Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Been trying to think up of a Scorching Ray totem build to start the next league...could use some opinions since i'm just picking up stuff that seems good to have?

From what i've read, SR doesn't benefit from Crit or Radius or Ignite but from "Spell" Damage, Cast Speed, Duration and i think burn/dot damage?

Hierophant for 3 totems but no Ancestral Bond so i can do damage with stuff like orb of storms and proc Equilibrium+Overload? Supposedly 3 totems with SR work nice cause you get almost instant 8 stacks debuff on targets and each ray will benefit from that. Grabbed Whispers of Doom for another curse but not sure if it's needed (Temporal Chains, Ele weakeness/Flamibility)

This is what i've come up with for now: http://poeplanner.com/AAQAAN8lAABt-...ToWhoIAAAAAAA==

EDIT: this is for softcore btw. And i guess the item i want/need for this is that +2 to fire gems unique staff?

madstrike fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
About the only suggestion I'd make is to drop the Potency of Will cluster and the totem life nodes in Totemic Mastery and grab the Totemic Zeal cluster instead. I found upping the placement speed of totems made things much smoother for my Hierophant last league.

Searing Touch would be the staff you're referring to, and that would most assuredly be BiS for that skill.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 29, 2016

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Why would a searing touch be better than a +3 staff?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Presumably because you're dropping 1 level on your main skill (3 on non-fire supports) but gaining 160% damage, and the cast speed won't hurt either.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Because I like to play builds that were cool in the previous league I'll be running pizza totems. I've never really done a totem build before.

http://poeplanner.com/AAQAAPMVAAB3-...tJ8km68VgAAAAAA

Not sure about the shamanistic fury cluster because I don't know how much I'm gonna want placement speed. The arcane potency cluster seems out of the way, but I think I want all the crit I can get. Should maybe drop it for throatseeker to save a point?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

fennesz posted:

So I've had some major build apathy, or maybe just build overload, going into the new league this week. I am thinking a flame totem build because I've never done a totem build before and it looks fun and cheap. I would end up adapting this to something similar but without dumping ex into insanely high end gear. Most builds I usually gently caress up bandits and just keep going anyway.

Or I was thinking I would do a tornado shot/barrage archer because I've never really done a bow build. And it seems cheapish.

Anyone have experience or input on builds like this? I am sure I could make either work. But if someone actually know what the gently caress they're doing I would appreciate any feedback.

I love Flame Totem and I've played it for like four leagues straight now, but in my experience it slows down and hits a wall around mid-tier maps and you have to sink a lot of currency into it to get much further. It's incredibly safe though, especially if you go Chieftain and get the taunting totems node. You can just sit way back and let your totems tank and kill everything. The new +1 totem shield also looks really interesting since it means you don't have to path to Blood Magic. But I think if you want to go with totems you're better off with Ancestral Warchief over FT.

I think this league I'm going to go with some flavor of Vortex. Not sure which yet, but cast on crit Vortex looks like it has pretty insane clear speed.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

..btt posted:

Presumably because you're dropping 1 level on your main skill (3 on non-fire supports) but gaining 160% damage, and the cast speed won't hurt either.

You'd be losing two levels, rather than one, due to Empower not getting a +1 bonus.

I think Searing Touch is certainly good, but a +3 staff with at least decent spellcasting stats would probably be far better.
Scorching Ray has very few ways to scale its damage. Increasing the base damage is especially important for it -- this means gem levels are a high priority.
You will likely end up with several hundred % increased fire/burning damage from passives and other gear, meaning the damage stats on Searing Touch don't contribute as much.
If I recall correctly offhand, two gem levels ended up being worth something like 7k DPS per DOT stack for Mathil's Scorching Ray character.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

..btt posted:

You are gaining 2 extra levels for every gem since you are probably going to use a level 4 empower and at that point I'm pretty sure that a +3 staff is going to be better. It's prohibitively expensive though. Searing touch will most likely be a much better option, especially since you can get pretty good mods on your staff. Just as an example:

It would be stupid to spend that much currency on it, but I'm pretty sure that Searing Touch isn't actually BiS.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I keep forgetting that Empower is a thing (because one has never dropped for me :argh:).

So yeah, Searing Touch isn't BiS, but it is something that can be acquired fairly cheaply and has pretty good stats for the skill.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Tykero posted:

You'd be losing two levels, rather than one, due to Empower not getting a +1 bonus.

