Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Convenient that Borderlands is coming up in the thread again since I finally got around to actually finishing BL2 over the weekend. Now that I've played the whole thing, some points:

- I found exactly one legendary weapon in the entire game. It wasn't from killing one of the important bosses, but from some sort of weird treasure chest enemy that came out of a generic cardboard box halfway through the game. Even when the final boss died and vomited weapons all over the arena, there was nothing above purple rarity. Maybe they show up more often if you can actually stand to play through the game again on NG+.

- The best weapon in the entire game wasn't anything legendary or epic, but a stupid joke gun from a sidequest most people wouldn't bother doing. It involves one of the Hyperion robots trying to become human by adorning itself with human body parts, and at the end gives you a green-quality pistol that claims to do over 3000 per shot when every other pistol at that level range does about 1/10th that amount. If you shoot enemies directly it will only do ~300, but if you shoot the ground in front of them the ricochet will split up with each scattershot pellet doing the gun's original damage. If you do it right, all the pellets will hit and you can damage enemies the same amount as your epic quality rocket launchers would. Since the ordinary guns you find are generally underwhelming, I spent the entire remainder of the game utilizing a dumb gimmick of bouncing pistol->shotgun blasts off the ground in front of everything that wasn't a flying enemy. I spent the entire final boss battle not even looking at it, since in order to pull off the ricochet shot against a massive monster like that I had to basically point my character in its general direction and shoot at my own feet.

- In the end you take off Handsome Jack's mask. This is probably supposed to be some sort of important reveal, but Jack died face down with his head stuck in a hole so I couldn't see his actual face. Had to look it up on Google afterwards.

- I got whatever collectors edition was on a Steam sale a while ago which came with all the DLC already installed. You're supposed to access it from the warp menu as you're playing through, with the content geared towards certain level ranges. At no point during your playthrough does it mention this, so I was assuming it would all be post-game content to do once I was finished. Maybe it's listed in the sidequest menus, but if so it's not in any way that stands out as "Here's that special DLC content." To play through it now, I would have to either do it massively overleveled in NG, or play through the game again on NG+ and be sure to track it down when I'm at a suitable NG+ level range.

- Menus are garbage and don't get any less annoying to navigate regardless of how long you play.

NoEyedSquareGuy has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pokemon sun and moon festival plaza servers just crashed because (i assume) everyone was doing a global Type Advantage quiz mission at the same time. I just want to give my friend his vikavolt back, gently caress the plaza

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dartonus posted:

Iirc the Easy Ride menu has an option for "restart last event", check your bindings to figure out how to open it.

Hey thanks! Found it and it made another burning route way more tolerable - and, best of all, it introduced me to the skip song button, which is all I needed to make the radio perfect. :D

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Death Zebra posted:

After completing the first few floors of the main dungeon in Baroque the food (i.e. most of the healing items you find) is rotten. I can't really find a method to make them fresh and even if there was it would probably not be available most of the time. The game in general is too obtuse; I ended up spending about 2 hours completing a dungeon unnecessarily thinking it would make me progress. Given that your level resets after completion of a dungeon the time spent was almost entirely wasted.

There are like a million different ways to get food in Baroque from throwing rotten poo poo to the two-faced mechanical angel to brands and mines that turn everything in your inventory to food or turn spoiled food fresh or vice-versa. Completing a dungeon is never ever ever unnecessary because there's always at least one Consciousness Orb on the penultimate floor to save an item for the next run, like one of the brands or mines that turn everything in your inventory to food. I'm pretty sure there's items that allow you to eat rotten food as well, and items that lower your food consumption to the point where it's practically a nonissue.

The game is definitely very obtuse (I've still never beaten it) but it's obviously a conscious design decision - the whole game is so pointedly weird and fatalistic that telling you anything you actually need to know would practically be cheating. Not for everyone, and in fact not a game I'd ever even recommend to anyone, but drat if it's not unique in a really cool way. I dig it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

food court bailiff posted:

There are like a million different ways to get food in Baroque from throwing rotten poo poo to the two-faced mechanical angel to brands and mines that turn everything in your inventory to food or turn spoiled food fresh or vice-versa. Completing a dungeon is never ever ever unnecessary because there's always at least one Consciousness Orb on the penultimate floor to save an item for the next run, like one of the brands or mines that turn everything in your inventory to food. I'm pretty sure there's items that allow you to eat rotten food as well, and items that lower your food consumption to the point where it's practically a nonissue.

The game is definitely very obtuse (I've still never beaten it) but it's obviously a conscious design decision - the whole game is so pointedly weird and fatalistic that telling you anything you actually need to know would practically be cheating. Not for everyone, and in fact not a game I'd ever even recommend to anyone, but drat if it's not unique in a really cool way. I dig it.

