Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Doug Jones must love being in make-up.

He does, that's what he's done for basically his entire career.

Anthony Rapp, though. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Sisko never had to pilot a runabout called the Mississippi. :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Pleasantly surprised with the Doug Jones casting. Looking forward to all the lame mushroom jokes from Lt. Fungus.

It's pronounced "foon-jooze" thank you very much.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Astromycologist seems really oddly specific for a role on a spaceship, I guess Astrobiologist was too boring for them? ^^

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Marshal Radisic posted:

I thought we mostly rationalized that by imagining the "war" as a low-intensity conflict along a disputed border that just dragged on for years. Colonies get raided, ships snipe at one another, but no actual set piece battles. The Cardies don't have the power projection to make major gains, and the Federation is busy doodling away with exploration, internal consolidation, and other low-intensity conflicts (wasn't Sisko involved in a Space Gulf War with the Tzekenthi at some point?), so nothing really gets resolved until the Cardies start having larger internal problems and start agreeing to major concessions in the 2360s.

The point I was making was that it's silly to respond to "it would have been pretty stupid to have the Federation on the verge of a military coup in season one, then just go back to random exploring for the rest of the series" with "this was also the time period they were supposed to be locked in a brutal war with the Cardassians", because the topic being discussed is not "what is the nature of the Star Trek TNG setting" but rather "how sound was the decision to make Conspiracy about an alien takeover attempt" and it's unfair to judge that decision based on what an entirely different set of writers did years later.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LinkesAuge posted:

Astromycologist seems really oddly specific for a role on a spaceship, I guess Astrobiologist was too boring for them? ^^

That specificity combined with Jones also playing a Science officer makes me wonder if Discovery will have a whole science team onboard for whatever this season's arc is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That specificity combined with Jones also playing a Science officer makes me wonder if Discovery will have a whole science team onboard for whatever this season's arc is.

They're looking for a cure for the Tarsus IV crop blight.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The point I was making was that it's silly to respond to "it would have been pretty stupid to have the Federation on the verge of a military coup in season one, then just go back to random exploring for the rest of the series" with "this was also the time period they were supposed to be locked in a brutal war with the Cardassians", because the topic being discussed is not "what is the nature of the Star Trek TNG setting" but rather "how sound was the decision to make Conspiracy about an alien takeover attempt" and it's unfair to judge that decision based on what an entirely different set of writers did years later.

My point was that they weren't terribly concerned about the logic of the wider setting from episode to episode in TNG or the TNG movies so it wouldn't really be different than what they ended up doing anyway.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Timby posted:

Huh. I think you are onto something. The creators have been teasing that the show would focus on some bit of unexplored cannon history never seen on-screen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Huh. I think you are onto something. The creators have been teasing that the show would focus on some bit of unexplored cannon history never seen on-screen.

I was really only joking, since the timeline doesn't match up (Discovery is ten years before TOS, but the Tarsus IV massacre was 20 years pre-TOS).

Also, that would really be a complete rip-off of Babylon 5: Crusade.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Mister Adequate posted:

The latter plays a mycologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5qoWoKpkzM confirmed.

Looking forward to seeing how they handle the Spathi.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Mental Hospitality posted:

I liked Farscape, it was fun.

It was fun, but god drat, you really cannot go back to that show and feel even remotely as interested. That said, there are still good episodes and all.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Timby posted:

I was really only joking, since the timeline doesn't match up (Discovery is ten years before TOS, but the Tarsus IV massacre was 20 years pre-TOS).

If you count "The Cage" as the start of TOS, it matches up.

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Timby posted:

Holy poo poo. You could be right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They said he was a mycologist who was the chief science officer, it might just be what his doctorate is in but his ship duties are more generic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Stamets is the gay character. Woo.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/29/star-trek-discovery-cast-gay

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Sure, make the mycologist gay, as always. Typical :rolleyes:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

WickedHate posted:

Sure, make the mycologist gay, as always. Typical :rolleyes:
I know, right, just because he's gay doesn't make him a fungi.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

It'd be more realistic if it was Spaceship McSpaceshipface

Or perhaps, First Lieuteneral Space Captainface, captain of the USS The Proud Anselmo.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 30, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Timby posted:

Anthony Rapp, though. :barf:

What's wrong with Anthony Rapp? :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zurui posted:

His whiny, entitled douchebag character in Rent makes me want to kick him in the balls.

Edit: Also, DS9 is getting a DVD re-release early next year.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 30, 2016

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Angry_Ed posted:

Or perhaps, First Lieuteneral Space Captainface, captain of the USS The Proud Anselmo.

But where are all the hot 60s looking girls?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Timby posted:

His whiny, entitled douchebag character in Rent makes me want to kick him in the balls.

Edit: Also, DS9 is getting a DVD re-release early next year.
I hate that we'll never get an HD remaster. I mean, I get why, but it sucks.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I just figure she had a choice of commands and went for the ship with the name that meant something to her.

