Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I love gimmicks, but VGC2016 was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

oddium posted:

aaron "CYBERTRON" zheng just started his series of vgc 2017 and also put up an intro to 2017 teambuilding/rules. right now he's instructing drought torkoal to erupt in trick room

is cybertron not liked within the community? he seems fine and i've learned a lot watching road to ranked

on that note--are there any good podcasts anyone would recommend about battling/pokemon/etc?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

he was liked enough by nintendo to commentate worlds

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
NEBBY GOT IN THE BEAST BALL FINALLY

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

pew

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
117 soft resets lol

e: whoops I meant 117

edit again: Oh thank god, she's Modest

Note Block fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 30, 2016

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The ragequit in the second video is great. I love it when you pull something unexpected and your opponent sits there for a minute then just disconnects. Happens quite often when you Taunt a Mimikyu or Minior.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Gonna ask again in here. Any of you destiny knot give aways have any left?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you don't like stealth rock, it's basically nonexistent in battle spot

If you don't like Smogon's bans, they're legal in battle spot

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Note Block posted:

NEBBY GOT IN THE BEAST BALL FINALLY

But he never got in the loving bag

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Catching togedemaru, with lightningrod, in a beast ball, was a lot more annoying than I thought it'd be, but I did it

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

But he never got in the loving bag

It's ok, Rowlet got in the backpack and Rowlet is a good boy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

gently caress ditto. Spent like 2 hours chaining him with me either accidentally killing him or him finding out how to suicide using my pokemons move. Finally got to 40 on the chain and its an imposter ditto who immediately takes Incineroar, breaks out of 3 dusk balls on red health then suicides with flame blitz.

Thats probably it for my breeding atttempts.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

cheetah7071 posted:

It's like the goddamn Twilight Zone.

"What? Smogon and Stealth Rocks? Haha, we don't concern ourselves about that here."
"Oh, thank goodness, it must be like a battle paradise! Say, all these teams look familiar...Garchomp, Tapu Bulu, and Mega Metagross...Oh god...Oh god it's not battling Heaven at all!"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

tfw your electric STAB does 60% to gyarados

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Phrosphor posted:

The ragequit in the second video is great. I love it when you pull something unexpected and your opponent sits there for a minute then just disconnects. Happens quite often when you Taunt a Mimikyu or Minior.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-485499736

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Gonna ask again in here. Any of you destiny knot give aways have any left?

I have like three Rowlets w/ knots left, check my post history.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

kojei posted:

I'm adding you now. Can I grab one of them too please?

FC: 2723-9256-0832

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

nopantsjack posted:

gently caress ditto. Spent like 2 hours chaining him with me either accidentally killing him or him finding out how to suicide using my pokemons move. Finally got to 40 on the chain and its an imposter ditto who immediately takes Incineroar, breaks out of 3 dusk balls on red health then suicides with flame blitz.

Thats probably it for my breeding atttempts.
Maybe a bit excessive, but I stumbled on this guide which takes quite a bit of setup but is essentially foolproof once it gets going.

Edit: no breeding required either, just a handful of Heart Scales to give Garbodor and Klefki Recycle (you can potentially skimp on Garbodor if you don't mind using multiple Leppa Berries instead) and Hypno Switcheroo. Only flaw I saw was that the Klefki can only stay level 1 for a single chain, so you have to go re-delete the moves it learns and deal with it having that much more defense.

notoriousman fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 30, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Countblanc posted:

Togedemaru is a nuzzler not a fighter.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

cheetah7071 posted:

We do not talk about 3v3 singles

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm adding you now. Can I grab one of them too please?

FC: 2723-9256-0832

Sure.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

kojei posted:

I don't have PMs so here's my FC:

0989 2944 5596

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Countblanc posted:

It's still 60% more damage than you'd deal using Thunder Wave, so eh.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

You're a hero! I'm online now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You're a hero! I'm online now.

Same, I'm Jamie Lee in game.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

notoriousman posted:

Maybe a bit excessive, but I stumbled on this guide which takes quite a bit of setup but is essentially foolproof once it gets going.

Thats basically what I was using. But I ran out of PP so switched to Incineroar to continue to kill the incoming dittos and the last one had imposter so immediately transformed into him.

e: right I see the substitute cancels out the imposter, I didnt have that

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Classtoise posted:

It's like the goddamn Twilight Zone.

"What? Smogon and Stealth Rocks? Haha, we don't concern ourselves about that here."
"Oh, thank goodness, it must be like a battle paradise! Say, all these teams look familiar...Garchomp, Tapu Bulu, and Mega Metagross...Oh god...Oh god it's not battling Heaven at all!"
See, this is why the best option is to get a lot of friends to play pokemon, then fight against each other with incredibly silly (or just mish-mash) teams of mons.
Because if your friend decides to use something like Aegislash, you can smack 'em upside the head for being a poo poo.
e: This also means if you build a team of six pokemon, you can use all 6 pokemon. None of those stupid rulesets that limit you to 3 or 4.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 30, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Aegislash is fun to use.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Aegislash is a cool and good pokemon and I will not tolerate it being disrespected in such fashion.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Thanks so much Kojei!

How do I participate in group FC missions? I'm online but searching to join does nothing.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

boy are my arms tired posted:

Catching togedemaru, with lightningrod, in a beast ball, was a lot more annoying than I thought it'd be, but I did it

Why the Air Balloon?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Thanks so much Kojei!

How do I participate in group FC missions? I'm online but searching to join does nothing.

Hang out in the plaza until you get a red banner on the bottom screen, then tap it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Bongo Bill posted:

Aegislash is fun to use.

Internet Kraken posted:

Aegislash is a cool and good pokemon and I will not tolerate it being disrespected in such fashion.
It looks cool, but people who use it are so insufferably :smug:
This post from 2 pages back explains exactly why I hate fighting it.

The Lord of Hats posted:

That one you need to look at the stats for. In defense form, Aegislash has *150* Def and SpD. In attack form, it has 150 Atk and SpA. To switch from defense to attack, you attack. To switch from attack to defense, you use King's Shield, which is Protect, but also nerfs your attack two stages if you hit it with a contact move. An example set (not the greatest, but I *think* it's similar to what it ran back in OU) is King's Shield, Gyro Ball (minimum speed), Swords Dance, and Shadow Sneak. Thanks to how priority works, you are now faced with what is, essentially, a pokemon with 150 in ALL of those stats.

If you outspeed it, and they Gyro ball you, your hit will happen while they're still in defense mode, so they won't take much damage, THEN they switch into ultra offense mode and hit you for a crapload. If you try to follow up with another attack, either they can Shadow Sneak to finish you off, or Kings Shield to blank your attack and switch back to defense so they can hit you super hard again.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

weakness policy aegislash rules

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Lol

Also please be fair, togedemaru was under two intimidates and zap zing is physical

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Goddamnit game. Why this egg

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Waffles Inc. posted:

Why the Air Balloon?

4x weakness to ground is a hell of a thing

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It was pretty recent but I think one of the more ridiculous bans Smogon made was the Mega-Sabeleye ban right before Sun/Moon came out. From what I can tell, they determined it was fine if a bit annoying in OU, but people whined so much that it was suspected again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I've never done legit PvP before but I'm interested in VGC. The Doubles format seems easy to get into.

I've a vague idea of running Ninetales-A with Snow Warning and Aurora Veil with an Overcoat Automotize Kommo-O. I feel like I should run a Tapu just to have the ability to reverse weather against opposing Tapus but idk. Any advice on complements to Ninetales and Kommo are welcome.