turn around and disparage anyone who ever held a sign protesting against corruption in Syria as a terrorist. Who will tell you all about the consequences of US imperialism in the Middle East but can't seem to find any outrage when the bomb killing kids there has a Russian flag on it. Those people are the really toxic ones to the discourse.

lmao dude Hillary lost you don't have to defend Libya anymore. I mean its insane to do it in the first place since the intervention there was even more cynical, nakedly imperialist, and comically disastrous than any theoretical actions in Syria would be, but there's no longer anything in it for you unless you somehow get off on extreme intellectual dishonesty. This is the same ideological backwater you people always end up in whenever the predictable consequences of your NATO cheerleading become apparent: oh whoops looks like the Libyans are suffering from an acute case of Tyranny poisoning! No one could have predicated that they would be constitutionally (racially) incapable of graciously accepting the gifts of Western warmongering. Oh well, better luck next time!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

This reminds me of an article I was reading the other day
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/putin-obama-middle-east-leaders-213867

It's a bit old but I think it's probably more true now than it ever was. Obama's flip-flopping (hello 2004 GOP anti-Kerry rhetoric) didn't help ensure confidence and there's no way a Trump presidency will do any better.

I think for the time being, Putin and Russia will be the actor, whether for good or ill. There's no real way to predict what President Trump will do, except "it will be bad and maybe chase people more to Russia's side."

Russia teaming up with the Saudis and the other Gulf nations would be a nightmare for the world economy. Think of a super-OPEC dictating oil prices.

And I wonder what would happen if Putin demanded that Trump not expand the oil and gas industry in the U.S. and go with green energy, so he can sell us foreign oil.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

icantfindaname posted:

It's cool how today, in TYOOL 2016, we have liberals insisting WW1 was a just war

Liberals never change

WW1 was just as "just" as any other war. It was the West's defense against the degenerate Prussian militarism that would eventually culminate in WWII. For the East it was the Southern Slav's defense against a literal genocide enacted by the Austrians.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

spotlessd posted:

Okay but the idiots on this site who gather round the campfire and let Brown Moses tell them fairytales about White Helmets probably aren't in a great position to cast stones about who is unwittingly repeating propaganda, right?
:lol:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Russia teaming up with the Saudis and the other Gulf nations would be a nightmare for the world economy. Think of a super-OPEC dictating oil prices.

And I wonder what would happen if Putin demanded that Trump not expand the oil and gas industry in the U.S. and go with green energy, so he can sell us foreign oil.

The Saudis and the Russians hate each other.

Trump's more powerful than Putin now, why the gently caress would he take orders from him? Trump turning against the oil and gas industry would be about the number one thing that would get Republicans to start thinking about replacing him with Pence too.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

rear end struggle posted:

WW1 was just as "just" as any other war. It was the West's defense against the degenerate Prussian militarism that would eventually culminate in WWII. For the East it was the Southern Slav's defense against a literal genocide enacted by the Austrians.

It had as much to do with French revanchist nationalism being fed by British and American bankers as with German militarism

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Young Freud posted:

It may happen to some extent (we will see in the next 48 hours) but any cooperation would be limited. Trump isn't touching the US oil and gas industry and ultimately Putin isn't that interested in it since so much of American protection steered toward domestic markets.

It very well may be the Saudis will have to break down and cut their supply further if only to re-balance their enormous deficit.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
https://twitter.com/hikmetdurgun/status/803641567953174529

Apparently IS captured two Turkish soldiers around al-Bab? Really hoping this isn't true...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Redmark posted:

Apparently IS captured two Turkish soldiers around al-Bab? Really hoping this isn't true...

Officially they'll be captured by PKK gulenists.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

spotlessd posted:

lmao dude Hillary lost you don't have to defend Libya anymore. I mean its insane to do it in the first place since the intervention there was even more cynical, nakedly imperialist, and comically disastrous than any theoretical actions in Syria would be, but there's no longer anything in it for you unless you somehow get off on extreme intellectual dishonesty. This is the same ideological backwater you people always end up in whenever the predictable consequences of your NATO cheerleading become apparent: oh whoops looks like the Libyans are suffering from an acute case of Tyranny poisoning! No one could have predicated that they would be constitutionally (racially) incapable of graciously accepting the gifts of Western warmongering. Oh well, better luck next time!

