Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does anyone know if the recent crop of Prince reissues are any good? They popped up pretty fast after he died so I'm wondering if they just poo poo out a bunch of CDs on vinyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
They sound fine to me but I'm no audiophile or anything.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Death Waltz is repressing Le Matos' Turbo Kid soundtrack, which I'd never heard before but is loving fantastic. The whole thing is on Spotify and Bandcamp.

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005
Some pickups from the last month or so.

Bad photos of good records.

Rapeman - Budd
USA Nails - No Pleasure
Animal Lover - Stay Alive
My Dad is Dead - Peace, Love and Murder
Viet Cong - EP
Waxahatchee - Ivy Tripp
Total Control - Typical System
Pord - Val Paraiso
Woven Skull - Lair of the Glowing Bantling
Silent Front - Trust
Nisennenmondai - N'
Brigid Mae Power - s/t
Rorschach - Needlepack
Zeni Geva - Disgraceland / Autobody
The Normal - Warm Leatherette/TVOD
Unwound - Kandy Korn Rituals / Against / Hating in D (Irritatingly, didn't check this properly when I bought it and it turned out to be the wrong record inside the sleeve.)

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know if the recent crop of Prince reissues are any good? They popped up pretty fast after he died so I'm wondering if they just poo poo out a bunch of CDs on vinyl.

I picked up a new copy of Controversy a while back and it sounds fine to me.

Hold off on Purple Rain though. A proper reissue's coming next year.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
welp, wasn't expecting this- got the whole story from my store but basically Sonic Boom is the worst record store and can't keep a loving secret and should be punished. I like how all his singles have a different matte/glossy black on black sleeve.

also grabbed Fist City- Greatest Splits and got a John Talabot DJ kicks CD gratis. threw in a download to share for some ambient/drone from a Deep Sea Mining Syndicate cassette.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Creature posted:

I picked up a new copy of Controversy a while back and it sounds fine to me.

Hold off on Purple Rain though. A proper reissue's coming next year.

I already have both of those anyway. I just wanted to fill in a couple holes in my collection and if I can get a brand new copy of one of them for 20 bucks I'd rather do that then give some jerk off 30+ dollars for an old copy that's "totally VG++!". I also found out that the reissue series was already well underway before Prince died so I'm less concerned about them just being lovely cash grab releases.

Thanks for the responses.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Things are starting to roll in... Pre-orders and some overseas Amazon stuff

Twin Peaks OST on drat Fine Coffee colored vinyl.

My friend's band Genders Phone Home on translucent purple wax.

Same buddy found a unopened box of a 45 his grandfather pressed and gave me one. Probably from the 50's or early 60's. Guess he was a jazz guy but it looks like they tried their hand at a novelty record. Pretty weird stuff.

Japanese Garage Comp. on purple swirl.

Tom Waits Early Years V.1-2 snagged from AmazonUK for about $25 shipped

Grabbed this without thinking 'cause it was seven bucks. When I got it I realized it was indeed all of their hits.... re recorded in the 2000's. It's not bad... just slightly off.

Goblin La Via Della Droga OST on heroin white wax :rolleyes: Dope soundtrack though...

Drive OST that I ordered drunk and paid way too much for, but damned if it isn't the most neon pink vinyl I have ever seen. This thing will definitely glow under a black light.

VMP edition of The Fugees

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.avclub.com/article/mondos-new-gremlins-soundtrack-does-stuff-when-you-246618

Mondo is at it again with the gimmicks.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Woulda been cooler if they had kept that stuff under wraps like the Blackstar stuff.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Things are starting to roll in... Pre-orders and some overseas Amazon stuff

That Sliterama comp loving rules and if you enjoy that you should get the other two volumes in that series and the related comp Sixties Japanese Garage Rock Sampler. Supposedly these were originally compiled by one of the founders of Sundazed in the early days of the label.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Cool, can't wait to dump water on a record sleeve, or get my record near heat.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I decided to drop $35 on that Le Matos record instead.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Flaggy posted:

Cool, can't wait to dump water on a record sleeve, or get my record near heat.

I'm actually shocked that they're selling it for under 50 dollars.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

That Sliterama comp loving rules and if you enjoy that you should get the other two volumes in that series and the related comp Sixties Japanese Garage Rock Sampler. Supposedly these were originally compiled by one of the founders of Sundazed in the early days of the label.

