Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Get rid of the rematch clause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Do a rematch if the finish is disputed or if the heel cheats, otherwise make them earn #1 contender again otherwise you are leaving valuable storytelling options on the table

oatgan fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 28, 2016

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

the rematch clause really makes short any and all excitement from someone new winning the title in nxt

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tweak posted:

the rematch clause really makes short any and all excitement from someone new winning the title in nxt

Especially when there's only four or five Takeovers a year and you're only getting two unique main events. They should be more willing to do rematches/title changes on normal episodes of NXT and try to have a unique main event every Takeover.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Just for fun, let's look up all the Takeovers and their main events, to see if there's a trend worth noting.

Arrival: Bo Dallas (c) vs. Adrian Neville
Takeover: Adrian Neville (c) vs. Tyson Kidd
Fatal 4-Way: Adrian Neville (c) vs. Sami Zayn vs. Tyler Breeze vs. Tyson Kidd
R-Evolution: Adrian Neville (c) vs. Sami Zayn
Rival: Sami Zayn (c) vs. Kevin Owens
Unstoppable: Kevin Owens (c) vs. Sami Zayn
Brooklyn: Finn Balor (c) vs. Kevin Owens
Respect: Bayley (c) vs. Sasha Banks
London: Finn Balor (c) vs. Samoa Joe
Dallas: Finn Balor (c) vs. Samoa Joe
The End: Samoa Joe (c) vs. Finn Balor
Brooklyn 2: Samoa Joe (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
Toronto: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Samoa Joe

So, Neville had a long title reign, but he also had a steady rotation of new challengers, with the 4-way being built as a tossup where everyone had a credible case to win. Sami/Owens was an intensely personal feud that probably would've went longer if Sami didn't get injured. Sasha/Bayley was basically them going "whoops, you should've main-evented Brooklyn, here's a make-good."

After that? Balor/Joe, Balor/Joe, Balor/Joe, Joe/Nak, Joe/Nak. Presumably we'll get Joe/Nak again in San Antonio, which would make 6 Takeovers in a row Joe headlined where he only fought 2 guys.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/803613855242981376

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

rovert, do you know if they're looking at doing a 32-person deal again or if it will be scaled back to 16?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

rovert, do you know if they're looking at doing a 32-person deal again or if it will be scaled back to 16?
Genuinely don't know. Just they've scouted everywhere.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I really hope they do 32. They can find 32 women to fill the tournament, and doing 16 makes it seem kinda like less of a big deal than the CWC.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I'm assuming Asuka will be watching this tournament from her throne of skulls in the background.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stale Saltines posted:

I'm assuming Asuka will be watching this tournament from her throne of skulls in the background.

Well nobody has booked that but.... yes, she will be doing that anyway.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
If they can only get 16 women they should do it G1 Climax style.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Solus posted:

If they can only get 16 women they should do it G1 Climax style.

What is the G1 Climax style of tournament? I'm not familiar.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

projecthalaxy posted:

What is the G1 Climax style of tournament? I'm not familiar.

Two blocks, round robin in each, winners of each block face off

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Two blocks, round robin in each, winners of each block face off

Also everyone gets injured and most of the matches are forgettable

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My anticipation of the women's tournament is directly proportional to whether or not they can get any STARDOM talent.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Benne posted:

My anticipation of the women's tournament is directly proportional to whether or not they can get any STARDOM talent.

Yeah, basically.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I basically know nothing about the women's indies so I would be really interested to see a CWC equivalent in the women's division. Get Lita or Trish to come back and be the color commentator like Bryan was.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

projecthalaxy posted:

I basically know nothing about the women's indies so I would be really interested to see a CWC equivalent in the women's division. Get Lita or Trish to come back and be the color commentator like Bryan was.
Oh god no

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, Lita is really bad on the pre-shows.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
WWE should get Lenny Leonard to do the play by play. He calls SHINE, Evolve, and SHIMMER, so he would be perfect.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Tbh the only person I'm really interested in seeing is Candice LeRae because I've never seen her in a match.

Then again the only person I wanted to see in the CWC was Ibushi and that's how Tozawa came into my life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope Kota Ibushi is in the Women's Tournament :shobon:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DM Punk posted:

WWE should get Lenny Leonard to do the play by play. He calls SHINE, Evolve, and SHIMMER, so he would be perfect.

solo he's better than pretty much every announce team working today

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

oatgan posted:

Also everyone gets injured and most of the matches are forgettable

And lowcard randos go over top talent in the first rounds to try and sell the lie that anybody could win when you know drat well Bad Luck Fale isn't gonna win the loving G1.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
there's no way lita's not on that desk team unfortunately

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

checksin posted:

there's no way lita's not on that desk team unfortunately

If they do this, I hope she at least develops some chemistry with Mauro and gets to do more natural commentary without scripts. Her stilted, canned banter with Booker and Lawler on the pre-shows is just unbearable.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Now you've got me thinking about who could be there and now I'm worried they'll have Foley on commentary to continue being weird about women.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

And lowcard randos go over top talent in the first rounds to try and sell the lie that anybody could win when you know drat well Bad Luck Fale isn't gonna win the loving G1.

He should though

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

Now you've got me thinking about who could be there and now I'm worried they'll have Foley on commentary to continue being weird about women.

With Lawler as his co-commentator

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They'll probably just go with Mauro/Graves since that's a bulletproof duo, but if they really want a woman on commentary to show their commitment to women's wrestling ... yeah, it's gonna be Lita, as much as I might dread that.

Trish is pregnant and probably not eager to fly to Florida for several weeks of tapings.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Renee did commentary on NXT for a while, I'd hope she gets the gig.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

keevo posted:

Tbh the only person I'm really interested in seeing is Candice LeRae because I've never seen her in a match.

Then again the only person I wanted to see in the CWC was Ibushi and that's how Tozawa came into my life.

She rules, although her niche on the indies was wrestling dudes and a lot of people didn't consider her matches with other women to be as good. I wonder if they would play up her being married to Gargano if they did bring her in, John Boy's always referred to her just as 'my fiance' in promos up until now.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

pressedbunny posted:

Renee did commentary on NXT for a while, I'd hope she gets the gig.

She was pretty bad at commentary though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

keevo posted:

Yeah. I mostly remember her going "oh wow!" at every big move.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

Shine posted:

Yeah. I mostly remember her going "oh wow!" at every big move.
She's no Susan Saint James, that's for sure

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

keevo posted:

Tbf I think that was her second gig with the company, and even then she was still better than Saxton or Otunga are now.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They'll probably just have Natalya in the booth since she lives right there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wishlist for women's invitational is Kairi Hojo, Cheerleader Melissa, LuFisto, Kimber Lee, maybe they can pilfer Jade or Gail Kim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mickie James in the tournament.

• Locked thread