Libyans overwhelmingly supported intervention prior to it, and US favorability in Libya skyrocketed after it. And the sentiment continues today, although people are rightly disappointed in the US strategy during the not dropping bombs phase of the operation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...d-a7307326.html

How ironic of you to make a white man's burden reference while defending Libyans from the most bloodthirsty imperialist warhawk neocons of all: Libyans.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Redmark posted:

Good riddance. gently caress the Ottomans.

Notice how these so-called left activists never mention any kind of proletarian basis, instead fighting for the bourgeois fig of 'liberal democracy' so that they can sell off the whole country to the highest bidder if they win.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Panzeh posted:

Good riddance. gently caress the Ottomans.

Mainly I think an HD execution video is not what we need right now. Aside from the obvious humanitarian reason, who knows what Erdogan would do after that?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ardennes posted:

It may happen to some extent (we will see in the next 48 hours) but any cooperation would be limited. Trump isn't touching the US oil and gas industry and ultimately Putin isn't that interested in it since so much of American protection steered toward domestic markets.

It very well may be the Saudis will have to break down and cut their supply further if only to re-balance their enormous deficit.

What happens in the next 48 hours?

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
Are there any Saudi posters in this thread? It would be interesting to see their opinions on how godawful Saudi Arabia has been with Yemen. Ya know, if there any insane Saudi posters . Just curious

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

a cat youtube posted:

Are there any Saudi posters in this thread? It would be interesting to see their opinions on how godawful Saudi Arabia has been with Yemen. Ya know, if there any insane Saudi posters . Just curious

They can't safely talk about it, which makes it frustrating to have a conversation with them about the region. Everyone's a fascist killer but the benevolent Saudi government, which might imprison them for saying the wrong thing.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 29, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Redmark posted:

Mainly I think an HD execution video is not what we need right now. Aside from the obvious humanitarian reason, who knows what Erdogan would do after that?

I don't think Sultan Erdy really needs more pretext to kill Kurds

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ardennes posted:

If Trump is truly isolationist, it will have some effect on the Saudis, like cutting foreign aid and the like. There's a comment that I remember from during the election on why we provide military aid to Saudi Arabia is largely because it gives us a method of control. The alternative is Saudi Arabia buying from China or Russia and letting them have the inside on Saudi policy, and that's what I think might happen, even with Russia's close relations with Iran.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

a cat youtube posted:

Al Saqr, who is stuck in a bind Sinteres points out as adroitly as one can.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
"drat those kurds for not sacrificing themselves for groups that hate them and would turn on them the second assad was gone...what you expect me to criticize my own government- that would be dangerous! "

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

Volkerball posted:

Libyans overwhelmingly supported intervention prior to it, and US favorability in Libya skyrocketed after it. And the sentiment continues today, although people are rightly disappointed in the US strategy during the not dropping bombs phase of the operation.

How ironic of you to make a white man's burden reference while defending Libyans from the most bloodthirsty imperialist warhawk neocons of all: Libyans.

Ex-pat mobster declares: "Castro is a bad guy and he has to go."

You're embarrassing yourself. You aren't even defending the intervention, you're defending the moronic pipe dream of a hired idiot who by her own account was safely clear of this blessed intervention, which probably explains how she managed to repeat a number of discredited myths about the conflict while unbelievably asserting a "voice of the people" rhetorical frame. To be honest she makes a much stronger case for Gaddafi's repression than U.S. intervention.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

spotlessd posted:

Ex-pat mobster declares: "Castro is a bad guy and he has to go."

You're embarrassing yourself. You aren't even defending the intervention, you're defending the moronic pipe dream of a hired idiot who by her own account was safely clear of this blessed intervention, which probably explains how she managed to repeat a number of discredited myths about the conflict while unbelievably asserting a "voice of the people" rhetorical frame. To be honest she makes a much stronger case for Gaddafi's repression than U.S. intervention.

Sarkozy?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Count Roland posted:

What happens in the next 48 hours?

