Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This thread focuses on the USA a lot but I was just wondering what are going to be the affects of Climate Change on impoverished nations. Specifically places like Ethiopia , Somali, etc..

I don't read to much on it and was wondering if someone had a great article on the matter.

I know there will be vast swathes of land that are no longer inhabitable but where are these populations likely to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
My particular interest lies more in Mexico and countries north of the Darien Gap, since I imagine there'll be a trend to emigrate northwards across Central America (and Mexico under pressure will in turn look towards the US).

The expansion of the Sonoran will naturally drive people close to the border across it, that much is expected, but the economic/ecological situation for the rest of Mexico will affect its government's response to both that and how it deals with the US in general, and social unrest could result in an expansion of the drug cartels' power that could in turn shift their attention to their northern neighbor.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 30, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Hollismason posted:

This thread focuses on the USA a lot but I was just wondering what are going to be the affects of Climate Change on impoverished nations. Specifically places like Ethiopia , Somali, etc..

I don't read to much on it and was wondering if someone had a great article on the matter.

I know there will be vast swathes of land that are no longer inhabitable but where are these populations likely to go?

They will die.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fangz posted:

They will die.

No poo poo.

Eh I came up with a impact story

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...bf3b_story.html

And this

http://blog.oup.com/2016/04/climate-change-africa/

Of course the outlook isn't good.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

NewForumSoftware posted:

The problem with the whole "creating life still causes harm" is that anyone who actually believed this sort of poo poo would just kill themselves. What does "creating harm" even mean?

Like a million people at least kill themselves each year, you don't think any of them "actually believed this sort of poo poo"/were grappling with those issues?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

cosmicprank posted:

Like a million people at least kill themselves each year, you don't think any of them "actually believed this sort of poo poo"/were grappling with those issues?

Well I mean if you're going to adopt "life is suffering" as a mantra I don't know why you'd think posting about it on forums would do anything but get you laughed at.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

NewForumSoftware posted:

Well I mean if you're going to adopt "life is suffering" as a mantra I don't know why you'd think posting about it on forums would do anything but get you laughed at.

A person who believes that nothing matters is probably not going to hold your opinion of whether they should post in high regard.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Major population displacements are about the only thing that will cause violent terrorism vs private industries within the US. It's been mentioned over and over in the threads, but you need an exceptional amount of anger boiling across a large swath of demographics, with grievances that can be pinned to a target, in order to trigger that kind of response.

And even then, it's almost as likely the anger will be directed towards the government for not taking necessary steps or warning people enough about this, than against corporations themselves.

Thread also tends to make a big deal about how on the ball US intelligence agencies are on domestic terrorism, but all you need is 1-3 sufficiently insane/motivated people and that's a mass shooting or bombing, multiplied by whatever level of civil unrest is happening at the time.

I think people make the barriers for terrorism seem greater than they really are. Back in the 60s and 70s you had tons of what were usually fairly well-sheltered college age kids in America and Europe running around killing people and bombing places in the name of minuscule Ultra-leftist organisations seemingly without much support from the general populace. Its important to remember that terrorism can establish itself even if its not particularly popular, and it wasn't like economic conditions were that bad at the time. Even now you see some very violent terror attacks from small Radical Muslim groups scattered around the west.

I really wouldn't be surprised if domestic terror related to Global Warming began again in the near future, especially if employment remains crap (and/or gets worse due to automation), living standards fall for a lot of the population, income inequality keeps rising and macho hard right movements represented by people like Trump and Le Pen continue to gain traction. It would be close to a perfect storm.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 30, 2016

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah, people are overestimating how much effort it takes to cause a disruptive, violent event. I mean, we (Americans) live in a country where there's are multiple mass shootings every month and where there have been several armed fringe groups squaring up with the government on a small scale basis. Combine a bunch of political and social unrest with an aging, decrepit infrastructure and a soon-to-be dismantled or privatized government, then throw in a handful of climate events and it's easy to see things popping off.