Yeah it rules. Found v.1 for cheap and it's on the way.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Numero Group seems to be throwing a bunch of stuff on sale at random. All Codeine LPs are $10. Not bad for each one being a double LP with their usual overboard linear notes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift posted:

Woulda been cooler if they had kept that stuff under wraps like the Blackstar stuff.

how would they manage to sell over priced records to movie soundtracks that were just OK?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

lu_ducky posted:

how would they manage to sell over priced records to movie soundtracks that were just OK?

If the denizens of this thread are any indication of the general record buying public, very easily

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I'm actually shocked that they're selling it for under 50 dollars.

That way when people ruin their record with the silly gimmick they can easily afford to buy another one. Or they can buy 2 and ruin one.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i support anything that gets more movie soundtracks on people's record shelves

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

stay depressed posted:

i support anything that gets more movie soundtracks on people's record shelves

While agree with the sentiment, we're also talking about the same guys who charge 50 bucks for the Jurassic Park score.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
the price of greatness is high

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

Numero Group seems to be throwing a bunch of stuff on sale at random. All Codeine LPs are $10. Not bad for each one being a double LP with their usual overboard linear notes.

Dang the Bedhead box set is 50 bucks right now which is a god drat steal

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I was half-expecting something as dumb as that liquid-filled Alien soundtrack. Like if you expose the record itself to sunlight it literally melts, or if you get it wet it splits into two records.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Hipgnosis did a record for a rock band in the 70s with the same watercolour gimmick on the inner sleeve and you had to collect different 6 covers

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Elrobot posted:

Hipgnosis did a record for a rock band in the 70s with the same watercolour gimmick on the inner sleeve and you had to collect different 6 covers

Led Zeppelin's famously terrible last album also has one of those.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Led Zeppelin's famously terrible last album also has one of those.

In Through The Out Door? Coda was the terrible last album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

While agree with the sentiment, we're also talking about the same guys who charge 50 bucks for the Jurassic Park score.

Didn't you buy that?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

In Through The Out Door? Coda was the terrible last album.

In through the out door isn't so hot either.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Kompakt put a few copies of the Gas Box up on their webstore:

http://www.kompakt.fm/releases/box

Box is sold out everywhere (the preorder I placed with Amazon months earlier got canceled the day it was supposed to ship) so I jumped on this instantly; I urge anyone reading this to do the same.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Didn't you buy that?

I did not. I really wasn't into paying that much for it.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Massive Attack is reissuing all their albums in the next couple of months. It'll be nice to pick up Heligoland without having to pay a scalper $200-300 bucks.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gin and Juche posted:

Massive Attack is reissuing all their albums in the next couple of months. It'll be nice to pick up Heligoland without having to pay a scalper $200-300 bucks.

Yep. I'd also like to have another copy of Blue Lines. My outer sleeve of my original pressing is pretty beat. I just hope they're using the same masters. They're nice sounding records.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Detective Thompson posted:

Urzeit - Anmoksha.

This album is really great.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Lungs posted:

Some pickups from the last month or so.

Bad photos of good records.

Rapeman - Budd
USA Nails - No Pleasure
Animal Lover - Stay Alive
My Dad is Dead - Peace, Love and Murder
Viet Cong - EP
Waxahatchee - Ivy Tripp
Total Control - Typical System
Pord - Val Paraiso
Woven Skull - Lair of the Glowing Bantling
Silent Front - Trust
Nisennenmondai - N'
Brigid Mae Power - s/t
Rorschach - Needlepack
Zeni Geva - Disgraceland / Autobody
The Normal - Warm Leatherette/TVOD
Unwound - Kandy Korn Rituals / Against / Hating in D (Irritatingly, didn't check this properly when I bought it and it turned out to be the wrong record inside the sleeve.)

Good hsit. That total control record is so dang good. I bought 5 unwound singles recently but ended up giving them to a friend cause even though i'd enjoy them he'd probably enjoy them more

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Oldstench posted:

This album is really great.

Yeah, it's pretty excellent. ALN has his fingers in some really drat music.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Was not aware this was getting a repressing! 750 copies. Even found it at my local store.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Was not aware this was getting a repressing! 750 copies. Even found it at my local store.

If this is the same pressing I saw at Newbury Comics it's been out there for a while now.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that's very nice. Would love to track one of those down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Send more ambulances