Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Inge posted:

Not really. If you want to beat Neo with a FF7 team, you're going to want to use Yuffie / Caitsith for dances or Barret / Red for fullbreak and breakdowns, there's no way around it.

Fine, but it's still a silly assumption.

If you want to help someone don't demean them. Especially over a silly moble game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Finally got around to messing with multiplayer. This is a lot of fun, and way more tense than ult + battles have been in a long time.

Edit: I take it back what is this bullshit Ult+ raid

I think it's lots of fun when you have a group that's competent. But finding one is kind of a pain sometimes. I was cursing that dark dragon so bad, but when I finally went into a group that was good, it was a breeze and cool to do.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

LornMarkus posted:

Get you a full Mage/Ninja team and it'll be a breeze. I'd offer to help you myself but I'm heading off to work before long. Still I'd suggest posting a raid tag and drafting goons to lessen your frustration. That or start one yourself and just kick anyone who comes in without a Mage setup.

Kawalimus posted:

I think it's lots of fun when you have a group that's competent. But finding one is kind of a pain sometimes. I was cursing that dark dragon so bad, but when I finally went into a group that was good, it was a breeze and cool to do.

Just had a *really* unlucky run my first go at Dark Dragon (someone's Tyro was ganked before sentinel's grimoire could proc, and I foolishly didn't trigger Aeris' White Materia immediately.) Managed to take it down though, and it was a lot of fun when we didn't get cheaped out turn one :toot:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Why do people get weirdly salty about the game in this thread :confused: It's assumed that people struggling with +++/ult tier fights are just getting into the deeper mechanics of the game, and the necessity of full break and/or multi break (and stacking breaks in general) aren't necessarily apparent if it hasn't been explained to you. In most FF games they're a nice-to-have but in RK they're absolutely necessary, so you can't assume someone will just know to make some of the most expensive skills in the game, especially a newer player with fewer major orbs.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Munoma posted:

Fine, but it's still a silly assumption.

If you want to help someone don't demean them. Especially over a silly moble game.

Sorry mate, you misinterpreted, that wasn't the intention. You didn't say for certain whether or not you had full break, your listed party didn't have anyone who could use it, so I made the assumption that you didn't.

Neo should be doable for you in any case, but you might have to forego the FF7 crew.
The trick to getting through the flares is strict DPS - the energy ball needs about 35k HP IN three turns, so you'll need hard hitting soul breaks.

I recommend RWing a Shout in this case, you'll need to bring protectga, shellga and your breaks / dances as well to reduce incoming damage. Retaliate + draw fire on a character like Gilgamesh can nullify all the single target attacks from the creepers, which is good because they can proc stun, which will chew up a turn on whoever it lands on.

Do you have any heavy hitters outside of FF7?

Inge fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 30, 2016

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Elephant Ambush posted:

You are Literally The Best. This worked perfectly on my first try. So many motes!

Happy to help.

I'll probably leave it up until the mote dungeon closes for anyone else who needs help with that one.

In other news, gently caress Doga and Unei. Goddamn assholes and their stupid-rear end spells that hit for huge damage even with magic breakdown and shell up and pierce reflect. :argh:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Revenge ults done. Cagnazzo's early RNG stuff was a pain, but after that it was a matter of stacking mitigation (Magic Breakdown, Full Break, Sea Lord's Broadside, and Shellga) and tanking the counter stops and triple waterga attacks by runic tanking with Celes. Also had OK throwing up regular BSBs to keep haste up.

...yeah, the power creep in this game is ridiculous. It's weird going from having these be impossible fights to having them be not too bad.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Wave 3 of the MC3 unlocks arrives tomorrow.

Garland +30% dark damage
Leon +13% ATK, DEF with heavy armor equipped
Kain +35% jump damage
Krile +15% MAG with whip equipped
Sabin +40% monk damage
Zack +10% ATK, DEF, and haste
Zell +30% damage with fist equipped
Beatrix 24% chance for attack command to become Saint Cross
Auron +40% samurai damage
Balthier +30% damage with gun equipped
Hope +15% MAG with thrown equipped
Thancred +13% ATK, DEF with dagger equipped
Delita +20% DEF, RES with sword equipped

Not the most interesting group, but a couple decent ones.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Do you ever start accumulating MC3s faster/more easily? I missed the first few because I was too scared/lazy to finish the Ultimates and whereas I have 100% of every MC1 and MC2 they're releasing 3s faster than I'm getting them by far.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Inge posted:

Sorry mate, you misinterpreted, that wasn't the intention. You didn't say for certain whether or not you had full break, your listed party didn't have anyone who could use it, so I made the assumption that you didn't.