A big OPEC meeting in Vienna, some cuts have been proposed but we still have to see if there is any follow-through.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Oil's down today because people are pretty skeptical that cuts will be forthcoming.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

steinrokkan posted:

At this point it's probably best to allow the side most capable of winning to wrap things up. Even if it means Assad - no matter what he is going to do

*10 years later*

Wha..? Why is Syria going through another civil war? That's weird, I thought they settled all those issues in the last one when everyone agreed to get massacred by a genocidal tyrant for all eternity.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

a cat youtube posted:

Are there any Saudi posters in this thread? It would be interesting to see their opinions on how godawful Saudi Arabia has been with Yemen.

They like keeping their fingernails. Don't expect to hear from them. In SA they can and will throw you into a dungeon for talking smack, even online.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sergg posted:

*10 years later*

Wha..? Why is Syria going through another civil war? That's weird, I thought they settled all those issues in the last one when everyone agreed to get massacred by a genocidal tyrant for all eternity.

Sorry we're not all gung-ho about interventionism, Sergg. Guess you could say the West is all interventioned out..

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Sergg posted:

*10 years later*

Hrm yase, because deposing Assad would just end the civil war and there would be a lovely peace as jihadist militias supported by the Gulf States attempt to massacre and crush Alawites, Shia, Kurds, and other ethnic and religious minorities in Syria

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

One more three letter organization for the pile: SNR, Syrian National Resistance (or Syrian Patriotic Resistance). This is the name of the new hybrid SAA/SDF faction near Al Bab, and they kicked things off with a pretty strongly-worded statement:
https://twitter.com/IvanSidorenko1/status/803398530949906432
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5ffwl5/inaugural_statement_from_snr_syrian_national/
Helpful background info on the group:

bjam83 posted:

The official line seems to be that it is made up of the Kafr Saghir Martyrs Brigade (Kafr Saghir is the region jointly controlled between Efrin SDF and SAA), which is a militia loyal to both the SDF and SAA.

I'm skeptical they have the manpower, especially after only a little over a month of holding the area. I would say that it is the Efrin SDF augmenting the manpower of the Kafr Saghir Martyrs Brigade, with SAA providing political and heavy weapons support if/when required against TFSA.
What seems agreed by the SDF and SAA is that this will act as an umbrella group for spearheading a pushback against the Turkish incursion/TFSA. Whilst also being a neutral group for buffering the SDF and SAA.
Notable things about the statement:
-The wording pulls from the playbooks of both the SDF (free, democratic) and SAA (patriotic, united).
-Very anti-Turkey/anti-Ottoman in tone, even by SDF standards
-Hitler name drop, but it's in reference to the Ottoman genocides so it doesn't feel out of place
-Jarablus to Iskandarun. Iskandarun is in Hatay province, aka that little chunk of Turkey that Syria wants back.
-The SNR has a flag:

It looks very similar to the SDF's flag, complete with Hatay being part of Syria.

I guess this simplifies the race to Al Bab a little.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 29, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I support Syria's aspiration to reclaim Hatay in the interest of pretty borders.

Nermal
Mar 16, 2004
Hey baby, wanna kill all humans?

Volkerball posted:

Sure are a whole load of anecdotes and no statistics in your article backing that up.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Saladin Rising posted:

One more three letter organization for the pile: SNR, Syrian National Resistance (or Syrian Patriotic Resistance). This is the name of the new hybrid SAA/SDF faction near Al Bab, and they kicked things off with a pretty strongly-worded statement:
https://twitter.com/IvanSidorenko1/status/803398530949906432
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5ffwl5/inaugural_statement_from_snr_syrian_national/
Helpful background info on the group:

Notable things about the statement:
-The wording pulls from the playbooks of both the SDF (free, democratic) and SAA (patriotic, united).
-Very anti-Turkey/anti-Ottoman in tone, even by SDF standards
-Hitler name drop, but it's in reference to the Ottoman genocides so it doesn't feel out of place
-Jarablus to Iskandarun. Iskandarun is in Hatay province, aka that little chunk of Turkey that Syria wants back.
-The SNR has a flag:

It looks very similar to the SDF's flag, complete with Hatay being part of Syria.

I guess this simplifies the race to Al Bab a little.

Any idea what this means in the long run? I'm wondering if the Russians convinced the regime to give the SDF the federalism they wanted.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

a cat youtube posted:

Saudi Arabias Yemen intervention is mostly comparable with any number of US "peace keeping" operations and arguably more justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
An idiot, or a troll? Does it even matter?

• Locked thread