Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

pech posted:

Is welding useless on every difficulty? It seems like holding out a position is a lot less viable than in kf1? Every game I've joined has just had people standing in the same spot

Welding is fantastic but you need a Support to repair doors so you can do it constantly and a Demo to top it off with exploding doors. Having the pair really slows down a horde and takes a decent chunk out of the monsters when it explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

pech posted:

Is welding useless on every difficulty? It seems like holding out a position is a lot less viable than in kf1?

Holding positions works with varying degrees of success on different maps. The initial goal that TWI had with KF2 was to encourage people to run around the map for the whole round instead of staying in one place. That idea didn't work very well because most people can't even stay with a group on the move, and shooting while moving with your friends is way too tough apparently. As a result, quite a few of the maps are designed without intentional good spots to hold out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Every map has basically 1-2 holdout spots, and 95% of the map terrain is not played on unless you are the medic and have to kite to save the round.

pech
Jul 19, 2004

The game has frozen for me whenever I join a game after waking my PS4 up from rest mode. I have to restart the system to be able to join a game. Poo

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pech posted:

The game has frozen for me whenever I join a game after waking my PS4 up from rest mode. I have to restart the system to be able to join a game. Poo

That's weird, never had that issue, are you closing the game before putting the PS4 on rest mode?

pech
Jul 19, 2004

Alteisen posted:

That's weird, never had that issue, are you closing the game before putting the PS4 on rest mode?

Yeah I don't usually have any games open in rest mode unless it's witcher or fallout or something

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the game rkid, goddamn Patty gave me no chance, blew my rear end away at point blank range.

ecdub22
Jul 9, 2008

I'm going to crush all opposition in this thread.

:siren: -=+ 54i +=- :siren:
Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

Thanks for the game rkid, goddamn Patty gave me no chance, blew my rear end away at point blank range.

Yeah, good game. The drat AOE Rocket attack hosed up 2 of us right after you got blown away basically ending that one. I'll try to see if we can get more of the PS4 contingent on at some point so we don't have to rely on the pubbies.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ecdub22 posted:

Yeah, good game. The drat AOE Rocket attack hosed up 2 of us right after you got blown away basically ending that one. I'll try to see if we can get more of the PS4 contingent on at some point so we don't have to rely on the pubbies.

We're gonna need em if we wanna sui or HoE, can't do that poo poo with pubbies, especially fuckhead pubbies who pick up your weapon and sell it.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I'll try to pop on tonight

BostonZombie

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I know this is from last page but I think they definitely sped up the grind. I hadn't played this game in a year or so and I've leveled as much in 3-4 hours of gameplay then I did in the 22 I'd sunk in it when I first got it.

When I first booted it up again and tried out the sharpshooter I got two levels in the first match.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The new alt aiming for dual pistols own. Gunslinger it's easier to play as you can just aim with your right pistol's ironsights. If you are shooting really close up just press alt-fire and you'll get the old aiming.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

You could always swap between those modes. I guess that means they default to the only one worth using

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Weird, there's no difference in Patty's damage numbers from normal to hard.

Edit: Good games Macy and Rkid.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 26, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

You could always swap between those modes. I guess that means they default to the only one worth using

I didn't know that, I only played a few hours during EA and came back in launch.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Trying out the parry perk, holy poo poo this thing is nuts, you're at 55% damage resistance and do like a 100% more damage with hard hits provided you can proc is a lot, you need to get into the habit of parrying a lot but when you do, goddamn, you're a buzzsaw.

Need to be super careful with bosses and sirens though, they will gently caress you up if its not active.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alteisen posted:

Trying out the parry perk, holy poo poo this thing is nuts, you're at 55% damage resistance and do like a 100% more damage with hard hits provided you can proc is a lot, you need to get into the habit of parrying a lot but when you do, goddamn, you're a buzzsaw.

Need to be super careful with bosses and sirens though, they will gently caress you up if its not active.

I'm probably going to avoid that one as I'm absolutely garbage at parrying in this game

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Sirens are so much more deadly now, I don't actually mind that.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Skoll posted:

Sirens are so much more deadly now, I don't actually mind that.

Where they've gone from something that just my screen wobbly to an actual threat I'll prioritize before they get close

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

drrockso20 posted:

I'm probably going to avoid that one as I'm absolutely garbage at parrying in this game

Practice it and learn, you're not a good zerker if you can't parry and trading blows with zeds is a no-no on the higher difficulties, they will tear you apart.