Neo should be doable for you in any case, but you might have to forego the FF7 crew.
The trick to getting through the flares is strict DPS - the energy ball needs about 35k HP IN three turns, so you'll need hard hitting soul breaks.

I recommend RWing a Shout in this case, you'll need to bring protectga, shellga and your breaks / dances as well to reduce incoming damage. Retaliate + draw fire on a character like Gilgamesh can nullify all the single target attacks from the creepers, which is good because they can proc stun, which will chew up a turn on whoever it lands on.

Do you have any heavy hitters outside of FF7?

Gilgamesh with a BSB, I just got Balthier's BSB, Auron's BSB.

*Well I think Auron is a bit squishy but he does hit hard*

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Do you ever start accumulating MC3s faster/more easily? I missed the first few because I was too scared/lazy to finish the Ultimates and whereas I have 100% of every MC1 and MC2 they're releasing 3s faster than I'm getting them by far.

You don't, you'll always be behind. That said at some point you're going to run out of characters you actually care about, so you're just breaking guys for RMs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

KnoxZone posted:

Wave 3 of the MC3 unlocks arrives tomorrow.

Garland +30% dark damage
Leon +13% ATK, DEF with heavy armor equipped
Kain +35% jump damage
Krile +15% MAG with whip equipped
Sabin +40% monk damage
Zack +10% ATK, DEF, and haste
Zell +30% damage with fist equipped
Beatrix 24% chance for attack command to become Saint Cross
Auron +40% samurai damage
Balthier +30% damage with gun equipped
Hope +15% MAG with thrown equipped
Thancred +13% ATK, DEF with dagger equipped
Delita +20% DEF, RES with sword equipped

Not the most interesting group, but a couple decent ones.

:eyepop:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Frankly I'm just happy she's on there period, cause I got her BSB and she is my A-Team.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Munoma posted:

Gilgamesh with a BSB, I just got Balthier's BSB, Auron's BSB.

*Well I think Auron is a bit squishy but he does hit hard*

Gilgamesh BSB will let you taunt / retaliate without having to bring either skill so it's definitely a good pick.

Auron offers retaliate in his BSB (Command 1), so you could bring draw fire on him and use that in much the same way, the advantage with Auron being he has an AoE attack in his BSB.

Balthier has a single target four hit fire nuke, which will be good for clearing creepers.

So I would bring either Gilgamesh or Auron packing fire blossom if you have it, Balthier with lifesiphon, and a dedicated healer (probably rosa with divine heal) with your best healing spell and shellga. Magic blink will really help mitigate damage

Bring a support, a dancer to spam multi break and heathen frolic sarabande, which will drop magic damage by 35%.

Fifth slot, someone who can bring protectga and some kind of damage - cecil, tyro or beatrix, someone like that. Cecils default soul break is quite good, giving a 30% boost to resistance and defence iirc.

RW shout for haste and extra damage.

Probably needs some tweaking but a party like this would give you a pretty good shot

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Inge posted:

Gilgamesh BSB will let you taunt / retaliate without having to bring either skill so it's definitely a good pick.

Auron offers retaliate in his BSB (Command 1), so you could bring draw fire on him and use that in much the same way, the advantage with Auron being he has an AoE attack in his BSB.

Balthier has a single target four hit fire nuke, which will be good for clearing creepers.

So I would bring either Gilgamesh or Auron with at least one packing fire blossom, Balthier, and a dedicated healer (probably rosa with divine heal) with your best healing spell and shellga. Magic blink will really help mitigate damage

Bring a support, a dancer to spam multi break and heathen frolic sarabande, which will drop magic damage by 35%.

Fifth slot, someone who can bring protectga and some kind of damage - cecil, tyro or beatrix, someone like that. Cecils default soul break is quite good, giving a 30% boost to resistance and defence iirc.

RW shout for haste and extra damage.

Probably needs some tweaking but a party like this would give you a pretty good shot

I'll test this now and post results.

