Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

spog posted:

I recall from 'Mayday Air Disaster Death Crash Investigation' that S.Korea had a serious problem and multiple crashes because of this cultural deferment to the senior staff, even when they were doing something mind-blowingly stupid.

The FAA banned them from operating in the US unless they sorted their act out: which they did by hiring a bunch of foreign consultants to retrain the flight crew to work as a team.

EDIT:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Cargo_Flight_8509

Fuckwit captain literally flew the plane into the ground while his junior crew let him, because he was much more senior.

I like the title of that episode (the 8509 one): "Bad Attitude". Pretty good punning there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

I would be so mad if I died because of some stupid poo poo like this.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

shame on an IGA posted:

Deference to incompetence kills no matter where it happens.

http://sbfpd.org/uploads/3/0/9/6/3096011/darker_shades_of_blue.pdf

quote:

At one point, Lt Col Holland reportedly called the radar navigator "a pussy" when he would not violate regulations and open the bomb doors for a photograph with live weapons on board.

this is a lot more entertaining than I expected

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
http://www.click2houston.com/news/boy-climbs-down-side-of-carnival-cruise-ship-out-of-galveston

This could have ended vary badly. Rumor is that the dad was the one filming.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

This was a good read, thanks for sharing.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

PhotoKirk posted:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/boy-climbs-down-side-of-carnival-cruise-ship-out-of-galveston

This could have ended vary badly. Rumor is that the dad was the one filming.

It blows my mind that they have no idea who this is, because they apparently have cameras *everywhere* on cruise ships. At least that's what I was told by a buddy that used to work on them.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

H2SO4 posted:

It blows my mind that they have no idea who this is, because they apparently have cameras *everywhere* on cruise ships. At least that's what I was told by a buddy that used to work on them.

Theres like 1500 guests on a cruise ship and they dont exactly have facial recognition software or anything. The kid didnt fall off so they probably dont care all that much too.

poo poo i just remembered that they take your picture for your ID card on the cruise so they do have everyones face on file.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Yeah I don't mean they necessarily could have Minory Reported the kid but more like they'd have footage to review and see which cage he escaped from.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Why the gently caress are these people driving so fast they can't see a toll station in fog?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Why the gently caress is this guy walking around a toll station

e: I mean yeah the people speeding through there are also dumb

suuma fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 29, 2016

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

suuma posted:

Why the gently caress is this guy walking around a toll station

The toll booths aren't big enough to house everyone that will ever work in them, bozo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lunch breaks, piss breaks, stretching your legs.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

looks like he was (futilely) fixing the barricade

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Oooh ooh is this the part where we recommend how to fix it? What if they had subterranean tunnels going along for access to every booth without needing to step onto the road.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

zedprime posted:

Oooh ooh is this the part where we recommend how to fix it? What if they had subterranean tunnels going along for access to every booth without needing to step onto the road.

No, its the part where we replace the humans with license plate readers or toll passes and bill everyone automatically thereby freeing the humans from the risk of barricade smackdown.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

My favorite story like this is the general who bullied a bunch of Area 51 employees into letting him fly the USs only MiG 23, ignored their advice about how it was super squirrelly at high speeds and crashed it into the Nevada desert at Mach 2.5. His death then had to be covered up because of the secrecy of the program.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A Victorian farmer trapped in a hay baler for more than 24 hours is fighting for life in hospital.

The man, aged in his 60s, became trapped in the machinery at his Mount Duneed farm in Geelong sometime on Monday, Ambulance Victoria says.

It is understood he was found by neighbours on Tuesday evening with emergency services called at 6.45pm. It then took CFA and SES crews more than 2.5 hours to free the farmer.

“It obviously took some time because he was half in and half out of the hay baler,” a CFA spokeswoman said. “It was quite a delicate procedure to get him out.”

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
100% chance that dude was looking for a place to jack it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I didn't even know the victorians had farm machinery.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

That's not even the first time travel accident this week.

(Shamelessly stolen from the Strange Headlines thread.)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Temporal vortexes are certainly a new wrinkle for climate change.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

My favorite story like this is the general who bullied a bunch of Area 51 employees into letting him fly the USs only MiG 23, ignored their advice about how it was super squirrelly at high speeds and crashed it into the Nevada desert at Mach 2.5. His death then had to be covered up because of the secrecy of the program.

please please please cite a source on this - I want to be able to share it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

KoRMaK posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_M._Bond

e:lmao he died in Jackass Flats

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 30, 2016

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

That's not even the first time travel accident this week.

