Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
Wasn't Pelosi the one behind that stupid sit in over gun control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

mugrim posted:

Pelosi is usually great, it's just worrisome the coastal divide taking place.

Truth.

I live in one of the bluest parts of the Left Coast but I grew up in Oklahoma and the Midwest so this terrifies me too.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Nancy Pelosi has been an effective leader of the House Democrats. That said, she's facing a challenge to her leadership, and the method of attack she used against Ryan in that interview is a bit of a head scratcher.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
pelosi will do her job of fighting back about medicare/medicaid and thats important enough to accept her now

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Alter Ego posted:

Nancy Pelosi has been an effective leader of the House Democrats. That said, she's facing a challenge to her leadership, and the method of attack she used against Ryan in that interview is a bit of a head scratcher.

The most optimistic/charitable reading is that Pelosi was teed off that Ryan took a not-too-veiled swipe at the exact demographic Pelosi depends on to get reelected time and time again (rich urban Dems from coastal cities, because Pelosi is from San Francisco) and put her foot in her mouth because of it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

bump_fn posted:

pelosi will do her job of fighting back about medicare/medicaid and thats important enough to accept her now
i think she needs lessons on keeping a grip on reality from The Bern she seems to be losing grip of it lately

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Well What Now posted:

Truth.

I live in one of the bluest parts of the Left Coast but I grew up in Oklahoma and the Midwest so this terrifies me too.

I see poo poo like this, and I get loving terrified.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
2020 Democratic Primary Thread: The gently caress is a fish fry?

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

mugrim posted:

Likewise, I like pelosi a lot, but this is upsetting...:

"Hillary can not fail, she can only be failed"

Seriously, the guy won a district in a swing state that was down by votes. He might know something about turning out democrat voters. The argument he couldn't carry a candidate who had far more air time than him isn't an argument against him, it's an argument against that candidate.

How involved is the House Minority Leader supposed to be in managing countrywide races? My understanding is that they are primarily responsible for maintaining party discipline and voicing opposition on the hill, not outreach.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Arkhams Razor posted:

How involved is the House Minority Leader supposed to be in managing countrywide races? My understanding is that they are primarily responsible for maintaining party discipline and voicing opposition on the hill, not outreach.

It's less of a matter of what she's responsible for, and more a problem of a very prominent voice in the party that has power basically dismissing an entire region of the country from a dude who won a place the dem candidate lost in. Ryan is 100% on the money here in his assessment, and even Obama has said the same thing almost word for word.

Pelosi is one of the five dems people can usually label and that's important.

I'm hoping she's just pissed because he challenged her, because if she ACTUALLY thinks this the dems are hosed because that attitude will be pervasive.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

bump_fn posted:

Someone should ask Tim Ryan what he will do about the GOP's attempts to privatize Medicare. If he equivocates at all I'd hope that would disqualify him in the minds of anyone who wants to win in 2017 and beyond.

I think our road back starts the exact same way the GOP's did. Win the governorships in NJ and VA and end Chris Christie once and for all.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

resar posted:

Wasn't Pelosi the one behind that stupid sit in over gun control?

Not just gun control, but about expanding the use of the kafka-eqsue no fly list for use as a no gun buying list. Though just about every democrat, even Bernie, was in on that.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Yeah the top down bullshit needs to stop before the Dems just become the Green Party and run someone for President every time for some reason.. Saying he didn't carry his district for Hillary is an indictment of Hillary, not Ryan. I hope Pelosi's just politicking and not being expressive, because god drat.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Pelosi is good at what she needs to be good at--maintaining party discipline in a fractious House.

Keith Ellison being head of the DNC would be a far better move than replacing Pelosi.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

Pelosi is good at what she needs to be good at--maintaining party discipline in a fractious House.

Keith Ellison being head of the DNC would be a far better move than replacing Pelosi.
yeah pelosi has some brain cells left, it's gonna suck when corporatists finally assimilate her though

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Democratic Thread: The gently caress is a fish fry?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Paul Ryan's majority shrank this election and it was already precarious beforehand. He's got a bunch of loonies on his right that are ready to torch the whole place if he doesn't agree to defund the government. Given that, the Democrats' best strategy in the House, which is an entirely majoritarian body, is to march in lockstep unity and force him to make concessions or achieve nothing. Pelosi has six years of experience showing she can do this.

I do understand the desire to force a change of leadership, and especially understand why members from the rust belt don't like her after she purged them from the environmental committee and replaced them with Californians to force CAFE standard through when she was the Speaker. There's also the mild corruption stuff, like using military flights to shuttle her family around. I don't think any of that is worth putting an untested, potentially divisive, leader in charge of a group that has no power if it splinters right now.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

The Democratic Thread: The gently caress is a fish fry?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Paul Ryan's majority shrank this election and it was already precarious beforehand. He's got a bunch of loonies on his right that are ready to torch the whole place if he doesn't agree to defund the government. Given that, the Democrats' best strategy in the House, which is an entirely majoritarian body, is to march in lockstep unity and force him to make concessions or achieve nothing. Pelosi has six years of experience showing she can do this.

