Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

cargohills posted:

that's not what canon refers to

Is canon not a body of interconnected works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don't get why people latch so hard onto the whole "The Empire is racist" thing. That itself was a product of the EU. The only instance of imperial racism I can recall is the supervising officer of Cell Block 1138 calling Chewie "a thing". I guess the other possible sign is that there are no obvious non human imperials on screen? But that is true for the Rebellion too for the first two movies and even much of RotJ (Han's commando team is all human men for example).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't get why people latch so hard onto the whole "The Empire is racist" thing. That itself was a product of the EU. The only instance of imperial racism I can recall is the supervising officer of Cell Block 1138 calling Chewie "a thing". I guess the other possible sign is that there are no obvious non human imperials on screen? But that is true for the Rebellion too for the first two movies and even much of RotJ (Han's commando team is all human men for example).

The enslavement of the wookies, human high culture, the fact they are clearly Nazis...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't remember wookie enslavement being mentioned in the movies. Chewie is the only wookie in the OT. Were they carting them away in cages at the end of RotS? I genuinely don't remember.

The culture thing is there but the new Tarkin novel portrays/interprets it as more of a "Posh Core Worlders vs frontiersmen" angle. So it doesn't have to automatically mean racism.

As for the Nazi comparison that's always an easy (and often stylish) visual shorthand for "these guys are evil" bit it doesn't have to automatically mean they're racist. Especially after they've already shown off their genocidal side by blowing up an entire populated planet. A planet which was, using Leia and her crew if Alderanneans as our only examples, probably mostly humans.

I just don't get why people dislike the concept of alien imperials so much. Hell if you want to stick to the Nazi analogues he's Vichy French.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 29, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't remember wookie enslavement being mentioned in the movies. Chewie is the only wookie in the OT. Were they carting them away in cages at the end of RotS? I genuinely don't remember.

The culture thing is there but the new Tarkin novel portrays/interprets it as more of a "Posh Core Worlders vs frontiersmen" angle. So it doesn't have to automatically mean racism.

As for the Nazi comparison that's always an easy (and often stylish) visual shorthand for "these guys are evil" bit it doesn't have to automatically mean they're racist. Especially after they've already shown off their genocidal side by blowing up an entire populated planet.

I just don't get why people dislike the concept of alien imperials so much. Hell if you want to stick to the Nazi analogues he's Vichy French.

Don't Luke and Han put Chewie in chains and pretend he's an escaped slave on the death star? I could be misremembering.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No they tell the officer he is a "prisoner transfer" from another cell block.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's the Geonosian genocide, but that was more a case of the King killing all the engineers who built the secret tunnels in his palace, since they were the ones who designed and built all of the early Deathstar prototypes, in those big orbital gantries.

Take the EU direct references out, and I think the 'racist empire' is more an unintended function of not enough budget for costumes, and writers creating homogeneous planet populations the same way they've made every planet a single biome.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
They are clearly Nazis and the only non-humans you see on Imperial ships are prisoners or garbage-monsters. Not to get all SMG, but in Star Wars aliens are always seedy. You've got the multiracial cantina (A wretched hive of scum and villainy) and the Jawas (trash gypsies). But by RoTJ you've got a multiracial rebellion going against the (still exclusively human, still Nazi) Empire. It's pretty obvious. Especially if you look at a lot of the pulp and noir sources that Lucas likes to borrow from.

I agree "Nazi" is used as a shorthand for "evil" but why are Nazis evil? It's not like Hollywood has a problem with rampant militarism, so it can't be that.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Shbobdb posted:

Ignore me like the whiny baby that I am.

Can do, sir!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It was common playground knowledge in the mid-to-late '80s. It had to come from somewhere. I'm guessing the toy packages or trading cards. Or kids figured it out because Nazis are racist.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Shbobdb posted:

It was common playground knowledge in the mid-to-late '80s. It had to come from somewhere. I'm guessing the toy packages or trading cards. Or kids figured it out because Nazis are racist.

It probably started in the tabletop and was picked up in the rest of the EU after that.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It probably started in the tabletop and was picked up in the rest of the EU after that.

Even at the height of tabletop gaming it was a pretty small audience. I suppose all it takes is one nerdy older brother for the whole playground to know.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Tbf it is new canon. Wasn't the pilot for this show them rescuing wookiee slaves from Kessel?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah but the criticism is that the new canon is hobbling itself by crimping from the old EU.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

What would be the actual detriment for making the Empire racist? God forbid the Space Nazis have backwards ideas about species supremacy.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

On a topic not related to how the canon is apparently bad, I thought the new episode was pretty fun. Hondo was great as usual,and we even got to see Alan Rickman-Bot again.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

bunnyofdoom posted:

Tbf it is new canon. Wasn't the pilot for this show them rescuing wookiee slaves from Kessel?

New canon is still canon and is still a loving toxic idea.