*edit*

I do need help with something though, if you have a party of less than five characters do they gain more exp or is it the same?

Munoma fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 30, 2016

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
Good luck!

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
Yep, exp is divided amongst living party members. So a party of one will receive the entire load.

You have Sephiroth levelled, so you'll have the Loner record materia. Take that on a solo fighter and you get +50% def and attack, really useful if you need to grind up a physical character in Exp dungeons

Inge fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 30, 2016

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Inge posted:

Yep, exp is divided amongst living party members. So a party of one will receive the entire load

Perfect, I can auto tank the exp dungeon with Arc and Onion Knight.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

It's not worth using in any fight that matters because you're going to be using skills and not basic attacks. :shrug:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
yeah i just don't count on chance for anything because youll get screwed more often than not

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
The big winners there are Kains and Sabins. +35% dragoon probably only with lightning dive though, dragoon dive tends to cap

Does Refias burst count as monk?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Inge posted:

The big winners there are Kains and Sabins. +35% dragoon probably only with lightning dive though, dragoon dive tends to cap

Does Refias burst count as monk?
It does!

For reference, OK's BSB actions count as celerity and black magic.

e: Ughhhh it's such a shame OK can't use Stitch in Time, he's one of two people who could actually use it.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 30, 2016

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Inge posted:

Good luck!

Done and over with for now.

I only got expert but here's a short breakdown of my strategy.

Gilgamesh with Organics. Mastered Gilgamesh Morphing Time. Ace Striker
Rosa with Aurora Rod and Precious Watch. Master In White
Penelo *Had to give her scraps due to my lack of relics*
Cid with Pole Axe. Battleforged.
Vincent with Betelguese Magic and Power Breakdown. Secrets of the Qu.

Popped Shout and went ham, whenever he charged flare I had Cid and Gilgamesh pop Soul Breaks and on slowtime Gilgamesh smacked away with Fire Blossom.

Only killed six creepers which is why I didn't get mastery. But that's fine, now I know how to fight him.

*edit*

argh, obviously had Penelo slam Multi Break when my party was healed.

Anyway I've discovered that I have one armor in the III universe so now I'm soloing Onion Knight in the exp dungeon.

Munoma fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 30, 2016

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's not worth using in any fight that matters because you're going to be using skills and not basic attacks. :shrug:

I use basic attacks to stretch out my R2 5 star skills

Granted, I'd rather have a reliable damage or SB Gauge RM.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

That Beatrix RM is cool even though it's not actually that good. Will be funny for autoattacking through dailies though, since she's already on my A-Team and I planned on getting her to 99 eventually anyway.

edit: Honestly they could have probably made it 50% chance and it would still be mostly unusable.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 30, 2016

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I use basic attacks to stretch out my R2 5 star skills

Granted, I'd rather have a reliable damage or SB Gauge RM.

Spare one or two situations *If I have read this right* I don't see much use for a full soul break charge Record Materia.

I think it's dumb and gimmicky.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'll probably go for Balthier on this MCIII since I have a fully augmented 8* Aldebaran. Even more damage out of that thing is pretty sweet.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Tomorrow's gonna be the day when I stop running the Enigma dungeon for a little bit and wrap up all the event content that's showed up. So in order of priority, I guess it'd be Onion Knight Ultimates, Raid stuff, and Rematch Dungeons. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

Also Auron's proven his worth so he's getting an MC3 along with Beatrix once the batch drops. Looking forward to my A-Team always having 3/5 characters be in the high 90s.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Alxprit posted:

Also Auron's proven his worth so he's getting an MC3 along with Beatrix once the batch drops. Looking forward to my A-Team always having 3/5 characters be in the high 90s.

I almost hate him but he really hits hard, it's just if he doesn't have a relic armor he falls harder than a broken slinky down a flight of stairs. If I didn't have his BSB I'd consider using Jecht in his place.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Munoma posted:

Spare one or two situations *If I have read this right* I don't see much use for a full soul break charge Record Materia.

I think it's dumb and gimmicky.

Yeah, I think you are reading it wrong. The two "Start dungeon with a Soul Break ready" record materias (Mako Might from Cloud, and Mog's Teachings from Tyro) are very strong contendesr for the two best record materia in the game. In my opinion, nothing comes even close.

