Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
On a another note, I just read Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania for the first time in Arcanum Unbounded and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've always done the audio books for Wax and Wayne and thought the shorts from the newspaper fell flat due to the format, but the annotations from his Terris servant absolutely made the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Benson Cunningham posted:

I think the issue with YA is that it's only written at two levels these days- ages 7-10 (Goosebumps) or ages 11-13 (Sanderson, Red Rising, Hunger Games).

If you're 14+, you either need to have the vocabulary to understand fiction aimed at adults (while generally lacking the emotional wherewithal to process it) or read below your level, further hampering your ability to develop said emotional processing capacity.

The more difficult option, struggling to understand what you're reading and working harder when easier books are available, is not really encouraged outside of good parents or elite schooling.

End baby rant.

I think at 14+ you just read genre fiction which is written for 20+ with the emotional maturity of 14+ and so you're still fine...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Well as cool that it is that you could apparently read The Hobbit or Hyperion at age 7, I couldn't, and I don't think that most people, even able to read the words, could understand the complete meaning behind them.

What? We read the hobbit for class in 4th grade dude.

flosofl posted:

LOL, if weren't already writing novels for adults at that age.

(stdh.txt thread is here)

He was talking about age 15, not 7.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Hughlander posted:

I think at 14+ you just read genre fiction which is written for 20+ with the emotional maturity of 14+ and so you're still fine...

I mean..... you aren't wrong :(

PerrineClostermann posted:

What? We read the hobbit for class in 4th grade dude.

And do you think you got more than a surface level understanding of anything that happened? Or were you like, HAHA TROLL STATUES AND DWARVES IN BARRELS

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The hobbit was basically meant to be a kids book so that isn't surprising.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I mean..... you aren't wrong :(

And do you think you got more than a surface level understanding of anything that happened? Or were you like, HAHA TROLL STATUES AND DWARVES IN BARRELS

I read the children's book and enjoyed it. I can't remember what sorts of discussions we had on it.

Are you conflating reading with literary analysis? Because that would certainly explain everyone's reactions to reading books at x age. You can read poo poo just to enjoy it.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
I started reading Harry Potter at 10 and was binging my sister's Stephen King collection at 14...

I admit the understanding wasn't deep, but the entertainment and immersion and investment was true. And that's what counts.

The problem with today's YA, imho, is they are too shallow and recipe based.
"oh hey, have a trait less girl... Add some supernatural hot guy... Another one for a triangle... Useless gripes until marriage with the first guy! "
" uuh... Dystopia, check. Lost loved one, check. Competition between teens, check "

Oh, and never forget that (completely stupid and shallow) first person narration that feels like your BFF is telling you about that vacation while at MacDs....

YAs are used to it. It is easy. Why look for better and harder (and faster and stronger)?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

NeruVolpi posted:

The problem with today's YA, imho, is they are too shallow and recipe based.

This has been basically every YA ever though???

I mean, there would be a few standouts, but for the most part all young adult fiction is pretty rote.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

berenzen posted:

This has been basically every YA ever though???

I mean, there would be a few standouts, but for the most part all young adult fiction is pretty rote.

Narnia, The Hobbit, Lloyd Alexander?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Are three series of novels that have managed to survive unto this day. But for each hobbit/narnia/ Prydain, there's gonna be a bunch of tripe. The whole idea of the 'old days' argument is that literally only the best media is actually going to survive through the ages. There is going to be a bunch of rote books that are alongside it, and from cursory research, there is.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
90% of everything is garbage.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Edgedancer was rather enjoyable, but I think Lift will best remain a character with limited roles. She's entertaining in small doses, but if given a larger spot I think she'd get intolerable cringeworthy.

I was mostly impressed by how quickly the plot with Darkness progressed! In most fantasy series I would have expected him to remain a static villian more a couple books at least. I was was also thinking he was legitimately evil/insane, and would have Szeth doing his evil bidding for several books at least. I was pleasantly surprised that he stuck to Sanderson's favorite formula of the flawed but ultimately well-intentioned extremist. Despite the evil things he was doing, he ultimately was trying to save the world from catastrophe, and he is not entirely to blame for the extremist sense of justice/madness that has taken over him over the centuries. Also, it appears that the Skybreakers really were a true Radiant order, not a fake branch of executioners in Odium's hypocritical service. Szeth in particular was surprising in this book! I expected him to continue his crazy murder spree with Nightblood under Nale's orders, but he seems have already become a very pensive character on a path to redemption. Alas, this will bring endless angst to poor Kaladin, who will undoubtedly be faced with a future decision requiring him to forgive Szeth or betray his Radiant oaths.