It was really cool but I gave up on it after like, an hour because I had no loving clue how to play it and it didn't even try to explain its self to me.

Ranma Fan Art posted:

I am really enjoying Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth but I can't change my characters outfit and I loving hate yellow. This is my only complaint once I found the short battle animations option.

I hope you like grinding and waiting for farm training to finish.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Baroque is a roguelike for people that think Crawl casualized the roguelike experience.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Saint Freak posted:

Also how did 'call for help' pass any kind of QA. Like, at least one person should've looked at that and thought 'maybe let's cap it at two or something so people don't get stuck fighting forever'.

The SOS actually does have a mechanic to it, the longer chains you go you start seeing pokemon with hidden abilities, or having higher IVs, or I think higher shiny chance. Also you could just run away... unless you want to catch that pokemon, yeah.

You can stop them from calling for help by putting a status on them, but the game doesn't make this clear, which is a definite thing dragging it down although I'm sure someone is going to be like "here is some person or sign or dialogue explaining exactly what's up y'all are dumb for not seeing it"

I do think it should maybe have decreasing chance of success the more it calls, unless you specifically use the item that ups the chances.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Plan Z posted:

I can understand that. One of the things that drags down old PC games is usability. I went ten years without playing Deus Ex, and when I tried to load it up, I couldn't get very far before giving up. Same thing happened with Medieval 2: Total War and Panzer General. I just forgot how to play them and didn't have the time or energy to want to re-learn the intricacies. It's one of the reasons why I love the current generation of games that are nostalgic for older stuff, but at the same time use modern ideas of game design to improve usability to a large degree.

From about 1999 to 2005 is a really lovely time for games to go back to afterwards in general, particularly right now. On PC there's a lot of games that are just a pain to get rolling on modern machines (Deus Ex, Morrowind, and VtM Bloodlines all come to mind), and on consoles that point is where the systems aren't just able to be easily emulated with on-board hardware. If you want to play a game from the early 00s and it hasn't gotten an HD re-release, it's kind of a crapshoot how well you can play it at all.

And that's not getting near the fact interfaces and approaches have evolved. In my experience you can tell exactly how old a game is by exactly how it handles certain things. That's something I kinda like, though, because there's often a lot of consistency; you see Deus Ex and Morrowind's absurd amounts of numbers laid out in clearly separated ways and you know 'oh yeah, I'm playing that era of western RPG'. It's the same sort of thing as when you see some of the attempts at being overtly cinematic on the original Playstation (particularly Square getting borderline avant-garde), I just love that feeling of 'gently caress yeah, late 90s!'

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cleretic posted:

From about 1999 to 2005 is a really lovely time for games to go back to afterwards in general, particularly right now. On PC there's a lot of games that are just a pain to get rolling on modern machines (Deus Ex, Morrowind, and VtM Bloodlines all come to mind), and on consoles that point is where the systems aren't just able to be easily emulated with on-board hardware. If you want to play a game from the early 00s and it hasn't gotten an HD re-release, it's kind of a crapshoot how well you can play it at all.

And that's not getting near the fact interfaces and approaches have evolved. In my experience you can tell exactly how old a game is by exactly how it handles certain things. That's something I kinda like, though, because there's often a lot of consistency; you see Deus Ex and Morrowind's absurd amounts of numbers laid out in clearly separated ways and you know 'oh yeah, I'm playing that era of western RPG'. It's the same sort of thing as when you see some of the attempts at being overtly cinematic on the original Playstation (particularly Square getting borderline avant-garde), I just love that feeling of 'gently caress yeah, late 90s!'

My hands-down favorite thing about Titan Quest is the complete lack of fiddling to get it running. No compatibility modes, no weird hacks or patches, just booting up and telling the option screen I want widescreen windowed mode with a zoomed in hud - and then I could play.

I know GOG used to do this for old games and now they don't, but that's the biggest barrier between me and a round of, say, Doom: gotta fiddle with it.

e: X-COM is a better example. Even once you have the special launcher and it's set up, welcome to micro-management hell. No, the buttons aren't labeled.

It might be a fundamentally better game than XCOM, but ye gods the work to get there and enjoy it, from technical stuff to actually playing.