I do understand the desire to force a change of leadership, and especially understand why members from the rust belt don't like her after she purged them from the environmental committee and replaced them with Californians to force CAFE standard through when she was the Speaker. There's also the mild corruption stuff, like using military flights to shuttle her family around. I don't think any of that is worth putting an untested, potentially divisive, leader in charge of a group that has no power if it splinters right now.

pelosi's control of the house dems is so iron tight i'd be surprised if tim ryan doesn't end up voting for her

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The house doesn't filibuster so what's the benefit of a minority leader being good at keeping party discipline in line? She can help make sure they lose votes by smaller margins?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

The house doesn't filibuster so what's the benefit of a minority leader being good at keeping party discipline in line? She can help make sure they lose votes by smaller margins?

Presumably the whip of the opposing side will have trouble getting 100% of their side to vote due to regional concerns. There's certain untouchable add ons and issues with certain districts.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

How serious is Tim Ryan's challenge?

I've kind of assumed it was mostly a way to publicly show discontent with leadership after a lovely election, but not a real challenge to the status quo.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Thoguh posted:

For the past like 6 years, the republicans were uncontrollable, which meant that a good way to make something pass that body was if the democrats were okay with it. Since Pelosi could guarentee all the dems would vote, the majority could go to her and be like "okay I can't pass this with my members, but if we find a computerize we can get this through."

I donno what the case will be now, though. I have no idea how the house will work this new session.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Thoguh posted:

Paul Ryan needs 218 votes to pass anything. He has 233 Republicans, about 40 of whom are totally nuts.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
if I run for congress on a full transparency I will gently caress your enemies bulletin would I stand a chance

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

mugrim posted:

Pelosi is usually great, it's just worrisome the coastal divide taking place.

Is this really a coastal divide? Or is it just a divide between class? I mean is the gap between the rich whites in the coast vs the working class whites in the midwest any bigger than the gap between the rich whites in the coast and the working class whites an hour away , or possibly even within the city?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Grondoth posted:

For the past like 6 years, the republicans were uncontrollable, which meant that a good way to make something pass that body was if the democrats were okay with it. Since Pelosi could guarentee all the dems would vote, the majority could go to her and be like "okay I can't pass this with my members, but if we find a computerize we can get this through."

I donno what the case will be now, though. I have no idea how the house will work this new session.

back during the bush admin when the GOP controlled the house they just shut dems out of everything, sometimes literally shutting committee doors in democrat's faces

so, look forward to that, unless....

Joementum posted:

Paul Ryan needs 218 votes to pass anything. He has 233 Republicans, about 40 of whom are totally nuts.

this might throw a wrench in things

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Joementum posted:

In 13 years as minority leader and Speaker she has seen the Democrats lose a net 11 seats in the House and is basically the DC Democrat Establishment figurehead, continuing on with her as leader sends a signal that nothing went wrong in 2014 or 2016 and nothing needs to change.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

In 13 years as minority leader and Speaker she has seen the Democrats lose a net 11 seats in the House and is basically the DC Democrat Establishment figurehead, continuing on with her as leader sends a signal that nothing went wrong in 2014 or 2016 and nothing needs to change.

are you missing a digit because 11 seats in the house doesn't sound awful

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

mugrim posted:

It's less of a matter of what she's responsible for, and more a problem of a very prominent voice in the party that has power basically dismissing an entire region of the country from a dude who won a place the dem candidate lost in. Ryan is 100% on the money here in his assessment, and even Obama has said the same thing almost word for word.

Pelosi is one of the five dems people can usually label and that's important.

Is it? I doubt any voter will give half of a poo poo as long as the representative they're actually voting for can deliver them the right message. I think Alter Ego has the right of it, in that getting Ellison in as DNC chair is the single most important change we can make in regards to rebuilding the party.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I could have went with down 63 from the peak in 2008 but it seemed more fair to start in 2003

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's the difference between needing a few Republicans to not be batshit crazy and needing a few +11 so it's bad enough

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

CubsWoo posted:

Yup, that's a problem that needs to be addressed. If I thought replacing Pelosi with Tim Ryan would help that along more than the Democrats will benefit from having her head the House conference right now, I'd support his candidacy for leader.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
infighting is stupid unless it has a specific point

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh i see, i misread and thought it was cumulative losses

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

CubsWoo posted:

shes not really that responsible for winning seats tho.

like, marching orders can affect downticket races, but most of their wins come from infrastructure and resources, which pelosi does not provide them. she just changes their permanent record sometimes.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
"Tell me, Mr. Ryan, how many boulevards in San Francisco bear your name?" *Maniacal laughter*

AceRimmer has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Nov 30, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

anime was right posted:

shes not really that responsible for winning seats tho.

like, marching orders can affect downticket races, but most of their wins come from infrastructure and resources, which pelosi does not provide them. she just changes their permanent record sometimes.

I'm absolutely fine with keeping Minority Leader Pelosi in the spotlight for as long as humanly possible myself

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the san francisco building thats literally sinking should be named after hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
pelosi is pretty progressive while also being establishment and i think throwing everyone who is half useful against the wall is dumb.

• Locked thread