Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Grand Fromage posted:

E: I am now discovering there are depths of kitchen knife sperg forums. They seem to think Moritakas are unreliably made and most of them are crap.

Cheap Moritakas are like cheap Tojiro's. They're made by apprentices and are roughly finished.

Other brands you could get as a "lifetime" knife: Kanehide, Kohetsu, Kikuichi, Konosuke, Masakage.

I have a Kanehide, Kohetsu, and Konosuke. All great knifes with good fit and finish.

I still plan on ordering a 330mm Moritaka kiritsuke, extra tall. Last time I inquired they quoted me around $220 USD without a handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Gonna put in my recommendation for rubber cutting boards. They're less expensive than good wood boards, more expensive than plastic, and they self-heal, are good on your knives, and can be made incredibly clean by soaking in bleach and water overnight. I have a mid-sized board at home (maybe 24" by 18") that I picked up from a kitchen supply store for ~$30.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Cross posting from the knife making thread in DIY, not much action in there so I figured the kitchen knife thread might be the way to go. I make mostly chefs knives right now. I enjoy cooking and have only ever really had poo poo knives so I decided to make my own. This is my 7th knife I have made so far. I mostly give them out to friends who also like to cook. let me know what you like / don't like.

I really like the handle. This is the first time I used mosaic pins. I am going to attempt to make some for my next one.

Let me know what you think.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Handle is beautiful, and probably the perfect size for my dainty hands.

I don't care for so much belly/curve in the blade, and I dislike that little curve back you have on the heel.

What material and hardness?

I've been wanting to get into knife making myself, I'll have to check out the DIY thread.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
The knife is made from 1084 high carbon steel. I don't have any way to test the hardness other then it passes a file test, but it should be around 60ish after tempering. I kept one that I have been using for about 4 months now and it's holding an edge way longer then my stainless knives.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Nice!

Received a Mac pro in the mail to replace the shun knock off chefs knife I got in a kit for 20 bucks. Was an ok knife with VG10 steel but poor balance and too much curve in the edge. The handle finally cracked after 7 years of pretty hard use.

This feels much better in hand and the longer straight section will match my cutting style better.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

mattwhoo posted:

I mostly give them out to friends who also like to cook.
Are you accepting applicants for additional friends? :v:

What are the bare minimum tools needed to get into knife making? I have always been interested in adding another expensive hobby to the list.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That knife is dead sexy. I'd have to see how I felt about the heel after using it though. So uh just send it over I guess

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

charliebravo77 posted:

What are the bare minimum tools needed to get into knife making? I have always been interested in adding another expensive hobby to the list.

Files, sandpaper, and clamps and some ability to cut the black iirc. Fancier people have special belt grinders, forges, or their own heat treatment set ups, but from what I remember you don't need much to get started as long as you're okay with it taking a long time. This is all from when I looked into doing it a couple years ago but never actually did

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009

charliebravo77 posted:

I do accept applications for new friends! It usually involves drinking lots of beer and good conversation. As far as tools go you can do it all with hand tools and files if you really want to, but I think that would be a huge pain in the rear end. The only major purchase I have made so far is a belt grinder. They make cheep 1" x 30" belt grinders they are fairly cheep around $100(Skip unless your on a real budget) I got this one for around $400 It is a 2" x 42" belt. I think the extra width on the belt is much easier to grind the flats. The bad boys that most knife makers use are the 2" x 72" grinders. Right now I can only heat treat simple steels but my next purchase will be a heat treating oven. That will allow me to heat treat things like stainless and some of the other high carbon steels.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That knife is dead sexy. I'd have to see how I felt about the heel after using it though. So uh just send it over I guess

Thanks I'm glad you like it. Sadly I have already gifted the knife to our friends. I did however keep one for myself. It was an earlier version I made. If you want to try it out and you are ever in NC, stop by with some beers and lets cook some poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So for the past year or so I've been making do with a hunk of chinesium that's as old as me, got run through the dishwasher for 2 decades despite my protests, and was chipped and warped from chopping on marble counters; the kinda knife where you have to saw through a chicken breast while leaning on it. Before that the best I'd used was a kinda sharp Cutco set my mom had, which I was kinda miffed when she gave it to my sister who barely cooks.

I just got a couple Victorinox pieces and holy gently caress. The paring knife... I gut peppers almost without moving my hands at all, like it's running on pure thought.

And then there's the 12" chef knife. I was a little :stare: when I first opened it up, but it actually fits perfectly in my giant bear paws.

And the cutting... :circlefap: Only now do I understand "let the weight of the knife do the work". I can actually chop onions to a size smaller than 1/2 inch! loving incredible.

Thanks for the OP and personal recommendations about 10 months ago when I asked in here. Knives are so good, you guys.

E: Bonus shot with the old knife, which is now relegated to letter opener duty.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well, it was definitely messing something up

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Enourmo posted:

And then there's the 12" chef knife.