StrixNebulosa has a new favorite as of 10:12 on Nov 29, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Morrowind was really hard to get into when it came out. It was totally worth the effort, but man it was really hard to sit down and get through that initial learning curve.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

Pokemon sun and moon festival plaza servers just crashed because (i assume) everyone was doing a global Type Advantage quiz mission at the same time. I just want to give my friend his vikavolt back, gently caress the plaza

I finally found someone who could give me a five star shop, but it would cost 1500 festival coins. For that I would need to sit down and grind coins for hours in the dullest minigames imaginable (e.g. you walk up to people and they say "I have a fire/steel type, which attacks would be super effective?). No thanks.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
DMC has a challenge room that reduces your HP to 1 for a fight and doesn't refill it after you're finished. Right after you finish the challenge room, you have to platform between floating rocks. Up until this point, there has been lava that shoots up between rocks every few seconds, so you have to time your jumps between lava bursts. However, the gaps between the rocks right after the challenge room didn't have any lava in them. I could see lava shoot up between rocks in the distance, so I figured I was in a safe zone. Nope. As soon as I jumped across the gap, Dante immediately lost all his health and fell to his death. I guess they forgot to animate lava for a quarter of the level.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I bought Fable 3 over the XBox Black Friday deal, and it's good! I'm having a lot of fun with it just....c'mon, give me a jump button!

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

10 Beers posted:

I bought Fable 3 over the XBox Black Friday deal, and it's good! I'm having a lot of fun with it just....c'mon, give me a jump button!

Just wait until it disappoints you completely. Much like your children will.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Afriscipio posted:

Just wait until it disappoints you completely. Much like your children will.

Hey, it has good parts, like charming an entire town by flexing until they're all nearby, setting everyone on fire over and over and over until the property values crater, buying the entire town, then going to another town and flexing until people like you again.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

StrixNebulosa posted:

My hands-down favorite thing about Titan Quest is the complete lack of fiddling to get it running. No compatibility modes, no weird hacks or patches, just booting up and telling the option screen I want widescreen windowed mode with a zoomed in hud - and then I could play.

I know GOG used to do this for old games and now they don't, but that's the biggest barrier between me and a round of, say, Doom: gotta fiddle with it.

e: X-COM is a better example. Even once you have the special launcher and it's set up, welcome to micro-management hell. No, the buttons aren't labeled.

It might be a fundamentally better game than XCOM, but ye gods the work to get there and enjoy it, from technical stuff to actually playing.

I love the idea of playing the original X-com but all those menus and things to click and manage.....i'd have a breakdown in 5 minutes.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has there ever been a game with side-quests as grueling as FFX?

"Win this giant chicken race with zero time on the clock."

"Try catching all these tiny butterflies on the clock."

"Grind through dozens of water football matches to earn a prize, randomly."

"Try dodging lightning strikes, 200 consecutive times."

The side-quests are weirdly paced as well. 90 percent of the side content only becomes available when you're 90 percent done with the story.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Morrowind is borderline impossible for me to play because the quest log uses about a pt.8 font and attempts to change the text size just push words off the screen. The same poo poo happens with System Shock 2 and to some extent, The Witcher. I'm playing on a big TV like 12 feet away and I understand that kind of thing was very rare when those games were released on PC but I don't want to literally stand up and walk across the room just to read the quest log or read an item description.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im pooping! posted:

Morrowind is borderline impossible for me to play because the quest log uses about a pt.8 font and attempts to change the text size just push words off the screen. The same poo poo happens with System Shock 2 and to some extent, The Witcher. I'm playing on a big TV like 12 feet away and I understand that kind of thing was very rare when those games were released on PC but I don't want to literally stand up and walk across the room just to read the quest log or read an item description.
There's a mod for that!

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Yeah that mod specifically says it does NOT change the font size, whereas my problem is caused by the small font size.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

XCOM 2: Not a Nazi German Lady scientist creates various 'kings', who get to have special mechanics. What kind of special mechanics? Getting a move after every move you make :suicide:. I've been thinking about an Ironman playthrough and that sort of gently caress you from the developer makes the thought profoundly unappealing.I somehow managed to survive a mission where the severely wounded Viper King decided to show up, but only because I bought the Ion Axe.

A Festivus Miracle has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Nov 29, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im pooping! posted:

Yeah that mod specifically says it does NOT change the font size, whereas my problem is caused by the small font size.
oh I linked to the wrong mod lol

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42420/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The side-quests are weirdly paced as well. 90 percent of the side content only becomes available when you're 90 percent done with the story.

Yep, that's pretty much JRPGs in a nutshell.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has there ever been a game with side-quests as grueling as FFX?

"Win this giant chicken race with zero time on the clock."

"Try catching all these tiny butterflies on the clock."

"Grind through dozens of water football matches to earn a prize, randomly."

"Try dodging lightning strikes, 200 consecutive times."

i almost went insane getting 0.0 on that chocobo race. i never even bothered with butterfly catching and i just made a doll so that i could cast ultima for like 2 mp and doublecasted it whenever i could.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Nier had more insane side quests but to be fair, that was kind of the point.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

A White Guy posted:

XCOM 2: Not a Nazi German Lady scientist creates various 'kings', who get to have special mechanics. What kind of special mechanics? Getting a move after every move you make :suicide:. I've been thinking about an Ironman playthrough and that sort of gently caress you from the developer makes the thought profoundly unappealing.I somehow managed to survive a mission where the severely wounded Viper King decided to show up, but only because I bought the Ion Axe.

