Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Why the Air Balloon?

I would assume so that it doesn't get splatted by incidental earthquake damage, also so it's safe to switch in against said earthquakes.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've never done legit PvP before but I'm interested in VGC. The Doubles format seems easy to get into.

I've a vague idea of running Ninetales-A with Snow Warning and Aurora Veil with an Overcoat Automotize Kommo-O. I feel like I should run a Tapu just to have the ability to reverse weather against opposing Tapus but idk. Any advice on complements to Ninetales and Kommo are welcome.

Instead of running your own Tapu, beat them with a Poison Memory Silvally. :getin:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you hate Aegislash, just put a choice band on your garchomp

I love garchomp so I love battle spot. I also enjoy the minigame of picking three from my six

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Note Block posted:

NEBBY GOT IN THE BEAST BALL FINALLY

Congratulations, your dedication is both inspiring and insane.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Waffles Inc. posted:

is cybertron not liked within the community? he seems fine and i've learned a lot watching road to ranked

He's young and for most of his relevant "career" has been an unrepentant rear end in a top hat. During X/Y he would openly make fun of the wave of new folks interested in dabbling with VGC and was offended that people would dare waste his time with basic inquiries regarding competitive pokemon

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm on the second island. I love my Brionne but there are so many cool new fish pokemon this suuuuucks

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fun Times! posted:

I'm on the second island. I love my Brionne but there are so many cool new fish pokemon this suuuuucks

Embrace it and make a 6-water team

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Dizz posted:

Got destiny knots ready for whomever wanted one.

0233 - 1931 - 6531

Any chance you still have one? I'll trade you a fine Jolly Marill with Aqua Jet, 1977-0303-4337!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
For Alola raichu besides Nasty Plot from Pichu are there any pre-evo moves I want or is it all TMs after Nasty Plot?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Embrace it and make a 6-water team

This is actually a Very Good Idea because of Pelipper getting Drizzle this gen. Lots of dudes with Swift Swim or another rain-boosted ability, in addition to the boost to water moves.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 30, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fun Times! posted:

Use the fish as well.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

For Alola raichu besides Nasty Plot from Pichu are there any pre-evo moves I want or is it all TMs after Nasty Plot?

Not from Pichu, no, but there's Volt Tackle, Electro Ball, Discharge, and Nuzzle from Pikachu if you're into those.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Volt Tackle can be taught to Pikachu only by a girl in Konikoni city, it can be a decent option against specially bulky pokemon.

Electro Ball is better than thunder/bolt against slow targets, especially in electric terrain.

Nuzzle is almost strictly better than t-wave now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So general consensus is that Team Skull and Guzma are the best team and team leader ever right
Man I just remembered that one final grunt in Aether Paradise who's all like I just saw you beat everyone, I'm not going to fight you because I don't fight battles I can't win and that was incredible.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Shortest Path posted:

Volt Tackle can be taught to Pikachu only by a girl in Konikoni city, it can be a decent option against specially bulky pokemon.

Electro Ball is better than thunder/bolt against slow targets, especially in electric terrain.

Nuzzle is almost strictly better than t-wave now.

Note that the only way you're getting Electric Terrain up before post game is Togedemaru. The only Alola Dex mons that learn it by level up are him and Electivire, and Electivire learns it ridiculously late.

Though once you have Togedemaru, you can breed it onto a Pichu.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anyone got the ability to make an Impish HA Grimer?

I can trade you a Popplio or Litten.

I can also do Mareanie in a Beast Ball or maybe Beldum in a Beast Ball. Both of these are thanks to someone else in the thread though.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
Man, nuzlock is just not fun in SuMo as it is in older gens. The Totem pokemon are ridiculous, S.O.S battles are dangerous, and the trainers having some crazy stats going you end up just losing left and right. I think I'm officially calling it quits on that. Time to be dumb and really enjoy the game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

cancerianmoth posted:

Man, nuzlock is just not fun in SuMo as it is in older gens. The Totem pokemon are ridiculous, S.O.S battles are dangerous, and the trainers having some crazy stats going you end up just losing left and right. I think I'm officially calling it quits on that. Time to be dumb and really enjoy the game.