Although when people talk about eco-terrorism I think we mostly envision Greenpeace ramming whaling boats or whatever. I think we're more likely to see the opposite sort of action, i.e. people violently disrupting adaptation or mitigation efforts because it would diminish their privileged little corner of the world.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Anti-natalism works from a philosophical standpoint that we may destroy all life on the planet and it would be better if some species survived over the human race.

Basically the viewpoint that the human race is not special and all life on the planet has more worth than humanities.

This is a really bad idea because we're in the last 500 million years of complex life on Earth and civilization has arisen only once in the last 3.5 billion years.

Most people are aware of the 5 billion year life left on the sun but many are not aware that increasing solar brightness will put Earth outside the habitable zone within 500 million years. Like nowhere on the surface lower than the boiling point of water dead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

This is a really bad idea because we're in the last 500 million years of complex life on Earth and civilization has arisen only once in the last 3.5 billion years.

Most people are aware of the 5 billion year life left on the sun but many are not aware that increasing solar brightness will put Earth outside the habitable zone within 500 million years. Like nowhere on the surface lower than the boiling point of water dead.

No, it still works as a philosophy. It's a human centric viewpoint and bias that says we are the most special species on earth. There are several animal species with complex life and what we would define as societies that exist now. You value human life over say dog life because you are a human being. We're a egocentric race.

By the way this argument is also the consciousness trap argument that says really consciousness isn't really that special either.I don't agree with this argument but I am also someone who believes the universe is completely indifferent to the human race.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 30, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's reasonable to assume that this is the best shot at a more advanced civilization than our own that the Earth will ever get, for two reasons. First, the easiest way to get past where we are is to start where we are. Starting from nothing will be much harder.

Second, birds and whales have been around for a very long time and they've never written anything down much less launched a rocket.

In the very long run, it's reasonable to assume that if Earth life wants to be more than a mote that eventually dies out, we're its best shot.

That may seem a ridiculously long term point of view but happily it squares with not ruining everything we like in the short term either.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

It's reasonable to assume that this is the best shot at a more advanced civilization than our own that the Earth will ever get, for two reasons. First, the easiest way to get past where we are is to start where we are. Starting from nothing will be much harder.

Second, birds and whales have been around for a very long time and they've never written anything down much less launched a rocket.

In the very long run, it's reasonable to assume that if Earth life wants to be more than a mote that eventually dies out, we're its best shot.

That may seem a ridiculously long term point of view but happily it squares with not ruining everything we like in the short term either.

This makes perfect sense in a philosophical / utilitarian viewpoint. Also, I don't believe that we as a human race will go extinct because we have the technological ability to create arcologies and biospheres to some degree. So maybe we'll get a ruined world dotted with climate controlled enviroments etc..

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Watch as Earth slowly dies over 30 years!

https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/#v=61.08289,-147.0517,8.77,latLng&t=0.00

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arglebargle III posted:

Well, assuming civilization-forming intelligent life needs to be endothermic, landbased and amniote that would mean it probably took roughly 250 million years to get to us? If worst case human-caused mass extinction does occur like its looks like it will you'll still have a lot of surviving animals that meet those requirements and more, like corvids, canines, rodents, psittacines and some primates, maybe if all humans went extinct it would be easy enough for the next civilisation building species to emerge over the remaining 500 million years of habitable earth time?

One thing I've become curious about recently is whether or not animal cognition has been on a rough but continuous upward rise since the major animal groups evolved. Like I'm pretty sure everything was a whole lot dumber back in the Cambrian period, but even going back to the times of dinosaurs scientists don't usually seem to have very flattering estimates of the mental capacities of early dinos. But they also seem to consider the brain sizes of later dinosaurs like Troodon TRex to be quite a bit more impressive than similar dinosaurs ages before them, like Allosaurus. And compared to animals today, Troodon, the dinosaur stereotypically seem as 'the smart one' wasn't much better than a modern day Opossum(which is a dumb animal), it would be totally outclassed in the brains department by current day dinos like Crows and Parrots. So maybe the next civilization creating creature is just around the corner, on a geological timescale anyway.

