Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It should have been you, Emily Wong. Godspeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alain Post posted:

It should have been you, Emily Wong. Godspeed

At least Wong had a good Twitter during the launch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Android Blues posted:

I literally never understood what people had against that character. Is it just the fact that she's a cameo of a real person? I don't know who that person is, but Diana Allers is 400% unremarkable.

The whole thing came off like a dewritos-level infiltration of gaming journalism with gaming product. It didn't fit the story and her character model was the stuff of nightmares. Should have been Emily.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

exquisite tea posted:

The whole thing came off like a dewritos-level infiltration of gaming journalism with gaming product. It didn't fit the story and her character model was the stuff of nightmares. Should have been Emily.

should have been a choice between Khalisah and Emily

or both!

that coulda been an interesting side story tbh

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

This sounds like a really good mod but it also sounds ridiculously ambitious for a game that wasn't really meant to be modded. I mean there's barely any nude and sex mods for ME3 and that's kind of the barometer for how easy something is to mod. Does it actually do half the things the descriptions says?

I just recruited Tali with it installed and already I've noticed a lot of different things. I'd say, since it's so easy to install, give it a shot if your even a little interested in played ME3 again.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

moist turtleneck posted:

Wait does she have boobs and a butt like that in real life?!

BBBOOOOIIIIIIIIIIOOOIIINNNGGGG

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

we've mastered interstellar faster than light travel and gravity wells and also have invisible fields that make it so we can still show our facial expressions while on a planet with no oxygen...but i need you to collect 35 spaceweeds in order to upgrade your shoes

It's called economics, the spacengineer only needs materials from one spaceweed to upgrade your shoes, the other 34 are to cover his costs:

Labor (*min 1 hour) for a union certified space cobbler
Other material costs
Licensing fees for use of ShoeCAD
Rental / Wear & Tear of space lathes & CNCNC's
Export tariffs on 34 spaceweeds

They really add up.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Psion posted:

i enjoy reading them but I think they fundamentally misunderstood Milky's thesis and it's a little rough for someone who so frequently argues not to take the time to try and understand, ask for clarification, and engage someone else's argument.

I get the broad thrust of Milky Moor's (I feel kinda inaccurate and sloppy - sorry) argument: there is a difference in scale between Reapers and squad-based cover shooting; Mass Effect has a traditional Campbellian transcendental hero protagonist while Freespace does not. However neither is relevant to what I actually asked! Do the Reapers cull galactic civilisations to make room for younger races? (Yes, this is text.) Does being a cinematic third-person shooter game hinder Mass Effect from using that premise effectively? (No, unless you demand the Reapers be punchable in some form).

If you really want a long-form post from me I suppose I could PM you or something, but why on earth would anyone want that?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Nevets posted:

It's called economics, the spacengineer only needs materials from one spaceweed to upgrade your shoes, the other 34 are to cover his costs:

Labor (*min 1 hour) for a union certified space cobbler
Other material costs
Licensing fees for use of ShoeCAD
Rental / Wear & Tear of space lathes & CNCNC's
Export tariffs on 34 spaceweeds

They really add up.

Spacengineer just gonna smoke 30 spaceweeds and give me a real hackjob set of sneaks

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty pissed that Mass Effect: Androgynous isn't going to have any 10 butthole fetch quests

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

moist turtleneck posted:

lol I love that the ghost of zaphod haunts all of SA

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh, what happened to him?

???

Wanting to know this. As far I know he's still alive and (bad) posting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I looked at the Doom thread and it doesn't look like was banned or anything, so I may have just misunderstood.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

Pretty pissed that Mass Effect: Androgynous isn't going to have any 10 butthole fetch quests

That's only because you're only ever able to date one crew member though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Alain Post posted:

It was the best game Bioware ever made.

Look at this fucker who never played MDK2

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Transmetropolitan posted:

She is the IGN reporter insert, right?

Why the gently caress they allowed that to happen again?

Because they killed off Emily Wong in a twitter update.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Arcsquad12 posted:

Would she be so beloved without that final blaze of glory though? Always seemed like a catch-22 to me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reclaimer posted:

Would she be so beloved without that final blaze of glory though? Always seemed like a catch-22 to me.

Artists are only truly appreciated after they are dead.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Brain hemorrhage from repeated facepunches from cyborg space marine?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mymla posted:

Brain hemorrhage from repeated facepunches from cyborg space marine?

Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani is not Emily Wong.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I can't keep track of all these bloody journalists.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The chobot thing is the one time I can say "it's about ethics in gaming journalism" with a straight face.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

I have started my annual Christmas Trilogy run and I wanted to tell you guys know about a mod I got for ME3 that adds a lot of cool features. It's called Expanded Galaxy Mod. Since the last thread was up for nearly 5 years, I won't pretend like it wasn't mentioned but I just thought I'd share it in case no one has heard of it. It's also very easy to install.

Here's a link.
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/350/
I'm sorry, I'm like a hundred posts behind

So if you use the "new" squadmates, there's no dialogue between them and you during the mission like there sometimes is with the vanilla crew squad, right? It's only a gameplay/model change?

Also, is this ALOT texture pack worth using, or are they, like, spergy alterations to poo poo where they shift a color or add heavily eye-shadowed eyes to characters (lol, more than Bioware already's done - ASHLEY I'M LOOKIN' AT YOU)?

I actually thought ME3 looked pretty good, all things considered.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 29, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lt. Danger posted:

Whoa nelly

I know this hurts you, Shepard.

Lt. Danger posted:

I get the broad thrust of Milky Moor's (I feel kinda inaccurate and sloppy - sorry) argument: there is a difference in scale between Reapers and squad-based cover shooting; Mass Effect has a traditional Campbellian transcendental hero protagonist while Freespace does not. However neither is relevant to what I actually asked! Do the Reapers cull galactic civilisations to make room for younger races? (Yes, this is text.) Does being a cinematic third-person shooter game hinder Mass Effect from using that premise effectively? (No, unless you demand the Reapers be punchable in some form).

If you really want a long-form post from me I suppose I could PM you or something, but why on earth would anyone want that?

Pfft, I'd like to see you write better at 1AM, buddy!

The Reapers cull galactic civilisations, but I don't think it is immediately clear in the text that it is done to make room for younger races. The Catalyst claims it is done to prevent synthetic life from becoming an existential threat. The fact that the Reapers do it every fifty thousand years and preserve the old species as Reapers (and that this preservation is apparently good) comes across as more of a side-effect.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Actually it comes across as evidence that the two shitheads in charge made the part about reapers trying to stop synthetics at 4:00am the day before it went gold

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
All the stuff about synthetic uprisings is post-hoc rationalization for the Reaper desire to reproduce.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

exquisite tea posted:

Also her voice acting was subpar.

Arcsquad12 posted:

RIP the Raloi.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Milky Moor posted:

I know this hurts you, Shepard.

Pfft, I'd like to see you write better at 1AM, buddy!

The Reapers cull galactic civilisations, but I don't think it is immediately clear in the text that it is done to make room for younger races. The Catalyst claims it is done to prevent synthetic life from becoming an existential threat. The fact that the Reapers do it every fifty thousand years and preserve the old species as Reapers (and that this preservation is apparently good) comes across as more of a side-effect.

quote:

Catalyst: The created will always rebel against their creators. But we found a way to stop that from happening, a way to restore order.

Shepard: By wiping out organic life?

Catalyst: No. We harvest advanced civilisations, leaving the younger ones alone. Just as we left your people alive the last time we were here.

Shepard: But you killed the rest.

Catalyst: We helped them ascend so they could make way for new life, storing the old life in Reaper form.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You guys keep saying Catalyst even though his name is Star Kid

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Lt. Danger's posts.... are good.

Alain Post posted:

The ending was good.

what the heck are you doin dude???

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm pointing out things that I think are good.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The idea of an "I liked ME3 and its ending" gimmick is a pretty good one though, give him some credit.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The idea of an "I liked ME3 and its ending" gimmick is a pretty good one though, give him some credit.

All things in Mass Effect are good, friend. Particularly the parts I write words about.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

yeah ok :agreed:

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Milky Moor posted:

That's kind of a key thing. Shepard - and the player - interacts with the world through either shooting or talking and both of these options have clear win/loss outcomes in the eyes of the player. In that sense, the Reapers had to be brought down to Sovereign and Harbinger to give Shepard someone to talk to and interact with. But ME3 really prevents the player/Shepard from doing either of those things (if they shoot the Catalyst, they get the worst possible ending, too, which smacks of someone being upset over the ending's reception). Part of that is because the Reapers themselves - a race of sentient super-battleships - aren't exactly suited for a three-person squad combat game. If the Reapers were defeated by having enough war assets in a space battle outside Shepard's control, that'd be unfulfilling. If the Reapers were brought down by killing Harbinger, or convincing them to leave the galaxy with a Paragon interrupt, that'd also be unfulfilling. Sometimes, I think Bioware had a fundamental conflict between their antagonists and the scale of their gameplay and that ME3 was doomed to have a poor ending.