They're a huge deal for more supportive and defensive soul breaks, things like Sentinel Grimoire or Shout. You want your buffs and defenses up now. not in five turns when that Ult+ boss has already killed you. Other good uses are things like having your white mage have their healing soul break ready to go to recover from early AoE, before you can apply buffs and debuffs. Or when you absolutely want your BSB-user to start the fight using their burst commands, rather than hones.

You rarely want them on your DPS, but as a supporting or buffing record materia, they are peerless.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Attestant posted:

Yeah, I think you are reading it wrong. The two "Start dungeon with a Soul Break ready" record materias (Mako Might from Cloud, and Mog's Teachings from Tyro) are very strong contendesr for the two best record materia in the game. In my opinion, nothing comes even close.

They're a huge deal for more supportive and defensive soul breaks, things like Sentinel Grimoire or Shout. You want your buffs and defenses up now. not in five turns when that Ult+ boss has already killed you. Other good uses are things like having your white mage have their healing soul break ready to go to recover from early AoE, before you can apply buffs and debuffs. Or when you absolutely want your BSB-user to start the fight using their burst commands, rather than hones.

You rarely want them on your DPS, but as a supporting or buffing record materia, they are peerless.

That makes much more sense to me. Thank you for clarifying.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Munoma posted:

That makes much more sense to me. Thank you for clarifying.

I kinda wish I had a third one by now, because I finally got a couple of BSB's during the fest. I often want my White Mage running one, my designated party Atk or Mag buffer to have it, and now I'd also want something like Vaan or Noel BSB starting right away. :v:

But I think DeNa realized how bonkers they are, and stopped making more of the effect. Afaik, not even JP has a third one yet. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Attestant posted:

I kinda wish I had a third one by now, because I finally got a couple of BSB's during the fest. I often want my White Mage running one, my designated party Atk or Mag buffer to have it, and now I'd also want something like Vaan or Noel BSB starting right away. :v:

But I think DeNa realized how bonkers they are, and stopped making more of the effect. Afaik, not even JP has a third one yet. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

This is why I use my Ace Striker Lifesiphon combo though. The way I look at it is this. If I can't last five to seven rounds without soul breaks then I shouldn't attempt the dungeon.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
That's definitely a mindset you want to shake off. Mostly since a lot of ultimate bosses frontload their damage right at the start. The revenge dungeon versions of Cagnazzo and Caius are pretty good examples, both starting the fight with a flurry of strong single target attacks. Without a layer of buffs and debuffs, nobody will survive those for five turns.

And this is where the Instant SB record materia shine, since with them you can immediately queue up important buffs, and get to a lot more manageable situation faster.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Inge posted:

Yep, exp is divided amongst living party members. So a party of one will receive the entire load.

You have Sephiroth levelled, so you'll have the Loner record materia. Take that on a solo fighter and you get +50% def and attack, really useful if you need to grind up a physical character in Exp dungeons

Sooooooo is this a good way to get OK from 90 to 99 super quick?

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Munoma posted:

Done and over with for now.

I only got expert but here's a short breakdown of my strategy.

Awesome :)

You got the goggles and the power orbs which is the main take away. You should be able to master it though if you can spare the stamina!

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

If you got the abilities to comfortably solo it, or take a burst RW, I'd use a double XP materia instead.

At 90 with record synergy, I think OK has better stats than anyone else. Using loner is more applicable from around levels 50-70 for solo runs, for non-onion kids. After that, you should be strong enough to not need it.

Caveat - exp up RM always is more efficient, but I personally really hate continuous s/l for agreeable RNG when grinding, so ymmv depending in your patience.

Still, quickest way is to make him eat all the eggs - if you're sitting on them for a good reason, OK is it :)

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Elephant Ambush posted:

I prefer the Haste + 10% ATK materia (Gau RM2 I think?) for soloing EXP dungeons with melee characters, as long as the character can clear waves in one turn. Loner/Solitude let you tank hits but I'd rather have the higher chance to act first.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
WIth a good synergy weapon and 9-ish total hones of attacks, a level 85+ OK can solo it pretty good. I just had my Magic and Power Breakdown on him, and was oneshotting the dragons with those. Though I also have a combined 6*+ Onion Sword, which gets like 250 attack in FF3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Anyone got Moonfrost Arrows keyed to FF8 as their RW? I want to see if I can do Ifrit without drawing on FF8 banner 1.

• Locked thread