(Shamelessly stolen from the Strange Headlines thread.)

the land of Oz is actually the post-apocalyptic future, and Emerald City is built not of emeralds, but of trinitite.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Bip Roberts posted:

quote:

At such speeds, with the wings fully swept back to 72°, the MiG had very limited pitch authority and was inclined to yaw and roll. Bond lost control,[nb 3] made a distress call ("I gotta get out of here") and was then killed in the ejection, when the slipstream broke his neck and shredded the canopy of his parachute. The aircraft crashed in the desert, diving in at a 60° angle[14] and impacting on what is now known as Jackass Flats

How apt.

[edit] gently caress

Jesus Christ fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 30, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Now known" as the Jackass Flats.

lol did they name it after him?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Heres a slightly longer article.

http://jalopnik.com/5807385/how-a-generals-fatal-joyride-in-a-secret-enemy-jet-almost-revealed-area-51

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The general and the airplane crashed into Area 25 at Jackass Flats, where the land was still highly contaminated from the secret NERVA [nuclear rocket] tests that had gone on there.

Hahah holy gently caress

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

quote:

When a mock attack at the guard gate at Area 51 occurred, in 1982, test flights of the F‑117 - which only ever happened at night - were already in full swing. For some weeks, a debate raged as to how an act of idiocy by a small group of Wackenhut Security guards nearly outed a billion-dollar aircraft as well as two top secret military test facilities that had remained secret for thirty years.

man who would have guessed the rent a cops from WACKENHUT SECURITY were morons

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mmm lookit them glowing brakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6UswiRCF0

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mmmmm that stuff is so good thanks all for posting

Jesus Christ posted:

At such speeds, with the wings fully swept back to 72°, the MiG had very limited pitch authority and was inclined to yaw and roll. Bond lost control,[nb 3] made a distress call ("I gotta get out of here") and was then killed in the ejection, when the slipstream broke his neck and shredded the canopy of his parachute. The aircraft crashed in the desert, diving in at a 60° angle[14] and impacting on what is now known as Jackass Flats
wow, that reminds me of this - history is weird and keeps geting weirder post nuclear weapons
http://smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=3994

Synthbuttrange posted:

The general and the airplane crashed into Area 25 at Jackass Flats, where the land was still highly contaminated from the secret NERVA [nuclear rocket] tests that had gone on there.

Hahah holy gently caress
it's like a really funny and dark wlye e cyote bit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hahah holy gently caress

quote:

All sorts of efforts were being made, during the late 50's, to increase propellant densities, and I was responsible (not purposely, but from being taken seriously when I didn't expect to be) for one of the strangest. Phil Pomerantz, of BuWeps, wanted me to try dimethyl mercury, Hg(CH3)2, as a fuel. I suggested that it might be somewhat toxic and a bit dangerous to synthesize and handle, but he assured me that it was (a) very easy to put together, and (b) as harmless as mother's milk. I was dubious, but told him that I'd see what I could do.

I looked the stuff up, and discovered that, indeed, the synthesis was easy, but that it was extremely toxic, and a long way from harmless. As I had suffered from mercury poisoning on two previous occasions and didn't care to take a chance on doing it again, I thought that it would be an excellent idea to have somebody else make the compound for me. So I phoned Rochester, and asked my contact man at Eastman Kodak if they would make a hundred pounds of dimethyl mercury and ship it to NARTS.

I heard a horrified gasp, and then a tightly controlled voice (I could hear the grinding of teeth beneath the words) informed me that if they were silly enough to synthesize that much dimethyl mercury, they would, in the process fog every square inch of photographic film in Rochester, and that, thank you just the same, Eastman was not interested. The receiver came down with a crash, and I sat back to consider the matter. An agonizing reappraisal seemed to be indicated.

Phil wanted density. Well, dimethyl mercury was dense, all right— d = 3.07 —but it would be burned with RFNA, and at a reasonable mixture ratio the total propellant density would be about 2.1 or 2.2. (The density of the acid-UDMH system is about 1.2.) That didn't seem too impressive, and I decided to apply the reducto ad absurdum method. Why not use the densest known substance which is liquid at room temperature — mercury itself? Just squirt it into the chamber of a motor burning, say, acid-UDMH. It would evaporate into a mon- atomic gas (with a low Cp, which would help performance), and would go out the nozzle with the combustion products. That technique should give Phil all the density he wanted! Charmed by the delightful nuttiness of the idea, I reached for the calculator.
[…]
The result was spectacular. With 𝜑 = 0.1, and 27.5 percent of the tank volume filled with mercury instead of propellant, the bulk density was 4.9 and the boost velocity was about 31 percent above that of the neat propellant; at 𝜑 = 0.2 there was a 20 percent increase with 21 volume percent of mercury. At 𝜑 = 1.0, on the other hand, the best you could get was a 2 percent increase in boost velocity with 5 volume percent of mercury. Obviously, a missile with a low 𝜑, such as an air-to-air job, was where this system belonged—if anywhere.

