Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Test fitting some decals. I need to get smaller ones since the smallest I have right now are about this size. I initially got 1/25-1/10 decals so I could have large decals of characters for the larger ships but it's at the cost of having larger decals as well. Then again, I don't know how smaller they get since these ships are only about 1.25" long. Maybe decals for penny racers exist?

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Where's the Feisar logo

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

signalnoise posted:

Where's the Feisar logo

Nah, more like a Goteki or Qirex.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Piranha for life nerds

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I just meant those two manufacturers tend to have wider ships with central cockpit and side fins where Feisar is just a line.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ijyt posted:

Piranha for life nerds
:same:

I'm going to try and find smaller logos.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It seems to be a rule that any sci-fi racing sport have at least one contender with a ship named Pirhana, I would not tempt bad juju by deviating

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Chill la Chill posted:

:same:

I'm going to try and find smaller logos.

Should try and get some Sony logos etc and go full Akira bike

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

w00tmonger posted:

Should try and get some Sony logos etc and go full Akira bike

The decal sheet I got is full anime so it has a bunch of japanese companies. They're just slightly too large for the smaller ships. :negative:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Also I really like the first repainted ship, reminds me of the tagged up TIE from Rebels.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

After pulling some ridiculous janky bullshit with some scum in a friend's narrative X-Wing/TRPG/Rebel Assault game I am totally on board with some Wipeout ships.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

After pulling some ridiculous janky bullshit with some scum in a friend's narrative X-Wing/TRPG/Rebel Assault game I am totally on board with some Wipeout ships.

oh poo poo this is a great idea

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

All his custom rules, maps, and details of the campaign so far are here; http://vom-krieg.blogspot.co.nz/p/talathen-sector-campaign.html

They've been playing for ages, I just drop in when I'm free.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
God drat thats loving cool!

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone ever ordered from Arcane Miniatures before? Also, does anyone know if Enigma Miniatures are still making poo poo?
I put an order in (I hope) with Arcane a few days ago and haven't received any email from them. I sent a follow up email yesterday and still, nothing. =(

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Irate Tree posted:

Has anyone ever ordered from Arcane Miniatures before? Also, does anyone know if Enigma Miniatures are still making poo poo?
I put an order in (I hope) with Arcane a few days ago and haven't received any email from them. I sent a follow up email yesterday and still, nothing. =(

I bought a couple of Scale 75 paint sets from there. There was no communication and it was insanely slow, but I got it eventually.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Get a compressor with a tank - you won't have to deal with constant running, and the tank helps to regulate the air a bit by eliminating pulsing. You can get a Master compressor, with tank, for like $30 more. If you're just starting out, that brush is a decent beginner's airbrush, without having to spend an additional $70.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 30, 2016

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
What's the best source for painters tape for hazard stripes? The local hardware stores only carry much larger sizes and though I was able to find painters tape for cars online they want almost as much to ship the stuff as they're charging for the product itself. The local Michaels/Joanns don't have them either.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Short of trimming down normal painters tape with a ruler and xacto, Tamiya sells 2mm, 3mm, and 5mm tape.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ijyt posted:

Tamiya sells 2mm, 3mm, and 5mm tape.

I hate that stuff so much. Every time I use it on a surface with even a slight curve it wicks paint under itself or otherwise fucks up. Every time I use it I wish I'd done something else.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

wdarkk posted:

I hate that stuff so much. Every time I use it on a surface with even a slight curve it wicks paint under itself or otherwise fucks up. Every time I use it I wish I'd done something else.

From previous posts in this thread the trick is to first paint over the area you're masking for with the base color, so the paint that wicks under the tape is the same color as the base. Then you paint over the unmasked area again with the new color and remove the tape. I dunno what kind of tape is best for this though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

signalnoise posted:

From previous posts in this thread the trick is to first paint over the area you're masking for with the base color, so the paint that wicks under the tape is the same color as the base. Then you paint over the unmasked area again with the new color and remove the tape. I dunno what kind of tape is best for this though.

Thanks. Right now I'll just focus on not needing to use it very much, but if I do stripes in the future I'll be sure to remember this.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Cross-postin' from the Oath thread!

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Oath complete!

Not too pleased with these knights. I love the models but I'll paint the rest of them (80 or so) in a completely different scheme.

This one on the other hand I'm quite pleased. The sculpt itself is far from perfect, but I think I made it look good.

This is my Theme Challenge since his banner has a proppa orky skull on it.

This guy is probably the first model I've ever converted, about ten years ago. It's been primed and waiting to be repainted for ages, I wanted to see if I could save it.

These guys I'm very pleased with the results. I'm not too fond of their regular tree ghost color scheme, but I painted them similarly to my ghouls and they look a lot better as undead monstrosities stuck in trees.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any suggestions for fantasy models ranging from 3-6" in height and ideally won't break the bank? I've been digging through stuff from just whatever game systems are linked on the various mini-selling websites, but most stuff is all 25-30mm scale.