When you learn to parry you're basically unkillable unless you gently caress up really badly.

Spoz
May 25, 2006

Just came back to this game after a few months and I've been trying out the new classes. What's the deal with survivalist? Do the generic perks make up for not having the specific dedicated perks?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spoz posted:

Just came back to this game after a few months and I've been trying out the new classes. What's the deal with survivalist? Do the generic perks make up for not having the specific dedicated perks?

Survivalist basically trades specializing in one thing for being decent at everything.

Except the grenade changes, that perk is loving stupid.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Practice it and learn, you're not a good zerker if you can't parry and trading blows with zeds is a no-no on the higher difficulties, they will tear you apart.

When you learn to parry you're basically unkillable unless you gently caress up really badly.

I think what would help me with Berserker would be two things;

Being able to change which stick affects your attack angle(it currently being tied to movement instead of camera is dumb)

Being able to change the controls around for just that specific perk(I'm thinking swapping the block and heavy attack buttons would make it a lot easier to consistently parry)

Plus as I've mentioned in the past I doubt I'll ever play much of any difficulty above Hard, as I'll probably not find it much fun(much like how in KF1 I found anything above Beginner a completely unfun slog to play), as what a lot of people consider challenging I just consider obnoxious

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skoll posted:

Survivalist basically trades specializing in one thing for being decent at everything.

Except the grenade changes, that perk is loving stupid.

Agreed, at the very least Molotov Cocktails should be swapped out for Dynamite as that would actually be useful(unless they plan on seriously buffing the Molotov in the near future)

Also I feel Survivalist needs a little bit more of a boost, maybe a slight discount to one or more of the following:

Armor cost

Ammo cost

Weapon cost

Item weights

Or maybe give them the ability to give armor to teammates, or possibly have them start with two random T1 weapons instead of just one(but in exchange those two weapons can only be sold for half of their regular resale value)

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'd hope for a molotov buff personally, since molotovs are useless to the firebug as well.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

drrockso20 posted:

I think what would help me with Berserker would be two things;

Being able to change which stick affects your attack angle(it currently being tied to movement instead of camera is dumb)

Being able to change the controls around for just that specific perk(I'm thinking swapping the block and heavy attack buttons would make it a lot easier to consistently parry)

Plus as I've mentioned in the past I doubt I'll ever play much of any difficulty above Hard, as I'll probably not find it much fun(much like how in KF1 I found anything above Beginner a completely unfun slog to play), as what a lot of people consider challenging I just consider obnoxious

Yea sorry my post came off as a bit arrogant, here I'll write a small primer.

Parrying and you.

Parrying is not this hugely insurmountable thing, the parrying window varies from enemy to enemy but it is extremely generous, basically as soon as you press the button to parry you ARE parrying even if your weapon isn't all the way up, the parry window is open already, another thing to keep in mind is weapon weight, one of the updates made it so the amount of damage that bleeds through depends on the weapon used, basically to prevent medics and other classes from negating all damage from fleshpounds or scrakes with a dinky scalpel, even though if you're the last man standing, parrying WILL save your rear end and do far less damage than the actual hit would.

Believe it or not its actually easier to parry on the higher difficulties due how much more aggressive enemies, many of the zeds also gain extra attacks, for example crawlers due like a cartwheel and stalkers also cartwheel on sui and above, these attacks hit multiple times and you can parry them at any point, the only weapon who's parry window is a bit odd is the katana.

For zeds, here's the timing where you can parry.

Clot variants: Slashers, clot and cyst from easiest to hardest, slashers are crazy aggressive, clots are so-so and cysts just kind of flail at you.

Gorefast: Whenever he's running at you and spinning his blade or when he jumps at you, if he's right in your face he'll sort of move his blade thing around that's another good chance to parry.

Crawlers: On normal and hard they tend to jump at you to attack, as soon as you see them leave the ground you can get the parry, on Sui at anytime during the cartwheel.

Stalkers: Soon as they get close, on normal and hard they tend to kick, on sui and above they cartwheel.

Husks: You have to get up in their face for them to start meeling you, quite frankly I would not recommend it especially on the higher difficulties, just wack em or murder them with a saw blade and move on.

Bloats: Not worth it either, just pop their heads and move on.