The chapter intros in Arcanum Unbound were of course pretty interesting if you're a Cosmere nerd we now know the shard Ambition was previously smacked around by Odium and the result is the messed up magic in Threnody. We also know there's a mysterious third empire on the Elantris planet, and that Dominion/Devotion's shard magic has become a jumbled mess in the Cognitive realm. It seems almost guaranteed that Autonomy from Taldain is the shard messing with the Mistborn planet (also Autonomy's holder is a woman, which is a bit of a surprise). The Roshar system is also pretty damned interesting all around structurally. Braize is inhabited entirely by spren/cognitive shadows, Ashyn is a burned wreck that still has some humans left on it, and there are 10 gas giants with the same names as the Heralds just kind of floating around

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I liked Edgedancer a lot, but I have to think about the implications in there a bit before writing more about it. But while I was looking in Words of Radiance, I stumbled upon this part which didn't register with me before:

quote:

"This act of great villainy went beyond the impudence which had hitherto been ascribed to the orders; as the fighting was particularly intense at the time, many attributed this act to a sense of inherent betrayal; and after they withdrew, about two thousand made assault upon them, destroying much of the membership; but this was only nine of the ten, as one said they would not abandon their arms and flee, but instead entertained great subterfuge at the expense of the other nine."

So one of the orders survived more or less intact?? Perhaps without spren to bind to, but the basic structure would have to be there! After reading Edgedancer, it could be the Skybreakers under Nalan. He already has three potential new Skybreakers under him. Or it's a diversion, since subterfuge doesn't really mesh with Nalan and his order's personality.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I liked Edgedancer a lot, but I have to think about the implications in there a bit before writing more about it. But while I was looking in Words of Radiance, I stumbled upon this part which didn't register with me before:

So one of the orders survived more or less intact?? Perhaps without spren to bind to, but the basic structure would have to be there! After reading Edgedancer, it could be the Skybreakers under Nalan. He already has three potential new Skybreakers under him. Or it's a diversion, since subterfuge doesn't really mesh with Nalan and his order's personality.

I'd guess it's referring to either the Dustbringers, since they were largely mistrusted so were probably pretty secretive in public, or the Lightweavers, since their whole thing is subterfuge. This might also explain how the church is able to soulcast

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

the huffing paint post posted:

I'd guess it's referring to either the Dustbringers, since they were largely mistrusted so were probably pretty secretive in public, or the Lightweavers, since their whole thing is subterfuge. This might also explain how the church is able to soulcast

I think I heard something on the 17th Shard that it could also have been the Stonewards, although I can't remember why.

I kinda doubt it is the Lightweavers as we get plenty of talk with Pattern and I think that would have revealed if there were other Lightweavers that still had bonds.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Pash posted:

I think I heard something on the 17th Shard that it could also have been the Stonewards, although I can't remember why.

I kinda doubt it is the Lightweavers as we get plenty of talk with Pattern and I think that would have revealed if there were other Lightweavers that still had bonds.

Szeth mentions a group called the Stone Shamans in his home country who keep watch over the Honorblades, the theory is that the Stone Shamans could have been the Stonewards in hiding.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Speculation but some light spoilers, just a thought I had after edgedancer Im starting to think Lift might be much older than she thinks. She's either immortal because it was part of her gift or her healing powers accidentally have locked her into being young forever. I suspect her gift was to be able to convert food into investiture at the cost of her memory and perception of time. Since she's the only surge binder to be able to do that her body is continually healing stunting growth, as long as she's not starving. Also one of her oaths is distinctly about remembering.

Somehow in Lifts mind she's crossed Roshar twice in only three years. Multiple things she's said and what Brandon has said bring that into question.

But conversely I'm now convinced that the night watcher is Cultivation. What better way to utilize your exceptional future sight among shardbearers than to 'cultivate' unique skills in people. Also wyndle calls himself a cultivation spren.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

But conversely I'm now convinced that the night watcher is Cultivation. What better way to utilize your exceptional future sight among shardbearers than to 'cultivate' unique skills in people. Also wyndle calls himself a cultivation spren.

I think she's like the cultivation version of the stormfather

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^ That would make the most sense at this point.

M_Gargantua posted:

Speculation but some light spoilers, just a thought I had after edgedancer I suspect her gift was to be able to convert food into investiture at the cost of her memory and perception of time

Nope. Being able to turn food in to stormlight isn't unique to Lift. Nalan even says that Stump can't create stormlight yet like Lift after he stabs Stump and leaves her to bleed out. He made it very clear that if her powers were further along she'd also have the conversion ability like Lift and not just the ability to heal (which she didn't realize she was doing, apparently).

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
There's also the thing Wyndle says that makes me believe Lift got her first period at the Palace and that freaked her out.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^ That would make the most sense at this point.