I think Searing Touch is certainly good, but a +3 staff with at least decent spellcasting stats would probably be far better.
Scorching Ray has very few ways to scale its damage. Increasing the base damage is especially important for it -- this means gem levels are a high priority.
You will likely end up with several hundred % increased fire/burning damage from passives and other gear, meaning the damage stats on Searing Touch don't contribute as much.
If I recall correctly offhand, two gem levels ended up being worth something like 7k DPS per DOT stack for Mathil's Scorching Ray character.

Yeah. In today's video on Scorching Ray, he showed that even a Level 2 Empower beat a Increased Burning Damage (68%) by several thousand tooltip DPS

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ok so a friend has badgered me into playing this game with him on the next league, and he only plays hardcore; someone suggest a build for me because this poo poo is impenetrable for a newbie. i'm thinking about tornado shot archer?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Reiterpallasch posted:

ok so a friend has badgered me into playing this game with him on the next league, and he only plays hardcore; someone suggest a build for me because this poo poo is impenetrable for a newbie. i'm thinking about tornado shot archer?

Sounds good, neversink has a good guide, but i can't say if its a good idea to follow that build for hc.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

find a friend who doesn't play hardcore

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

find a friend who doesn't play hardcore

Yeah, this game is pretty drat punishing to newbies, making you start off hardcore is kinda cruel.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Plus it's not like the days of Ambush/Invasion where SC and HC had different league gimmicks.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Alternatively, just flail around alongside him and get him killed and then you'll have a solid reason to suggest just playing sc

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

zxqv8 posted:

Alternatively, just flail around alongside him and get him killed and then you'll have a solid reason to suggest just playing sc

Go explosive arrow/conversion trap :getin:

Any totem build is a good beginner hc build though. Flameblast or Righteous Fire totems are good choices right now, which are totems that make giant death circles on the floor constantly and will make it hard for your buddy to tell what's going on (always a bonus), while righteous fire totems create a small aura of fire around them that burn poo poo for a ton of damage.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Speaking of explosive arrow, I think a Scorching Ray totem will be good for EA single target. -24% fire resistance on top of everything else, it's like a wither totem for fire but not as good.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Spooky. :ghost:

edit - Also, handy guide for jewel corruptions.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 29, 2016

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

Play hardcore because it's the best and most fun. You should also probably make this guy your best friend.

Neversinks tornado shot guide is excellent with plenty of concessions for hardcore that as you get better at the game you can feel free to ignore.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Play the core that you enjoy the most.

Also remember, life/energy shield nodes are a trap, avoid at all costs.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Eldritch Battery + Chaos Innoculation = insta-win the game

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Eezee posted:

You are gaining 2 extra levels for every gem since you are probably going to use a level 4 empower and at that point I'm pretty sure that a +3 staff is going to be better. It's prohibitively expensive though. Searing touch will most likely be a much better option, especially since you can get pretty good mods on your staff. Just as an example:

It would be stupid to spend that much currency on it, but I'm pretty sure that Searing Touch isn't actually BiS.

that thing is not worth 100ex. theres a reason it was listed 3 months ago and hasnt sold

i dont know the exact steps involved, but you can prob craft up the +3 with a few ex, scour off the suffixes for another ex, multimod for 2ex, and adding the rest of the mods is chump change

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Do I want to jump on the blade flurry :bandwagon: or do an ed/contagion build to start the league?

J
Jun 10, 2001

We should have patch notes soon-ish, I'd wait to decide on your build until we see what is changing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm doing either an Explosive Arrow Berserker or a Vortex Inquisitor to start. I'll build a Blade Flurry Assassin when I have the currency.

Leaning towards the Inquisitor, because I've done a bunch of EA builds before and the Berserker is just more of the same but amped up.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
As someone who's never been around for the beginning of a League before (and as someone who has kind of been enjoying the Essence characters that are going to be moving into Standard): how much am I missing out on by not playing in the League? I haven't done any trading, so the fresh economy doesn't mean much to me; anything else besides the new Breach-related things?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

think im either doing blade furry or old man totem depending on patch notes
oh hey they just went live: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1773975

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Ghost of Starman posted:

As someone who's never been around for the beginning of a League before (and as someone who has kind of been enjoying the Essence characters that are going to be moving into Standard): how much am I missing out on by not playing in the League? I haven't done any trading, so the fresh economy doesn't mean much to me; anything else besides the new Breach-related things?