At the very least, you can apparently just indefinitely delay going to the initial mission, which prevents them from showing up elsewhere until you're ready. That said, it's pretty dumb that the ice grenade pretty much singularly exists to counter that mechanic.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Swimmer Shelby:

"Where do I keep these poke balls in a bikini?"

"My favorite bikini makes Pokémon happy, too!"

God drat it, Japan! These are children, in a child's game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
FF15 is great but it makes the cardinal sin of not giving you infinite sprinting stamina outside of combat, which is an issue so easy to fix that I thought I would never see it again after Dragon's Dogma.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
In Rise of the Tomb Raider, there is a constant clinking sound whenever you run. I guess it's supposed to be your pick axes clinking? It's annoying as hell, especially with headphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1JIrevyUlc

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
ellie stop getting in my way

ELLIE THERE'S A CLICKER CHASING ME GET OUT OF THE

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I really don't like it when RPGs have fights that you're supposed to lose. I can never tell if I'm underleveled or if I'm supposed to lose so I either waste a huge number of items trying to win an un-winnable fight or I lose the fight on purpose and get a game over.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

moosecow333 posted:

I really don't like it when RPGs have fights that you're supposed to lose. I can never tell if I'm underleveled or if I'm supposed to lose so I either waste a huge number of items trying to win an un-winnable fight or I lose the fight on purpose and get a game over.

The well-implemented ones combine "you can't run," "you do like 1% damage," "they kill like 1d4 party members per turn" and "your party don't shut up when normally combat is silent." Lose two of those and I get nervous.

But I call hard bullshit on any game where there's a fight we're supposed to lose but only after trying for like five fuckin' depressing minutes. What's the goddamn difference between a beatdown and a slightly longer beatdown, huh?

Somfin has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Nov 30, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's even worse when, as far as you can tell, you're winning only the fight goes on and on as the enemy refuses to drop and finally you figure out "oh, in supposed to lose this" and have to throw the fight.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What about the Beatrix fights in FF9. If you stay alive she'll knock your entire party to 1 HP and ends the fight in you losing. You cannot win. If you throw the battle you get a game over. Also she usually has good items to steal before she ends the fight and the less said about the stealing rate in FF9 the better.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I can see why they do it, but I kind of hate when a game has a fight that you can win but the game will carry on even if you lose, because if you're at a level where you might just about be able to beat it, you'll either finish the fight victorious but having used up all your resources or you'll lose and have just wasted a bunch of stuff. Either way you're usually better off to just reload a save and get yourself beaten as quickly as possible.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

But I call hard bullshit on any game where there's a fight we're supposed to lose but only after trying for like five fuckin' depressing minutes. What's the goddamn difference between a beatdown and a slightly longer beatdown, huh?

Dragon Age: Origins has just such a fight...that you can actually win.

The fight with Ser Cauthrien and co. during the Landsmeet will end in seconds for your average player but if you're experienced and can get your positioning down right you can wail on Cauthrien for 10 minutes until she's actually dead. The game totally gives you credit for this and skips a tedious prison sequence and just lets you advance the story immediately.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Chrono Trigger did it best.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I always liked how Lufia did it. In the prologue, you fight and kill the four Final Bosses with four endgame characters, then timeskip forward, now you're a solo L1 JRPG protagonist. SURPRISE! Endgame boss is back! You get like 8 turns before the boss goes, hitting him for double-digit damage, then WHAMMO you take 4 digits of damage (on your two-digit health total). No mistake about that fight being unwinnable.

I always wonder how games treat 'winning' fights like these. Do they lock up? Ignore it and pretend you lost? Recognize and congratulate you? Dump you into random memory holes? Every game is different, and its exciting to my broken brain.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I remember Tales of Symphonia had two "unwinnable" fights back to back. The first one was actually winnable but pretty drat hard, but you did get a prize for doing so and some different dialogue. Then the second one is iirc actually completely unwinnable even with NG+ rules active; if you actually make headway he just hits the you lose button and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tiggum posted:

I can see why they do it, but I kind of hate when a game has a fight that you can win but the game will carry on even if you lose, because if you're at a level where you might just about be able to beat it, you'll either finish the fight victorious but having used up all your resources or you'll lose and have just wasted a bunch of stuff. Either way you're usually better off to just reload a save and get yourself beaten as quickly as possible.

Agreed, and on the opposite end of things, I think it's the Lufia series where with some luck and grinding you can beat the 'unwinnable' battle against Sinistrals early on where they're supposed to just be showing off how strong they are, and they drop hilariously overpowered equipment. :allears: I wish more games did that. Plotwise they just go "ah gently caress" and leave like the plot needs them to, but the game still acknowledges you did something awesome.