Nope. Being able to turn food in to stormlight isn't unique to Lift. Nalan even says that Stump can't create stormlight yet like Lift after he stabs Stump and leaves her to bleed out. He made it very clear that if her powers were further along she'd also have the conversion ability like Lift and not just the ability to heal (which she didn't realize she was doing, apparently).

No you read that completely wrong, Lift's stormlight creation powers are completely unique Nale just implies Stump hasn't advanced her bond far enough to heal herself unconsciously. That's why he wounded her with a normal weapon instead of shardblade, it was a way to force Lift to heal Stump, a shardblade would have just killed her flat out. All Edgedancers have the same ways they use Stormlight, but Lift is unique amongst any character in any world we've seen thus far in that she can make her own stormlight (she can also physically touch Wyndle and see Szeth's weird shadows, so the popular new theory is that Lift is somehow especially present in the Cognitive Realm). Wyndle continues to comment on it being a special ability in this book, and Nale was completely surprised by that ability in the previous interlude.

This is basically why Sylphrena "died" in the previous book. Kaladin regressed on his oaths and his bond with Syl weakened to the point that he shouldn't have been able to survive the fall into the chasm. He only survived because Syl exceeded what their bond allowed, giving him just enough stormlight to survive, and then temporarily died as a result.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
What's all this edgedancer talk? Is it out?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Yeah it's in AU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

RC Cola posted:

Yes, it's just a short story (for Sanderson) that's part of the Arcanum Unbound anthology.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Apparently Hoid made a cameo in edgedancer He's the guy who jumped headfirst into the monster's mouth in the flashback

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Speculation but some light spoilers, just a thought I had after edgedancer Im starting to think Lift might be much older than she thinks. She's either immortal because it was part of her gift or her healing powers accidentally have locked her into being young forever. I suspect her gift was to be able to convert food into investiture at the cost of her memory and perception of time. Since she's the only surge binder to be able to do that her body is continually healing stunting growth, as long as she's not starving. Also one of her oaths is distinctly about remembering.

Somehow in Lifts mind she's crossed Roshar twice in only three years. Multiple things she's said and what Brandon has said bring that into question.

Pretty sure it was heavily implied as being why she was traveling. The request of the night mother was to never change. She has to keep moving or people will learn her and change her. Never change could be centuries.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
How do I get this book

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
https://www.amazon.com/Arcanum-Unbounded-Collection-Brandon-Sanderson/dp/0765391163

Happy reading friend.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hughlander posted:

Pretty sure it was heavily implied as being why she was traveling. The request of the night mother was to never change. She has to keep moving or people will learn her and change her. Never change could be centuries.

Pretty interesting stuff! I wonder if this is related to this one researcher studying spren, who found out that flamespren stop changing in size once you've measured them. The very act of measuring locked in their size. Just idle speculation, but that was the first thing I thought of when I read your spoiler.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So BranSan actually mentions Asimov as one of his influences, how do his books compare to them?

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
So I'm listening to the mist born trilogy after reading it for the first time years ago and is it me or does the narrator make spook sound like Bob Dylan???

adebisi lives fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 6, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Tahirovic posted:

So BranSan actually mentions Asimov as one of his influences, how do his books compare to them?

Haahahahhaahahahhaha

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

Now that you mention it, I can kind of see some broad parallels, where Sanderson puts together a world and defines rules for it in order to see how it would function within those rules.

For the most part though:

Haahahahhaahahahhaha

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

He's got the same writing speed, and his good stuff is a hell of a lot better than Asimov's shittier stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

For all of Brandon's faults, you have to admit that he's done a hell of a job overcoming those. Everything about his work, including his prose, has gotten better over time. Demonstrably and rapidly, and without putting a substantial dent in the quantity of his work.

There's no comparison in quality between the first Mistborn book and the first Stormlight book. Stormlight is better in every way.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ConfusedUs posted:

For all of Brandon's faults, you have to admit that he's done a hell of a job overcoming those. Everything about his work, including his prose, has gotten better over time. Demonstrably and rapidly, and without putting a substantial dent in the quantity of his work.

There's no comparison in quality between the first Mistborn book and the first Stormlight book. Stormlight is better in every way.

Shallan's early chapters are pretty awful, but overall yeah.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It'll be interesting to see what brandon is churning out forty years from now, when his writing career is a comparable length to asimov's

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Tunicate posted:

It'll be interesting to see what brandon is churning out forty years from now, when his writing career is a comparable length to asimov's

God... given that hes written something like 20+ books in the first 10 years of being published by that time hes going to have releases like over 100 novels...

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

"@BrandSanderson posted:

That's a wrap, folks. Oathbringer is done at 461,223 words. Still much work to do, but we have a first draft. November 2017 release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Goodness. At this rate he may actually finish that series. I'm not sure I can process that feeling, given other examples in the industry.