Well that's pretty racist of her! She should be thinking better about her choices as a 23rd century captain and how they will perpetuate stereotypes across the Federation! :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

Well, it's also the name of China's manned spaceflight program.

Yeah, it's like how there's a Soyuz class.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

I'd settle for a high-quality upscale and image remaster in its place.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Zurui posted:

Childhood friend of "comedian" Andy Dick.

Doug Jones should play Arex.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 30, 2016

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

The chinese captain having a chinese ship is just too much for me. I was looking forward to this, had a tiny bit of hope, but that one thing is just too stupid and all hope and interest has been lost.
Didn't the earlier releases say she was captaining a non-Starfleet civilian ship that just gets caught up in the plot somehow? In that scenario it makes more sense a Chinese character would give her ship a Chinese name. Them now saying she's a Starfleet captain might just one of those cases of the press release people missing the memo.

And also, really dude, that's your threshold?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

Was there more of a reason than the TNG ones didn't sell well at all?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Too much CGI, the source files for which are potentially lost, built with an ancient version of LightWave 3D, and were definitely not meant to be seen in 1080p.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Knormal posted:

Didn't the earlier releases say she was captaining a non-Starfleet civilian ship that just gets caught up in the plot somehow? In that scenario it makes more sense a Chinese character would give her ship a Chinese name. Them now saying she's a Starfleet captain might just one of those cases of the press release people missing the memo.

And also, really dude, that's your threshold?

It's the internet. If you don't make a sweeping declaration about being over something once a week they cut off your access.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kazinsal posted:

Too much CGI, the source files for which are potentially lost, built with an ancient version of LightWave 3D, and were definitely not meant to be seen in 1080p.

Actually, one of the guys that worked on the stuff showed that not only were the files still intact, they were usable and could re-render in 1080p quite easily.

Since it seems like they've disavowed you know who, I guess it's OK to link this.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 30, 2016

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I still question the logic of selling TNG HD streaming rights before trying to move more physical units on bluray. Unless they made a mint selling the streaming rights.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MisterBibs posted:

Was there more of a reason than the TNG ones didn't sell well at all?
That's pretty much it. If the most popular Trek show ever fell so short of their (probably ridiculous) expectations, there's not much hope for DS9.

I'd guess that the TNG sets didn't sell well because TNG has been running nonstop on cable for the last 20+ years, and everyone has seen them all a billion times. Also, lots of people owned the DVD sets but weren't quite fanatical enough to re-buy the series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Why do the Enterprise blu-ray sets then? Just because it was already filmed in HD and made an easy transfer?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

WhiteHowler posted:

That's pretty much it. If the most popular Trek show ever fell so short of their (probably ridiculous) expectations, there's not much hope for DS9.

I'd guess that the TNG sets didn't sell well because TNG has been running nonstop on cable for the last 20+ years, and everyone has seen them all a billion times. Also, lots of people owned the DVD sets but weren't quite fanatical enough to re-buy the series.

...and that you could just stream the HD remasters on Amazon Prime almost as they came out, with Netflix following along not too much later.

I think they might do it in the future when the technology has matured to the point that they can do 90% of it by having an intern feed camera negatives into a computer all day while the computer matches it up with the completed episode, especially if they ever get an executive in that loved DS9 and makes it his pet project (this will never happen).

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why do the Enterprise blu-ray sets then? Just because it was already filmed in HD and made an easy transfer?

Yes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pretty much. They were finished in HD from the very beginning. So, it was a simple matter to encode for a blu-ray release.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WhiteHowler posted:

When the TNG sets were coming out, I kept seeing Facebook posts from friends along the lines of "oh, we're doing a TNG rewatch on Netflix, it's so much fun!" (This was long before Netflix got the HD version)

I'm a broken record on this and I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I think CBS seriously blundered their release strategy. I think they should have revoked or refused to renew streaming rights while the Bluray sets were coming out so that people either had to go buy used DVD sets or buy new Bluray sets.

Also, the pricing needed to be updated again to reflect modern sensibilities. Paramount was able to get away with $100 season boxsets when the DVDs first came out because season boxsets were still relatively novel, and because it was still a screaming good deal compared to what a season set on VHS would have run you. That just wasn't the case any more for a multitude of reasons.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't need some 1080 remastered CG version, just give me something a bit better than what's on netflix right now and I'd probably fork over a few bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The problem is there really isn't anything better right now. All the effects and editing for TNG, DS9, and Voyager were done on standard-resolution videotape. You could theoretically just do a rescan of the live-action film and then upscale the SD portions, but everything's going to go startlingly blurry every time there's a special effect mixed in with the live-action... including every time they shoot a phaser, use the transporter, use a replicator, Odo does his Cardassian neck trick, etc.