Anyway don't mind me, I find talking about animal smarts soothing after thinking about the existential dread of what Climate Change will do to us.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

khwarezm posted:

One thing I've become curious about recently is whether or not animal cognition has been on a rough but continuous upward rise since the major animal groups evolved. Like I'm pretty sure everything was a whole lot dumber back in the Cambrian period, but even going back to the times of dinosaurs scientists don't usually seem to have very flattering estimates of the mental capacities of early dinos. But they also seem to consider the brain sizes of later dinosaurs like Troodon TRex to be quite a bit more impressive than similar dinosaurs ages before them, like Allosaurus. And compared to animals today, Troodon, the dinosaur stereotypically seem as 'the smart one' wasn't much better than a modern day Opossum(which is a dumb animal), it would be totally outclassed in the brains department by current day dinos like Crows and Parrots. So maybe the next civilization creating creature is just around the corner, on a geological timescale anyway.

This is hard to gauge because we usually equate intelligence to how much a non-human thing can act like a human. We consider modern animals to be "smart" because they've adapted to our presence. Short of some as yet undiscovered species of frog in the Amazon or Cthulu-esque thing on the bottom of the ocean, every animal, insect, etc on this planet has had to figure out how to exist around us. Primates, domesticated animals, and any species that we live in close proximity to for agricultural reasons (cows, horses, birds, etc) are a bit "better" at it for obvious reasons.

Basically using human cognition as the yardstick for anything else is not the best metric. Even if any species can adapt fast enough and live long enough to develop advanced cognitive capacity (and that's a big if), it might look so alien to us as to not even be recognized as cognition.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

For the past four hours I've been playing this on glaciers in BC which I am familiar with / know are large: Ha-Iltzuk Icefield, Athabasca, etc.

But what caught my eye is that the massive semi-permanent snowpack which once girdled BC across the Spatzizi Plateau entirely vanished around the turn of the century, and the coast range & rockies snowpack has decreased by a third.

Then I scrolled down and watched Utah undergo desertification in real time.

Holy loving poo poo. :magical:

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 30, 2016

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So, I'm thinking of trying to move someplace relatively nice to wait out the incoming apocalypse in relative comfort. Anyone got any ideas for what areas will be the least turbo-hosed in the next few decades?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Veyrall posted:

So, I'm thinking of trying to move someplace relatively nice to wait out the incoming apocalypse in relative comfort. Anyone got any ideas for what areas will be the least turbo-hosed in the next few decades?

I reckon New Zealand will be just about the best suited to endure what's coming.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I recommend zooming in on west virginia or Wyoming to check out some surface mining. :discourse: It's unmistakable, just look for the patches resembling a bacterial colony in a petridish.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BattleMoose posted:

I reckon New Zealand will be just about the best suited to endure what's coming.

Yeah, I keep running across articles about how parts of New Zealand are being quietly made into rich people's apocalypse bunkers.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

:trumppop:

It's crazy scrolling around that map and seeing how rapidly cities have grown, like Dubai. It's kinda hard to see how that poo poo can be sustainable.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rime posted:

Then I scrolled down and watched Utah undergo desertification in real time.

Holy loving poo poo. :magical:

It is a shame we don't have this kind of resource for LA - supposedly the LA metroplex desert was an Eden before we hosed up wetlands and waterways.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hey, remember that good news about how China's coal production had peaked in 2013, years ahead of schedule?

Despite Climate Change Vow, China Pushes to Dig More Coal posted:

A lack of stockpiles and worries about electricity blackouts are spurring Chinese officials to reverse curbs that once helped reduce coal production. Mines are reopening. Miners are being lured back with fatter paychecks.

Troubled by pollution and worries about rising sea levels, China moved in recent months to rein in coal. Coal production dropped 3 percent last year — a result of that effort, but also a sign of slowing economic growth as well as a gradual shift in the Chinese economy toward American-style consumer spending and away from exports and heavy manufacturing.

That prompted the International Energy Agency to offer an optimistic reassessment this autumn: Chinese coal use peaked in 2013 and would now decline.