This is the first one I'm considering doing a nuzlocke run at all. I had some genuinely difficult battles, never lost, but difficult battles for my all-ghost team. I tried a Nuzlocke once way back in the day, but it was just like playing the game normally except I had to use crappier dudes overall and I bought more potions than usual. The totem pokemon and trials seem like they'd offer occasional challenges you'd have to come prepared for.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah S&M are probably the third hardest games to Nuzlocke, right behind HGSS because of its length and difficulty spikes and of course B&W hard mode. It's a fun challenge so far.

E: Lusamine is giving off some batshit crazy vibes and I'm gonna have to guess that they end up being one of the last bosses in the story.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've never done legit PvP before but I'm interested in VGC. The Doubles format seems easy to get into.

I've a vague idea of running Ninetales-A with Snow Warning and Aurora Veil with an Overcoat Automotize Kommo-O. I feel like I should run a Tapu just to have the ability to reverse weather against opposing Tapus but idk. Any advice on complements to Ninetales and Kommo are welcome.

Good luck running Kommo-o. That 4x fairy weakness in the Tapu meta will destroy you. Its worth knowing though that Tapu Koko's only fairy move is dazzling gleam, so a wide guard can protect you from it. In some sort of sick joke, Tapu Bulu is a physical attacker with no access to play rough so all it will do is throw grass moves. Tapu Lele and Fini will annihilate your Kommo-o though. Also intimidate spam is a pretty common strat so I'd go a special build over a physical one.

Instead of running your own Tapu, beat them with a Poison Memory Silvally. :getin:

*vaporized by choice scarf Tapu Lele*

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dizz posted:

Added.

0233 - 1931 - 6531 if anyone still wants a destiny knot and a castform / Vannilite

I will be on for a good hour if any of you are able to take advantage of it.

Thank you so much for the Knot, you are my Pokegod.

Anyway, is there a guaranteed way now to get a 5/6 IV Ditto besides chaining for a 4IV one and pray to the RNGgod?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

*vaporized by choice scarf Tapu Lele*

Fair, but he can outspeed all non-scarfed Tapus with a max speed investment and then OHKO them.

Palladium posted:

Thank you so much for the Knot, you are my Pokegod.

Anyway, is there a guaranteed way now to get a 5/6 IV Ditto besides chaining for a 4IV one and pray to the RNGgod?

Nope, but a 6 IV is 1/1024 and a 5 IV is only 1/16 after a 40 chain so it aint that bad. The real hard stuff is trying to get a 0 speed or attack IV with 31 in the rest.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 30, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
more trick room replays, hot off the presses

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-486192767

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-486198395

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-485429766

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Emalde posted:

He's young and for most of his relevant "career" has been an unrepentant rear end in a top hat. During X/Y he would openly make fun of the wave of new folks interested in dabbling with VGC and was offended that people would dare waste his time with basic inquiries regarding competitive pokemon

whoah no poo poo? he comes across on YT as incredibly likeable. yikes. what a bummer.

also boy are my arms tired your team is absolutely killing it on BS tonight--6 unbeaten in my best streak. You really landed on something with the S.ATK Celesteela and Togedemaru. The Fake Out is what makes it because you basically get a free Automize or two and then just Flash Cannon everything to death.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
For good people to watch on YouTube, Joey pokeaim is great, super high level battler. Thunderblunder777 is hilarious and is one of the top like 3-4 OU players rn (when he's actually trying), Kevin Cronin/bkc does a ton of high level ournament stuff and is probably in the top 10 players of all time

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Waffles Inc. posted:

whoah no poo poo? he comes across on YT as incredibly likeable. yikes. what a bummer.

also boy are my arms tired your team is absolutely killing it on BS tonight--6 unbeaten in my best streak. You really landed on something with the S.ATK Celesteela and Togedemaru. The Fake Out is what makes it because you basically get a free Automize or two and then just Flash Cannon everything to death.

One doesn't generally record yourself being an asshat.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tfw you make your first team in 10 minutes, press 2 buttons 3 times in a row and know you just peaked your entire vgc career

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-486198780

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fair, but he can outspeed all non-scarfed Tapus with a max speed investment and then OHKO them.