:monocle:

That is a big knife! Grats though, nothing makes cooking quite as enjoyable as a good sharp knife.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Any recommendations on a Japanese slicer? I work at a Japanese restaurant where we serve sashimi and poké, and I'll need a slicer relatively soon to continue progressing. I currently have a togiharu Damascus gyutou, but it's fairly heavy and I would prefer something a bit easier to sharpen, as we all sharpen our knives with stones. My budget is around 250-400.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Do you wanna go sujihiki or yanagiba? Also how long? 270? 300?

Thoht fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 3, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I direct ordered a custom 300mm moritaka yanagiba for less than you would pay at any retailer and it's great

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
Anyone here ever used the Masakage Mizu line of knives? I'm debating between the cheaper Tojiro DP ($125CAD) and the Masakage gyuto ($165CAD), both are 210mm.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

whatupdet posted:

Anyone here ever used the Masakage Mizu line of knives? I'm debating between the cheaper Tojiro DP ($125CAD) and the Masakage gyuto ($165CAD), both are 210mm.

I haven't used the Mizu line, only the Kiri, but Masakage knives are much nicer than Tojiro ones in general. I would go with the Masakage since the price is so close. Oh, hey, they are made by Anryu Katsushige, he's a very good smith and makes some separate lines that are highly regarded so yeah, get that Masakage.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I know nothing of cheese knives and I got some cheap ones. They are squared off edges, 1mm thick. Is this normal? Should I sharpen these cheese knives?

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I haven't used the Mizu line, only the Kiri, but Masakage knives are much nicer than Tojiro ones in general. I would go with the Masakage since the price is so close. Oh, hey, they are made by Anryu Katsushige, he's a very good smith and makes some separate lines that are highly regarded so yeah, get that Masakage.
Thanks, for the sake of $40 I'll get the Masakage.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I bought the 8" DMT DuoSharp Fine/Extra Fine sharpening stone. I've never sharpened a knife on a bench stone style system before.

Before I wreck my one decent knife, I've been practicing on my Chicago Cutlery 8" chef knife. It had a chip in the middle of the blade from getting dropped a long time ago, but was otherwise mostly sharp.

I know the fine/extra fine isn't the right grit for overhauling an edge, but I spent 30 min on the knife anyway and got the chip ground out so the edge looks uniform now. The thing is, it's still not very sharp. I hit it again a day later, about 15min on the fine, then 20ish strokes each side on the extra fine, followed by honing on a steel. It cuts, but there are definitely dull spots on the edge.

So, can we say this is definitely an issue with my angle and technique, or do I just need to spend more time grinding away on this edge? Or is more information needed? It's hard for me to explain where I might be going wrong with my technique because I'm trying to hold the proper edge, but who knows if I'm getting it right.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

The Ferret King posted:

I bought the 8" DMT DuoSharp Fine/Extra Fine sharpening stone. I've never sharpened a knife on a bench stone style system before.

Before I wreck my one decent knife, I've been practicing on my Chicago Cutlery 8" chef knife. It had a chip in the middle of the blade from getting dropped a long time ago, but was otherwise mostly sharp.

I know the fine/extra fine isn't the right grit for overhauling an edge, but I spent 30 min on the knife anyway and got the chip ground out so the edge looks uniform now. The thing is, it's still not very sharp. I hit it again a day later, about 15min on the fine, then 20ish strokes each side on the extra fine, followed by honing on a steel. It cuts, but there are definitely dull spots on the edge.

So, can we say this is definitely an issue with my angle and technique, or do I just need to spend more time grinding away on this edge? Or is more information needed? It's hard for me to explain where I might be going wrong with my technique because I'm trying to hold the proper edge, but who knows if I'm getting it right.

Making the assumption that you double-checked your info on angles so you know you're grinding to an angle that will get you as sharp as you want to go, etc etc.

Sharpie trick. If you grind all the sharpie off (at one consistent angle without having to readjust), the knife should already be sharp. Polishing is just for looks and samurai edge.

More troubleshooty: Put the stone on a reliably flat surface and check for daylight, see if it's warped. Get a magnetic angle holder (or make something similar) and cheat for a bit, that'll tell you if you're to blame.

Most troubleshooty: Get a friend / knife shop to do a professional job and tell you if the knife was just crap or if it was you. There's some chance you're dealing with a crap blade, maybe try a decent quality pocketknife if you have one?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Man, my girlfriend got me this set as a gift, and I hate using them.

https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Gour...asian+knife+set

They have literally no weight to them and the handles are really uncomfortable which makes cutting anything a real chore... it can barely dice an onion.

Anyone else try these and feel the same?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Santokus are supposed to be light, but it sounds like you'd be more comfortable with a chef's knife anyways.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

emotive posted:

They have literally no weight to them and the handles are really uncomfortable which makes cutting anything a real chore... it can barely dice an onion.

