Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Clearly I heard very wrong then. :downs:

According to the folks over at Serebii:

Serebii.net posted:

Base rate in Gen 6-7: 1/4096
Base rate in Gen 6-7 with Shiny Charm: 1/1365
Friend Safari: 1/512
Breeding with MM in Gen 6-7: 1/683
Breeding with MM + Shiny Charm in Gen 6-7: 1/512

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tyblazitar posted:

I believe all but one of them are exclusively found in the one pile on Route 10, so make sure to hit that one every day.
Serebii had said that but I didn't believe them. That's awful. Ugh. Oh well, I can grow more with a two-day lag once I get at least one of each!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
One day. One day Gamefreak will take pity on Ice types and remove one of their weaknesses. :smith:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i want to learn to competitive mon

how do i actually start because the community seems really hard to get into

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Internet Kraken posted:

That's pretty much the core hypocrisy of Smogon. Stealth rock is on literally every singles team. They've banned tons of stuff for being too prevalent or centralizing, but not that.

I don't get why singles players love their entry hazards so much but whatever floats their boat.

I think that entry hazards are fun--when they're out they add another level of complexity to when you decide to switch, you have to takes turns to set them up, and there are pokemon like Forretress whose entire niche is based on being able to set up or clear removal hazards, or blocking the other team from clearing out your entry hazards, like Jellicent.

That said, Stealth Rock caring about typing *is* pretty dumb.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

i poop fire posted:

According to the folks over at Serebii:
That still doesn't answer the question of the exact effects of SOS chaining on shiny encounter rate, which is something a lot of us really want to know.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Flopsy posted:

It's almost as if pikaclones suck or something. Mimikyu excluded because it rules.

I don't know- I like togedemaru. It may not know anything outside of gyroball but it does learn poison jab. Also its adorable and without thinking I got rid of nuzzle and placed thunderwave on it. However, it shoots thunderwave out of its butt so it makes it all okay again.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Flopsy posted:

It's almost as if pikaclones suck or something. Mimikyu excluded because it rules.

Pachirisu won a VGC worlds though!!!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

eonwe posted:

i want to learn to competitive mon

how do i actually start because the community seems really hard to get into

I'd recommend just going to Shodown and spectating matches in various formats. See what looks like fun to you and get an idea for how teams are built. There are probably extensive write ups you could read but I wouldn't know. Everything I learned about competitive was by asking questions here, watching matches, and just throwing teams at the wall to see what sticks.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

cancerianmoth posted:

I don't know- I like togedemaru. It may not know anything outside of gyroball but it does learn poison jab. Also its adorable and without thinking I got rid of nuzzle and placed thunderwave on it. However, it shoots thunderwave out of its butt so it makes it all okay again.

Ah, don't mind me. I'm just an old salt who has to drag herself out from under rock to complain about this poo poo every now again. There's a pokemon for everyone and it ain't my place to take it away from you.

The Shortest Path posted:

Pachirisu won a VGC worlds though!!!

Well that one wanted to be the best. Like no one ever was......

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

entry hazards are low risk high reward 👎

when you get to vgc and you have less turns to waste and a fraction of the switching, they're higher risk for less reward so you stop seeing it 👍

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It's there a specific way to get the berries that lower EVs?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Even in Smogon Doubles (which has generally been a better format than VGC doubles) hazards are a lot less prevalent apart from Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes, which is nice. I tend to like doubles more than singles in general, and that's one of the major reasons. Hazards and spins and spinblockers and anti-spinblockers is just a big pile of busywork when there could be more interesting decisions to make.

E: ^ one berry pile on route 10 apparently has them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks Baron Hoot, Peppero, Jess, Blue Steel, Shadowfax and Sploopums. It was a crazy ride. The end of credits had me tearing up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
90 accuracy more like zero accuracy haha :suicide:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-486089533

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd recommend just going to Shodown and spectating matches in various formats. See what looks like fun to you and get an idea for how teams are built. There are probably extensive write ups you could read but I wouldn't know. Everything I learned about competitive was by asking questions here, watching matches, and just throwing teams at the wall to see what sticks.

Yeah while posting on Smogon is good there's also a LOT of noise since, like thb said, there's a lot of Literal Children posting there and if you don't know who to listen to it isn't really helpful. There's really nothing stopping me from going on there and talking about how everyone is sleeping on Choice Specs Tapu Bulu aside from people telling me I'm dumb.

Contacting thb directly like he offered is probably a good way to dive straight in but you can also do stuff like post here and say "I think [6v6 singles, VGC doubles, etc.] looks cool, I made a lovely team, someone play against me and tell me what you think" if you don't want to jump right into the deep end. A lot of learning games is trial and error yeah, but the very early part of the process where you get beaten a lot goes by MUCH faster if you have someone to critique your team/decisions during the game or after. And people here are probably gonna be much friendlier on average than randoms on Showdown, especially in low ladder where everyone is trolling and running names like "BlackLivesDontMatter"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Captain Oblivious posted:

One day. One day Gamefreak will take pity on Ice types and remove one of their weaknesses. :smith:

And remove two weakness and resistor types for Grass.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

aaron "CYBERTRON" zheng just started his series of vgc 2017 and also put up an intro to 2017 teambuilding/rules. right now he's instructing drought torkoal to erupt in trick room

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

VGC is a poo poo format for retards that prefer gimmicks over strategy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ibblebibble posted:

