Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

do you have to have played all the old FF games to enjoy WoFF? i have limited experience with the older games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

a Loving Dog posted:

Pre-ordered this loving game for Xbox because it apparently has a really decent HDR mode and I want to see what HDR looks like on my TV, it was $11 off on amazon prime with release day shipping, and I am a loving sucker for Final Fantasy games even in my advanced age of the early 30s.

Is this one of those games that is another lovely "coming of age" story centered around a bunch of teenagers so cringe worthy that I'll need to shroud the TV with a blanket while playing to prevent the girlfriend and other people over at the house saying poo poo like: "Dude wtf? You a pedo gay Japanese fag fuckboi? Why are you playing this poo poo?". Or is the story somewhat salvageable consisting of a slightly more mature cast this time around?

Apparently the characters are at least old enough to drive a loving car this time around so I really hope there are some slightly less childish drama elements in it that will prevent me from getting placed on a sexual predator watch list. Also, apparently the latter part of the game takes places 10-15 years after the first part too. Is that true?

SE should really consider targeting an older audience for their next Final Fantasy games having an older cast dealing with real problems instead of "How to cope with your first Jack Kerouac adventure across the country".

Games is such a bad forum

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Depends on what you mean by "older." I have only played 6 through 13 and I recognized a lot of the references. They sorta take bits from all the games and mix them around though. The more you've played the better I guess, but if you've only done like 7 and forward you should still be able to find it fun.

However, putting in a poster about triple triad and not actually putting in the game is a criminal offense.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Randallteal posted:

That's the slowest part, but you get to watch two flying schools gently caress soon, and then Squall and Rinoa make eyes at each other in space (ymmv.) Past that, eh.

drat reading this thread is making me want to replay ff8 and ff9 (I haven't played any of the newer ones)

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I haven't played the full game or the demo, but after talking with ppl who have I think it suffers from Ni no Kuni syndrome -- where the demo was dogass awful but the actual game is a million times better. (Kuni top 5 games of last gen easily)

i loving love ni no but i really need to finish it :-/

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

i watched kingsglaive again and from reading some reviews it seems like the story of the game will be much much better if you watch the movie

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

tumor looking batty posted:

drat reading this thread is making me want to replay ff8 and ff9 (I haven't played any of the newer ones)

You should play X and X-2

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

hoooo boy this game looks good

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I will buy FF15

not today but I will buy it

I managed to stay spoiler free on dark souls 3 for months, can i repeat it with FF15

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I haven't played the full game or the demo, but after talking with ppl who have I think it suffers from Ni no Kuni syndrome -- where the demo was dogass awful but the actual game is a million times better. (Kuni top 5 games of last gen easily)

i did like ni no kuni a lot but i never played its demo. it must be a level 5 thing cos yo kai watch had a pretty bad demo too. i think ill get woff at 50% off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wow. Today's the day. FFXV is out

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I bought lunch meat at a truck stop and Ignis invented mystery meat sushi.

Game owns.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Wow. Today's the day. FFXV is out

Congratulations everyone!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
hopefully i join all the gamers here on christmas

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Just got home to see the game waiting for me. Downloading the day 1 patch while I take a poo poo and make some coffee.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

absolutely anything posted:

hopefully i join all the gamers here on christmas

Same. My friend told me that the game is amazing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The default combat controls (R1+R3 tolock on, circle to attack, square to dodge, x to jump) are giving me fits and I'm not entirely sure why

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just got this, installing update now.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've played about 2 hours of it (first few intro missions + couple hunts) and I will say that this game seems fully sick GOTY material thus far.

They seemed to have really listened to the complaints about XIII and throw you into the open world immediately, it's awesome. I'm getting some serious Xenoblade/Red Dead exploration feels as well, oddly enough.

The Wait mode is the same as the default action but it pauses the game (with a meter that runs out) if you stand still for like a second, allowing you to Libra and properly set up combos on tougher enemies. There's also a Wait Mode ability tree that boosts dmg done and chance to break enemies body parts on atk and stuff.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Oh yeah, you get XP and AP for fighting/doing stuff in the world obviously, but there's a twist. You gain AP immediately and bank XP. To actually apply the XP you have to rest at a camp site or some other rest area, making it essentially a Bonfiresque Darksoulsian take on the XP system

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You also get to look at the delicious food they cook while you level up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

and watch photo boy be a total clownshoes while main character laughs at his misery, apparently

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
gassing up the car

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i watched my epal nenelightangel put some 16 bit style ff15 boys on the side of his car, and get the car tuned up by girl cid :swoon: amazing, i must get this game soon gamgers

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
dont make me buy more games idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

What determines your finesse grade at the end of encounters. I usually get D or C while i get A+ in the other two categories, and I like high scores.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Kongming posted:

What determines your finesse grade at the end of encounters. I usually get D or C while i get A+ in the other two categories, and I like high scores.

i got an A in it once but i honestly don't know how

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.facebook.com/arbys/photos/a.403194711811.180375.51500251811/10154848756761812/?type=3

folder
Oct 9, 2016

In Training posted:

You also get to look at the delicious food they cook while you level up.

i like how ignis looks so lost in thought while you choose the food, then suddenly snaps his fingers and goes "ah, of course" once you settle on the croque-madame

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Kongming posted:

Dodging, mostly, from what I can tell. Maybe just not getting hit in general.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

and watch photo boy be a total clownshoes while main character laughs at his misery, apparently

Noctis made a joke about wanting to die, goty

This game is much better than I expected and I'm happy. My friend that liked FF13 doesn't like it though because "not enough story"

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Noctis made a joke about wanting to die, goty

This game is much better than I expected and I'm happy. My friend that liked FF13 doesn't like it though because "not enough story"

it sounds kinda lame but tell him to watch kingsglaive and brotherhood

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Listening to the FFVIII OST in my Gold Chocobo Regalia.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I got xv waiting for me when i get back home but that won't be until the 4th. Godspeed, gamers

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

XV is really good and starts with all the mechanics right out the gate almost.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

TFW you never fast travel anywhere so you can listen to old FF soundtracks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Listening to the FFVIII OST in my Gold Chocobo Regalia.

Oh man. Do they have Balamb Garden theme? That's my favorite FF music ever

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

TFW you never fast travel anywhere so you can listen to old FF soundtracks

Do you do the driving yourself or get chauffeured? Even getting how its kind of rail based it still feels a bit odd to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

Oh man. Do they have Balamb Garden theme? That's my favorite FF music ever

of course

e: i usually let ignis drive and take in the scenery unless it's nighttime and he's being a bitch about it