Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I feel like there's really no way out of this story that isn't "Here were two world class boxers ruined by having a broken, senile old man as a coach".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
So either Gen or Ginpachi are gonna kick the bucket soon?
Gen is gonna die anyways so we can see his ghost powering ippos final knockout punch as he takes the world title.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

That hurts to just *look* at.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So every time he does anything, his nuts are obliterated. Manga of the year, I say!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

they stole my ippo x five nights at freddy's fanfiction

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

What the heck happened to his balls :gonk:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

so much for having a monster dick he's all balls now

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
these chapters are pretty good. im antsy to return to the real stuff tho - wanna know just how hosed up ippos brain is

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
two new chapters out

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
drat kumi got no chill

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm not an expert in wearable weights but wouldn't wearing all that all the time be detrimental to his body? He's going to hurt something or move something out of position.

Fun chapters nonetheless, but it feels like they're setting up for a bait and switch between Ippo and Takamura.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pretty sure I linked this before but if you want another boxing manga Rikudo has been getting steadily good.

Real interesting artwork and the story is starting to come into its own a bit more.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Rikudou

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

That Works posted:

Pretty sure I linked this before but if you want another boxing manga Rikudo has been getting steadily good.

Real interesting artwork and the story is starting to come into its own a bit more.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Rikudou

Has it got the Dempsey roll though?

I'm not sure how i could manage a boxing manga without every other chapter being about the dempsey roll.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I hope the main character of that is taught all sorts of wrong poo poo also

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ElGroucho posted:

I hope the main character of that is taught all sorts of wrong poo poo also

There is definitely a trainer that gives no fucks about breaking his athletes.

Seriously though, it's pretty good and after the 1st few chapters the artwork gets really good.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Artelier posted:

I'm not an expert in wearable weights but wouldn't wearing all that all the time be detrimental to his body? He's going to hurt something or move something out of position.

Yeah, so? Apparently face-tanking a billion punches was not enough for Ippo, he needs better ways to destroy his body.

It's fine, Japanese spirit is stronger than punch-drunkeness.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who will his hero be? Jack Johnson, maybe?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Homer Simpson

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapters 1161-1163 are out.

It seems Ippo is not broken, for now anyways. Also, some nice coach butt.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
It's been a while since anything interesting has happened, but those are really good action scenes!

The story has been dull and sluggish, but Morikawa conveys motion really well.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
So let's speculate on how the new guy is gonna get his rear end handed to him in his title fight which will make Ippo will say "so THIS is world level!!!"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Centzon Totochtin posted:

So let's speculate on how the new guy is gonna get his rear end handed to him in his title fight which will make Ippo will say "so THIS is world level!!!"

He's from a different weight class so I think he'll never show up again.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

takamura is def broken i feel :(

can't wait to see loving insane ippo in the ring. get his brain right and lets win this world title bro we been waiting YEARS

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so if ippo is really good at throwing his weight around from off angles why doesn't he become an outboxer instead of continuing his slow death march?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

yeah maybe now coach will teach him not to take so many punches to the head

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
so ippo is now the boxing equivalent of a wacky inflatable tube man

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
New Strategy: Mutually Assured Destruction
New Tactic: Break the opponent's hand on your liver

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

ElGroucho posted:

New Strategy: Mutually Assured Destruction
New Tactic: Break the opponent's hand on your liver

Kid! We're finally going to teach you the true power of the Kamogawa Cirrhosis block!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Stairmaster posted:

so if ippo is really good at throwing his weight around from off angles why doesn't he become an outboxer instead of continuing his slow death march?

twist: he becomes Naseem Hamed after shedding some pounds and getting some confidence

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Rewatching the Ippo anime. Man, early Ippo is so goooooood. This series should have ended after he won the Japanese Championship... So many good early stuff and not a lot of gimmicks. Also, I always really liked the Umezawa story-line. Dunno why, but just him becoming a better person after watching Ippo doing his best at boxing is good storytelling.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
The anime was loving great, I rewatch the first season with my wife every now and then, it's goddamn adorable

Which is why the manga has been pretty disappointing for me :(

ed: bad phone!

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 7, 2016

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the manga has been good again for a while

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1164 is out.

The reason you come to Hajime no Ippo, Takamura :dong:. Anyway, Ippo is Top Man now. But is he actually broken? The last page hints at things..

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 1164 is out.

The reason you come to Hajime no Ippo, Takamura :dong:. Anyway, Ippo is Top Man now. But is he actually broken? The last page hints at things..

:3:

When you said broken, do you mean overpowered? It looks like Ippo is overpowered again, based on the last two chapters. He needs to be, if he's going to fight with Martinez and friends.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

hes referring to the last page hinting at ippo himself being surprised he drew a straight line. meaning that in practicing the line, he's been loving up a bunch, and doing it correctly at the gym might have been a fluke. that's likely what they're going with to provide dramatic tension - he's fooled everyone at the gym for now, but ippos still pretty hosed up

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm catching up on the chapters, and this part where Ippo wears weight bands is funny. Don't those actually gently caress up your joints or something in reality (if you wear them constantly especially) instead of making you stronger? Also it's going to be pretty absurd is 1 week of wearing them gives Ippo some big power-up, since 1 week of literally any exercise isn't going to do jack poo poo.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Ytlaya posted:

I'm catching up on the chapters, and this part where Ippo wears weight bands is funny. Don't those actually gently caress up your joints or something in reality (if you wear them constantly especially) instead of making you stronger? Also it's going to be pretty absurd is 1 week of wearing them gives Ippo some big power-up, since 1 week of literally any exercise isn't going to do jack poo poo.

You're asking for way too much realism from this series at this point.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

If its works for our lord and savior Goku, it'll work for Ippo.

Just before Ippo faces the world champ, he enters the hyperbolic time chamber. Calling it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ He'll do some convoluted training inspired by Itagaki that allows him to slow down his perception of time. Like maybe he'll be forced to watch TV and listen to music at 10x speed for a week and become capable of slowing down his time perception by 10x as a result.

"This music that once sounded too fast to understand now sounds normal to me!"

Frabba posted:

You're asking for way too much realism from this series at this point.

Well, yeah, though I think that Ippo's past exercise at least would help some, even if it wasn't necessarily the best stuff to do.