I solemnly and formally wrote the whole thing up, complete with graphs, labeled it —dead pan —the "Ultra High Density Propellant Concept," and sent it off to the Bureau. I expected to see it bounce back in a week, with a "Who do you think you're kidding?" letter attached. It didn't.

Phil bought it.

He directed us, forthwith, to verify the calculations experimentally, and NARTS, horrified, was stuck with the job of firing a mercury- spewing motor in the middle of Morris County, New Jersey.

Firing the motor wouldn't be any problem; the problem lay in the fact that all of the mercury vapor in the atmosphere would not be good for the health of the (presumably) innocent inhabitants of the county —nor for our own. So a scrubber had to be built, a long pipe- like affair down which the motor would be fired, and fitted with water sprays, filters, and assorted devices to condense and collect the mer- cury in the exhaust before it could get out into the atmosphere. We had it built and were about ready to go, when the Navy decided to shut down —"disestablish" —NARTS, and ordered us to ship the whole mercury setup to NOTS. With a sigh of relief, we complied, and handed them the wet baby. Saved by the bell!

At NOTS, Dean Couch and D. G. Nyberg took over the job, and by March 1960 had completed their experiments. They used a 250- pound thrust RFNA-UDMH motor, and injected mercury through a tap in the chamber wall. And the thing did work. They used up to 31 volume percent of mercury in their runs, and found that at 20 percent they got a 40 percent increase in density impulse. (I had calculated 43.) As they were firing in the middle of the desert, they didn't bother with the scrubber. And they didn't poison a single rattlesnake. Technically, the system was a complete success. Practically—that was something else again.

(NOTS is in California, though.)

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

"Editor's note: The site of the MiG-23 crash was memorialized with a small black granite marker, flush with the surrounding desert and deep within U.S. government property. Its inscription reads: "BOBBY BOND APRIL 26, 1984. HE WAS A MAN OF GREAT STRENGTH A WARM AND FAITHFUL FRIEND, WHO GAVE HIS LIFE FOR THE COUNTRY HE LOVED""

Yes, "Gave his life for his country" by being a hilariously entitled jackass.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTKA_bAQyU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

For those not familiar with dimethylmercury here's some classic OSHA thread reading material: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao he died in Jackass Flats

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Mak0rz posted:

For those not familiar with dimethylmercury here's some classic OSHA thread reading material: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn

:nms: that poo poo

Public Exposure is kind of relevant to this hare-brained idea also (more) :nms::

Minamata Disease

quote:

Pollution was so heavy at the mouth of the wastewater canal, a figure of 2 kg of mercury per ton of sediment was measured: a level that would be economically viable to mine. Indeed, Chisso did later set up a subsidiary to reclaim and sell the mercury recovered from the sludge.

Iraq Grain Disaster

quote:

The Iraqi Army soon ordered disposal of the grain and eventually declared the death penalty for anyone found selling it. Farmers dumped their supplies wherever possible, and it soon got into the water supply (particularly the River Tigris), causing further problems. The government issued a news blackout and released little information about the outbreak.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mak0rz posted:

I've read this article a few times, but it's always surprising to me just how bad things got for her. gently caress Mercury.

quote:

Wetterhahn would recall that she had spilled one or two drops of dimethylmercury from the tip of a pipette onto her latex gloved hand.
One of her former students said that "Her husband saw tears rolling down her face. I asked if she was in pain. The doctors said it didn't appear that her brain could even register pain."

One or two drops fucks you up that badly, so god only knows what this poor son of a bitch went through:

quote:

In 1972, a 28-year-old chemist in Czechoslovakia had suffered the same symptoms as Wetterhahn after synthesizing 6 kg of the compound.
:stonk:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sticking methyl groups onto metals like that really makes them nasty. Good practice to just run away if you see #methyl metal. Or #methyl ammonium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Well if I had money,
I'd tell you what I'd do,
I go downtown buy a ton of Mercury or two.
Crazy bout some Mercury,
Lord I'm crazy bout some Mercury,
I'm gonna buy me some Mercury & spray it all around the world.