This is a good point and I'm going to quote it so it doesn't get lost in the wall of text.

In a game where you do 2 things: talk to people & shoot people with a hand gun, how do you actually create a satisfying conclusion to a narrative (where a major theme is overcoming impossible odds and not, like, facing the inevitability of your own death) where the main antagonist is an enormous fleet of multi-kilometer long hyper advanced living juggernauts who presumably can't be defeated by talking to them or shooting them with a hand gun? This isn't an unresolvable problem, but it does actually have to be resolved if you want to tell a good and satisfying story in your 9 figure AAA video game trilogy who's success hundreds of people are counting on to keep their bills paid.

Mass Effect 1 resolved this by making a humanoid agent of the reapers to serve as an antagonist for you to fight against instead, and leaving the space battles to be a back drop which you're only indirectly involved in. It worked pretty well.

Mass Effect 2 resolved this with the suicide mission, making the game about your team and achieving a concrete objective (assaulting the collector base). It worked pretty well except the big overgrown terminator you fight at the end, which was laughable, but that's mostly a visual design issue and not a gameplay+narrative one.

Mass Effect 3 never resolved this at all, and ended with you just being talked at by a magic space kid. The truly bizarre thing is they already took the time and effort to develop a boss battle where you fight a reaper on foot, they just decided to work that encounter into the middle of the narrative instead of the climax. Why they decided to have you fight a nameless reaper on a planet like one main character directly cares about instead of, I don't know, fighting Harbinger on the Citadel as the final fleet battle plays out around you or something is completely baffling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Mass Effect 3 never resolved this at all, and ended with you just being talked at by a magic space kid. The truly bizarre thing is they already took the time and effort to develop a boss battle where you fight a reaper on foot, they just decided to work that encounter into the middle of the narrative instead of the climax. Why they decided to have you fight a nameless reaper on a planet like one main character directly cares about instead of, I don't know, fighting Harbinger on the Citadel as the final fleet battle plays out around you or something is completely baffling.

I can get them not doing that because having the way to defeat the Reapers be "defeat the big boss Reaper" would be extremely weak. Say what you want about the Starkid, but the fact that the Reapers essentially quit (rather than having you actually conventionally beat them) actually does less damage to their reputation as an unstoppable force than "John Shepard! Hit Harbingers' weak point and the Reapers will all die!"

This is definitely anticlimactic but anticlimaxes aren't necessarily bad. Better writers than the Mass Effect writers can make great uses of anticlimaxes as a device (see: The Sopranos, where this happened frequently)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 30, 2016

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Kill the big boss reaper isn't particularly innovative but its a hell of a lot better than what they actually did. Excellent execution of a well traveled idea is vastly underrated, and is the secret to most successful entertainment. Trying something new and failing is only better if there's hints of actual genius in the work, and Mass Effect 3's ending didn't have that.

Edit: There's also a ton of other things they could have done, I just picked one thing that immediately stood out to me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm going to say that the idea of the climax of Mass Effect being "Kill the big bad Reaper to win" is like, self-evidently bad. It's not just a case of it not being creative enough, though it sure as poo poo isn't creative.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Moola posted:

if ME:A is cool and good then I will be happy

I concur.

Based on what little has been shown so far, the Ryders sound kinda gormless, mind. I already miss the Hale-Meer Dream Team Combo and it's not even out yet. Plus the Asari literally looks like the derpiest humanoid in the galaxy to date, I'm already planning to get her killed/strand her on a rock somewhere.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Alain Post posted:

I'm going to say that the idea of the climax of Mass Effect being "Kill the big bad Reaper to win" is like, self-evidently bad. It's not just a case of it not being creative enough, though it sure as poo poo isn't creative.
it's true, the entire narrative was setting the reapers up as an unstoppable force, it woulda been pretty dumb if shep found a death ray on mars and shot them in the belly or something. it wasn't that a conversation with a god to close the series was a bad idea in concept, it's more that the ending boiled down to "press A for green hat, B for red hat, X for blue hat"

and the dream sequences made starkid real unlikable so when he shows up at the end it's not so good. also shep walks really really slow to get to there which i remember being very annoyed at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alain Post posted:

This is definitely anticlimactic but anticlimaxes aren't necessarily bad. Better writers than the Mass Effect writers can make great uses of anticlimaxes as a device (see: The Sopranos, where this happened frequently)
One is a gritty mob drama and character study, one is a space opera where you can complete a suicide mission without losing anyone.

It's not about how good you are as a writer, it's about genre conventions and audience expectations.