Tapu Koko outspeeds him easily and can probably OHKO him in return. Tapu Koko is really goddamn fast and strong when his electric terrain is up.

Fortunately my good friend Alolan Marowak makes him very sad.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

cancerianmoth posted:

I had a lot of fun with mine and I think it's actually the best nuzlocke with some caveats: 1) going in blind can really suck, more than past games 2) you need to use species clause, 100%. I even played with set and what ended my run was just going in blind because Hau ambushed me outside the E4 when my team was 4/6 new things I was going to level in the grass. Before then I was losing 1-2 things every totem battle and the occasional other thing but there are a ton of routes so I still had nearly a full box of things alive.

All of the totem battles are fine--at least once you know what they are--so long as you listened to the NPCs and used x-items. You're unlikely to have caught yourself into a hole so long as you're using species clause, outside of maybe the schoolteacher battle if you got super unlucky. If you're not using species clause this is probably kanto tier un-fun since you're unlikely to even have a chance at using most of the new pokemon and instead would have a box full of the same stuff on repeat.

Oh, you mentioned S.O.S. battles. Did you know that a status effect stops them so long as you aren't mid-trial? During trials they can call stuff while status'd but not outside of them. Beyond that, I wouldn't play the game with a "never run" or "no repel" rule. They shouldn't effect difficulty outside of that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm glad my friend the orangutan is strong, even if its in a format i dont play

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Even with species clause like half of my mons are gen 1 dudes. I'm fine with that though, because alola forms are neat, Machoke is a loving boss as always, and Z-Splash Gyarados is hilarious.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/803806485620883456

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I've been reading this thread I swear I have and I know this has been asked but I seriously can't find it. Where is a good place to EXP grind post game? I'm chaining golducks but it's just... so... slow...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Countblanc posted:

i'm glad my friend the orangutan is strong, even if its in a format i dont play

Oranguru is really good so long as you aren't greedy and give him a mental herb. I really, really wish Salazzle had frisk so I could know when the Oranguru is tauntable.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Egg hatching animation is so cute in this game

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Can you post that team? It looks really fun.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

alolan shellder :allears:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

g0lbez posted:

I've been reading this thread I swear I have and I know this has been asked but I seriously can't find it. Where is a good place to EXP grind post game? I'm chaining golducks but it's just... so... slow...

The Elite 4. It sucks though, welcome to hell

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Alola Persian best Persian, best pokecat fullstop.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wait, is that two different Golems or did you just change the nickname?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Decus posted:

I had a lot of fun with mine and I think it's actually the best nuzlocke with some caveats: 1) going in blind can really suck, more than past games 2) you need to use species clause, 100%. I even played with set and what ended my run was just going in blind because Hau ambushed me outside the E4 when my team was 4/6 new things I was going to level in the grass. Before then I was losing 1-2 things every totem battle and the occasional other thing but there are a ton of routes so I still had nearly a full box of things alive.

All of the totem battles are fine--at least once you know what they are--so long as you listened to the NPCs and used x-items. You're unlikely to have caught yourself into a hole so long as you're using species clause, outside of maybe the schoolteacher battle if you got super unlucky. If you're not using species clause this is probably kanto tier un-fun since you're unlikely to even have a chance at using most of the new pokemon and instead would have a box full of the same stuff on repeat.

Oh, you mentioned S.O.S. battles. Did you know that a status effect stops them so long as you aren't mid-trial? During trials they can call stuff while status'd but not outside of them. Beyond that, I wouldn't play the game with a "never run" or "no repel" rule. They shouldn't effect difficulty outside of that.

I did know about the S.O.S battles, but I've been stuck with pokemon that don't give status effect or if they do, they died. I'm down to 2 mon and I just finished the 1st trial. I'm also playing the species clause LOOSELY. So as long as the route changes name in some fashion (route 1 has 3 variances: school, outer haouli, and actual rt1) each area counts separately. And if the pokemon has a special encounter type- crabawler or vullaby, then they can be caught along with whatever route pokemon. It should give me way more but I'm playing way too stupid and i'm frustrating myself haha. I may keep pushing just bc it is challenging. But everytime I lose one I cry inside. Especially after I've had some special moments with refresh. Did you know that drowzee does this flex-and-point-to-the-sky-pose?!