Playing in the first few weeks is key if you want to play with other guildies or just have an active guild chat in general. After the first month things die down a bunch, after the second month it's pretty much dead. If that doesn't matter to you, nor does a fresh economy, then there's no reason to care then.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
FACEBREAKERS NERFED, WORLD IS ENDING

edit: ele grand spectrum has been gutted, now it's 4%. haha rip those people who spend 30+ex on them

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Cospri's Malice and Mjölner now have 250ms cooldowns on triggering socketed skills (up from 100ms).

Reduced block and spell block values on Rumi's Concoction by around 33%. A Divine Orb can be used to reroll the stats within this new range.

Facebreaker's critical strike multiplier has been reduced to 45%. A Divine Orb can be used to reroll the stats within this new range.

Grand Spectrum's increased elemental damage has been reduced to 4%. A Divine Orb can be used to reroll the stats within this new range.

Soul Strike's faster start of energy shield recharge has been reduced to 80%. A Divine Orb can be used to reroll the stats within this new range.

Energy From Within's additional energy shield has been reduced to 3-6%. A Divine Orb can be used to reroll the stats within this new range.

Blade Vortex has been refactored. Instead of separate hits for each active blade, the blades now increase the frequency at which all enemies in the radius take damage, and the amount of damage they take. The skill now has a base hit frequency of 600ms and has 10% increased hit rate per active blade. Its damage has been reduced by 30% at all levels and it deals 30% more damage per active blade.

A character can now only receive one flask charge per Critical Strike every 200ms. This is shared across all flasks.

Few other changes (blade flurry minor nerf, blight 35% buff) but those were the ones that stuck out to me. Get hosed, meta build from last league!

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Reddit meltdowns imminent, those are some hefty balance changes. Still nothing about vinktars though :V

edit: SRS got a massive buff too, assuming they gave it the same "20 stacks max but 60% more damage" treatment that BV got. Could be a sleeper hit.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Think I'll stick with my Blade Flurry idea.

Glad to see Pathfinder getting nerfed.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
"Decoy Totem can no longer evade and has a 4 second cooldown at all levels."

Ahahaha, how the gently caress can a totem evade, I didn't even know they could do that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I am pleased with most of these nerfs. It bothered me that I frequently ran around with facebreakers because 90 multi is amazing.

Maybe I'll do SRS? Having to only get a 20 stack is a lot better.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Those raider buffs are intense.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

I love Flame Totem and I've played it for like four leagues straight now, but in my experience it slows down and hits a wall around mid-tier maps and you have to sink a lot of currency into it to get much further. It's incredibly safe though, especially if you go Chieftain and get the taunting totems node. You can just sit way back and let your totems tank and kill everything. The new +1 totem shield also looks really interesting since it means you don't have to path to Blood Magic. But I think if you want to go with totems you're better off with Ancestral Warchief over FT.

I think this league I'm going to go with some flavor of Vortex. Not sure which yet, but cast on crit Vortex looks like it has pretty insane clear speed.

Thank you for this. I think I will stick with AW despite the nerf

GGG posted:

Ancestral Warchief now does 10% less damage at all levels
10% damage doesn't seem like much when a lot of AW tooltip DPS has been hundreds of thousands. Granted my gear will make it nowhere near that. But I can't imagine it'll really struggle for damage. But who knows.

I am planning on trying a Tornado Shot/Barrage build first and will switch to AW if it doesn't pan out. I think a lot of people will be tooling around with foils and 2h phys DPS so bows might sneak by on the cheap to start.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 30, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Minion/Totem ele res support has a 20% more minion ele damage mod on it now, so that only further nudges me towards SRS. That and minions in general have much better resist bases now.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Cool Raider buffs - Frenzy on hit! I kind of want to make a LS character now, or Molten with added chaos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Count Uvula posted:

Those raider buffs are intense.

I almost skipped the frenzy on hit vs rare/unique - that's awesome, lets frenzy sustain happen without opening it up to discharge abuse.

Flame golemsdoing 200% more damage is crazy, they have the potential to become very hard hitting summons.

• Locked thread