Thanks Baron Hoot, Peppero, Jess, Blue Steel, Shadowfax and Sploopums. It was a crazy ride. The end of credits had me tearing up.

where are you guys getting these pictures of your hof team :(

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

qnqnx posted:

2016 sure, but 2017 VGC looks like it might actually be good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

aaron "CYBERTRON" zheng just started his series of vgc 2017 and also put up an intro to 2017 teambuilding/rules. right now he's instructing drought torkoal to erupt in trick room

Sick.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

thanks buddy

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

FInally getting my head around pvp. Z-Parting Shot is so clutch and has won me several games. Taunting a sweeper that is trying to setup, or a screener/spikes setter is equally so satisfying.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-486095313

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Note Block posted:

I currently have extra of the following:

11 Eevee - HA ability Anticipation, 2 Timid, 9 Modest (w/ 1 female), Ultra Ball
5 Goomy - 1 Hydration, 4 Sap Sipper, Calm, Beast Ball (potentially some perfect IVs)
3 Cubone - Lightning Rod, Jolly, Beast Ball
2 Grimer - HA ability Power of Alchemy, poo poo natures, Shadow Sneak and Curse egg moves, Luxury Ball
2 Feebas - Swift Swim, Bold, Dragon Breath and Pulse egg moves, Dive Ball (can trade w/ Prism Scale for Milotic evo if you provide one back)
2 Ditto - 1 Timid and 1 Modest
1 Kadabra - Syncronize, Modest (will turn in to Alakazam on trade)

Please let me know if you'd like anything!

I'm interested in the timid ditto if it hasn't been claimed
0619-7909-3613 kirtar IGN

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

where are you guys getting these pictures of your hof team :(

https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-team-planner

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Dizz posted:

Got destiny knots ready for whomever wanted one.

0233 - 1931 - 6531

I could use a Destiny Knot.

IGN Is Isabel. Code is 0189-8423-5030

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Phrosphor posted:

FInally getting my head around pvp. Z-Parting Shot is so clutch and has won me several games. Taunting a sweeper that is trying to setup, or a screener/spikes setter is equally so satisfying.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-486095313

alolan persian is The Truth man

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i just want to say how much a loving monster Kartana is, at -1 it OHKO'd my slowbro with max HP investment. chill out man

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I actually managed to catch Tapu Fini in a beast ball and of course its nature was Sassy instead of Modest :suicide:

qnqnx posted:

Given VGC changes every year I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. The first year when I really got into competitive was when X/Y released and the format was really fun. Huge variety of pokemon to use with none of the old legendaries lurking around to ruin it. ORAS was poo poo because it permitted all legendaries so every team was a primal nightmare. This year isn't as fun as X/Y, but its still a nice change of pace as its only the Alolan dex with no megas.

I'm not gonna claim its balanced but it is fun to play. There are people that run stupid gimmicks (extreme evo boost eeve :hurr:) but that's true of literally every format. At least we don't have to worry about dark void smeargle anymore.

EDIT: Basically you can only say VGC is gimmicky if you think all doubles strategies are inherently gimmicky, but that's just silly.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

I actually managed to catch Tapu Fini in a beast ball and of course its nature was Sassy instead of Modest :suicide:

I'm on hour five of resetting the Nebby story fight to try and force her into my only Beast Ball that I got from trade. How long did Tapu Fini take you?

MECHARL WINSLOW
Mar 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I wanted to catch a HA Dratini in a beast ball, but while chaining I didn't realize that Marvel Scale didn't have a notification whenever it activated, so it was a fun guessing game of thunder waving until hopefully one didn't shed it, while also constantly getting hit with dragon tail and safe guard. But I finally did it. Now to breed for jolly.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Basically you can only say VGC is gimmicky if you think all doubles strategies are inherently gimmicky, but that's just silly.

That + GameFreak's obsession with availability based banlists and poor attempts at balance.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Note Block posted:

I'm on hour five of resetting the Nebby story fight to try and force her into my only Beast Ball that I got from trade. How long did Tapu Fini take you?

I've been doing it on and off for like, uh, an hour total? Probably gotten lucky actually catching it not once, but twice now. Of course both times synchronize didn't work so it had a poo poo nature, making that luck pointless.

How exactly does synchronize work in this game? You just need a KO'd abra in the front slot with the right nature to have a 50% chance, correct?

qnqnx posted:

That + GameFreak's obsession with availability based banlists and poor attempts at balance.

Okay you're just being dumb then. Got it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 30, 2016

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

qnqnx posted:

Counterpoint; the word "gimmick" is vague and meaningless in any metagame context.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Singles appeals to Spikes, Doubles favor Johnnies.

Both have value, but play to different tastes. I personally prefer Doubles, but that's just because I like the added depth and don't have much patience for the amount of switching in Singles.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
behold, togedemaru, the little zap zinger that could

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-486120524

ALL HAIL TOGEDEMARU

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-486127570

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 30, 2016

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Holy poo poo, I just hatched a shiny Mareanie on the 3rd egg!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Bleck posted:

Counterpoint; the word "gimmick" is vague and meaningless in any metagame context.

Yeah, good point. The idea of there being gimmicks in a competitive game is predicated on there being right and wrong ways to play, which just isn't true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i am so pleased with how togedemaru performs that i am breeding up a bunch of them with fakeout as an egg move and 5/6ivs; if you'd like one, watch this thread tomorrow and ill start giving them away

things im looking for: literally anything with egg moves, interesting balls, or otherwise useful in vgc