China’s reversal now is prompting skepticism. “There is still a peak coming,” said Xizhou Zhou, the head of Asia and Pacific gas and power analysis at IHS Energy, a global consulting group. “It’s still going to increase.”

IHS Energy forecasts that Chinese coal demand will not peak until 2026.

In recent weeks, China changed course. It halted most coal trading on commodities markets and encouraged state-owned mines to sign long-term contracts at low prices with power stations. This month, the National Development and Reform Commission raised the number of days that mines could operate to 330 days per year.

China will most likely be able to avoid blackouts, said Chang Yijun, the president of Shanxi Fenwei Energy, a regional coal consulting firm, who added that remaining output caps like the 330-day rule would still limit growth in emissions of greenhouse gases.

Residents in mining towns are delighted. An avenue here in Jincheng is lined with huge billboards, each carrying the same cheery message: “Coal prices are going up, and miners are smiling.”

From http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/business/energy-environment/china-coal-climate-change.html

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mozi posted:

Hey, remember that good news about how China's coal production had peaked in 2013, years ahead of schedule?

From http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/business/energy-environment/china-coal-climate-change.html

Welp. Between this and Donald Trump, I give it maybe two or three years before global economic growth and CO2 emissions are advancing in lock step again.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Wow China revised it's coal usage up again?! I'd almost be surprised if they hadn't been doing this every year for forever!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's not that they revised upwards the previous numbers, but they realized they did not have enough coal for various reasons and are frantically mining more.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mozi posted:

It's not that they revised upwards the previous numbers, but they realized they did not have enough coal for various reasons and are frantically mining more.

Clearly they need even more nucular power plants to replace coal plants 1:1.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

blowfish posted:

Clearly they need even more nucular power plants to replace coal plants 1:1.

Sarcastic or serious?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I saw this thread and decided to read it because I work for an Green Energy company, and now I see why they're spending so much time in lovely red states on Solar and Wind Projects. Holy poo poo.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

If I live in Seattle, should I seriously consider moving? Looking at projections, my place won't actually be underwater but it's still a cause for concern. What should I be doing right now to help?

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 30, 2016

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Elderbean posted:

If I live in Seattle, should I seriously consider moving? Looking at projections, my place won't actually be underwater but it's still a cause for concern. What should I be doing right now to help?

West coast people should probably worry more about the Cascadian fault than climate change in my opinion.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Elderbean posted:

No, major changes in 1st world industrialized nations are still decades out, because we can buffer them with our great wealth. And if there's some kind of weird, sudden globally catastrophic event, the effects of which are enough to destroy a Seattle or a San Francisco, then there's no place in the world where you could be safely isolated from its knock-on effects (social disturbance, martial law) short of the classic off-the-grid Tremors doomsday guns-and-tinned-food bunker.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Potato Salad posted:

Sarcastic or serious?

Serious. Though obviously nuclear plants are also good if the replace coal at a ratio other than 1:1.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Nocturtle posted:

West coast people should probably worry more about the Cascadian fault than climate change in my opinion.

I mean this is definitely true, but the west coast (not sure about the pacific northwest in particular) is actually pretty hosed over the long term by droughts, more serious wildfires, and likely groundwater issues. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if California ends up as ground zero for early issues that are both meaningfully difficult to deal with and undeniably tied to climate change.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mozi posted:

Sure hope all those miners the world over really enjoy the next five years before it all falls apart, but so much worse again.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

blowfish posted:

Serious. Though obviously nuclear plants are also good if the replace coal at a ratio other than 1:1.

I would think this would be a good route for them compared to other first world nations since they don't have to deal with the myriad of hurdles we have to deal with before you can get a nuclear plant running.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I'm pretty sure China is building nuclear as fast as they can and mining coal as fast as they can all at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Pillowpants posted:

I saw this thread and decided to read it because I work for an Green Energy company, and now I see why they're spending so much time in lovely red states on Solar and Wind Projects. Holy poo poo.

Your company does installs in China?