Scrakes: When a scrake is unraged and focused on you they tend to rear back with their chainsaw hand and hit you, start to parry when you see them rear all the way back, when its angry its different timings, I generally wait for them to spin then step in for a parry, be warned though they don't get stunned for long if they're pissed, also funny thing, sometimes the scrake will do a motion with their non chainsaw hand, you can parry that motion as well.

Fleshpound: You WANT to piss it off believe it or not, its easiest to parry fleshpound when they're angry cause their angry attacks have much easier parry windows, he'll either do an overhead smash, smack you with his right fist or do a jumping attack, basically as soon as he's on stop of you start to parry, fair warning though if you see him jump, keep your guard up after the parry cause that attacks hit 3 times.

The bosses

Hans is probably the easiest boss to parry when he's rushing you cause he always does a jumping attack, when you're in his face its a little trickier especially if he has his guns out cause you don't know what he's going to do, he's also hard to approach if there's multiple people around cause he won't be focused on you and its sometimes hard to tell if he is focused on you if you're right in his face, it can be quite dangerous to approach hans without the resistance perk because he will mess you up at close range, generally parrying hans is best if you have a medic for potential mistakes.

Patriarch: Probably the easiest boss to parry, every single one of melee attacks is blatantly obvious and has huge tells, the kick is the only one that's hard to tell, generally patty rears back or shoulder checks you, both of them are the same as fleshpounds, parry the moment he's on top of you, also if he grabs you with his chest dick, wait one second, then parry, don't parry right away or you'll just block.

Edit: You can survive a direct hit of Patty's rocket if you have the parry bonus up. :newlol:

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 28, 2016

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
So I've been parry spamming Scrakes and such by holding down the reload key and blasting the block button which gives me a parry every like half second rather than just using the block button by itself. Is there a downside? I see the big green shield/circle pop up when the scrake connects and stumbles, but I can't tell if that's a real parry or if it's just a block with a particle effect.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tamayachi posted:

So I've been parry spamming Scrakes and such by holding down the reload key and blasting the block button which gives me a parry every like half second rather than just using the block button by itself. Is there a downside? I see the big green shield/circle pop up when the scrake connects and stumbles, but I can't tell if that's a real parry or if it's just a block with a particle effect.

Yea you're getting the parry, circle only shows up when you get it right.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Alteisen posted:

Yea you're getting the parry, circle only shows up when you get it right.

Ok cool, then I guess (as a berserker) holding down reload and blocking really trivializes the parry mechanic, like one or two hits *might* get through but for the most part you'll parry pretty much everything from multiple sources. I wonder if it's a bug.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why is Containment Station an official map, its just narrow corridors, its loving terrible.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Alteisen posted:

Why is Containment Station an official map, its just narrow corridors, its loving terrible.

Because the SDK is difficult to use, crashes and corrupts all the loving time so no one makes good maps.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Because the SDK is difficult to use, crashes and corrupts all the loving time so no one makes good maps.

swift_brutal_death made a space map which was 20x better than containment station. All of his maps are good.

There's actually a lot of really great custom maps, many of which were Grindhouse worthy. Containment station is passable but way, way below the standard.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I really really like KF-Super_Mario_World, even though it's just a giant room with Mario scenery. It's fun.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
look at all these maps which aren't KF_GoldeneyeBunker

or facility

or whatever

the point is, it plays the Goldeneye death sound when you and/or a teammate die

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

look at all these maps which aren't KF_GoldeneyeBunker

or facility

or whatever

the point is, it plays the Goldeneye death sound when you and/or a teammate die

Super_Mario_World does the same, actually.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Should I be concerned that I haven't seen any other 25's other than myself on the PS4 version? :geno:

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 30, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

Should I be concerned that I haven't seen any other 25's other than myself on the PS4 version? :geno:

Obviously cheating.

I just need to 25 SWAT and I'm done. I'll probably spend my days as a Firebug running around annoying the poo poo out of Sharpshooters, just like in KF1.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Skoll posted:

Obviously cheating.

I just need to 25 SWAT and I'm done. I'll probably spend my days as a Firebug running around annoying the poo poo out of Sharpshooters, just like in KF1.

That job has been delegated to Demolitions, now. Screen wipes, camera shake, smoke, and nukes galore, on top of having the same priority targets.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There is definitely overlap between demo and sharpshooter, but SS is better at skrakes and Demo is for Fleshies. That's how my group runs it, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I liked when you could boomstick an HoE scrake in KF1 :(