It's Wusthof so I'm not surprised. Santokus are supposed to be light but that one will lack the harder steel used in a japanese knife and therefore the sharpness that you would see in a real one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Ferret King posted:

Try seeing if honing it a lot more to see if it solves the problem. Sometimes when I test a knife after sharpening I find that the edge feels dull, but it turns out that I rolled the edge due to carelessness, and it's just fixed with extra honing.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Thanks for the tips. I made the cheap knife more dull, so I'll keep practicing and watching more tutorial videos.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Hey Knife Thread, long time no see.

Many months ago, I came to this thread in search of a knife for my partner. Several posters recommended this one to me: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tavgnagy21.html

Unfortunately, surprise work issues at the time prevented me from buying it and the plan was eventually tabled while we moved. Meanwhile, the gyuto got discounted and sold out early this fall- and I haven't been able to find it anywhere online since.

I'd like to get my partner something similar and I'm willing to spend a bit more (let's say $200-$250 total, though less is good too) if I have to. Any suggestions?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Many months ago, I came to this thread in search of a knife for my partner. Several posters recommended this one to me: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tavgnagy21.html

Unfortunately, surprise work issues at the time prevented me from buying it and the plan was eventually tabled while we moved. Meanwhile, the gyuto got discounted and sold out early this fall- and I haven't been able to find it anywhere online since.

I'd like to get my partner something similar and I'm willing to spend a bit more (let's say $200-$250 total, though less is good too) if I have to. Any suggestions?

Here are a few to look at:

Shiro Kamo R2 240mm: I have this one, I really like it, very wear resistant steel so you don't need to sharpen it often, thin but still very robust feeling, needed some sharpening out of the box since the edge was not so great, crazy sharp after a sharpening session to the point where you have trouble feeling it passing through the ingredients.

Sukenari Ginsan 240mm: I don't own this one but I have heard good things about it, especially for the price. It's not super thin except near the tip which is quite thin and good for delicate work. They are supposed to have a nice edge out of the box which is consistent with Sukenari's other products.

Takamura Migaki R2 210mm: I recommend this one as your best choice. It's got the same R2 steel as the Shiro Kamo so it can hold its edge for a long time, it's super thin and super sharp, has a great out of the box edge and it the cheapest of the three knives in this list, the only thing I dislike about it is the western handle(personal preference) and that it's 210mm, but you were going to get a 210mm knife in the first place so this is a great replacement. It's one of the most raved about knives on CKTG and I really wish they made a 240mm version, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

emotive posted:

From what I understand, especially the newer Gourmet series are kind of not thread-quality knives, so you might just not like them regardless of the Japanese bit, although as mentioned that's a vector.

Once upon a time I got a chef's 4-piece set with scissors, and they're okay. Like if they've just been sharpened then they do everything a knife should do, but they go steak knife dull quickly, and they never take a samurai edge. I prefer my Victorinox, and once I ordered my Shuns I donated the Wusthof set to my girlfriend so when I go to her place I have some acceptable knives to work with.

She was cutting tomatoes with old, dull, serrated steak knives.

Reminds me, when I go home for Christmas I need to pack my 'Nox.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I feel your pain, CKTG does not seems to restock quickly once something sells out, though when you're talking about handmade Japanese knives, it's pretty understandable.

That being said, buy the Shiro Kamo knife that A Very Large Radish recommended, not because I have any personal experience with any of the knives in that post, but because a part of me hopes that if enough Shiro Kamo knives get sold, CKTG will make and order from them that includes the 270mm R2 gyuto so that I can buy one, because man do I need that prep monster in my life and the wait is killing me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/678583312/skid-the-first-wooden-chef-knife

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1048684157/fini-cutlery-chef-invented-knives-perfected

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 20, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ha the Google adds that get through my filter have been trying to sell the chub knife, I've yet to click to see what's so revolutionary

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The stubby bread knife doesn't make any sense. I pinch grip on my chefs knife but for sawing with a serrated blade I think most people get their hand around the grip.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oh please let them sell those wooden knives in Portland and post sales numbers. It's actually a very pretty knife - I have no idea how it functions but just as a piece of industrial design I like it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Why do people keep trying to reinvent the wheel?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shooting Blanks posted:

Oh please let them sell those wooden knives in Portland and post sales numbers. It's actually a very pretty knife - I have no idea how it functions but just as a piece of industrial design I like it.

Yeah I agree, the smoked oak one with the hand folded Damascus steel blade is really, really nice looking.

However, I would never buy a drat wooden knife.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
wooden knife seems bad because it will get grimy and have a lot of friction between wood and food

stubby knife seems totally pointless and you're buying a totally unproven product at best

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

These guys seem very trustworthy and like they know a lot about knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That looks so stupid.

Literally the only way these cats could figure out how to balance a knife was by cutting the handle off.

• Locked thread