Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I give Toast permission to be :smug: as gently caress for at least the next three pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

MoMA please clarify, is it "Spectrum" or "The Spectrum"? CIG seems to be confused on this issue.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Lladre posted:

Two tonight actually.

2.6 and the spectrum thing.

Three if you count that TheAgent was wrong.

Yea, now we just need to wait and see if 2.6 is actually what they said it would be, or a hacked up reduced patch. Think I'm gonna bet the latter.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, so MoMA's got some insider leaks too huh? Nice one.

MoMA, can you confirm or deny that the name "Spectrum" is a joke about autism?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

XK posted:

Web only version of the Spectrum? So they made forums?

spectrum game integration is for the next version :laugh:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/feb/28/loneliness-is-like-an-iceberg-john-cacioppo-social-neuroscience-interview

quote:

Then, what is the impact on health if you feel chronically lonely? When you allow for all the other factors, you find that chronic loneliness increases the odds of an early death by 20%. Which is about the same effect as obesity, though obesity does not make you as miserable as loneliness.

Happy holidays Ben, and humility.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Beet Wagon posted:

Unsurprisingly 2.6 plays like total dogshit.

Toast you should tell them to make their game better. I keep trying but they won't listen to me.

How is it

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

thatguy posted:

I give Toast permission to be :smug: as gently caress for at least the next three pages.
What happened?

Did the game come out?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

It's approximate. And yes, only testers will have access first,

That was my question. Approximate, huh?

quote:

but then again, you should know this with your super-secret Evocati access. Don't you?

As to my "Evocati", it bears no relevance to this. Our test schedule remains dev -> staging (public) -> production (public). All our staging test builds are available to everyone; no segregation. Some people choose to wait for the official production release, even though they have access to the staging builds. Which is why I use Steam because it supports both live and dev builds simultaneously, with the ability to switch builds with a mouse click.

CIG said that 2.6 would be released in 2016. That was even as they were promoting 3.0.

That would mean dev -> Evocati -> standard -> live. All in 2016. That's what the current schedule says, even with the recent change as per these diffs.

Most of us already knew that 2.6 being released in 2016 was a fantasy dream, which, like 3.0, CIG made up in order to boost backer confidence in order to keep getting funding. I called that one back on Nov 2nd.

If Evocati are going to get 2.6, this late in Nov, it stands to reason that 2.6 going live in 2016 isn't happening. Which, depending on how broken it is, would mean a live release sometime in 2017. Which means no SQ42 in Q1/17 either. I don't even.

So, what happened to 3.0 Jesus Patch then? Is it still the surprising Christmas release? :grin"

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 29, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I, for one, am astounded at MoMA's ability to confidently predict the imminent release of 2.6 based on a weeks old roadmap written by CIG considering how critically he normally treats all of the information coming from that company.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

#IWallowWithBen

#IDrinkTallowWithBen

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

ha ha moma, you pompous buffoon

whoever gave that account the matt berry av is a genius

It's brilliant. I hear his posts in a Matt Berry voice all the time now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Chris will make sure 2.6 gets pushed out this year. He'll force it out no matter what.

Potential for a hilariously broken release in the next 3 weeks is extraordinarily high.

It's hilarious and sad that everyone has seemingly completely forgotten about the lofty 3.0 :negative:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

I'm clearing space on my hard drive that stores my game footage

Nice try dancing cat.

You are clearing space for all those griefing config files and stuff.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

It's hilarious and sad that everyone has seemingly completely forgotten about the lofty LoD :negative:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Propagandist posted:

im a star citizan

You're the best Star Citizen. :glomp:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

D_Smart posted:

It's hilarious and sad that everyone has seemingly completely forgotten about the lofty 3.0 :negative:

I generally refrain from involving myself in discussions about completely imaginary delusions.

2.6 at least technically exists.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

HycoCam posted:

Don't forget about the exploring the tunnels created in the procedural planet by the sandworm's movement.

That's where the spice is.

This is critical to my enjoyment of the game. Also crashing my space ship through the ground into the tunnel, and then using my mining attachment to mine for spice. When the sand worm comes, I do what must be done. Harness it and ride it. :clint:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm sure the UFOs my friend saw following him around will show up before the end of the year. He can play SC 3.0 with them.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

D_Smart posted:

XK posted:

I generally refrain from involving myself in discussions about completely imaginary delusions.