No gods, no masters.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
But how do you resolve disagreements over backstory, when those backstories are used to create context and motivation for characters in other works? Without a system of canon you don't have a coherent universe and you end up with the ridiculous poo poo you see in comics.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

New canon is still canon and is still a loving toxic idea.

No gods, no masters.

I'd like to shoot you out of a canon

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But how do you resolve disagreements over backstory, when those backstories are used to create context and motivation for characters in other works? Without a system of canon you don't have a coherent universe and you end up with the ridiculous poo poo you see in comics.

No see those are just constraints the dullards use to keep the creative souls down, man.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You mean you end up with a fun, imagination-positive universe where people can choose which and what aspects they like?

Traveling poets would always make small changes to the narrative, incorporating local heroes and locations. The stories were the same but who precisely did what would change. Who cares?

I don't care if Campbellian archetype Han Solo was a bed wetter as a child unless his uncontrolled bladder is Chekhov's Gun and does something cool later in that story. In another story where Campbellian archetype Han Solo is doing something different, why should I care about a specific aspect designed to teach a certain lesson and solve a certain problem?

I hate to break it to you but Han Solo isn't real. He's not a real person. His context and motivations can change while still being the same person.

Look at Odysseus.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

This isn't a single writer changing his own story, nor is it a single tale being rewritten with minor changes by new authors across several centuries of evolution, your examples are nonsensical.

Canon comes from religion, where a committee of Rabbis or Priests determined which texts were authoritative and which were not, in order to maintain internal consistency across multiple authors.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 30, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

This isn't a single writer changing his own story, nor is it a single tale being rewritten with minor changes by new authors across several centuries of evolution, your examples are nonsensical.

Canon comes from religion, where a committee of Rabbis or Priests determined which texts were authoritative and which were not, in order to maintain internal consistency across multiple authors.

Yeah and that's a dumb as gently caress concept to apply to popular fiction.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah and that's a dumb as gently caress concept to apply to popular fiction.

No, it's not.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
What's wrong with internal consistency?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

No, it's not.

Why do you like it? What does it provide?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shbobdb posted:

Why do you like it? What does it provide?

Continuity

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What's wrong with internal consistency?

Because it shrinks the universe. There is a reason why every Star Wars character ends up hanging out with every other Star Wars character. It's a normal part of lovely genre fiction because turbonerds love canon.

Nebbish nerds joined the clergy so the clergy became a system that appealed to nebbish bookworms. Recreating that system in the modern world is stupid dumb.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

Continuity

Why is that good? What's the appeal?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shbobdb posted:

Why is that good? What's the appeal?

Clearly it doesn't appeal to you, and it never will, so there's little point in trying to explain why I like a thing and you don't like.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

Clearly it doesn't appeal to you, and it never will, so there's little point in trying to explain why I like a thing and you don't like.

Weak. Either have opinions or don't.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ahaha, I've heard of nerds arguing over canon, but I've never heard of nerds arguing against the very concept of canon.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

What better place for an argument like that than a Star Wars thread

Shbobdb posted:

Weak. Either have opinions or don't.

I completely understand the red text now

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 30, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Shbobdb posted:

Because it shrinks the universe. There is a reason why every Star Wars character ends up hanging out with every other Star Wars character. It's a normal part of lovely genre fiction because turbonerds love canon.

Nebbish nerds joined the clergy so the clergy became a system that appealed to nebbish bookworms. Recreating that system in the modern world is stupid dumb.

C3PO is Anakin's droid and R2D2 served on Amidala's ship. The universe is the size of a thimble in the movies and the EU. It's hardly a problem of canon.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

C3PO is Anakin's droid and R2D2 served on Amidala's ship. The universe is the size of a thimble in the movies and the EU. It's hardly a problem of canon.

The prequels don't count. Nobody likes the prequels. One of the things I like about Rebels, The Force Awakens and (seemingly) Rogue One is that the Prequels basically don't exist.

Clone Wars exists for Rebels but Clone Wars is fine (though it too is a hodge-podge of things worth loving and things worth ignoring).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

What better place for an argument like that than a Star Wars thread

I completely understand the red text now

I like the edits. Little baby need a binky?

It's almost Life Day. I'm sure we could chip in and get you one as a goon project.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shbobdb posted:

The prequels don't count. Nobody likes the prequels. One of the things I like about Rebels, The Force Awakens and (seemingly) Rogue One is that the Prequels basically don't exist.

Clone Wars exists for Rebels but Clone Wars is fine (though it too is a hodge-podge of things worth loving and things worth ignoring).

So really what you're saying is you do like canon, you just only like your own head canon, not anything by anyone else, righto

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

So really what you're saying is you do like canon, you just only like your own head canon, not anything by anyone else, righto

LOL. Swing and a miss.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Shbobdb posted:

LOL. Swing and a miss.

Just gently caress off already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Sorry I'm ruining your EU fanwank party.

Who is the canonical Falstaff?

Why do prequels always suck?

What is Buddha nature?

These questions all have the same answer.

• Locked thread