Basically no smaller than Privateer Press heavy warjacks / beasts... except I don't want to paint any of their stuff.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

There's a few larger monsters in the Reaper Bones range

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yeaa I've just been grabbing random larger Reapner Bones stuff off the shelf at the local store, but I kind of want to move onto something with better detail. Just finished up painting a Frost Giant that's basically the perfect size, but as I start to get better at painting the lack of model quality is making me sad :(

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sab669 posted:

Yeaa I've just been grabbing random larger Reapner Bones stuff off the shelf at the local store, but I kind of want to move onto something with better detail. Just finished up painting a Frost Giant that's basically the perfect size, but as I start to get better at painting the lack of model quality is making me sad :(

Yeah short of pretending giants are normal sized people you're not going to have a lot of luck with finding anything human in that size range that isn't an action figure or real boutique resin casting outfits. If you want to get even bigger than that you're looking at unpainted Japanese resin anime kits.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Sab669 posted:

Any suggestions for fantasy models ranging from 3-6" in height and ideally won't break the bank? I've been digging through stuff from just whatever game systems are linked on the various mini-selling websites, but most stuff is all 25-30mm scale.

How about Scale 75? (Go to http://scalegames.com if you're in the US.)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It doesn't need to be humanoid, I just played Warmahordes for years and don't want to buy/ paint stuff I've previously owned :v:

Some of that scale75 stuff looks rad though, I'll have to check it out when I'm at my actual computer instead of mobile though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Repaint some cool looking toys!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Repaint some cool looking toys!

Probably way too big, but Transformers are really fun to repaint, since they have pretty excessive (for a larger $25 toy) amounts of sculpted detail and missing paint applications.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Almost done with these guys. Cleaned up some lines, added better definition, and painted a reflection on the black Tron to make it more visually interesting (assaults the eyes). The one thing I hate is not uniformly adding black to ships gives it the glare from the overhead lights. This might actually get me to invest some time in making a cheap photo box so my models can look like some of those ~pro-painted~ ones, but I'm not trying to sell to anyone so eh. Anyway, once I add gloss and matte varnishes to them, they should disappear. Still not sure if I'm going to add sponsorship decals to them, but at the least I might use the Tau's artsy squadron circles on the watercolor ship's large purple fields to break it up.

I'm still on an 80s synthpop painting streak. I must paint a chrome ship like this before I'm done with this obsession. :stare:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You should experiment with gloss black if you're going for that style; its more finnicky to get evenly, but it looks crazy good with neon accents.

Also already been said, but those look pretty great :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Will that have a different finish from just painting matte black and applying a gloss coat?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Will that have a different finish from just painting matte black and applying a gloss coat?

Generally, you'll have a better finish starting from gloss than converting matte paint, since the paint will be smoother and contribute to the sheen (whereas glosscoated matte puts the shine above the textured surface).

If you dont have an airbrush you can handbrush Testors' enamels with some thinning. Just dont hand brush with the Model Masters line, that gets wonky.

Not saying you should do it to this one, just something to consider if your black-neon kick isn't sated afterwards :)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Because i hate money i started a small Dropzone commander Shaltari Army, and decided to follow their "stock" paint scheme.

This is tamiya model air yellow, and the orangey bit is citadel bloodletter glaze. I'm sort of looking for a more reddish/orangeish wash and i'd like some suggestions! also because the glaze doesn't leave any shadows as a wash does.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I need a recommendation for a very fine silver(ish) paint that I can use as a base for my 6mm Epic stuff. I'm looking to do Alpha Legion, and, since there will be multiple layers, I've got to do very fine coats that still cover well. This can be airbrush or rattlecan.

I have tried the Testors silver, and while it looks good, it was way too smooth and didn't have enough tooth for subsequent layers to grab onto.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

berzerkmonkey posted:

I need a recommendation for a very fine silver(ish) paint that I can use as a base for my 6mm Epic stuff. I'm looking to do Alpha Legion, and, since there will be multiple layers, I've got to do very fine coats that still cover well. This can be airbrush or rattlecan.

I have tried the Testors silver, and while it looks good, it was way too smooth and didn't have enough tooth for subsequent layers to grab onto.

Check out Citadel Air Ironbreaker, it's what i used for all my scourge and they came out very nice!

when a wash grips nicely, you know it's good.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Testors silver would look too nice and clean for 40k anyways, but if you ever do want that smooth look Tamiya clear colors are alcohol-based acrylics which will grip to it (at least to Chrome Silver, Testors has a lot of metallic variations).

They aren't expensive, and on top of other acrylics it also achieves a wet look that is great for blood and slime effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Frobbe posted:

Check out Citadel Air Ironbreaker, it's what i used for all my scourge and they came out very nice!

when a wash grips nicely, you know it's good.

Did you prime with another color, or is the Ironbreaker directly on the model?