2.6 at least technically exists.

Yeah I don't think anyone forgot about it, more just immediately dismissed it as no way it was going to happen this year or probably even in 2017. Just par for the course for CIG!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Hey stop ganging up on my friend Man of Many Aliases you instigator locust dinks

XK
Jul 9, 2001

2.6 was supposed to be out in June.

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol the rest of those goals.

I want to see what happens when they update arena commander(well besides changing some xml numbers for the ships).

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

thatguy posted:

IT'S PAGE 6609 AND I'VE HAD IT WITH ALL THESE BEN IS FAT JOKES! I SWEAR IF I SEE ONE MORE OF YOU CREEPY LOSERS TALKING poo poo ABOUT HOW FAT BEN IS I SWEAR I'LL JUST KEWAUEIFHAWLIUFHAGLUIASDLFJFCHBLEWIU!

Ben fat, so what?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
How is it that Chris doesn't already have this?

http://www.fallenfurniture.com/product/737-cowling-chair/

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol the rest of those goals.

I want to see what happens when they update arena commander(well besides changing some xml numbers for the ships).

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

D_Smart posted:

ps: You guys think you're pissed now? Well then, better get ready for my upcoming blog because it's got some things that nobody saw coming, and which I can 100% guarantee will lead to legal action that will subsequently *force CIG to produce the promised financial accounting for the project - something that most of you are too scared to see happen.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

4.0 is going to be great.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Haha sometimes you make good posts moma. You're alright you are.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
Has there been a 3.0 live date betting thread made yet?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Better release the blog derek or spill the beans

you gonna let MOMA own you like that?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

nawledgelambo posted:

Has there been a 3.0 live date betting thread made yet?

A 3.0 release with 2/3rds of the promised features will not be released in 2017.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

D_Smart posted:

Fact of the matter is that those goals are mere speed bumps in relation to the rest of this loving dumpster fire.

The 10,000 ft (or around 3000 meter) view is that everything promised can only be pulled off by quantum computing at this point.

1) 9:1 NPC ratio with AI. OK. Few posts above quoted dreams and said they should be cognizant of your last interactions with other players to affect subsumption in regards to missions. So everyone should have a six degree type connection. Would basically mean around 10 quintrillion rows to store basic stuff. I mean, you have friends that don't like your other friends, yet you still go out and live dual lives type of stuff not to offend the other set of your friends. This would all have to be parsed and is basic life.

2) The cloud will solve it all. Yeah. poo poo is expensive. They charge by the minute. Every byte transferred from the VMs they spool up is charged. Sure, it is .000012 or something like that for each byte. But it adds up quick.

3) Given #2, and based on issue reports I find it laughable they haven't figured out a patching system yet that would save them money for bandwidth costs. (Or maybe...just maybe...some CPA determined so few people play the loving "game" it is more cost effective to ignore it for now and eat the costs versus the salaries to fix the drat thing.)

Welcome to verse commandos. You are in Australia and I'm in Indonesia. Let's fire up a 4x4 map in the cloud with 120ms of latency. And wait a few more seconds until the instance fires up in the cloud.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
CIG dropped 2.6?

Good for them! :)

How many features in the 2.6 list are in the 2.6 version people have? Does this finally constitute at least 1% of the game is now officially in the game? Because that <1% thing was just embarrassing.

Is my giant sand worm in the game?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

The Science and Research mechanics are going to be amazing.

Oh, that's a blocker.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

XK posted:

2.6 was supposed to be out in June.

lol

Star Marine was supposed to be out in April of 2015... Only 20 months late.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

XK posted:

The Science and Research mechanics are going to be amazing.

Oh, that's a blocker.

No. It's a burning golf cart.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
I'm about a billion pages behind but I'm just very disappointed that Beer's name wasn't changed to BeerForTheBeerMod. You should all be ashamed.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Chairman Wao posted:

I'm about a billion pages behind but I'm just very disappointed that Beer's name wasn't changed to BeerForTheBeerMod. You should all be ashamed.

You probably won't read this until it's too late but I'd just skip the next billion pages buddy it's for your own good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tank Boy Ken posted:

No. It's a burning golf cart.

The golf swing mechanics weren't fidelitous enough for Chris's true vision of discovering quantum gravity in the scientific research module of your Endeavor.

• Locked thread